Infinity

V5 No-Sprint ideas

With the community's current outrage at Ghost's decision to not remove sprint in previous Throwdown iterations (a choice I support and agree with), I have been thinking of gametypes and maps that could work if sprint were disabled for V5 or V6.

I have actually been playing my own variants of NS gametypes since launch, where modders were able to disable sprint. I have been playing them in customs ever since the game launched and have found which maps work, and which ones that do not.

Some of the maps that play decently at an average pace include: Haven, Skyline, Monolith, Abandon, Onyx (shrunk for NS), and Simplex (shrunk for jumps with NS), and sort of Adrift (just slower paced)

If Ghost wants to make the perfect 11 Tournament gametypes, the gametypes I've been throwing around in customs include:

Slayer:

-Haven

-Simplex

-Skyline 

-Abandon

-Onyx 

Flag: 

-Monolith 3

-Skyline 5

-Simplex 5

-Adrift 3

Extraction 1-Plot (60 minute timers)

-Haven

-Monolith (Bottom Mid, Top Closed, Bottom Open?)

Feel free to share your thoughts on what you think of no sprint gametypes, and what gametypes/maps you want to see in a possible Sprint-less Team Throwdown.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, it would be NS with 120 or a modded 125% speed.

Edit: We seem to be agreeing on 120%, and Dispatch has been replaced with Monolith consideration for EXT

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think sprint is kind of needed in H4. I'd rather wait to see no sprint (hopefully) in H5. 

Sprint honestly doesn't bother me nearly as much with the buffed Br.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 7

I think sprint is kind of needed in H4. I'd rather wait to see no sprint (hopefully) in H5. 

Sprint honestly doesn't bother me nearly as much with the buffed Br.

Agreed, we will have to see how effective the new BR will be. Plus the lack of default maps isn't as appealing to play the gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I think if in between v4 and v5 there isn't any major changes and or exploits with the gametypes and maps then maybe Ghost can take a look at sprint being disabled, but I do think people should give sprint a chance with the new weapon tuning before we completely disband it.  I don't see any major problems coming with v4, so hopefully it has a long lifespan in throwdown. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

As far as Halo 4, sprint is basically a necessity due to how large the majority of default maps are.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

When 343 designs a game around NO-Sprint then we can take it out, but as it stands now the majority of maps require sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

As far as Halo 4, sprint is basically a necessity due to how large the majority of default maps are.

When 343 designs a game around NO-Sprint then we can take it out, but as it stands now the majority of maps require sprint.

As stated previously, there are some maps that work with NS and 120-125% speed. Not many on-disc maps work, but there are some that do work.

i think no sprint will work fine in Halo 4 with increase speed. people keep saying the maps are desinged with sprint in mind. however so was the case in halo reach. halo reach played fine with no sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i think no sprint will work fine in Halo 4 with increase speed. people keep saying the maps are desinged with sprint in mind. however so was the case in halo reach. halo reach played fine with no sprint.

I agree with this, I've even played Adrift with NS and it wasn't awful, however the community would go ballistic if Ghost included it.

Wuu Reach is different, sprint wasn't given as a default to everyone. There was a choice and i think a lot of the reach maps were NOT designed for sprinting across.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would like to see sprint gone in H4 regardless of the size of the default maps. Sprint, especially in H4, seems random since you can never hear someone sprinting up to you. I think we're also heavily underestimating how powerful sprint is. On maps with lots of verticality or areas to drop down (Abandon, Haven, Skyline, etc) it becomes a clusterf--- when people are weaving in and out and up and down. And on capture the flag, we're seeing the same thing as Reach were people are bumrushing flags (that have already been take out of the base) since autopickup + 1-melee kill > person returning the flag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With the community's current outrage at Ghost's decision to not remove sprint in previous Throwdown iterations (a choice I support and agree with), I have been thinking of gametypes and maps that could work if sprint were disabled for V5 or V6.

I have actually been playing my own variants of NS gametypes since launch, where modders were able to disable sprint. I have been playing them in customs ever since the game launched and have found which maps work, and which ones that do not.

Some of the maps that play decently at an average pace include: Haven, Skyline, Monolith, Abandon, Onyx, Simplex, and possibly Dispatch.

If Ghost wants to make the perfect 11 Tournament gametypes, the gametypes I've been throwing around in customs include:

Slayer:

-Haven

-Simplex

-Skyline

-Abandon

-Onyx

Flag:

-Monolith

-Skyline

-Simplex

-Onyx

Extraction 1-Plot (60 minute timers)

-Haven

-Dispatch

Feel free to share your thoughts on what you think of no sprint gametypes, and what gametypes/maps you want to see in a possible Sprint-less Team Throwdown.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, it would be NS with 120 or a modded 125% speed.

I like all the game types except maybe monolith flag. Replace it with confined and that would be my perfect 11. Also I don't think we need to go beyond ;) 120 movement speed.

I like all the game types except maybe monolith flag. Replace it with confined and that would be my perfect 11. Also I don't think we need to go beyond ;) 120 movement speed.

I feel like it would be more refreshing to have as much DLC/non-forged maps as possible. Monolith Flag does work without sprint.

However, I do like confined and if Monolith Flag is an absolute no it would be a cool replacement.

We need sprint as of right now, the maps are made with sprint in mind.

If Halo 5 is made correctly, there should be no sprint, along with everything else the community has in mind.

-Alias

I think we should atleast get an official competitive No Sprint test gametype running just to see how it plays, then post another poll to see everyones opinions after it has been played to make a final decision if no sprint works well in H4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

these gametypes sound like fun with no sprint !

• Upvote (+1) 1

We need sprint as of right now, the maps are made with sprint in mind.

If Halo 5 is made correctly, there should be no sprint, along with everything else the community has in mind.

-Alias

As stated previously, with increased movement speed (120%) many of the maps that work with sprint also work with NS (Haven, Monolith, Skyline, Abandon)

Halo 4 was built around Sprint. Not having it will feel unnatural. I think it would be better to hope that Halo 5 doesn't have it (it probably will though). And I think Sprint is the least of Halo's problems right now tbh. I'm more interested in the weapon update than anything. It's going to be a huge game changer in multiplayer. The only thing I'm worried about is if the DMR will still be the strongest weapon in the sandbox.

Hey Eagle!

Halo 4 was built around Sprint. Not having it will feel unnatural. I think it would be better to hope that Halo 5 doesn't have it (it probably will though). And I think Sprint is the least of Halo's problems right now tbh. I'm more interested in the weapon update than anything. It's going to be a huge game changer in multiplayer. The only thing I'm worried about is if the DMR will still be the strongest weapon in the sandbox.

But I wouldn't be so quick as to judge it as unnatural. If you play it with 120% speed it actually feels alright.

I hope with this weapon tuning people won't use sprint as much to avoid getting caught by the BR.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope with this weapon tuning people won't use sprint as much to avoid getting caught by the BR.

That is the idea. The 2-Shot beat down will help as well...

however we will have to see how the weapon tuning works with sprint, these are just ideas if we do choose to use NS.

I think NS can make it in Halo 4, but only in a few playlists. It should be playlist specific feature. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand the communities 'desire' to keep Sprint simply because of the disc maps or because the weapon tuning might actually balance, but I respectfully disagree. There are a handful of disc maps (certainly enough to allow for splitscreen, though DLC would be required) that play well, if not better, without sprint, especially Skyline. While this is just my opinion, I'd gladly sacrifice a few disc maps if it meant the removal of sprint.

Also, the desire to remove sprint isn't (or shouldn't) be based on a simple "It's not Halo" mindset, but rather simple map design. Because of Sprint, some map designs are simply not feasible competitively. Because of it's ability to get you around corners and out of harm's way, some designs (Chill Out / Cold Storage comes to mind) would just play horribly with sprint because of how easy it would be to run away, but they're good designs. There's a reason that the majority of the maps v4 is using are so similar in design (either the 'Two Base Two Tower' or 'Donut' style) and that's because that that's really all that works with Sprint. Even then, sprint affects map design in the actual meta of the game. I believe it was Gandhi that blamed sprint for the reason maps like Simplex seem to lack obvious power positions (similar to Midship's P3) because of how easy it was to get in and out of them, or simply avoid them all together.

It's my opinion that, regardless of the weapon tuning, the community should look at forging maps specifically for no sprint settings and support them for v5. Not because sprint isn't Halo, but simply because no sprint allows for a more competitive game, as well as more original and unique map design.

• Upvote (+1) 6