CyReN

Halo Championship Series Announced

There you go again, assuming H2A is not competitive. Exactly the point I was trying to make. The only evidence you have is that 343 made Halo 4, (which was truly just an extension of Reach, a Bungie game)

If H2A fails? The competitive community will go back to a tried and true game. Everyone who cares will still be around. And new players? They probably wouldn't even be there if Halo 2 is run as the main title from the getgo.

And what is H2A exactly?  A game that stems from Halo 2.  The very game that was "so great" that there was an actual website called halo2sucks.com, which had just about as many members on that site as there were playing h2 on xbox live on any given night!  The website consisted of educated discussion about halo 2, and it's inferiority from a competitive standpoint relative to halo 1.   Check wayback machine for yourself.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615042210/http://halo2sucks.com/

Little did anyone know how awful halo 3, Reach, and halo 4 would be.  What makes you think H2A or halo 5 will be any different?  History repeats itself.  I mean damn, they have to re-release a 13 year old game just to boost Xbox One sales because "next gen" games like Destiny aren't able to do so.

My point is that if you can't have Halo CE as the main game because it requires too much skill and the young adults will have too hard of a time with it, then halo 2 is the most logical game choice even though Halo CE is worlds better in terms of skill curve required to play.  The last thing you want is a game (H2A) based on off of a game (H2) that was criticized as much as it was.

Alas this is what the competitive gaming community has become.  They'd rather play the "newest and prettiest game" instead of the game that takes the most skill. That's like competing in Euro-league basketball instead instead of the NBA lol!  

The bottom line is that all the OG halo CE competitive players that played the shit out of this game back in 2001 and onward and still travel to LANS this day to play Halo CE and also on XBC got to experience halo at it's peak when it mattered in 2003 and 2004, and all this talk about H2A being the main game of choice simply because it's the newest and most remastered is a joke to us all.  90% of us are all married with families and careers and we are just thankful that we can play CE 2v2 in custom games against each other.  However, anytime an OG tries to talk some sense into a millennial about what a real competitive experience is and what they will be missing out on if H2A is the game of choice, the conversation is more often than not met with phrases like "but those graphics are so hard on the eyes" or some other idiotic senseless logic. 

Meanwhile, all the OG's are sitting back laughing enjoying the best of both worlds.  Experiencing competitive gaming when it was at it's best, and still getting to play our game 13 years after updated to 1080p and 60 fps, and even enjoy H2C because it's the 2nd best halo game. 

Every year the torch get's passed but the problem is that now the flame is to the point where it's barely giving off any light!  Might as well burn it out completely with H2A... lol.

In any case, I will have a shit eating grin come Nov 11th when I'm playing Halo CE on xbox live, something that should have taken place long ago.  Bungie failed HARD by not remaking the game for play on live and reaping the profits when then could.  

Just remember, if not for Halo OG's making MLG what it was back then and supporting their efforts, the competitive scene as you know it today would be non existent.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 10

And what is H2A exactly?  A game that stems from Halo 2.  The very game that was "so great" that there was an actual website called halo2sucks.com, which had just about as many members on that site as there were playing h2 on xbox live on any given night!  The website consisted of educated discussion about halo 2, and it's inferiority from a competitive standpoint relative to halo 1.   Check wayback machine for yourself.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060615042210/http://halo2sucks.com/

Little did anyone know how awful halo 3, Reach, and halo 4 would be.  What makes you think H2A or halo 5 will be any different?  History repeats itself.  I mean damn, they have to re-release a 13 year old game just to boost Xbox One sales because "next gen" games like Destiny aren't able to do so.

My point is that if you can't have Halo CE as the main game because it requires too much skill and the young adults will have too hard of a time with it, then halo 2 is the most logical game choice even though Halo CE is worlds better in terms of skill curve required to play.  The last thing you want is a game (H2A) based on off of a game (H2) that was criticized as much as it was.

Alas this is what the competitive gaming community has become.  They'd rather play the "newest and prettiest game" instead of the game that takes the most skill. That's like competing in Euro-league basketball instead instead of the NBA lol!  

The bottom line is that all the OG halo CE competitive players that played the shit out of this game back in 2001 and onward and still travel to LANS this day to play Halo CE and also on XBC got to experience halo at it's peak when it mattered in 2003 and 2004, and all this talk about H2A being the main game of choice simply because it's the newest and most remastered is a joke to us all.  90% of us are all married with families and careers and we are just thankful that we can play CE 2v2 in custom games against each other.  However, anytime an OG tries to talk some sense into a millennial about what a real competitive experience is and what they will be missing out on if H2A is the game of choice, the conversation is more often than not met with phrases like "but those graphics are so hard on the eyes" or some other idiotic senseless logic. 

Meanwhile, all the OG's are sitting back laughing enjoying the best of both worlds.  Experiencing competitive gaming when it was at it's best, and still getting to play our game 13 years after updated to 1080p and 60 fps, and even enjoy H2C because it's the 2nd best halo game. 

Every year the torch get's passed but the problem is that now the flame is to the point where it's barely giving off any light!  Might as well burn it out completely with H2A... lol.

In any case, I will have a shit eating grin come Nov 11th when I'm playing Halo CE on xbox live, something that should have taken place long ago.  Bungie failed HARD by not remaking the game for play on live and reaping the profits when then could.  

Just remember, if not for Halo OG's making MLG what it was back then and supporting their efforts, the competitive scene as you know it today would be non existent.

No one is criticizing you for playing CE. Some of you people on the forum need to stop preaching that Halo: CE is the most competitive game, even if it is. Some people like to play new games, and there is nothing wrong with that (same with sticking with older games). I'm grateful for 343i porting the Halo games I grew up on; 1, 2 and 3 and giving us numerous tourneys.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No one is criticizing you for playing CE. Some of you people on the forum need to stop preaching that Halo: CE is the most competitive game, even if it is. Some people like to play new games, and there is nothing wrong with that (same with sticking with older games). I'm grateful for 343i porting the Halo games I grew up on; 1, 2 and 3 and giving us numerous tourneys.

But there's a difference between playing a new game and thinking that said new game is the most competitive game in a given series.  Everyone is grateful for the port.  They are saving the XB1 with this port!  But before deciding on which game should be chosen to be played competitively, don't you think a wise move would be to ask the opinions of those who made halo competitive gaming possible in the first place instead of just jumping to the conclusion that "newer is better"?

Another wise move would have been to have a halo CE pro present when making the port so that good advice can be given and good troubleshooting... but who's keeping score....

and this isn't an "well anyone can say this after the fact" type situation.  All this was brought to the attention of 343i well in advance on what they should consider doing.

• Downvote (-1) 2

But there's a difference between playing a new game and thinking that said new game is the most competitive game in a given series.  Everyone is grateful for the port.  They are saving the XB1 with this port!  But before deciding on which game should be chosen to be played competitively, don't you think a wise move would be to ask the opinions of those who made halo competitive gaming possible in the first place instead of just jumping to the conclusion that "newer is better"?

Another wise move would have been to have a halo CE pro present when making the port so that good advice can be given and good troubleshooting... but who's keeping score....

don't you think assuming you know the stance of all comp players on this subject of equally premature?

don't you think your oversimplifying the reason why 343 and others choosing h2a?  

don't you think assuming you know the stance of all comp players on this subject of equally premature?

don't you think your oversimplifying the reason why 343 and others choosing h2a?  

Not really.  I just think from a logical standpoint consulting with OG pros in addition to whoever else is being consulted is just a sensible thing to do.  When faced with a task or decision, one of the best things you can do is get as much feedback as possible from different sources, take in the information, and then make a well informed decision.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Not really.  I just think from a logical standpoint consulting with OG pros in addition to whoever else is being consulted is just a sensible thing to do.  When faced with a task or decision, one of the best things you can do is get as much feedback as possible from different sources, take in the information, and then make a well informed decision.

implying 343 didn't do any of this at all despite the hires and their overall philosophy on multy for mcc and h5 clearly saying otherwise.

again, explain how you know the only reason h2a is being pushed is because dem graphics brah, despite the competitive merit it obvious holds over the last 3 halo games before it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

implying 343 didn't do any of this at all despite the hires and their overall philosophy on multy for mcc and h5 clearly saying otherwise.

again, explain how you know the only reason h2a is being pushed is because dem graphics brah, despite the competitive merit it obvious holds over the last 3 halo games before it.

I'm making a logical assumption.  The # of issues that are being identified by the OG CE players like FOV, weapon times being off, hit registration noise, size of sniper reticle, etc for the halo CE port are my basis for saying that the right pros were not consulted for both the development of the game, and for the selection of which game should be played competitively.  Had these issues not been present, then I would have no worries that the right pros were being talked to but clearly that is not the case.   At this point, it's simply a matter of "let's choose H2A and hope we guessed right."

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm making a logical assumption.  The # of issues that are being identified by the OG CE players like FOV, weapon times being off, hit registration noise, size of sniper reticle, etc for the halo CE port are my basis for saying that the right pros were not consulted for both the development of the game, and for the selection of which game should be played competitively.  Had these issues not been present, then I would have no worries that the right pros were being talked to but clearly that is not the case.  

thing is the issues with the halo ce port only reflects that the handling of hce mcc did not receive the same amount of care. this has nothing to do with whether or not 343 consulted pros as to which halo should be played at a competitive level. apples to oranges.

thing is the issues with the halo ce port only reflects that the handling of hce mcc did not receive the same amount of care. this has nothing to do with whether or not 343 consulted pros as to which halo should be played at a competitive level. apples to oranges.

Actually it does.  If you are a hce pro present to consult on the development of hce, then at that time you would more than likely be privy to the details of the league and be asked to weigh in on which halo should be played at a competitive level based on your pro experience in the game that started it all.  This really isn't as difficult as you are making it out to be.  The most competitive halo league that requires the highest level of skill would be a halo league that features the game with the highest skill curve in the series.  From everything that I've read in the past 10 years, the highest skill curve game is halo CE hands down.  It really is that simple.    

Whatever the reason is for going with H2A it doesn't matter.  The bottom line is that that game doesn't contain a higher skill curve to play than halo CE does.  It's like having a board game competition and putting more weight on skill in checkers than skill in chess because checkers is a simpler game and easier to embrace.

Actually it does.  If you are a hce pro present to consult on the development of hce, then at that time you would more than likely be privy to the details of the league and be asked to weigh in on which halo should be played at a competitive level based on your pro experience in the game that started it all.  This really isn't as difficult as you are making it out to be.  The most competitive halo league that requires the highest level of skill would be a halo league that features the game with the highest skill curve in the series.  From everything that I've read in the past 10 years, the highest skill curve game is halo CE hands down.  It really is that simple.    

Whatever the reason is for going with H2A it doesn't matter.  The bottom line is that that game doesn't contain a higher skill curve to play than halo CE does.  It's like having a board game competition and putting more weight on skill in checkers than skill in chess lol!

b4 i decide to continue this discussion, answer this. do you think hce is the best halo for 4v4's? you do realize hce works best as a 2v2 game right?(hence why people are clamoring for a doubles hce playlist).

I love that every tournament organizer is using # :weback:  now. Makes me lol every time I see it knowing where it all started as a joke. :beyond:

• Upvote (+1) 6

This will be very interesting to watch. I wonder how spaced out it will be and how many will be allowed. Maybe unlimited then narrowed down like global championships. I am late to a lot of this information becuase i have been hiding from MCC news to make the wait less agonizing but its impossible to turn my eye to everything going on now ! ヽ(゚Д゚ )ノ

• Upvote (+1) 1

b4 i decide to continue this discussion, answer this. do you think hce is the best halo for 4v4's? you do realize hce works best as a 2v2 game right?(hence why people are clamoring for a doubles hce playlist).

I don't know what there is to continue quite frankly.  Yes, competitive level play should be 2v2 on Halo CE.  If you are going to have 4v4 H2A and not 4v4 H2C, at least have a 2v2 HCE portion where the skills can truly shine.  When I saw that there wasn't a 2v2 playlist for Halo CE on dedicated servers, I was pissed off.  Frankie did say though that they may trial a 2v2 TS playlist and see how it goes.  Probably about as well as my sound logical post go on this board without getting negged....

I don't know what there is to continue quite frankly.  Yes, competitive level play should be 2v2 on Halo CE.  If you are going to have 4v4 H2A and not 4v4 H2C, at least have a 2v2 HCE portion where the skills can truly shine.  When I saw that there wasn't a 2v2 playlist for Halo CE on dedicated servers, I was pissed off.  Frankie did say though that they may trial a 2v2 TS playlist and see how it goes.

that doesn't answer my question.

since the h2 mlg days, the format has always been 4v4. changing that now to 2v2 when its been that way since the beginning is impractical. since hce is not ideally played in 4v4, it was never on the table as far being the game on mcc for esports. having a 2v2 portion on the side is reasonable but at the end of the day, 4v4 is competitive halo's bread and butter.  

that doesn't answer my question.

since the h2 mlg days, the format has always been 4v4. changing that now to 2v2 when its been that way since the beginning is impractical. since hce is not ideally played in 4v4, it was never on the table as far being the game on mcc for esports. having a 2v2 portion on the side is reasonable but at the end of the day, 4v4 is competitive halo's bread and butter.

Since the hce mlg days, hce was 4v4 and 2v2. So hce 2v2 came before h2 4v4 at mlg.

Since the hce mlg days, hce was 4v4 and 2v2. So hce 2v2 came before h2 4v4 at mlg.

my point is that at no point in competitive halo was 2v2 the only format, and 4v4 has been the only format since halo 2. we're at the point where that's just not going to change.

this doesn't begin to cover how forcing the entirety of halo pros into the 2v2 format would make 3day events a nightmare. too many pros means more rounds and qualifiers which means 3 day events cant realistically happen

• Upvote (+1) 1

CE takes a certain mindset to appreciate. Most people lack that mindset. These simple realities mean that a title like H2A is a better choice for a competitive flagship. It's not about graphics; it's about the transparency of the game mechanics. Though powerup nading is a mechanic that rewards a study of the game, it's also weird and nerdy enough to be counterintuitive to the average spectator. The hitscan BR, on the other hand, delivers on What You See Is What You Get. It also makes for a better-performing online game, which is important in a league where some events will be online. 

The trailer is fun. $10k events just won't cut it, though. If we can't get enough people watching to make bigger prize pools possible, then Halo will never be bigger than it was in the H2/H3 days.