HaloNut252

Does 343i know how unpopular H4 was?

I guess that's a dumb question, they obviously know. The question is, why would they continue in this direction if it had the biggest drop off in Xbox live history?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 7

What direction are you talking about?

H2A looks good to me. No sprint, It has descope, and no BS weapon drops or loadouts. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

What direction are you talking about?

H2A looks good to me. No sprint, It has descope, and no BS weapon drops or loadouts.

I mean not just in terms of individual minor/major gameplay elements, H4 was a major departure from the original trilogy in terms of the graphics and gameplay. It looks and feels almost nothing like Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The Halo 4 ENGINE was fine, the gameplay mechanics were fine. The weapons needed tuning and balance. H2A runs an a modified H4 game engine and looks fantastic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't complement Halo 4 often.

That is to say, I don't ever really complement Halo 4. Ever. There's a ton of day/week/month/year one shit that wasn't there. The loadouts were horribly constructed. Sprint and the map sizes need no explanation. The only good maps were Haven and a few forge variants (one of which was a giant-ass Lockout). lolBinary Rifle. lolPromethean Vision. lolNo flag dropping. lolBall throwing. lolExtraction. lolThe announcer. lolThe medals. lolThat horrible plot.

I mean, I guess, in the end, they kind of got the weapon balancing better. The AR wasn't trash, and I felt like I could pick up most of the weapons and kill with them. That's about it.

I don't like ball throwing in Halo 2A. And I don't like many of the map changes made to the original 6 maps. I guess I'm glad that it can all be turned off, but I'm hoping for some better Forge maps.

Oh these threads.

You know you can select playlists entirely without Halo 4 right? I'm sure 343i realizes their mistakes with H4, doing a service and bringing back the two most competitive Halos to Xbox Live, one of which actually having a first time being put on Xbox Live at all. Bungie influenced Halo 4 to an extent even if they didn't develop it. 343i felt they needed to build off Halo Reach's design because they "didn't want to" break their (Bungie's) vision, which is what people had a problem with.

What some don't realize is that Reach is where a lot of Halo 4's problems rooted from.

Also I guess I'm casual trash for both enjoying Halo 4 and admitting it wasn't nearly competitive?

I would guess that they are aware that H4 was not well received but will insist on "fixing" these new "features" instead of going back to Halo's roots/core and then innovating from there.

The Halo 4 ENGINE was fine, the gameplay mechanics were fine. The weapons needed tuning and balance. H2A runs an a modified H4 game engine and looks fantastic.

No I'm saying the engine was one of the main problems. It changed the entire look and feel of the game! How did this not bother you?

• Downvote (-1) 1

No I'm saying the engine was one of the main problems. It changed the entire look and feel of the game! How did this not bother you?

Because not everyone is vehemently disgusted with Halo 4? Reach already pushed some technical ceilings of the 360, but the hardware had nothing left but squeeze room to run Halo 4. Its lighting did not do the (decent) aesthetic elements justice.

Oh these threads.

You know you can select playlists entirely without Halo 4 right? I'm sure 343i realizes their mistakes with H4, doing a service and bringing back the two most competitive Halos to Xbox Live, one of which actually having a first time being put on Xbox Live at all. Bungie influenced Halo 4 to an extent even if they didn't develop it. 343i felt they needed to build off Halo Reach's design because they "didn't want to" break their (Bungie's) vision, which is what people had a problem with.

What some don't realize is that Reach is where a lot of Halo 4's problems rooted from.

Also I guess I'm casual trash for both enjoying Halo 4 and admitting it wasn't nearly competitive?

I never said anything negative about those who are still able to enjoy 4, it's a good game. It's just not Halo, at all.

I agree about Reach, I think they should've acted as if it had never existed. A Halo 4 redo. Hopefully that's what we'll get but based on H2A gameplay it seems unlikely. Pride is deadly.

Halo 4 engine = Halo 3 engine = halo reach engine= halo ce engine = halo 2  engine 

....they are built on top of each other....nothing wrong with the engine, just something wrong with the development ideas..

• Upvote (+1) 2

The only redeeming factors about Halo 4 was its single player campaign and the netcoding / hit registration online. Honestly one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played online in that respect. If every single game in the MCC gets that treatment to shot registry, I would be extremely excited.

I wish this thread was actually related to the title and not just how bad h4 was because I've always wondered how the meetings and discussions went at at 343

Halo 4 engine = Halo 3 engine = halo reach engine= halo ce engine = halo 2 engine

....they are built on top of each other....nothing wrong with the engine, just something wrong with the development ideas..

Wait they are?? Then what is it that makes the movement/look/feel of H4 and Reach so distinctly different from the trilogy? Is it really just the changed look/design and sound?

I wish this thread was actually related to the title and not just how bad h4 was because I've always wondered how the meetings and discussions went at at 343

What title?

I think it's as simple as this:

If the MCC / H2A somehow does better than Halo 4 did, assuming we're looking at some sort of population sustain metric, then there is a good chance it will have a big influence on the direction H5 MP takes. Seeing how H2A uses a more modern H4 build with less bugs, and most likely has a ton of hidden assets we can't use (weapons, models, etc.) it would be reasonable for 343 to use it for H5.

So basically we have to get as many people as possible to play it and stick to it, in order to prove that it's the kind of game we like better, and that we (as fans of arena shooters) are still around and supportive. Even classic CE / H2 / H3 is fine. It's just a situation where the best way to convey a message to Microsoft is by using numbers, and now we're getting all we ever wanted. It's time to let them know.

I mean, spreading positive thinking helps too. I know the devs got a lot of backlash during the H4 days, so I'm sure they'd notice a change and like it better themselves.

I agree with everyone else, there was nothing wrong with the engine. 343 wanted to give halo a new look and kt make it stand out amongst all the other halos. The only problem is that they made it into a complete different game as far as concepts go. I think the graphics were amazing, in order to make a new game successful you need to make it feel new but have some old aspects along with it.

As far as reach goes did anyone ever feel that bungie did what they did because they already knew Microsoft wasn't going to renew their contract with them? Yes 343 developed the multiplayer for reach but bungie heavily influenced it.

Halo 4 engine = Halo 3 engine = halo reach engine= halo ce engine = halo 2 engine

This is false.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone who says the Halo 4 engine is bad doesn't know what a game engine actually is.

I guess that's a dumb question, they obviously know. The question is, why would they continue in this direction if it had the biggest drop off in Xbox live history?

Continue in what direction?

Halo 4 engine = Halo 3 engine = halo reach engine= halo ce engine = halo 2  engine 

Let's just clear this up right now. 

Actual definition of "game engine" = has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay whatsoever (except for things like collision physics)

What people mean when they say "Halo engine" = the underlying mechanics/coding/variables for which there are no better descriptors that determine how the game feels under your fingers

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with everyone else, there was nothing wrong with the engine. 343 wanted to give halo a new look and kt make it stand out amongst all the other halos. The only problem is that they made it into a complete different game as far as concepts go. I think the graphics were amazing, in order to make a new game successful you need to make it feel new but have some old aspects along with it.

As far as reach goes did anyone ever feel that bungie did what they did because they already knew Microsoft wasn't going to renew their contract with them? Yes 343 developed the multiplayer for reach but bungie heavily influenced it.

Oh ok, so the only gripe people had was with those specific gameplay elements and not the entirely new look/feel/movement (aside from sprint of course)? Maybe I'm confused as to what a game engine actually is.

Anyone who says the Halo 4 engine is bad doesn't know what a game engine actually is.

Continue in what direction?

Yeah u guess I really don't know what a game engine actually is, my mistake. What exactly is it?

And by direction I meant the aspects of H4 I thought were the engine: the redesigned look and feel.