Sign in to follow this  
RandyROFLSTOMP

Flagnum vs Speedflag

Flagnum vs Speedflag  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better for competitive play: Flagnum or Speedflag?

• Flagnum
    • Speedflag

Classic CTF is gone. The choices we have are Speedflag, which allows the user to fire his weapon while carrying the flag, or Flagnum which is the standard Halo 4 CTF experience. Which CTF gametype is better for competitive play? Why?

There always has been a downside to picking up any objective so it requires more teamwork to score.

With Speedflag you don't have that and therefore it should stay an action sack gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There always has been a downside to picking up any objective so it requires more teamwork to score.

With Speedflag you don't have that and therefore it should stay an action sack gametype.

What if Speedflag mechanics were used, being able to fire your weapon while carrying the flag, but we still slowed the carrier's movement speed like normal CTF?

What if Speedflag mechanics were used, being able to fire your weapon while carrying the flag, but we still slowed the carrier's movement speed like normal CTF?

What if you have Rockets, Sniper? Just as an example: There are many situations where its a 1v1 or 1v2 in the opponents base. Should you pull the flag? Stay alive and wait for your teammates? Give up on the cap and reset for another push with rocks?

Overall I personally see more of a diverse meta-game and more important weighing on decisions without the speedflag mechanic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speedflag is the closest we can get to flag dropping, being able to use your weapon even after you pull the flag, so it seems like a viable alternative to Flagnum.

The real question is which is the lesser of two evils:

-not being able to use your primary or power weapon while carrying the flag (Flagnum)

-not having to drop the flag to use your primary or power weapon (Speedflag)

That's true both offer some aspects of the original flag dropping mechanic...

Seeing that the Flagnum works well in a competitive environment I don't really see the need of getting rid of it.

Another question is if it's really worth abandoning a vanilla mechanic when the alternative is arguably equal (better by a very slight margin while introducing a minor downside).

Unrelated I think our priority should be reaching out to 343 and get the option to enable flag juggling and disable the Flagnum in custom games for competitive gametypes (for Halo 5). The Flagnum isn't a bad addition IMO it's just that for competitive settings the old mechanic is superior. The problem doesn't lie in the new gametype they introduced but the lack of custom game options/alternatives...

• Upvote (+1) 2

CoD can keep their speedflag.  The old way you could still use your primary but lets be honest, it's not like they were really helping to teamshoot or anything.  They were preoccupied with running the flag.  They weren't doing the drop/pick up so they could help their team, they did it because it was the fastest way to run the flag.  The flagnum is already pretty beastly if you pace your shots.  There is no reason to have someone with the flag being able to cross map people.  Having the object should give you a disadvantage since it's the only way to score points.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Agree with keeping the flagnum. Speedflag would simply be OP, especially in a situation where the flag is out in the open and both teams are fighting for it. Running for a touch wouldn´t even give you the disadvantage of having to wait to get the flagnum animation done until you´re able to shoot, but as well keep your strong precision rifle.

There´s no way speedflag could be better in competitive settings IMO

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agree with keeping the flagnum. Speedflag would simply be OP, especially in a situation where the flag is out in the open and both teams are fighting for it. Running for a touch wouldn´t even give you the disadvantage of having to wait to get the flagnum animation done until you´re able to shoot, but as well keep your strong precision rifle.

There´s no way speedflag could be better in competitive settings IMO

Touch return?

Touch return?

Where´s the skill in that?

Doesn't have anything to do with skill really... Generally speaking touch-return makes it harder to cap a flag and 3 second-return makes it harder to prevent a flag cap.

Halo CE also had touch return. The kill times where much faster back then to the point where it was harder to even get to the flag when someone was watching it.

If you take the longer kill time we have now a 3 second return seems appropriate to me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

A no-sprint speedflag gametype where the carrier moves at normal speed, but has AA usage disabled, and a three second return timer on the flag is what I think would work the best.

Flagnum.

I actually have no problem with this CTF gametype. I enjoy it just as much as old school halo ctf.

You don't miss passing a flag to your team mate through the top window on Battle Canyon/Beaver Creek?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, neither of these options are preferrable. But flagnum is by far the more competitive setting. As others have mentioned, you put yourself at a 3v4 disadvantage when you pick up the flag so it requires teamwork and setting up to score. The flagnum makes it more of a 3.5v4 but its a lot better than the 4v4 that is presented with speedflag. I mean if you have rockets or sniper, you pretty much guarantee a capture. That's not right

• Upvote (+1) 2

What makes you say this? Just a hunch?

Ninja and Ghost pushed for it while they were at 343. They'll at the very least give us an option for it in customs, meaning it'll at least be in the competitive playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, neither of these options are preferrable. But flagnum is by far the more competitive setting. As others have mentioned, you put yourself at a 3v4 disadvantage when you pick up the flag so it requires teamwork and setting up to score. The flagnum makes it more of a 3.5v4 but its a lot better than the 4v4 that is presented with speedflag. I mean if you have rockets or sniper, you pretty much guarantee a capture. That's not right

I disagree about having a power weapon while flag running being a guaranteed cap.

You don't mind losing your power weapon if you want to flag run?

I disagree about having a power weapon while flag running being a guaranteed cap.

You don't mind losing your power weapon if you want to flag run?

Consider this situation. Two opponents appear right in front of you while you're running a flag. In classic Halo, you would need one or more teammates to keep the cap going or you would have to abandon the flag or die. In flagnum settings, you at least can try to get one guy down to no shields for someone to clean up. In speedflag, if you have a power weapon like the rockets, one pull of the right trigger clears out the opponents and you're in the clear.

It's pretty obvious the classic flag mechanics were the most competitive, flagnum in the middle, and speedflag simply an action sack/casual gametype

Or you could drop the flag and use your power weapon. That is much closer to Speedflag than Flagnum.

That's classic flag my friend. That's what we all want

• Upvote (+1) 1

Consider this situation. Two opponents appear right in front of you while you're running a flag. In classic Halo, you would need one or more teammates to keep the cap going or you would have to abandon the flag or die. In flagnum settings, you at least can try to get one guy down to no shields for someone to clean up. In speedflag, if you have a power weapon like the rockets, one pull of the right trigger clears out the opponents and you're in the clear.

It's pretty obvious the classic flag mechanics were the most competitive, flagnum in the middle, and speedflag simply an action sack/casual gametype

why does the classic settings allow for you to have help from teammates, while flagnum you can't? lol its pretty obvious these situations are skewed