Synyster

Cell Phone Thread

msoftlumia-100529423-large.jpg

Heh, day of the Master Chief Collection's launch? Why do I smell in-game advertising? The first Non-Nokia-Branded Lumia phone. In other words generic model name 'RM'.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think RIM is stepping up to the plate in hardware. Sure this is niche but I smell a comeback. You can side-load Android apps too, the price tag kills it for me though it certainly needs to appeal to the entry-mid levels at best

blackberry_classic_0.jpg

LG from CES 2015, really hit it out of the park with their G Flex successor.

gf2-fb.jpg

The materials are even more flexible than initially presented. It isn't just a subtle materials difference this time. The self repair mechanics are improved tenfold.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I love Linus Tech Tips reviews - Nexus 6 isn't that great. Still think it's way too freaking big.

I'm pretty much done with larger displays. 4'' or 4.5'' is the sweet spot. The past year we've had some excellent compact phones without a huge display and premium build quality. I'm hoping the next Nexus phones are available between 4.5'' and 5''.

I'm pretty much done with larger displays. 4'' or 4.5'' is the sweet spot. The past year we've had some excellent compact phones without a huge display and premium build quality. I'm hoping the next Nexus phones are available between 4.5'' and 5.5''.

I've got the GS4 and I think it's the perfect size; not too big not too small.

It's like the cell phone industry looks at what's working well and decideds to change that or over do it.

I can't stand the new age 8" tablet phones... I remember when i was 15-16, begging my parents for a cell phone. That shit was so tiny and so thin. you could lose it in your pockets...

I've had my Galaxy S3 since like week 2 of launch. I don't go through many phones. The screen is starting to fall apart though. Maybe time for an upgrade. That LG flex phone looks hot. may have to look into that.

I'm still gunning for a Lumia 520, or 635. The latter isn't too much of a deviation specs-wise (size, density) compared to my current Galaxy S3. 

I also want HTC to release a decent 4'' Windows Phone 8 or Android Lollipop handset that isn't 100$ priced higher than it should be. I mean HTC's phones have stepped up in terms of build quality and screen clarity; but I don't want their next series to be centered around behemoths.

That could be the the perfect work phone, second phone, business phone, junk phone, kids phones - I think the cell phone world will slowly works it's way back into these types of phone for any number of things.

Someone made a 12$ "Gonkai Phone" that both supports MP3 and SD Card Expansion with only an Arduino... As well as dual sim, I think. It's insane how beautiful the 130 is as well. Nokia still has that charm (yes, MS, but still, I give credit to Nokia).

Speaking of basic phones, I think Samsung taken a design cue from Nokia: No need for a camera of any kind, this is the perfect 'private lifestyle' phone.

guru-music-2-1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Someone made a 12$ "Gonkai Phone" that both supports MP3 and SD Card Expansion with only an Arduino... As well as dual sim, I think. It's insane how beautiful the 130 is as well. Nokia still has that charm (yes, MS, but still, I give credit to Nokia).

Speaking of basic phones, I think Samsung taken a design cue from Nokia: No need for a camera of any kind, this is the perfect 'private lifestyle' phone.

guru-music-2-1.jpg

Whats the name of that phone?

I really want to get a new phone soon(galaxy s4 atm)...

Why is the Z3 compact the only small phone worth a single fuck? -_-

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why does Apple think thinner means more comfortable and 'gracefully intuitive?'  -_-

Seriously both i6 models cut into my hand even when first picked up. I feel like I'm going to crush it with my (not so impressive) grip.

So now Microsoft is daring to challenge the 520's budget status with the rumored Lumia 435

Photo-allegedly-of-the-Microsoft-Lumia-4

If the price really does hit below the rumored $45.00 outside Brazil (which is its current market release), then we have the cheapest smoothly-performing 4'' handset with Windows Phone ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol, I'm not certain why MS makes better phones than consoles at this point, maybe their mobile division can take over Halo?

gsmarena_001.jpg

Lumia 532. I expect this to succeed the 520 when it goes out of circulation. I hope this one isn't locked into the Middle East or Brazil. 

Recently upgraded to the Amazon Fire Phone.

amazon-fire-phone-8521.jpg

It's been kind of interesting thus far. It has virtually the same functionality as my Kindle Fire, which is great in some ways, but not so great in others, mainly in that I've had trouble finding the device ID so I can start sideloading Android apps onto it.

In terms of a deal though, I was able to get an unlocked one for $189 on one of Amazon's Daily Deal thingies, so in terms of being a phone, it beat out pretty much anything that wasn't a basic "dumb" phone.

I will say that unless you're plugged into the Amazon payment system (Amazon Prime/Student, etc.), then it would be a questionable purchase, but they are bundling the thing with a free year of Prime, so there's that going for it. It's available on contract from AT&T and as an unlocked version that works with any GSM carrier using a Nano-SIM Card.