Synyster

Cell Phone Thread

I hope someone makes a 25$ smartphone that isn't stuck four software versions back (Kit-Kat is the next Gingerbread), Mozilla gave up the ghost with their 25$ concept device. The Klif sounds like a decent lite player.

The LG Optimus Fuel is pretty decent for the 3.5'' specs from around the range of $29.00, and I don't like the sound of how Google are handling anything before the Nexus 6. I hope to transfer my T-Mobile Sim to that Lumia 520 or 530.

We're getting a BlackBerry Passport 2.

Other manufacturers still have not taken any notes.

I wish more developers were willing to port apps to BBOS or whatever they call OS10 now. I loved that operating system. Having all notifications in one place was... well convienient. Notification center just aren't the same and hardly ever get used (at least by me anyways).

Probably the biggest thing I miss from when I use to use blackberry's (2009) was the keyboard. Oh they are heavenly.

Yeah, it boggles my mind that kids who never even seen anything other than a fragile windowpane with a single home button influence the design and engineering of flagships today. I was in High School when all the awesome Morotola Droid SLIDERS and FLIPS were still very very common. The HTC ChaChaCha? I've heard its software is bogged but the keyboard is one of the best on a non-blackberry device. Oh how I wish Alcatel and ZTE could throw us a bone on a flip with a properly optimized software, I like the sound of Android on a Flip Phone but I'm wondering what compromises carriers like AT&T and Verizon would shoehorn.

Also I wonder if BlackBerry is willing to work with other companies to produce alternative QWERTY Handsets? Granted they'd be entry level at best, but seeing a BLU 'feature phone' disguised Smartphone running BBOS 10.1.3 would be interesting.

Report of BlackBerry making a phone that ships with.... android. I would buy that phone.

Report of BlackBerry making a phone that ships with.... android. I would buy that phone.

I just want BlackBerry to do something daring and have competition release their own Sliders or QWERTY Flips of BBOS, it's said to have a particularly well rounded security protocol built on years of research.

gsmarena_001.jpg

So, Blackberry Venice. Another Smartphone that isn't the boring, stupid ass looking Gionee and ZTE razor thin Swagshits (Flagship Phones).

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I heard Apple wants to 'patent' antennae transparency in their aluminum.

Part of me hopes this irks the FCC and forces them to simmer down on patenting the most basic aspects of mobile telephony technologies.

Apple tries to patent literally anything. They sued sammy in 10 because the galaxy S was "rectangular with a grid of icons", supposedly Apple patented the rectangle. Regardless, most of their technology comes from sammy and Qualcomm.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's weird because isn't there a thing the FCC has about antennae exposure? I think the complexity of materials is bit of a touchy gambit if you're going to improve or at least reduce the latency of signal strength.

Anyone still like 3.5'' handsets? I find them useful for many one-handed operations. The LG Optimus L34C fuel is not only super dirt cheap without any plan online, but it's also super cheap in retail even cheaper than most Lumia low ends. It's less than a year old too. It's an easy easy easy sell and we won't be forced to use the 2.3 GB (Gingerbread) Android Build sets like the Zone or Logic (almost feature phone specs). I might make the L34C my mainline Android, also Kit Kat is still far better than both L and M (test only) on the low end.

Just to note there's nothing wrong with the barrel scraping Droids but they're for non-internet addicts. Also I doubt you can update them to Kit-Kat if the Zone and Logic are stuck seven iterations back.

Granted there are very specific preferences or needs when it comes to screen size. Honestly the 3.5''-4.5'' range is best in my opinion since I want a semblance of one handed operation.

2.8''

The original Samsung Galaxy Pocket/Pocket Plus and its DUOS variant was the only Samsung smartphone to use such a tiny display, making it such that the only thing you'd use it for is if you didn't want to miss out on owning a smartphone but don't want a distracting device. Or don't want to text at all.

3.0''-3.8''

What I call a 'One-Handed Digitizer' range. Touch panels have gotten better, but I've noticed several newer Featurephones around 3.0'' in display.

4.0''-5.0''

Heavy user screens, the sizes I can stand but anything above in my opinion doesn't quite hit the spot with my small angular hands. Phones and Tablets need to kinda have their own essential gaps between one another. Anything above 5.5'' just flies out of your pocket if you jog...

I know this thread had become my territory for double posting, but doesn't it seem like the consumer wars between Samsung and Apple are hurting the industry?

Here's what I've noticed from manufacturers after 2012:

• Most 'basic' devices are now Tablet sized
  • Use the least energy efficient processors (worse battery life, interface degrades,
  • temperature issues...
  • Lack of any bezel
  • So thin it can either slash an artery or burn you depending on your chipset preferences

Then you have people that defend these five peeves, giving you these stories they make up on the fly how their Nubia doesn't shatter to pieces on the first drop... It's as if some people who constantly upgrade their phones don't actually go out and use them as phones at all. The S6 is far worse than the S5 and it's due to anti-consumer design philosophy, why pay fifty for a new battery when you can lay down 300$ to fix it. I remember those short but dreadful years when certain HTC or Samsung phones could not be rooted without catastrophic hardware failures, but at least they were otherwise well-lasted devices.

I'm actually okay with the current sizes of things. I feared the mainstream phone would grow into phablet size note category but the last two or three years have showed that 5 inches seems to be the sticking point, which is nice.

Least efficient processors? This just isn't true. Since 12 most other OEMs have dropped their soc support (TI with their OMAP processors, samsungs exynos gpu, etc) which leaves just Qualcomm and ARM to choose between for socs. 95% of smartphones in the past 5 years have chosen Qualcomm over raw ARM designs simply because they are more efficient. I WISHED they had used ARMs A15 architecture, because those processors were monsters on paper, but they were ignored for their entire lifespan in favor of the snapdragon 600 (Qualcomm) because of its conservative architecture. The A15 only really saw use in the nexus 10 tablet (Which flopped) and the international versions of a few Samsung phones with exynos/Mali gpus. This sucks because A15 chips were so capable of both incredible performance AND we're capable of dynamic scaling with lower dyes (10nm) but no one wanted to put in the work to optimize the designs. Snapdragon was the easy, cheap, lazy route that would still yield good results. Apples AX series chips perform wonderfully for the specs they're paired with, especially because the batteries in iPhones are so small.

Never heard of CONSISTENT temperature issues with a certain phone line. Only sparce reports here and there. Most of th time governors on socs are smart enough to throttle the gpu before your phone gets too hot, which just leads to less than steller performance as opposed to heat sinks, ie. Nexus 5

I like small bezels.

I agree the s5 has more utility than the S6 by a long shot, but the spec jump between the two is so incredibly minor it's like someone who bought the s5 today would be missing out on anything. We're reaching a plateau in phone specs. I'm actually fond of the new design btw :) this is coming from someone who owned the S1 - S4. And both HTC Ones.

And yes sadly development is becoming more and more difficult every year. Soc manufacturers don't provide source code, Google is becoming stricter, more and more locked bootloaders.

Yeah I was in a bad mood with that post, I just didn't care for the tricky grip that the beautiful AQUEOUS Crystal had. Felt like I could destroy it.

I guess I miss the days when Android Sliders were dime a dozen, and that I want Windows Phone to expand into unique form handsets like Flip Phones or QWERTY Slide-Outs. In fact that would certainly fit the quota of Windows 10 supported phones.

I'm actually okay with the current sizes of things. I feared the mainstream phone would grow into phablet size note category but the last two or three years have showed that 5 inches seems to be the sticking point, which is nice.

Least efficient processors? This just isn't true. Since 12 most other OEMs have dropped their soc support (TI with their OMAP processors, samsungs exynos gpu, etc) which leaves just Qualcomm and ARM to choose between for socs. 95% of smartphones in the past 5 years have chosen Qualcomm over raw ARM designs simply because they are more efficient. I WISHED they had used ARMs A15 architecture, because those processors were monsters on paper, but they were ignored for their entire lifespan in favor of the snapdragon 600 (Qualcomm) because of its conservative architecture. The A15 only really saw use in the nexus 10 tablet (Which flopped) and the international versions of a few Samsung phones with exynos/Mali gpus. This sucks because A15 chips were so capable of both incredible performance AND we're capable of dynamic scaling with lower dyes (10nm) but no one wanted to put in the work to optimize the designs. Snapdragon was the easy, cheap, lazy route that would still yield good results. Apples AX series chips perform wonderfully for the specs they're paired with, especially because the batteries in iPhones are so small.

Never heard of CONSISTENT temperature issues with a certain phone line. Only sparce reports here and there. Most of th time governors on socs are smart enough to throttle the gpu before your phone gets too hot, which just leads to less than steller performance as opposed to heat sinks, ie. Nexus 5

I like small bezels.

I agree the s5 has more utility than the S6 by a long shot, but the spec jump between the two is so incredibly minor it's like someone who bought the s5 today would be missing out on anything. We're reaching a plateau in phone specs. I'm actually fond of the new design btw :) this is coming from someone who owned the S1 - S4. And both HTC Ones.

And yes sadly development is becoming more and more difficult every year. Soc manufacturers don't provide source code, Google is becoming stricter, more and more locked bootloaders.

It honestly seems like the laptop market has been innovating more in the last year than the phone market.

I can respect power but I simply demand a few things in balance of such a punch:

• Good battery life
  • 4'' or 4.5'' display, a decent machine can come with a display smaller than 5'' but that's just me
  • Durable, very light on the exposed glassware
  • Neat form, like Flip or Slider

I really hope the LG Fuel isn't updated to Lollipop when I buy it, too much hassle to downgrade software. I heard L just drains your phone if it isn't a premium slab.

Sounds like the Vista of Android, what a shame because with Google and their reputation with data, they cannot afford (image-wise) to have a worse performing OS.

Any one else exited about the 1+2 coming out soonish

Or any new phone tech stuff

I'm looking forward to the supposed August release of Project ARA, the Gray Phone is supposed to be a more widely accessible base model that'll become the basis of custom firmware modulation. I'm looking forward to more Lumia devices being released in the US that were initially released in the middle east.

LUMIA 435 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Earlier this year, T-Mobile through the Walmart Family Mobile became the first Bargain Bin carrier to sell the Lumia 400-Model Series. The Lumia 435 was initially released in March for the foreign market in an effort to expand Microsoft's smartphone market. With extremely basic specifications, this may very well beat the persistent Lumia 520 in terms of price as it released worldwide for only fifty dollars.

OUT OF THE BOX

Oddly enough, this phone is sold at an absolute basic when standalone. Meaning, it requires the SIM to be sold separately, but if you already have a T-Mobile Micro SIM card it should work out fine. I didn't have the spare change with me to get the 25$ card. I kind of like the Wal-Mart packaging as it doesn't try too hard to look like anything other than a generic package deal. However, the best part is the packaging can be taken apart without cutting tools or other unconventional means.

But to the phone itself:

The Lumia 435 is interestingly designed in the sense that its aesthetic takes off Nokia's ill fated X-Series, while also paying respects to the Asha design language. It isn't exactly a "thin device" but I happen to favor the chunkier smartphones as they give better way to advantageous build quality. I got a little nervous attempting to open the phone up to put in my SIM Card and Battery as I feared the buttons would fly off- my only gripe with the design philosophy is the use of cover-grafted hardware buttons, and it's a minor gripe since physical buttons are a convenience soon to dissipate with other brands. There's something to be said about Nokia's engineering team working within Microsoft; you get quality goods. My only gripe with the design are the corners, which feel much sharper than the 520's, and the look of thinner plastic might not sit well with first visual impressions.

Starting up, I made the mistake of putting in a badly worn SD Card before realizing that I had to update the software. Stupid me, but my unit must have been particularly new stock because I had to install about four updates, which may or may not be at fault with the carrier (I've had to update several security parameters on my Galaxy S3 after first obtaining it on AT&T's Network). The first thing that stuck out: The attractive simplicity. Windows Phone 8.1 is an attractive OS but most importantly, has an extremely fluid UI with little in the way of visual or animation fluff. If you deem it necessary, the accessibility settings allow you to go full monochromatic (sans locked icons) also known as "High Contrast", which I prefer considering how much time I spend personalizing my device. I can burn through five percent by just messing with wallpapers or ringtones: I prefer to focus on the latter since I won't have an OCD attack there. I also prefer less icons on the home screen given my affinity for basic phones as well.

The display is a generic TFT LCD. But it looks better than the 530 even though that isn't exactly saying much, as the 530 is an overhauled 510 -- very poor color.

So far I am excited for Windows 10 and what it can for mobile phones. I think the WiFi calling app T-Mobile uses is garbage and WhatsApp is a nightmare to set up as I don't have data on my Lumia. I can text through Text Now, Wi-Fi messager since Skype gives me enough horror on the Desktop.

The cameras are exactly what you'd expect them to be: Very basic, feature-phone level. But a VGA front facing camera is only useful for business communications, otherwise I have no use for a secondary camera.