CyReN

Halo Championship Series Announced

They can run anything on the side that they want.  As long as they are running H2A and follow the guidelines in place they are seen as a participant. 

Gotcha, thats somewhat good news then.

Someone definitely has to remake Midship first thing in H2A now. That will lessen the pain a little bit.  -_-

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think it matters if it's their game or not, It's Halo 2's anniversary. After Halo 4, it's high time they started catering to the real fans, the hardcore players that have been around since CE. I know where we were two years ago and I'm not complaining about the opportunity to win money from playing a video game. I do however, as a person and original Halo player, have a right to complain about what game I'm being forced to play. 

...and I have been humble and grateful towards 343 since they took the helm. Unfortunately they were terrible about handling Halo 4 post launch and BS Angel personally treated me like garbage during the Infinity Challenge.

H2C should be the game, but only because Halo CE has too much of a skill curve and would be too off putting to new gamers.  Can you imagine some former CoD pro trying to get into a Halo CE tourney practicing for 12 hours a day 6 months straight and still coming in last place against Halo CE pro vets?  It would be too much for any circuit to handle mentally.  

Is star craft 2 the latest and greatest game?  No, but why is it on the MLG circuit year after year after year after year?

Because it's a GOOD competitive game.  These companies need to quit worrying about "games with new graphics that will attract new kids" and instead stick to a tried and true business model.   Choose games that people actually WANT to play, not that you think they will play because it's your latest and newest product....

If you talk to the Melee community, maybe. But that isn't a general consensus across the entire Smash community.

That name. Let me just double check though. How do you feel about the word below?

Ridley

• Upvote (+1) 1

But this isn't a PC RTS, it's a console FPS...

They need to attract the casuals in order to gain viewership. The reality is that people want to see the newest halo played.

Also another problem with picking H2c as the game is people will say "well if we're playing a classic game why not play CE?" and vice versa for h2 fans. It would split the community.

H2C should be the game, but only because Halo CE has too much of a skill curve and would be too off putting to new gamers.  Can you imagine some former CoD pro trying to get into a Halo CE tourney practicing for 12 hours a day 6 months straight and still coming in last place against Halo CE pro vets?  It would be too much for any circuit to handle mentally.  

Is star craft 2 the latest and greatest game?  No, but why is it on the MLG circuit year after year after year after year?

Because it's a GOOD competitive game.  These companies need to quit worrying about "games with new graphics that will attract new kids" and instead stick to a tried and true business model.   Choose games that people actually WANT to play, not that you think they will play because it's your latest and newest product....

Starcraft 2 is also the latest in that series, and is still the best RTS of the last few years. If and when Starcraft 3 comes out it will be used.

I get what you are saying but CoD has been using the current title for a long time now even though the current title is not always the best. 

Some people here aren't even giving H2A a chance, because quite honestly they are blinded by nostalgia. If H2A turns out to be H4 2.0 then by all means we should probably go back to a proven game like Halo 2 Classic or CE, but H2A has not proven to be H4 2.0 and has not even had a chance yet. 

Sure, 343i pushing their game kind of lessens the chances of the other games in the collection. However, this is a huge opportunity for Halo and we really should go along for the ride and see where it takes us. The greatest thing is that we HAVE the classic experiences to fall back onto if things go south with H2A or H5. If 343 sees that those games aren't viable or aren't being well recieved by the community, then who knows maybe we would see a complete return to H2C or CE. For now though, they will push their games (you would too). IMHO H2A looks great and more like a Halo game than Reach, 4 and even 3 did. Let's just see what happens before we riot.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm honestly glad Quinn put Gandhi in his place. Since the MCC has been announced, all I have seen is people complain about this thing and that thing left and right and it's been awful. And I'm not talking about giving suggestions to improve the game or fix what is broken/not correct in the game - I'm talking about what game is better and why, which is better for competitive, and so on and so on.

In the perfect world - I would have LOVED to see the main game for the HCS to be Halo 2 Classic. It is pretty much completely agreed upon that Halo 2 is the best for 4v4s, and who wouldn't have wanted to see Halo 2 Classic be the main game? Of course everyone would. But will you see me complaining and saying "meh" or "well that sucks" because it's H2A and not H2C? No. 

First of all - anyone following this and looking at it from an overall perspective should have seen this coming. Halo 2 Anniversary is the new game - and 343 has already run tournaments with H2A as the game. It's their new game they want out there so that more and more new people see it and want to play it. And I'm fine with that. Why? Because we are being given something(s) - and more - that we have been asking for for so long now. 

All we have wanted is dev support - and now we have it. Has it been perfect? No - but that doesn't mean it is far from a great thing. We get a fucking championship tournament series for Halo and people still complain. It just blows my mind remembering how Halo had hit absolute rock bottom not too long ago and all people wanted was dev support and some kind of tournament scene once again for Halo and then when we get it - no surprise, people still complain. It's been so much constant arguments between all the various types of Halo players on which game is better, which takes more skill and it has just gone on and on and on. Some of the people on these forums contribute absolutely nothing to discussions and every other post is "Halo ____ is better, you are wrong. Get out." Seriously? Grow up. We get it you like your game, but stop shoving it down other peoples throats and making them feel like they are wrong because they don't like your game.

Again - would I have preferred to see Halo 2 classic? Definitely. Am I mad or saying "well it's not that great" because it isn't H2A? Nope. I'm grateful that we have anything right now to begin with. If you like competitive Halo, then why are you sitting here still complaining instead of being happy that we have anything at all right now? No one is forcing you to play H2A, and no one is forcing you to watch H2A tournaments. But if you actually enjoy competitive Halo, then go support it.

We finally have what we have been begging for for years now. How about we put aside the bitching for more than 30 seconds and actually support and be happy for the fact that we have any kind of dev support at all. After how dreadful the last few years have been, I'm ecstatic to see something actually happening with Halo to bring back even a small amount of it's legitimacy as a competitive game, because for a long time, it looked as if Halo was done and done for good.

/rant  

I feel the exact same way. The skill argument is literally beyond ********, and the people who always boast about what game is "better" need to be cracked down upon(banned), because it is bloody annoying to be honest.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Holy shit this is awsome. Didn't expect 343 to be running a league. Also I don't know why people would even complain; the pax and gamescom tourney were extremely fun to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Holy shit this is awsome. Didn't expect 343 to be running a league. Also I don't know why people would even complain; the pax and gamescom tourney were extremely fun to watch.

I agree, it actually felt like Halo again.  :weback:

Starcraft 2 is also the latest in that series, and is still the best RTS of the last few years. If and when Starcraft 3 comes out it will be used.

I get what you are saying but CoD has been using the current title for a long time now even though the current title is not always the best.

Some people here aren't even giving H2A a chance, because quite honestly they are blinded by nostalgia. If H2A turns out to be H4 2.0 then by all means we should probably go back to a proven game like Halo 2 Classic or CE, but H2A has not proven to be H4 2.0 and has not even had a chance yet.

Sure, 343i pushing their game kind of lessens the chances of the other games in the collection. However, this is a huge opportunity for Halo and we really should go along for the ride and see where it takes us. The greatest thing is that we HAVE the classic experiences to fall back onto if things go south with H2A or H5. If 343 sees that those games aren't viable or aren't being well recieved by the community, then who knows maybe we would see a complete return to H2C or CE. For now though, they will push their games (you would too). IMHO H2A looks great and more like a Halo game than Reach, 4 and even 3 did. Let's just see what happens before we riot.

So what happens if H2A flops and new players lose interest in "Halo"?

Better to use a tried and true game that is actually competitive.

So what happens if it flourishes? Why are you using hypothetical scenarios to try and get your point across lmao give it a damn chance.

• Upvote (+1) 6

There you go again, assuming H2A is not competitive. Exactly the point I was trying to make. The only evidence you have is that 343 made Halo 4, (which was truly just an extension of Reach, a Bungie game)

If H2A fails? The competitive community will go back to a tried and true game. Everyone who cares will still be around. And new players? They probably wouldn't even be there if Halo 2 is run as the main title from the getgo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If people lose interest in H2A, well it's free money for whoever puts in the time to practice and show up at HCS events against a weaker competition...

You know what would be better though? Not worrying about how popular a game is going to be before it's even out. H2A has all the tools to succeed as an eSport, it looks like what H4 should have been, and also tons better than Halo 3. It's an exciting prospect, because H3 as sick in itself and was VERY popular on MLG.

We'll see this weekend.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think all arguments as to which game(s) "should" have been included in the HCS should cease after that great rant by @@Proto. Well done man. Now lets move on to arguing about the best players/teams for the brand spanking new HCS!!!!!!

:weback: 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I would love some HCE side tournaments just because we already have H2 tournaments out there( in the form of H2A), even though im  a  hardcore h2c fanboy, Halo CE tournaments as a side would be a nice  addition that would motivate a lot of people to lears Halo CE.

It's as simple as this. H2A is their game. H2C is not.

The prize pools you'll see at HCS also happens to be their cash. 

You need to realize that you have NO right to complain about being given a chance at winning money, let alone when we're talking about video games. If you want to host tournaments for H2C, no one will stop you, and I'm sure you'll get tons of support for it. But the cash won't come out of thin air. Someone, somewhere, has to pay for it, and if you can do it, awesome, tons of people will help make it work. If not, you'll have to find someone who can... and it's either you accept their part of the deal, or stay out of it. Because you sure as heck have the choice to.

Same thing here. You take it, or NOTHING. Take a pick. Don't argue, just pick.

QFT. We've always had the option of throwing our own tourneys and events, and guess what? There were no live events.* We had the chance to go full FGC/Hypefestation and do grassroots community-run events, and we didn't.** So if someone else offers to throw money at us, it's a joke to complain. ESPECIALLY when it's an org as renowned as ESL.

It's like yall forgot what this place was like when nobody was hosting any live events and we were all sitting around with our dicks in our hands waiting for someone to throw us a bone.

A lot of orgs will probably switch to H2A to be a part of HCS. So if you want a tourney for your favorite game, you're going to have to do it yourself. No one owes it to you.

*except shit-tier TOs that came in to make a profit like AGL

**specifically talking about live events. Much love to all the folks who organized online tourneys and streamed in the down period.

People did vote for Brawl. But when the charity movement and "spirit bomb" stuff happened, which rallied a lot of support for Melee, the entire community decided to vote for Melee because that had the best chance to make the line-up. Of course, a lot of ppl wanted Melee and solely Melee there, but many others, like myself, voted for Melee because Smash is Smash and it didn't matter which one was on the roster as long as it was one of them.

And if you've seen the reaction to Smash 4, people have embraced a new game. But it's hard to move on from a legendary game that's back on the rise again, I'm sure a lot of ppl around here can understand that.

Anyway, whether its H2A or H2C or CE or whatever, I'm excited. H2A looks awesome though, should be awesome competition.

Sup Rapture, didn't know you posted on here. :halo:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Listen to this video at 1 hour 11 minutes into it.

What's great about this vid is that it proves just how great the halo series is. 

Haha I knew they were good, but didn't know Gandhi considered them top 2 together. Thanks for the insight. With everything I see about Halo nowadays, I get more and more excited for MCC. I can't wait for Tuesday.

***** we made it. 

But forreal, 343 deserves an applause for this. If successful, can bring Halo back onto the competitive scene which I hope makes it way back to MLG because MLG became boring without Halo. 

LOL the Halo Championship Series was just announced. What everyone wanted to happen and all I'm reading outside of a few people is bitching and complaining. What is wrong with this community?

• Upvote (+1) 1