Synyster

Cell Phone Thread

Spartan, did Microsoft reveal a new windows phone?

Yes, the Lumia 950, 950 XL, and the Lumia 550 (XL pictured below).

Lumia-950-xl-hands.jpg?itok=VWg5qDIA

Operating System Windows 10 Mobile Display 5.7 inches (1440x2560) Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 Materials Polycarbonate Rear Camera 20MP F/1.9, OIS Rear Flash Triple LED Front Camera 5MP Connector Type C RAM 3GB Notifications Glance Biometrics Iris scanner Internal Storage 32GB External Storage micro SD Battery 3340mAh removable Charging Qi wireless, USB Type-C, Quick Charge Dimensions 8.1 x 151.9 x 78.4 mm Weight 5.82 ounces (165 grams) Price $649
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Of course the media pundits intentionally dodge facts because they insist on spreading FUD that four OS's cannot compete or work in harmony with one another at all (BBOS, iOS, Android, Windows 10 Mobile)-- so they downplay carrier openness. The 950 series and the latest budget 550 are unlocked. Its in the price tag for all of them for fucks sake. Apple and Samsung aren't the only ones who ever release premium handsets unlocked.

AT&T is merely selling these to whittle down the price tag.

Tech journalism is literally the same as gaming journalism. Give them a spin and they go the whole nine yards with their bullshit.

It's a good looking phone; my only grip after reading your post would be AT&T if thats the only carrier, and the 1440x2560, should just leave it at 1920x1080.

It's a good looking phone; my only grip after reading your post would be AT&T if thats the only carrier, and the 1440x2560, should just leave it at 1920x1080.

It's not really exclusive, they're going to have an unlocked variant which should work on T-Mobile and any other service that uses the LTE and GSM bands.

Verizon is abandoning CDMA, and good riddance because it's costing these companies and individual branches too much money for inconsistent coverage through dated networks.

Kind of sucks that everyone is going more towards unlocked phones and no contracts; I'd rather be locked down for 2 years and save myself a nice penny.

I think the only reason AT&T are selling are to cash in on the holiday season, in which case T-Mobile and whoever else needs to get a clue and start with the black friday preparations any time now...

The two year plan was shifty and didn't do any brand favors especially since both T-Mobile and Verizon kick phones to the curb after five months...

Well this sucks...

The CEO of Blackberry might discontinue making handsets next year if things do not turn around. :/

I thought their Passport line was gaining traction. This is pretty sad guys, one of the last companies daring enough to release a slider QWERTY phone.

That's the problem though, the keyboard has no use anymore for cell phones or tablets. Hell, even more tablets come with a detachable keyboard.

Isn't there a difference between Waterproof and Water Resistant? Not to be picky or anything...

Yes. The guy at best buy made that clear when I got the galaxy s5 lol. Water proof basically guarantees water won't damage the phone. Resistant means protection with light rain or if your hand is wet but you can't just toss it in a pool.

Yes. The guy at best buy made that clear when I got the galaxy s5 lol. Water proof basically guarantees water won't damage the phone. Resistant means protection with light rain or if your hand is wet but you can't just toss it in a pool.

And if your girlfriend's been sitting on it, you can damn well bet it's soaked.

Just spent an hour on the phone with Samsung technical support attempting to recover personal photos that I couldn't find while using the hidden items feature only to be told that they were permanently deleted. So frustrated right now.

I wonder how companies really plan on phasing out feature phones in 2017, I've heard clamshell devices will be discontinued altogether by the time that year rolls around. So, are we like, getting that fifteen dollar Android any time soon? a 3.2'' device is serviceable as an entry level item even with bleak specs.

We better be able to buy an LG or ZTE Android for fifteen dollars at the gas station.

@[member=Spartan0S36]

So, I'm thinking about getting into project fi; if I get an invite soon.

I'm just struggling with trying to justify paying for a phone out right so only save money down the road; I'm not sure if I'll actually save money though with having to buy a phone out right every 2-3 years.

I'm just struggling with trying to justify paying for a phone out right so only save money down the road; I'm not sure if I'll actually save money though with having to buy a phone out right every 2-3 years.

When you get a refurbished phone, do they just change the battery, digitizer and enclosure or is it everything except the motherboard?

When you get a refurbished phone, do they just change the battery, digitizer and enclosure or is it everything except the motherboard?

I'm assuming they change everything that would be damaged or non reusable. I'm pretty sure they keep as much of the phone intact as possible.

Just found out that Google offers monthly payments on their nexus line; if I get an invite to project fi I might do it.

Although the lack of SD card slot and removable battery is making me hesitant.