Cursed Lemon

Halo 1: Final

It's not in Crossway or Madhouse.  DDS made Crossway and Ponytar made Madhouse.  I think it was a good idea, but the majority of people that played Insid's maps with me did not like that.  You expect a certain amount of text on your screen as dumb as that sounds, and having only 4 maps show limited text at the time was a little weird.  I was personally neutral on the idea after playing the maps a bunch.  I know I have said it before but H1 players are generally not open to change, for better or worse.

Maybe that's the problem. If it was in all the maps rather than only a few maybe it would have been better-accepted.

Maybe that's the problem. If it was in all the maps rather than only a few maybe it would have been better-accepted.

i doubt it

If it was slowly integrated into casual lans, it might have stuck. But what usually happens is people travel for some intense games, you put this on and people lose micro battles causing them to lose the game so people get turned off real fast

It's objectively better. People only don't like it because it's different. It's the same reason there are LAN groups that use Final but still don't know the new maps. It blows my mind.

So there's a "remake" of this in H5 where the forger took some major liberties with the design. Personally, I love Imminent, but I find the forge remake questionable. I'll post the link if I find it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Imminent is GOAT tbh

It's my favorite 2's map.  Really fun for KotH as well if you have 6-8 players.

Just don't play Ball on it! Haha I thought Ball would be fun on this map, until I learned that it takes 30 seconds for the ball to reset when it goes off.  Longest game ever.

Now Reverse Tag on the other hand...that could be really fun...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah, okay. I didn't know that the shorter text was actually in 1.5 on some maps. And I don't find it surprising that some people hated it just because it's different, even though it pretty much is objectively better, like Hard Way said.

That's a shame though. I think it's really cool.

Halo1Final - NHE Beta v5 is up on the website http://www.halo1final.com.

Here is the equipment I recommend for use with NHE:
  • HUB: D-Link 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch
  • ETERNET CABLES: CAT-6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cables

Also, below is a guide for those of you that do not have a 3rd TV for the host box and want to avoid switching inputs during setup and in between games.

NEUTRAL HOST EDITION NO 3RD TV GUIDE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Host game from Title Screen:

Press DOWN, A, DOWN, DOWN, A, A, A, A, A, A, A.

Change map (to the left) from Select Teams Screen:

Slowly press B, B, LEFT, A, A.

Start next map (to the left) from Postgame Carnage Report:

Slowly press A, LEFT, A, A.

Helpful Tips:
1. Calibrate joysticks on hostman after xbox first boot/reset.
Note: Hostman will create lag if he moves during the game.
2. Go to system link lobby to see map & gametype selected on host xbox.
3. Map order, going left, is as follows:
Chilly, HH, Priz, RR, Dammy, Exhibit, Creek,
Decidia, DR, RR(New), Imminent, Outbound, Dere.

The guide is also located at http://www.halo1final.com/nheno3rdtv/.  I suggest saving the webpage on your phone as a quick reference until you have it memorized.

Please note that Halo1Final - NHE Beta v5 works for both NHE style games (3 xboxes) and the old style on/off host games (2 xboxes).  Therefore there should be no need to leave Halo1Final v1.1 on your xbox.  Feel free to make any suggestions or point out any errors that may have been missed so that we may correct them in the final release.

Enjoy:)

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo1Final - NHE Beta v5 is up on the website http://www.halo1final.com.

Here is the equipment I recommend for use with NHE:
  • HUB: D-Link 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch
  • ETERNET CABLES: CAT-6 Snagless Ethernet Patch Cables

Also, below is a guide for those of you that do not have a 3rd TV for the host box and want to avoid switching inputs during setup and in between games.

NEUTRAL HOST EDITION NO 3RD TV GUIDE

Host game from Title Screen:

Press DOWN, A, DOWN, DOWN, A, A, A, A, A, A, A.

Change map (to the left) from Select Teams Screen:

Slowly press B, B, LEFT, A, A.

Start next map (to the left) from Postgame Carnage Report:

Slowly press A, LEFT, A, A.

Helpful Tips:
1. Calibrate joysticks on hostman after xbox first boot/reset.
Note: Hostman will create lag if he moves during the game.
2. Go to system link lobby to see map & gametype selected on host xbox.
3. Map order, going left, is as follows:
Chilly, HH, Priz, RR, Dammy, Exhibit, Creek,
Decidia, DR, RR(New), Imminent, Outbound, Dere.

The guide is also located at http://www.halo1final.com/nheno3rdtv/.  I suggest saving the webpage on your phone as a quick reference until you have it memorized.

Please note that Halo1Final - NHE Beta v5 works for both NHE style games (3 xboxes) and the old style on/off host games (2 xboxes).  Therefore there should be no need to leave Halo1Final v1.1 on your xbox.  Feel free to make any suggestions or point out any errors that may have been missed so that we may correct them in the final release.

Enjoy:)

Curious to know what's been changed on Rat Race.

ooooooooh.  Interesting.  Where exactly?

Pretty sure it's in the large open area up top, right in the middle.  I played on it last year and I think that's where it was. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So how is NHE coming along? Also, how much better does it play with neutral host? Are you guys happy with the results so far? 

@@Missingno @@stunt_man

From my small amount of time with it it felt pretty good. I need to play more to be able to tell for sure whether or not it's better than normal off-host. I'm thinking "yes" because the off-host box isn't going to suffer the same framerate drops as the on-host box, with NHE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reading the update section was really fun. Is there a forum thread where the guys discuss developing NHE in detail?

The only thing that bothers me is to see that lonely host player be in last the whole game. I'm sure it's been discussed and would have been addressed if there was an easy way to do it already.

I'm also curious as to how much added ram and overclocking the CPU improve performance. If only there was a way to attach a 10GbE network card/adapter, or something better than gigabit.

There is a private discussion for the development of NHE that as far I know will remain private. Technical information will be published on the update page at halo1final.com

I'm also curious as to how much added ram and overclocking the CPU improve performance. If only there was a way to attach a 10GbE network card/adapter, or something better than gigabit.

IIRC halo is designed to only support the 64 mbs of ram the xboxes came with. If you add more, it just won't use it. Also Wireshark indicates that during a match there is less than 1mbps of data transmitted. The improved network adapter would make no difference.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm sure there would have to be modifications made so that the game knows it could address additional ram, but yeah maybe that's too difficult to do. Upgrading the CPU does work though. For the network, the goal wouldn't be improving bandwidth but rather latency. Second-hand enterprise server equipment can be had that greatly reduces latency (typically used for SANs) in addition to increasing bandwidth.