Cursed Lemon

Halo 1: Final

In my experience, Dere was always a shitshow and way too open to have any real chance of fighting back

Off host wasnt fun on it either tho LOL

How strange, I always find it to be a very balanced and enjoyable experience. I wonder what could cause us to have such different experiences.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How strange, I always find it to be a very balanced and enjoyable experience. I wonder what could cause us to have such different experiences.

It is personal preference, I hate open air maps with a passion so I couldn't ever like Derelict, FFA's were awesome on it though

I wonder how many games of derelict were won just because 1 team spawned u top and the other spawned bottom

The original is good, and like Cujjer said, Rockets aren't as important on that map because of the sightlines being so long.  Camo Sniper is much more devastating.  And once both teams know how to spawn each other top and nade down camo quickly, the momentum shifts are much more frequent.  I like the new Dere better more for the camo at bottom middle than the rockets being 2 minutes.  I like that it's safer for the bottom team to get, and I like that it forces the top team to send a guy low, which pretty much never happens on the original.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The original is good, and like Cujjer said, Rockets aren't as important on that map because of the sightlines being so long.  Camo Sniper is much more devastating.  And once both teams know how to spawn each other top and nade down camo quickly, the momentum shifts are much more frequent.  I like the new Dere better more for the camo at bottom middle than the rockets being 2 minutes.  I like that it's safer for the bottom team to get, and I like that it forces the top team to send a guy low, which pretty much never happens on the original.

I had a discussion with cT sometime back about this exact same thing. What i comes down to is that the camo on bottom version of derelict plays alot more like prisoner. It has the positive of enhancing the maps ability to differenciate between good and bad players. But the thing is, why not just play prisoner a second time in a series if you like that style of play more? Theres a point where its seems silly to me to even call the map Derelict when it barely plays like the original map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had a discussion with cT sometime back about this exact same thing. What i comes down to is that the camo on bottom version of derelict plays alot more like prisoner. It has the positive of enhancing the maps ability to differenciate between good and bad players. But the thing is, why not just play prisoner a second time in a series if you like that style of play more? Theres a point where its seems silly to me to even call the map Derelict when it barely plays like the original map.

Yes, it plays similar to Prisoner with those settings, but we both know it's not anywhere close to a duplicate, and has it's own merit. I like original Derelict as well for its unique playstyle, but cT's version is a more legitimate map imo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The original is good, and like Cujjer said, Rockets aren't as important on that map because of the sightlines being so long. Camo Sniper is much more devastating. And once both teams know how to spawn each other top and nade down camo quickly, the momentum shifts are much more frequent. I like the new Dere better more for the camo at bottom middle than the rockets being 2 minutes. I like that it's safer for the bottom team to get, and I like that it forces the top team to send a guy low, which pretty much never happens on the original.

It just depends on how much you played it-- we didn't play CE competitively like some people did, so we didn't enjoy Dere unless it was FFA

I'M SORRY OK

My only point is that if dere had shipped in 2001 my way, aligned with all the other maps in it's design philosophy and weapon timing, and then someone tried to change it to 30 sec rocket and cam up top a decade later, they would have been completely derided laughed out of the building for even suggesting it. The fact that dere is even playable in its current form is a testament to how incredibly versatile and balanced the core mechanics of H1 are. People have become so good that they are able to consistently win on Derelict despite it's design, not because of it.

Your dere sounds way better tbh

I'd say Prisoner's spawn-raping sets it apart pretty heavily. And as Hard Way said, Dere is more about sniper than rockets. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@stunt_man you are working on your own maps for PC, yes?

How far-fetched would it be to have them ported to the OG box alongside the Halo 1 final maps?

I have a few maps in the works at different stages of development but I'm focusing mainly on the Xbox project and the Halo 1.5 map ports. The Xbox project is almost complete and the Halo 1.5 maps don't have much work yet, and I can't wait to get back to my own stuff after all this time. I'll be streaming when I work on my maps.

It's not far-fetched in terms of porting it to Xbox. I was thinking about it anyway. I even posted in this very thread asking what the least-played maps are in the Halo 1 final pack so I can determine which ones can be replaced without being missed (if possible).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a few maps in the works at different stages of development but I'm focusing mainly on the Xbox project and the Halo 1.5 map ports. The Xbox project is almost complete and the Halo 1.5 maps don't have much work yet, and I can't wait to get back to my own stuff after all this time. I'll be streaming when I work on my maps.

It's not far-fetched in terms of porting it to Xbox. I was thinking about it anyway. I even posted in this very thread asking what the least-played maps are in the Halo 1 final pack so I can determine which ones can be replaced without being missed (if possible).

Cool shit. That Lucidity map you made (I think you made it, one of lat3ski's videos says you did in the description) was pretty dope. So glad to see you and others actually give enough of a shit to fix or at least try to fix the overarching issues with Halo online

I'd say Prisoner's spawn-raping sets it apart pretty heavily. And as Hard Way said, Dere is more about sniper than rockets. 

I don't disagree. In the context of comparing the maps to each other, its not too far fetched to conclude that the version of derelict that Insidious and cT created has more in common with prisoner than any other map has with another. 

Keep in mind, my goal with expressing these sorts of ideas is not to discourage people from critiquing the original maps. I have just been in more situations than i would like where players have refused to play derelict or dismissed a loss on it because they view it as an 'illegitimate' map. I feel that the opinions expressed by some of the people on competitive halo boards is at least partially to blame for this idea.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't disagree. In the context of comparing the maps to each other, its not too far fetched to conclude that the version of derelict that Insidious and cT created has more in common with prisoner than any other map has with another. 

Keep in mind, my goal with expressing these sorts of ideas is not to discourage people from critiquing the original maps. I have just been in more situations than i would like where players have refused to play derelict or dismissed a loss on it because they view it as an 'illegitimate' map. I feel that the opinions expressed by some of the people on competitive halo boards is at least partially to blame for this idea.

That's an idiotic stance for someone to take because one could say the exact same thing about Prisoner, it's a "bullshit" map but nobody complains about it for some reason. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's an idiotic stance for someone to take because one could say the exact same thing about Prisoner, it's a "bullshit" map but nobody complains about it for some reason.

Meh because you have a 3 shot pistol and CAN break spawn traps. Plus bottom is more viable with rocks and camo

The two bullshit maps personally for me are Hang Em and Dere. Derelict is near impossible to survive if you're on bottom and Hang Em high level is just about randoms. You dont even really have to do anything right!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Meh because you have a 3 shot pistol and CAN break spawn traps. Plus bottom is more viable with rocks and camo

The two bullshit maps personally for me are Hang Em and Dere. Derelict is near impossible to survive if you're on bottom and Hang Em high level is just about randoms. You dont even really have to do anything right!

Camo and rocks on Priz are a mosh pit of grenades if you're playing guys who know what they're doing. It's still all about creeping your way back up top without necessarily brute forcing it.