Cursed Lemon

Halo 1: Final

overclocking the CPU improve performance

See Cujjer's response in regards to RAM/Network, but I don't think it's possible to overclock the CPU. If it were possible, though, that's likely where you'd see the biggest performance increase.

The benefits might be marginal, but might be worth testing. May help offset some of the map modifications needed to render a box in the sky to spawn the host player too...just spit-balling here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Played my first Halo 1 lan ever last weekend on the NHE. Got to play the 4 new maps, hotbox, red shift, and I forget the names of the other two.

Is NHE a big deal? The thought of getting rid of host advantage is pretty exciting even for someone who has lanned a single time and still isn't familiar with how much better host is compared to off host.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whats NHE?

Played my first Halo 1 lan ever last weekend on the NHE. Got to play the 4 new maps, hotbox, red shift, and I forget the names of the other two.

Is NHE a big deal? The thought of getting rid of host advantage is pretty exciting even for someone who has lanned a single time and still isn't familiar with how much better host is compared to off host.

Can confirm NHE is solid. I love the feeling of on-host shooting, but the fact that there's an even playing field just makes the games so much tighter. Really, really recommend the use of NHE for anyone that hosts LANs, even in its beta version.

I lanned all afternoon yesterday, lots of close games. Seems to me performance is more stable too - in traditional host/off-host matches, the off-host boxes suffer the frame drops of the host box. Since the host is now single-screen and generally looking at a wall, frame-drops are much less-frequent from what I can tell.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I probably played at least 6 series of NHE this weekend for the first time with 4 grenades.

Pros:

It is more fair

Series are shorter, don't have to get rekt for a full 10-14 game series or focus for so long. 

Cons:

It is laggier than crossover, bullets are definitely shooting sideways up close. Also makes it harder to kill people than just regular off-host.

You don't get that crisp smooth host feeling. Amazing plays are harder to make, or nigh impossible. 

Some boxes lag more than others so one box can still be at a disadvantage. 

edit: Forgot to mention another con. Flashlight disabled. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I probably played at least 6 series of NHE this weekend for the first time with 4 grenades.

Pros:

It is more fair

Series are shorter, don't have to get rekt for a full 10-14 game series or focus for so long. 

Cons:

It is laggier than crossover, bullets are definitely shooting sideways up close. Also makes it harder to kill people than just regular off-host.

You don't get that crisp smooth host feeling. Amazing plays are harder to make, or nigh impossible. 

Your cons seem like they may outweigh the pros to me. Would you say you prefer playing on NHE?

I think NHE will and should be the new standard for LAN from the little I've played(40 games). I think a lot of people are making poor choices though in their setup and are not getting optimal results because of it. The last versions of the original xbox or halo edition("green box") xbox NEEDS to be the host box and the two offhost boxes should be identical versions. We used brand new network cables, and a green box as host box...it plays amazing. Less frame drop and minimal shot lead. If you haven't tried NHE in its optimal setup you're missing out.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think NHE will and should be the new standard for LAN from the little I've played(40 games). I think a lot of people are making poor choices though in their setup and are not getting optimal results because of it. The last versions of the original xbox or halo edition("green box") xbox NEEDS to be the host box and the two offhost boxes should be identical versions. We used brand new network cables, and a green box as host box...it plays amazing. Less frame drop and minimal shot lead. If you haven't tried NHE in its optimal setup you're missing out.

in case anyone was wondering, this is exactly the setup we used at devilmans.

@@NAK I just feel like it's give and take. not necessarily better, not necessarily worse. 

Pros:

It is more fair

Cons:

Well of course ideally it would be cool if both boxes could have host-like performance, but that's out of the question. I wouldn't list "one team can't get great performance anymore" as a con, really. 

I played 3 series on it this weekend and it felt great. I kind of like the shot lead required, and I have peace of mind knowing that the other team has to shoot the same way.

Out of curiosity, were you guys using a router, switch or hub at Devilman's?

Random thought: Has anyone thought about using NHE over xlink? Wouldn't it be cool to have an xbox behind a fiber connection running host over xlink? If you could automate the controls on the host box it would be a defacto dedicated server, and both parties would be connecting to one really good connection instead of each other.

We used an unmanaged gigabit switch at each station.

I've been playing on NHE for a while now and am used to the shot lead required.  To me shooting feels really smooth and consistent, so much more so than on/off host.  And I think this is especially telling given how well NHE handled ffas and 4v4s.  However there were some people that I teamed with at the lan this weekend that had trouble adjusting.  And some even switched out the xbox we were playing on even though I was shooting just fine. I think until you play it for a while and get used to it, I don't think you can fairly discern whether it is the xbox, or just your shot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We used an unmanaged gigabit switch at each station.

Good that's what I was going to recommend.

Random thought: Has anyone thought about using NHE over xlink? Wouldn't it be cool to have an xbox behind a fiber connection running host over xlink? If you could automate the controls on the host box it would be a defacto dedicated server, and both parties would be connecting to one really good connection instead of each other.

Thought about it. Thing is, you'll need at least one 2-box since you can only have 4 boxes in system link. And even if you can get a 2-box, you're either going to need one dedicated guy to host up and start matches even though he won't be playing, or you'll end up with the hostbox on the same network as one of the player-boxes, so there would still be a significant advantage there, albeit the discrepancy won't be quite as bad as normal XLink onhost/offhost.

Thought about it. Thing is, you'll need at least one 2-box since you can only have 4 boxes in system link. And even if you can get a 2-box, you're either going to need one dedicated guy to host up and start matches even though he won't be playing, or you'll end up with the hostbox on the same network as one of the player-boxes, so there would still be a significant advantage there, albeit the discrepancy won't be quite as bad as normal XLink onhost/offhost.

True. I guess my thought was it would allow pairs to play when they can't find 2 more people locally. There would have to be a way to send commands to the host xbox remotely though, which I'm sure can be done. I wish there was a working xbox emulator out there just to test this on a VM and see what it's like.

I just posted some neutral host games on my youtube channel if anyone is into that sort of thing.  I love neutral host, and I don't know why I would play anything else after all of the maps are ready.  It felt great to me, and played fine.  No complaints, but I didn't get to play as much as I wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Glendacunt/videos

• Upvote (+1) 3

I thought of this at the lan. If you 2box with hostman, hostman will spawn up and you'll just spawn as regular host on xlink. However, the advantage here is that you'll get splitscreen FOV. 

I thought of this at the lan. If you 2box with hostman, hostman will spawn up and you'll just spawn as regular host on xlink. However, the advantage here is that you'll get splitscreen FOV. 

Umm, unless they made some changes to how it works NHE does not teleport anyone if there are two players on the host xbox.

Doesn't that also give you host if you're on the same box as hostman?

@ smoking the good stuff

yes....but the point is that a 1box can now have split screen....

@@Cujjer Also i brought this up with devilman and he didn't say it wouldn't* work... and agreed it would work... but now that i think about it... maybe hostman teleports up if theres more than 4 players, not because of solo box. Haven't tested.

Hostman teleports if there are 3, 5, 7, or 9 players in a game.  The teleported player will always be player 1 on the host box.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't matter what it is for.  The NHE script will always teleport player 1 on the host xbox IF there are 3, 5, 7, or 9 players in the game.  For instance, if you play splitscreen with 3 people on one xbox, player 1 (on the top half of the screen) will be teleported up to the host box.

For oh4's xlink example to work, he would have to host a game with 2 players on his xbox, then 3 other players would have to join his game.  The top player on his xbox (player 1) would teleport away at the start of the game, then oh4 could play bottom screen with splitscreen FOV.  Of course there would be no other benefit because the hostman is on the same xbox as oh4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Right, I'm saying more to cyrix and stuntman who were questioning what it was for. Oh4 only cares about FOV while playing by himself over xlink.

Also, could you use nhe for xlink? Set up a server on one Xbox in a neutral location and two other boxes join it? The host Xbox would have to be remotely controllable or someone has to be operating it though....

Also, could you use nhe for xlink? Set up a server on one Xbox in a neutral location and two other boxes join it? The host Xbox would have to be remotely controllable or someone has to be operating it though....

Yep. Though doubt this will ever become a thing.
  • Upvote (+1) 1