Sign in to follow this  
RunningRiot4Fun

For those with an X1, what is your Latency??

My Xbox connects to a dedicated internet line of 55/15, so i get pretty good results on the Xbox test.
55.98mbs Down
18.67mbs Up
34ms Ping (from very high up northern Canada)

0% packet loss

As for Jitter... These are the results from my PC's internet, so results may or may not vary on my xbox's internet. They're the same connection speed, just separate dedicated lines (separate modems) to each...
109492979.png

Last I checked, I was getting speeds faster than on speedtest.net, which is weird. All the numbers were around 10 higher than average.

3869669188.png

Ping was 16 ms if I remember right, living in MD.

48 down 

11 up 

95 latency... I don't like that latency level at all. I hope that there is a server in the central south area. Maybe like Dallas because 95 latency is a little too much. 

I live in Louisiana. 

I am curious now that I think about it. What would be faster.. Wired connection or wireless connection? In my mind it doesn't seem like it would matter but my modem is only about 3 feet away from my Xbox One. Wired seems like it would be faster though. 

I updated my earlier post, I was more wrong than right in the context of this discussion.

109502146.png

I honestly don't know how much stock to put into the pingtest results of jitter. I run it once get 7ms, run it again immediately afterwards and get 156ms. If it can't even get within a magnitude of itself, then how is the test relevant?

If the Halo netcode uses periodic packets with no jitter, then it would be really cool if it could measure jitter on the packets received by the XB1 console and present that information in some network statistics menu so that we can see how it performs over many games, various times of day, etc.

I am curious now that I think about it. What would be faster.. Wired connection or wireless connection? In my mind it doesn't seem like it would matter but my modem is only about 3 feet away from my Xbox One. Wired seems like it would be faster though. 

I'd never use a wireless connection unless I absolutley had to always use a wired connection there more stable and faster.

I'd never use a wireless connection unless I absolutley had to always use a wired connection there more stable and faster.

If my Xbox were next to my router I would use wire. Otherwise I use wireless. When wireless is going downhill I found I need to cycle the modem and router but it would be necessary for wire too.

With dedicated servers do you only play others connected to the same server?

yes

Latency isn't the end all and be all of online gaming. Jitter and line quality also factor into it at almost an equal measure. You should measure these too. If you're in a game that plays fine and then suddenly you are half away across the map. That is jitter and dropped packets. Just because you have <40 ping to the server doesn't mean you are going to have the perfect gaming experience

Just something to keep in mind.

I just recently found out about this "line quality" from SuperSiao who works for a cable company as a tech.

Apparently every 2 years you need new internet wiring in your house because they can have serious effects on your speeds. Well I've lived in my house for 19 years and we've never once had a technician install any new lines.....

Is it expensive to get new ones installed? Because I've noticed some serious problems on my end when I compare it to friends houses or watch people streaming. Like seriously, easy 4 shots on crappy connections in Halo 3..........

The teleporting shenanigans is unreal.

The good part is: no more connecting to people in Beijing and Venezuela for lovely redbar games.

The bad thing is: if the population of players is low in your particular area, matchmaking is probably going to suck.

So....what if your friends are all spread out? How does it pick the server? Does that mean some players may be at a disadvantage? Or does it not matter?

I just recently found out about this "line quality" from SuperSiao who works for a cable company as a tech.

Apparently every 2 years you need new internet wiring in your house because they can have serious effects on your speeds. Well I've lived in my house for 19 years and we've never once had a technician install any new lines.....

Is it expensive to get new ones installed? Because I've noticed some serious problems on my end when I compare it to friends houses or watch people streaming. Like seriously, easy 4 shots on crappy connections in Halo 3..........

FiOS breh. I've never had issues with needing new wiring, apart from maybe a new CAT5 or something.

So....what if your friends are all spread out? How does it pick the server? Does that mean some players may be at a disadvantage? Or does it not matter?

I think you have to play in one server so say if I'm in the UK server and I invite 2 people from USA and one from Brazil, they'll all join me in the UK server as I'm the party leader. That's my educated guess anyway. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

People who are joining foreign servers will obviously have a worse connection because they live further away from the dedicated server they're connecting to.

What Sam just said is how it worked for Titanfall - if I was party leader and had my nearest server selected we all played on that. Frequently though I simply chose the US East server (90-100 ping from the UK for me) since that was the fairest server to play on with friends from the midwestern and eastern US.

What Sam just said is how it worked for Titanfall - if I was party leader and had my nearest server selected we all played on that. Frequently though I simply chose the US East server (90-100 ping from the UK for me) since that was the fairest server to play on with friends from the midwestern and eastern US.

Do you think MCC will work the same way and allow us to select the server?  

No idea, but I hope so. It's the fairest way to provide an acceptable connection for the whole party - pick the most neutral server possible and have fun.

I would definitely assume so seeing as Tfall was Msft published. I doubt they'd force you into your closest server and not allow you to ever change. They know people have friends/family overseas.

Those of you who have a media copy, let us know <3

I have never heard of replacing the coaxial cables in your house every two years.  All I was told when I rewired was that my place had RG5, which was the old standard before broadband internet, and I needed RG6 for optimal performance.  Just make sure all connections are tight and there are no sharp bends in the wire.

I have never heard of replacing the coaxial cables in your house every two years.  All I was told when I rewired was that my place had RG5, which was the old standard before broadband internet, and I needed RG6 for optimal performance.  Just make sure all connections are tight and there are no sharp bends in the wire.

Alright, i'll ask the tech to check it out. Thanks man.

FiOS breh. I've never had issues with needing new wiring, apart from maybe a new CAT5 or something.

Verizon and Comcast have never offered service in my area. ATT and Charter have a tight grip on this community.

I'll never understand it. Anywhere else I play online I absolutely destroy. I play at my house and get dumped on each and every game. 

Thanks though. One day I will get Fios and be a warrior.