CyReN

Halo Championship Series Announced

I wouldn't go that far, Onslaught Flag was a staple of H3 MLG. I personally didn't care for it, but people loved it to death, it would probably be voted top 5 gametype if not top 3 in H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

***** we made it. 

But forreal, 343 deserves an applause for this. If successful, can bring Halo back onto the competitive scene which I hope makes it way back to MLG because MLG became boring without Halo. 

The issue you have here is how this is explicitly being ran via Twitch. I can't see MLG giving up MLG.tv for the Halo coverage. Unless MLG decide to run non HCS events.

Also the negativity in this thread is hilarious. I can imagine 343 seeing this and just thinking "why do we even bother".

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think forge maps should be fine for the most part since the new forge pallet actually looks good. Not sure if Midship would look decent if they made it in forge though, BC should be fine.

If they go with forge maps then I do think they should just go with remaking existing maps for the time being just so newer recognize the maps.

If they go with forge maps then I do think they should just go with remaking existing maps for the time being just so newer recognize the maps.

Or we could have some new forge maps and 343 could add them into all the H2A playlists so casuals are familiar with the maps. This would have many benefits:

don't have to play remakes where the meta has been completely exhausted e.g. midship, H2A only has 6 maps so the H2A playlists will probably become pretty stale after a while so 343 will be looking for a way to freshen up the experience in the H2A playlists and adding new maps is a way to do that, and it gives forgers a chance to create a map that will be seen by the majority of the community if it was implemented into MM. 

That name. Let me just double check though. How do you feel about the word below?

Ridley

Yes it is me lol.

I'm honestly glad Quinn put Gandhi in his place. Since the MCC has been announced, all I have seen is people complain about this thing and that thing left and right and it's been awful. And I'm not talking about giving suggestions to improve the game or fix what is broken/not correct in the game - I'm talking about what game is better and why, which is better for competitive, and so on and so on.

In the perfect world - I would have LOVED to see the main game for the HCS to be Halo 2 Classic. It is pretty much completely agreed upon that Halo 2 is the best for 4v4s, and who wouldn't have wanted to see Halo 2 Classic be the main game? Of course everyone would. But will you see me complaining and saying "meh" or "well that sucks" because it's H2A and not H2C? No. 

First of all - anyone following this and looking at it from an overall perspective should have seen this coming. Halo 2 Anniversary is the new game - and 343 has already run tournaments with H2A as the game. It's their new game they want out there so that more and more new people see it and want to play it. And I'm fine with that. Why? Because we are being given something(s) - and more - that we have been asking for for so long now. 

All we have wanted is dev support - and now we have it. Has it been perfect? No - but that doesn't mean it is far from a great thing. We get a fucking championship tournament series for Halo and people still complain. It just blows my mind remembering how Halo had hit absolute rock bottom not too long ago and all people wanted was dev support and some kind of tournament scene once again for Halo and then when we get it - no surprise, people still complain. It's been so much constant arguments between all the various types of Halo players on which game is better, which takes more skill and it has just gone on and on and on. Some of the people on these forums contribute absolutely nothing to discussions and every other post is "Halo ____ is better, you are wrong. Get out." Seriously? Grow up. We get it you like your game, but stop shoving it down other peoples throats and making them feel like they are wrong because their favorite Halo game is not the one you think is the superior game.

Again - would I have preferred to see Halo 2 classic? Definitely. Am I mad or saying "well it's not that great" because it isn't H2C? Nope. I'm grateful that we have anything right now to begin with. If you like competitive Halo, then why are you sitting here still complaining instead of being happy that we have anything at all right now? No one is forcing you to play H2A, and no one is forcing you to watch H2A tournaments. But if you actually enjoy competitive Halo, then go support it.

We finally have what we have been begging for for years now. How about we put aside the bitching for more than 30 seconds and actually support and be happy for the fact that we have any kind of dev support at all. After how dreadful the last few years have been, I'm ecstatic to see something actually happening with Halo to bring back even a small amount of it's legitimacy as a competitive game, because for a long time, it looked as if Halo was done and done for good.

/rant  

+1. Great post.

Sup Rapture, didn't know you posted on here. :halo:

Just started recently xD

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damn. Everyone is on the bash Gandhi bandwagon now for a stupid tweet he made. This is why twitter is bad. 140 characters is never enough for context, So I'll just paste what I did in OT in his defense. 

He did get "destroyed" by Quinn. The funny thing is, I've been watching a few of his streams for the past couple of months, and he said H2A would definitely be the game used for tournaments outside of a few throwback events. He mentioned how Halo players can't rely on forge and change the settings for future titles because it will alienate part of the potential audience. He said 343i does have to innovate and the community has to embrace the game.... But I think this particular tweet was just him finally resigned to the fact that he won't be able to compete at a high level for one last season. Its not an elitest "H2A sucks" tweet but a "H2C was my last chance" at competing again tweet. I think he appreciates what 343i is doing for the Halo scene. 

WHAT IS THIS POSITIVE BULLSHIT?!?!? 

"why do we even bother".

To be honest, I hope they do and this dies quick. This community overall does not deserve this kind of league. Too many idiots in here with rich kid syndrome had mommy and daddy hold their hands all their life and think they're entitled to everything.

You want to talk about Halo 4 pub players getting handed free kills, but you're expecting Halo 2 and Halo CE to do well at events without growing a grass roots scene? Funny joke.

Could care less if anybody agrees with me or not. People don't care about Halo and the community in here, they care about their own interest. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Its not an elitest "H2A sucks" tweet but a "H2C was my last chance" at competing again tweet. I think he appreciates what 343i is doing for the Halo scene. 

It's not a "H2A sucks", but it's definitely a "H2C is better and you could have picked a better game 343". Quinn responded just fine to that.

Funny how everyone is quick to criticize 343 until someone starts talking back. I'm glad Quinn let him know, even if the response was passive aggressive. This is a once in a lifetime kind of chance and whether it's Gandhi or someone else, it's not OK to call them out and hint that it could have been better.

He entirely had it coming, and H2A wins would be within his grasp if he put in the time to practice. He's not a dumb or bad player by any means, in fact, he's smart enough to know that the H2 metagame hasn't been evolving for the past years and would make potential wins easier for him.

But that's not how it works. You don't take a 6-7 year break from competitive Halo and come back expecting it to cater to you. HCS is LITERALLY the miracle Halo needed, and it's deserving of almost blind support.

• Upvote (+1) 6

This is a once in a lifetime kind of chance and whether it's Gandhi or someone else, it's not OK to call them out and hint that it could have been better.

Seriously?

This is a great time to point out where/how it can be better.  Obviously it's better if such observations/suggestions are communicated eloquently and respectfully.  However I strongly, strongly disagree with the sentiment that we should just be happy with what we have.  Disagreement is not something offensive that needs to be stamped out. 

I'm personally grateful for the HCS, and at the same time I'm not in complete agreement with all of the decisions made about how it will be run.  The idea that it's impossible for a person to point out something that they don't agree with regarding the HCS, and still be happy for its existence is really short sighted and inaccurate.  The world is not black and white.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticism.  While Quinn, or any other person involved with any project, may not enjoy some of the criticisms they see, I'm sure they recognize the great value of criticism (even when it's not expressed in an ideal manner).

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Seriously?

This is a great time to point out where/how it can be better.  Obviously it's better if such observations/suggestions are communicated eloquently and respectfully.  However I strongly, strongly disagree with the sentiment that we should just be happy with what we have.  Disagreement is not something offensive that needs to be stamped out. 

I'm personally grateful for the HCS, and at the same time I'm not in complete agreement with all of the decisions made about how it will be run.  The idea that it's impossible for a person to point out something that they don't agree with regarding the HCS, and still be happy for its existence is really short sighted and inaccurate.  The world is not black and white.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticism.  While Quinn, or any other person involved with any project, may not enjoy some of the criticisms they see, I'm sure they recognize the great value of criticism (even when it's not expressed in an ideal manner).

It wasn't criticism, he literally just said H2C would be a better option than H2A. It's called an opinion, and a biased one at that. It translated as "Bungie made a better / more competitive game than yours, and it would be better for tournaments".

It wasn't criticism, he literally just said H2C would be a better option than H2A. It's called an opinion, and a biased one at that. It translated as "Bungie made a better / more competitive game than yours, and it would be better for tournaments".

Or, he was just looking forward to competing in H2C tournaments again, and was sad to realize it's probably not going to happen.  The statement is ambiguous enough to allow many interpretations.

However, I was only responding to your statement that "it's not OK to call them out and hint that it could have been better", since it seems to be a popular stance on the forums recently, and I hardily disagree with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

However, I was only responding to your statement that "it's not OK to call them out and hint that it could have been better", since it seems to be a popular stance on the forums recently, and I hardily disagree with it.

The logic behind it is that they're doing the whole HCS to promote their games (H2A & H5), not Bungie's. Obviously, they aren't doing this for the sole purpose of entertaining competitive players. They want to get sales and solidify their presence as game developers, and prove that their games can be competitive. 

We got so incredibly lucky that something like this even happened, because of the time, resources and manpower it will take, and yet people find a way to complain about it. It just feels surreal to me.

343 didn't make h2a tho, certain affinity did.

to be frank, 343 put more effort into ce multiplayer than any other multiplayer on this disc.

also 343 owns all the halos. people who work there worked on halos before halo4.

and really the statement "343 shouldn't hold tournaments for a game they didnt make it" is one of the dumbest things i've heard and it directly conflicts with what 343 said in the article on polygon

This post is all kinds of false and misguided.

We're fully committed to providing a brighter future for competitive Halo, and we really felt that this was the best direction to take the event for anyone who wants a serious chance at a 'career' in eSports.

We're apologise if we've let anyone down with the game switch. If you want a refund on your team-pass or donation, will provide that for you without hassle - just send us an email.

HCS is one of the best things to happen to competitive Halo to date.

Yes, the game may not be everyone's first choice - yet - but a standardized point system that doesn't rely on any single event organizer makes competing and hosting events better for players, developers and organisers. 343 are likely using this as a test-bed for the next generation of games, and we think it's a wise move to make which is why we decided to support it.

We would certainly aim to host a Halo 2 Classic event at some point, however the interest has to be there in order for it to be the right decision to make.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/7460-ugc-lan-switches-to-h2a-is-now-apart-of-hcs-20k-prize-pool/

By the way:

People who bitch about Forge, and who think Forge maps should not be in competitive play (or worse, that Forge should be gone all together) are being ridiculous. Forge isn't the problem: the maps people make with them are, as are the people responsible for incorporating them. Forge is a powerful tool (especially now with H2A) and is fully capable of making great, fun, competitive maps in the hands of the right person(s).

I remember a while back, someone (RunningRiot4Fun, I believe it was, not 100% sure though) saying something akin to (I'm paraphrasing), "If the developers would just give us good / competitive maps out of the box, Forge wouldn't be needed and could just go away". That is literally one of the most short-sighted, dumbest things I've seen posted on these forums. Forge isn't there because Bungie/343 doesn't/didn't want to give us good maps, or were incapable of doing so, or were too lazy, et cetera. It's there because they know there are talented people out there that are fully capable of making amazing maps, and why not empower those people instead of limiting us on only playing what they give us, good or bad? The goal shouldn't be to get great out-of-the-box maps & get rid of Forge, it should be get great out-of-the-box maps from the start & make Forge as robust and flexible as possible to have even more great maps, as well as garner a new group/type of players: those who both love to play Halo as well as build/create things.

With that all being said, H2A's Forge is amazingly flexible, robust, and detailed. With enough attention to the approval & filtering process, there's no reason we couldn't have a great many amazing Forge maps both in matchmaking as well as in the tournament / competitive environment. Having that happen not only benefits players, but also benefits the creators and gives them even more motivation to improve and create.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Looks like Iron Gaming switched to H2A along with UGC

All i know is i saw Dmaq's name come up, haven't seen that guy at a tourney in forever. 

I would love to see some old school Dmaq analysis.

#statisticallyspeaking

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm actually kinda sad that Iron Gaming and UGC are switching their events to H2A. I was really hoping to see some H2C tournaments alongside all the H2A tournaments, but oh well. Still amazed with everything we are finally getting.

• Upvote (+1) 1