Synyster

Cell Phone Thread

gsmarena_001.jpg

Earlier this year a Samsung official announced that the company is building a bendable phone– think a flip phone with one continuous screen that covers the insides of both halves. A popular leakster on Weibo claims to have internal knowledge of the endeavor, dubbed Project Valley (aka Project V).

Samsung is reportedly testing both Snapdragon 620 and 820 for the phone. It doesn’t become clear if that's for two separate versions of the phone or just looking for the most suitable chipset. Either way, it will have 3GB of RAM.

The battery will be non-removable – no surprise since it would need to be a custom solution – but Samsung Project Valley will allegedly have a microSD slot. The screen will certainly be OLED, there are no bendy LCDs.

Project Valley will reportedly be ready in January next year. Perhaps we'll see an introduction at the MWC (end of February) or a separate event earlier than that.

The Sony Tablet P was a similar attempt back in 2012, but it used two separate screens (with an ugly bezel in the middle), the tech wasn’t ready back then. But this is one approach to continue growing smartphone screens without stretching out people's pockets.

So it looks like Samsung could actually knock it out of the park, but it's the same story, these batteries don't last through two years without crippling issues.I just hope something creative is possible through the bendy architecture.

gsmarena_001.jpg

So it looks like Samsung could actually knock it out of the park, but it's the same story, these batteries don't last through two years without crippling issues.I just hope something creative is possible through the bendy architecture.

There have been prototypes for a while if it interests you

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting how the Galaxy Edge series as a whole is a testbed for these. 2016 is going to be a good turnaround if Samsung can pull off a truly flexible device.

Awesome review of the S6 and one+2

Still don't think I'd get the +2, but if they keep going in the right direction and saving people upwards of $300 for slightly lesser quality, I'm sure the +3 will be even better.

+3 equals four, and that's all I care about anymore...

Also, apparently the Lumia 550 is in the making, and people are complaining like it looking closer to the 530 is a bad thing.

ASUS has been making phones for china and what not i think / could be wrong tho

ASUS is chinese lol .

Founded in Taipei

TIL the 4 founders of ASUS were previously employed by Acer as hardware engineers.

i got my invite for the 1+2 and i didnt order it not because i dont want it but more of a want vs need thing (sadly the invites only last 24 hours)

gsmarena_002.jpg

Anyone else getting a Lumia 640 vibe from this leak? That's not necessarily a bad thing. I think it does the minimalist-monotonous thing the market has going on a bit better than HTC at the moment. This is the supposed LG 5X.

This is the Huawei 6P, does not roll of the tongue:

gsmarena_001.jpg

Additional comments: Both are nearly identical on the front. I like the look of the gold to the far right, it accents that funky camera module on top, which is very reminiscent of the Lumia 1020.

Apparently the slider-QWERTY Blackberry Venice will be marketed as the "Blackberry Priv".

Okay then. There was nothing wrong with Venice, but the phone is still more interesting than half the crap on the market now.

Okay so Verizon *twists mustache, laughs, rubs hands together* is up to one of their gimmick goats again, except you can't upgrade any device on their network unless it's the second to latest iPhone. That also means if you wanted to enter Apple's ecosystem you would need to have had an iPhone in the first place to get a fair discount.

Fapples continue to say Android users are not entitled to bargain upgrade discounts, but people who think spending 800$ on a flagship phone without special incentives is worth the risk in the year 2015.

That's so 2009.

The latest iPhone is overpriced because the competition beat them to the punch features-wise at a much lower price. Korea's smartphone scene has Apple, Google, and Microsoft by the balls spec-wise and Apple can't even fucking price their shit at a competitive level from reveal to product release. The glorified 3D-Touch feature is more expensive by brand-logo (iconic status) and not the sole performance in any way. An iPhone is only cheap if you get the worst service plans, and most of LG's flagships from the year before last still stand the test of time.

Lol. Both Apple and Verizon can go to hell.

Render-BB-Priv.png?itok=-vU5i6HY

As part of their Q2 Fiscal 2016 results, BlackBerry also took the time today make their plans to launch theBlackBerry Priv, which will run Android with BlackBerry security, official. Although the information lacks specifics surrounding the actual launch of the device, the confirmation of its existence was needed given all the leaks recently.

Today, I am confirming our plans to launch Priv, an Android device named after BlackBerry's heritage and core mission of protecting our customers' privacy. Priv combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform."

Announced part of their hardware roadmap, the company was sure to mention that while they may be releasing an Android device, BlackBerry 10 will continue as well.

Today, BlackBerry is announcing two new additions to its handheld device roadmap. First, the company will launch a flagship slider device, Priv, which will run on the Android operating system, bringing together the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform. In combination with BlackBerry's efforts to support Android for Work on the BES12 platform, the new device will offer best in class security for enterprise customers. BlackBerry expects the device to be available late in the calendar year in major markets in-store and online, and will release further details in the coming weeks.

While the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers, the company remains committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits. Second, the company will continue to develop and enhance the BlackBerry 10 operating system and is confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements, with version 10.3.3 scheduled to be available in March 2016.

Needless to say, there's still plenty to learn about the BlackBerry Priv and we've still got plenty of time before it all gets laid out but at least now we know when to expect it.

Of course the latest Nexus devices are way too expensive despite the typical, fashion-first design, and 16GB models of any phone should be cheaper than three hundred dollars at this point.

lumia-550-render-leak.jpg?itok=GGgHbUFA

I think I found my new tablet (I use basic phones for calls/text, wifi for Smartphones)...

Pretty much 635 at a severe degree of sexiness upgrade.

Got my hands on the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - solid feeling phone, but I still don't understand the point of the curved edges. The camera was phenomenal though!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Got my hands on the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - solid feeling phone, but I still don't understand the point of the curved edges. The camera was phenomenal though!

yeah those things have great cameras for sure 

This is the Huawei 6P, does not roll of the tongue:

gsmarena_001.jpg

Additional comments: Both are nearly identical on the front. I like the look of the gold to the far right, it accents that funky camera module on top, which is very reminiscent of the Lumia 1020.

the only thing Huawei is the finger print scanner 

Thats the nexus 6p and im really thinking about getting it ...

Has top of the line everything for around $500 unlocked 

yeah those things have great cameras for sure 

That was the only thing that even made me consider upgrading my phone; but I feel like I don't take enough pictures.

81TBfVbUSuL._SL1500_.jpg

I think this is the thickest protective case ever released for a phone. It looks like a true one-inch thick case compared to what are available for non-rugged smartphones.