CyReN

Halo Championship Series Announced

If the other titles werent Bungie games I think they would get behind it, but 343 isnt going to promote games they didnt make. Makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not necessarily. The linked Polygon article goes into more information than Waypoints. To quote:

"Dubbed the Halo Championship Series, it will see 343i partner with Twitch, the ESL and other entities to form an advisory body to tournament organizers in a quest to add structure, tension and momentum to the shooter's mulitplayer community moving forward."

The article goes on to discuss that more information on these "sanctioned tournaments" will be released after MCC is out. It also has the following:

"Chou acknowledges that tournaments will retain their own styles, as organizations like ESL have a specific presentation aesthetic. "Tournaments have their own styles but they also have their own communities, and I don't want to take that away from them."

So in my eyes they have only announced ESL as a tournament organizer. All tournament organizes will have to use the HCS settings and streaming via Twitch. HCS would provide any technical/monetary help with the tournament organizers, but each tournament organizer will run the tournament in their own style. I think this opens up the board for many tournament organizers to participate and hold smaller events.

But it can't be with MLG while using twitch because MLG is promoting there whole streaming service. In order to have a halo event at MLG you would have to stream it via their website which would be breaking whatever contract 343 has with twitch.

Best part of this news is the online tournies, all the online kids whose parents aren't rich can finally compete

MLG kids for the most part are silver spoon kids

• Upvote (+1) 9

This is sick. It would be cool to know how many teams will be able to compete at these events, and what it takes to get HCS points. Hopefully they will be bigger than MLG used to be

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best part of this news is the online tournies, all the online kids whose parents aren't rich can finally compete

To be fair though. I was a MLG kid but I could never go out there and afford the luxury I've been to maybe 4-5 events with less that $80 in my pocket everytime. I am REALLY excited that I can compete and prove myself this way and not have to worry about forking out $300+ every event!

• Upvote (+1) 3

I always suspected that, but never really knew for sure.

When CE came out, I was 17. I had a $7.50/hour job at a warehouse, and I was on the verge of dropping out of high school after my tech program class was finished. While my parents weren't poor (and certainly are "well off" now days), there was no way in hell I could afford to go to these events on my own, and they certainly weren't going to help me even if they could lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The irony now is I make great money, despite bills and such living on my own without a roommate... but I'm 31 and there's no way I could compete on a level necessary to make it worth participating in.

Still though, if there are local events, FFAs or 2v2s especially, I'd throw my hat in for fun. Just for the experience and entertainment. Big, main events though, and even online events that would include all the pros and top ams... nope. My chances of doing that are long gone lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even though I am no where near good enough to bother competing and I'm too busy to do so anyway, this announcement makes me want to play the Halo eSports playlist a lot more than I was previously going to.

This is EXACTLY what the Halo franchise needed to keep the momentum going. Tournaments like these spawn players to WANT to compete that may not have been motivated to previously. I am beyond excited for this.

This is great news, super excited to hopefully be apart of Halo's climb back to the top of shooter e-sports. This puts to rest any doubts I had about 343 not being serious about e-sports, every Halo player/competitor should be forever in 343's debt for going out on a limb like this for the competitive community when a couple months back we weren't sure if there were going to be anymore "Halo pros" in 2015. I guess now people will be HCS Pro point checking instead of MLG Pro point checking lol.

This ESL partnership is especially huge.  I followed Halo passionately until it died it's horrible sprint induced death, and then I decided to build a PC and get in to CS:GO instead and ESL has done absolutely amazing things with that game.  We're about to see production and venue quality like Halo tournaments have never had before.  

Even if it is H2A, this is still super exciting.  H2A is a fine iteration of Halo in general and after the past 4 years or so we really can't be that picky.  Most franchises don't get a 2nd chance at life like we've been given.

Respect took the same route myself, the PC was initially for League and then I switched over to good ole go.

What will make or break this whole thing: 

SETTINGS

Its already broken, its H2A

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 24

Its already broken, its H2A

I know right? Hitmarkers and grenade indicators are such major problems, wow game ruined!!!!     :kappa:  x1000

• Upvote (+1) 6