ROUG3

New grenade types

I like the idea of adding new grenade types, but I'm just not sure if pros will like it. For eons pros have used only the frag and plasma grenades. I think new grenade types has potential for making it in public games but as far as mlg and tournaments go I think they're would only be frags and plasmas

I like the idea of adding new grenade types, but I'm just not sure if pros will like it. For eons pros have used only the frag and plasma grenades. I think new grenade types has potential for making it in public games but as far as mlg and tournaments go I think they're would only be frags and plasmas

The good thing is if people want to play a more classic experience they can, if only Frags and Plasmas are placed on the map the grenade system will work just as it always has. I would also be keen on custom options to adjust how many grenades a player can carry. So if people want to play with 4 grenades per slot they also can. It's not a change like default flinch or default Sprint, that fundamentally changes the gaming experience, it's an addition. Pulse grenades have made it in once before so who knows.

Keep it simple, stupid.

I really hope the four people who downvoted don't actually think this post was calling OP stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Also, I agree. Not trying to be contrarian, but grenades are the dumb part of the "golden triangle" (which is itself a dumb, rigid concept that does nothing but serve as a simplified, aesthetically-pleasing attempt to define the whole of Halo multiplayer). Imagine if it was just frags and plasmas - it would do so much to heal the mentality of Halo fans, while barely impacting the gameplay at all.

Featuritis is a perpetual, self-propagating cancer that has to be cut out fully.

grenades are the dumb part of the "golden triangle" (which is itself a dumb, rigid concept that does nothing but serve as a simplified, aesthetically-pleasing attempt to define the whole of Halo multiplayer).

I would argue that melee is the "dumbest" part of the golden triangle.

Players need to account for grenade drop when throwing. Not so with melee.

Players need to make sure they have the correct grenade type for the situation equipped. Not so with melee.

Players need to know how to bounce grenades around corners. No so with melee.

The Golden Triangle is not over simplified or just there to be aesthetically pleasing. It exists to show that even though they are three simple mechanics on their own, as a whole they combine to provide deep meaningful gameplay.

If you want to see how gameplay begins breaking down when you over complicate the Golden Triangle, take a look at Destiny's Crucible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really hope the four people who downvoted don't actually think this post was calling OP stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Also, I agree. Not trying to be contrarian, but grenades are the dumb part of the "golden triangle" (which is itself a dumb, rigid concept that does nothing but serve as a simplified, aesthetically-pleasing attempt to define the whole of Halo multiplayer). Imagine if it was just frags and plasmas - it would do so much to heal the mentality of Halo fans, while barely impacting the gameplay at all.

Featuritis is a perpetual, self-propagating cancer that has to be cut out fully.

To me the Golden Triangle is just a statement that having Grenade throw, shoot and melee mapped to independent buttons is fundamental to Halo. To extrapolate, the ability to mix up your form of attack in a single engagement adds value to gameplay. I agree with this. Halo has longer engagement times than most typical shooters, what this does is give players times to make decisions and out play their opponents. Options make the engagement more interesting. Just as faster weapon swaps, strafing etc and make engagements more interesting. Though I do think people put more into the golden triangle than is actually there. 

I did go into this thinking, what can be added to Halo without over complicating the rule sets or mechanics? Only really one new rule has been added, 'hold LB to swap grenade'. Having only 2 slots helps keep the game simple compared to having to cycle between 4 slots for example. It will help people keep track of the grenades they are carrying. The mid air trajectories of each grenade wont vary at all in the interest of keeping it simple, trajectories will only vary once they hit something. A typical map will only have 3 grenade types in the interest of keeping things simple. Small maps might have only 2. I discounted other lasting area of effect grenades such as emps and fire bombs because I didn't think they added much value to the sandbox with the Pulse grenade being in the game. 

I mean there's simplicity, then there's minimalism, what I want is depth, variety and simplicity at the same time. 

• Upvote (+1) 1