Proven

What are you guys doing for Voice Chat for MCC?

The new a40 for Xbox one is stereo only right? Wouldn't surround sound be a must or do you feel it is over-rated in a headset? I'm going to try the turtle beach 500x as they have surround and are fully wireless (no wire to the controller).

Just plug the stock mic in and put it around your neck and play voice through speakers so you can hear.

Just plug the stock mic in and put it around your neck and play voice through speakers so you can hear.

You cant set voice output to speakers on the xbox one when using a xbl mic. So that won't work anymore like it did on the 360. 

I've always wondered how that works when I watch scrims on Twitch. How do you hear the people on Skype and the game audio, is your mixamp plugged into both outlets so you still hear both like normal?

I don't have Astros myself, but I believe the mixamp is set up to have an audio input from both the computer and the game. I don't wanna talk out of my ass though, I haven't looked into how the cables work, but it's safe to assume the mixamp has a lot to do with it.

I bought the headset adapter as soon as it came out. It's a must have, especially for Halo.

I wholeheartedly agree. It was hard trying to hear some of my more soft speaking friends through the Kinect.

Im buying a New Xbox One, The Xbox One Astros, and the copy of the game digitally. My 2011 Astro's will be retired to PC use only.

this

New headsets are coming with xb1 adapters, so if you don't have one already, you should buy one. As nice as skype group calls can be, when it comes to matchmaking, there's no way people are going to be adding everyone they match up with to a group call. It would take too much work. Maybe for a while people will be using their kinects to talk in party chats, but after a few months from release almost everyone will be using an adapter or they will be using their basic xb1 mic wrapped around their neck with their game sound headphones around their ears.

This is what I've been doing for years. Works fine for me.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Is no one else using the mic that came with the XB1?  What's the advantage of these mics?

He's dead.

Also, are there any just regular in ear headphones that work well for halo?

You would be able to hear sound with in ear but wouldn't be able to talk/hear other players

I bought the headset adapter as soon as it came out. It's a must have, especially for Halo.

just got mine yesterday....works perfectly

I used to have the 2009 Astro mixamp + A40s. When using those I simply plugged my laptop into the MP3 port on my mixamp and use skype to talk to friends.

Recently I upgraded to the 2013 model and that works just fine with Microsoft's adapter (whereas the balance using the adapter always heavily overruled the old Mixamp making it impossible to set up the way I wanted it).

EDIT: Kinect also works. It's not as clear as using a headset but it is way better than the 360 version.

I just bought the Xbox One Stereo headset and it's fine by me. Don't want to spend alot of money on an expensive headset because they always seem to break fairly fast.

Siberia v2 + 2013 Astro Mixamp + Adapter.

Barely works, but it does. I say "barely" because if I connect my controller to any Xbox One's USB port (or any portable PC port), the mic starts screaming. The only USB port that I can connect my controller to is the frontal one from my turret PC, no idea why... as long as it works.

Do you know if it works fine w/ 2009 astro a40s? Can I just plug in the chat cord into the adapter?

Your astros or your mixamp must have shipped with an adapter from the standard pc green/pink kabel to one plug. You can just plug that into the x1 headset adapter. There also is a cable available for astros that is just 1 plug so you can also you that. If you have a Mixamp Pro you can also just update that and use it fairly similiar to how you'd use it with a 360.

I have been using my 2008 Astros with my Xbox One for almost a year now through all three of the options detailed above and it's been working fine. Unfortunately, the left speaker has died so I'll get some new ones with the H2 speaker tags soon.

I highly encourage anyone who is considering using party chat/skype or any other way to not do so. XBL has become this weird place where nobody actually talks. I really miss the h2/h3 days where you'd almost always have people with mics so you could actually communicate. I really hope that the fact that Halo, especially objective, requires a lot of teamwork will force people to plug their mics in and not use party chat. Also pre/postgame trash talk has always been really funny.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This pc green/pink plug, can I find it on Amazon? I'd rather not buy a brand new mixamp and just use my 2012 one.

why can't microsoft just take the technology from their own pcs and use the normal purple plug

Those aren't Microsoft's PCs. Those are PCs that just happen to have Microsoft's operating system on them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I got an older Astro Mixamp off ebay and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD 700's that I had used for PC gaming. For chat I got the adapter and a clipon mic from Zalman. I do not recommend the Astro headsets because they're garbage for sound quality/positioning when compared to a good set of open air stereo headphones. They don't make the open air AD 700's anymore but Sennheiser HD 598's are just as good if not better.

I highly recommend ordering both Astro and the Sennheiser headphones just to compare and send back what you don't like. The difference is massive.

This is the best guide I have come across for gaming headphone reviews while using an Astro mixamp: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-10-15-2014-beyerdynamic-t51i-added