Synyster

Cell Phone Thread

So Microsoft is trimming down their phone department.

What does this mean:

We'll have a simpler quota for Windows Phone/Windows 10 handsets:

Budget Lumia >>> Feature-Rich (other manufacturer) Win-X >>> Surface-Level Lumia\

In essence, unlike Samsung and OPPO we'll have a less intimidating hardware lineup per-year.

I dropped my Droid Maxx the other day and cracked the screen all over. I had an upgrade so I ended up just doing that and getting the same phone. Should I have tried going to one of those places that fixes screens?

I dropped my Droid Maxx the other day and cracked the screen all over. I had an upgrade so I ended up just doing that and getting the same phone. Should I have tried going to one of those places that fixes screens?

You could have gotten a more durable phone just to tell you the truth, I hate how everything needs to be a fragile cutout of a church window pane.

That said Repair may have been a better option.

Why aren't more companies taking notes off Kyocera and Samsung for their Active Lifestyle devices? More rugged, more happiness.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So it's been cleared out regarding Microsoft and Lumia. We aren't losing competition so the Windows Phone haters can eat their hat. Honestly WP 8.1 is the best thing to happen since the embedded Windows Professional of the old 2000's.

What we are getting:

Two Budget Devices

In an effort to keep the tiers in balance, we are only having two budget lines per year. What does this mean? The 435 and 535 might be the newest lower end available for this year. Everything else (including the 520) is software support at this point.

Two Medium Tier Devices

700-800 series pretty much. I'm not a fan of unibody phones so the 710 was a bit of a turn off despite its elegance in simplicity and decent construction.

Two Premium Devices

The 900-1000 series, we all are waiting for that 1030 right? Well, your next professional handsets might be announced in about a month from now.

Honestly guys, with all of Microsoft's faults, Windows Phone and Surface are probably some of their best products to date. Even the barrel scraping 430 is a pleasant, slice of cake to use with little compromise in User Interface fluidity. I don't care for the fancier graphic icons so the metro tiles are best executed in WP 8.1 and Windows 10.

In my eyes, WP is great for a low budget option that will run well, have a strong build quality, not be infested with bloat, have an appealing homescreen by default, and a good camera app. I just can't see myself going back to it mainly due to the lack of customization options and dev support. I'm still keeping my HTC Radar as a spare because it is built as strong as a Nokia. I've tested by throwing it at a brick wall and it's still doing just fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How many days should I hold off installing Windows 10 on my device? I'm getting the Embedded/Internet-of-Things edition, but for the sake of battery life and temperature control, etc... Should I wait?

Anyone else here have issues with Samsung S4 deleting your hidden folder?

Went to look at my hidden images and now there no hidden images or even a folder related to them. Been trying every solution I can find and so far nothing works. It's literally like the folder didn't exist although I know it did because I used that folder some what often.

#frustrated

How many days should I hold off installing Windows 10 on my device? I'm getting the Embedded/Internet-of-Things edition, but for the sake of battery life and temperature control, etc... Should I wait?

Newer builds will always tank your phone performance. Lolipop is a great example of poor performance and battery longevity for a pretty face. It'll get better as the x.x.1 or x.x.x.1 builds come out.

Anyone else here have issues with Samsung S4 deleting your hidden folder?

Went to look at my hidden images and now there no hidden images or even a folder related to them. Been trying every solution I can find and so far nothing works. It's literally like the folder didn't exist although I know it did because I used that folder some what often.

#frustrated

Not really sure what you're talking about? If you clarify I can help you

Not really sure what you're talking about? If you clarify I can help you

You can hide images/apps on an S4; they simply get moved to a different folder that's how shown.

Went to view this folder last night and it was gone; can't find it anywhere on the phone, it's as if the phone has deleted the entire folder.

I think I experienced this back on my rooted S3 before it got obliterated. The file corrupts sometimes and I think whatever command automatically removes the corrupt file.

I used a hide function on my old 3GS years ago. It screwed up the interface and borked the multitasking. :/ 

BTW, random question, how bad off is everyone's display right now?

My display is fine, although my lock screen will occasionally turn to blocks instead of numbers and letters. No fix for it at this time.

So I purchased the Wal-Mart Lumia 435, and I have to say it certainly feels liberating to step away from a graphics intensive User-Interface.

If retailers aren't pissing around forcing us to go onto online sellers, I'll try and snatch the Lumia 530 as well. Look out for deals, if I can.

So it seems like Wal-Mart and carrier shops are no longer carrying phones that should have at least one or two more years of retail support. I cannot find the Lumia 520/521 anywhere and I'm certain my only bet in finding those are online now. I hate the fact a 30$-50$ device gets relegated to online exclusive and jacked up by twenty dollars. I'm glad Microsoft still sells it SIM-Free without tax.

No SD card

No Removable battery

No NFC

No Quick charging

No Wireless charging

No Stereo speakers

What a shame, decent looking phone though.

yeah people are sad about a few of those BUT for me

No SD card                     = 64GB is more then i can use

No Removable battery    = See above

No NFC                           = I have never used NFC

No Quick charging          = The battery on my 1+1 will last a full day no problem/so as this is a little disappointing im sure it will be fine.

No Wireless charging     =  See above  But no joke i would love to see this in a phones in 2015

No Stereo speakers       = 99.98% of the time im watching something on my phone its around other people so my ear buds are always in

I understand how these can all be a bad news for some but for me im still super pumped for this bad boy might be getting it depending on when i get a invite

(im in the low 7000 on the forums so that's a huge + they are sending invites out soon ish)

:flames: :flames: :flames:

yeah people are sad about a few of those BUT for me

No SD card                     = 64GB is more then i can use

No Removable battery    = See above

No NFC                           = I have never used NFC

No Quick charging          = The battery on my 1+1 will last a full day no problem/so as this is a little disappointing im sure it will be fine.

No Wireless charging     =  See above  But no joke i would love to see this in a phones in 2015

No Stereo speakers       = 99.98% of the time im watching something on my phone its around other people so my ear buds are always in

I understand how these can all be a bad news for some but for me im still super pumped for this bad boy might be getting it depending on when i get a invite

(im in the low 7000 on the forums so that's a huge + they are sending invites out soon ish)

:flames: :flames: :flames:

To me, there all things that should be there whether the majority of people use them or not. If you're trying to create a flag ship phone to complete, cover every angle to gain as many customer/buyers as possible.

However, the two major flaws in any phone to me is no SD card slot and no removable battery - those are essential in creating a great phone in my opinion.

Regardless of how efficient the memory is, you bought the phone, you own it, you should be able to have easy access to basic utilities such memory expansion and replaceable batteries. I feel like this one-trick idea of making unibody design is often missing the point, we have the tech to produce thinner phones and flexible snap covers (like the LG G-Flex series) and expandable memory. Apple and Samsung are effectively designing each premium handset against the principles of yesteryear, Samsung uses worse glass in the S6 whereas Apple recycles low grade aluminum Coca-Cola cans rolled with Reynolds Wrap foil.

>>>TANGENT INCOMING<<<

Even worse I may never buy a Lollipop Android phone because it's as bad as ICS on a low end smartphone, in fact it's insane how smoothly Kit Kat can run on a 3.5'' display Micromax Bolt handset whereas Lollipop irritates the hardware in ways no OS had ever done before...

• Upvote (+1) 1

NFC is the biggest disappointment for me.

I've been using Apple Pay a lot more recently now that a lot of stores are starting to pick it up.

Otherwise I'm in the same boat at funzbob.

To me, there all things that should be there whether the majority of people use them or not. If you're trying to create a flag ship phone to complete, cover every angle to gain as many customer/buyers as possible.

However, the two major flaws in any phone to me is no SD card slot and no removable battery - those are essential in creating a great phone in my opinion.

This is a flagship phone killer, not a flagship phone. They are trying to prove that you can provide an amazing phone for a relatively cheaper price point.

Its offering almost as much for half the price of an off contract flagship phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB is 800ish, iPhone 6/+ 16GB is $649/$749).

NFC is the biggest disappointment for me.

I've been using Apple Pay a lot more recently now that a lot of stores are starting to pick it up.

Otherwise I'm in the same boat at funzbob.

This is a flagship phone killer, not a flagship phone. They are trying to prove that you can provide an amazing phone for a relatively cheaper price point.

Its offering almost as much for half the price of an off contract flagship phone (Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB is 800ish, iPhone 6/+ 16GB is $649/$749).

How can you kill and or compete with flag ship phones if you don't offer the same thing as flag ship phones?

Think of the average user, they want to compare numbers and features and with the One Plus lacking some of the same basic features than other basic non flag ship phones, it's gonna be difficult to convince the average user to purchase this phone.

Let's be real. Lolipop is worse than ICS.

Let's be real, they've all felt the same. Been using a smart phone for 6-7 years now and I don't notice a difference between of these major OS updates other than a few cosmetic changes.