Cursed Lemon

Halo 1: Final

I was just messing around in the game and when I tried to boot CTF on Derelict or Wizard, the game would start, but I wouldn't spawn in. Instead I'd be stuck with a fixed camera angle with "Rejoin in 0" appearing in the top left of the screen.

When I attempted to boot CTF on Prisoner, it worked fine. Then, when I attempted to boot CTF on Battle Creek, the game just crashed in the pre-game lobby when "Loading level..." appeared at the top. I didn't try any other maps after that.

Is CTF supposed to be broken in Halo 1: Final? I know that no one really plays CTF, so I'd understand if no one bothered to make it work here, but I just want to know if it's supposed to be like that, or if there's something wrong with my game somehow.

Also, what is the "carousel[2minRocketSpawn].map" file for?

The spawns for objective plain out don't work as they were never coded in. 

I was just messing around in the game and when I tried to boot CTF on Derelict or Wizard, the game would start, but I wouldn't spawn in. Instead I'd be stuck with a fixed camera angle with "Rejoin in 0" appearing in the top left of the screen.

When I attempted to boot CTF on Prisoner, it worked fine. Then, when I attempted to boot CTF on Battle Creek, the game just crashed in the pre-game lobby when "Loading level..." appeared at the top. I didn't try any other maps after that.

Is CTF supposed to be broken in Halo 1: Final? I know that no one really plays CTF, so I'd understand if no one bothered to make it work here, but I just want to know if it's supposed to be like that, or if there's something wrong with my game somehow.

Also, what is the "carousel[2minRocketSpawn].map" file for?

Player spawns are set on a per-gametype basis, I assume the CTF spawns were disabled for any map that isn't used for CTF in general.

That carousel map is Derelict. The map file name can differ from the in-game map name (ex: Derelict = carousel.map, Chiron = putput.map, Battle Creek = beavercreek.map, etc).

That version of Derelict simply has 2-min rocket spawn time instead of 30 secs.

The spawns for objective plain out don't work as they were never coded in.

Player spawns are set on a per-gametype basis, I assume the CTF spawns were disabled for any map that isn't used for CTF in general.

Okay, thanks. That's what I was assuming.

That carousel map is Derelict. The map file name can differ from the in-game map name (ex: Derelict = carousel.map, Chiron = putput.map, Battle Creek = beavercreek.map, etc).

That version of Derelict simply has 2-min rocket spawn time instead of 30 secs.

I know that some of the file names are different from the actual map names. I just wasn't sure why there were two for Derelict. That's neat that you can swap out the files for a more standard rocket spawn time.

@

Which of the h1final/h1.5 maps are considered the best? Which are considered the worst?

I want to stagger the PC releases of them, but I don't want to release all the best ones together and then all the worse ones afterwards, but rather mix it up. I'd release them in pairs, with one good map and less-good one.

@

Which of the h1final/h1.5 maps are considered the best? Which are considered the worst?

I want to stagger the PC releases of them, but I don't want to release all the best ones together and then all the worse ones afterwards, but rather mix it up. I'd release them in pairs, with one good map and less-good one.

S tier: downrush

A tier: imminent/exhibit

B tier: decidia

C tier: Red shift, hotbox, doubletake, madhouse

D tier: Uplift

F tier: Levee/crosswalk

• Upvote (+1) 3

What about Zero Hour? Outbound?

Outbound should be in tier B. Zero hour, crosswalk, doubletake and levee seem too big to play 2s on. I would only use them on your 4s servers. Also, i feel that Hotbox is better than oh4 ranked it. It should be in tier B. I also find Exhibit to be at least as enjoyable as Downrush. Its like playing Chillout without there being a camp Pink strat.

lol. I wrote down S-Btier then forgot the rest of the maps, Then wrote down btier-ftier as I sat on my xbox then forgot to put B tier in my post. Outbound B tier, Zerohour is B-C tier. 

also seems like zero hour is already on hpc. Same user has a video of hpc imminent and downrush. Don't know if that could savey ou some time

cujjer sniped my reply, but I think doubletake and zerohour are fine in a 2v2 as long as people don't take the W too seriously. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Outbound should be in tier B. Zero hour, crosswalk, doubletake and levee seem too big to play 2s on. I would only use them on your 4s servers. Also, i feel that Hotbox is better than oh4 ranked it. It should be in tier B. I also find Exhibit to be at least as enjoyable as Downrush. Its like playing Chillout without there being a camp Pink strat.

I played some 2v2's as a test for the release candidate of Doubletake with some of the guys in the Discord channel and it seemed OK. We may not have been playing at the highest possible level but we still time weapons, stay aware of player spawning, voice chat for both teams, etc. Didn't seem too slow to me. Haven't played Crosswalk and Levee enough to have a strong opinion. Thanks for the response.

lol. I wrote down S-Btier then forgot the rest of the maps, Then wrote down btier-ftier as I sat on my xbox then forgot to put B tier in my post. Outbound B tier, Zerohour is B-C tier. 

also seems like zero hour is already on hpc. Same user has a video of hpc imminent and downrush. Don't know if that could savey ou some time

cujjer sniped my reply, but I think doubletake and zerohour are fine in a 2v2 as long as people don't take the W too seriously.

Yeah Downrush and Zerohour were ported last summer by SBB Mike, who's since shown me how to rip the Xbox maps. We've established some quality standards and enhancements, and we've both been working on porting the rest. So far they're all in game, at various stages of development (many needed a lot of touching up - the porting process is a bit screwy).

By the way if anyone's interested I'm releasing the Decidia & Doubletake ports probably on Tuesday. I'll post in here and in my Halo PC thread.

Imminent is S-tier. Arguably the single best map produced for the Halo franchise.

Imminent is S-tier. Arguably the single best map produced for the Halo franchise.

I find it funny Imminent's mobility is why its considered great when its the reason everyone hates Halo 5

I am curious as to how you guys would rank the stock maps using the same S-F tiers?

I'll use this info to directly influence the map weighting in my map cycle.

I find it funny Imminent's mobility is why its considered great when its the reason everyone hates Halo 5

Different types of mobility.

It's not like when you're playing Imminent you can just sprint away from a firefight and clamber into cover.

I am curious as to how you guys would rank the stock maps using the same S-F tiers?

I'm not as experienced at Halo 1 as some of these OG H1 veterans in here so please take my ranking of the stock disc maps with a grain of salt. 

S tier: Chill Out

A tier: Prisoner/Damnation 

B tier: Hang 'Em High

C tier: Derelict/Battle Creek

D tier: Rat Race

F tier: Wizard/Longest

• Upvote (+1) 1

Different types of mobility.

It's not like when you're playing Imminent you can just sprint away from a firefight and clamber into cover.

S: Prisoner/Chillout

A: Derelict/Battle creek

B: Damnation

C: Hang em High

D: Rat Race

F: Don't put longest or wizard on your 2s server.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not as experienced at Halo 1 as some of these OG H1 veterans in here so please take my ranking of the stock disc maps with a grain of salt. 

S tier: Chill Out

A tier: Prisoner/Damnation 

B tier: Hang 'Em High

C tier: Derelict/Battle Creek

D tier: Rat Race

F tier: Wizard/Longest

S: Prisoner/Chillout

A: Derelict/Battle creek

B: Damnation

C: Hang em High

D: Rat Race

F: Don't put longest or wizard on your 2s server.

Thanks guys. I didn't like Wizard and Longest in the rotation but I felt like I had to include them. One of the five vote slots was going to be reserved for F-tier maps, but with the upcoming Halo 1.5 PC ports I think I'll have enough maps anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I ranked them in comparison to themselves, not the original maps. 

But chilly+priz are by far and away the most fun maps for CE 2v2. barely any complaints by anyone ever. 

Damnation and hang em high have their own flavor, just not as fun because damnation can be really slow at times with shit spawns and hang em is shitty spawns for yourself or insane spawns for yourself. Nothing better than randoming to shit spawn thrice in a row on dammy

Battle creek is just annoying that camo is so hard to get. 

Derelict adds another flavor but I personally don't like the cascading advantages it has. The meta when not in control is pretty much "hope we get a very good spawn and they choke."

If this was the xbox group, weighing any of the 1.5 maps above the OG is heresy, but since its mostly the online audience having downrush/imminent/exhibit have a high weighting is more than fine. I'd personally love to play on them more since I rarely get to. 

also wizard/longest are duds. Rat race is boring, but it's not a terrible map, again just very boring.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Considering the general consensus that Wizard is an awful map, what was the reasoning behind it making the cut into Halo 1: Final instead of a sixth Halo 1.5 map?

Considering the general consensus that Wizard is an awful map, what was the reasoning behind it making the cut into Halo 1: Final instead of a sixth Halo 1.5 map?

It's the map everyone picks to warm up their pistol on split screen while they're waiting for opponents

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's the map everyone picks to warm up their pistol on split screen while they're waiting for opponents

That is its sole purpose. 

That is its sole purpose. 

Lol. Alright. That makes sense.

On a semi-related note: let's say I'm hypothetically working on two dank new maps and I want to release them as an addition to the Halo 1.5 maps. Which maps are the least-favorite, so I can know which ones can be replaced? Should I just refer to the rankings that were posted earlier?

Just wanted to say I love seeing all the new map talk.  Been playing them since 2009, and I'm still a big fan of most of them.  I still play them every chance I get.

@@stunt_man will you have PC versions of Imminent, Exhibit, and Outbound, in addition to Decidia?  I know the maps like the back of my hand but I would really like to see them all on Halospawns if Relyx could do it.  I know he needs the PC versions for that though.  

Also I just want to say, we played Zero Hour a ton in TN, in 2's.  Although it was primarily designed as a 4v4 CTF map, which it is awesome for.  It was kind of weird, the map was fun...then really boring, then we all got really good at it and it became very fun again.  It was the only map my LAN group was bummed about not being in Final.  

Outbound is great too.  Has more random spawns than you would think and provides some cool camo plays.  

Another thing, I don't think anyone ever saw the original Madhouse.  It is not like the one that was released to everyone.  I have a video somewhere if anyone would be interested in seeing the original.  The first version was almost like a 4 level Prisoner with a little more cover, but there were some absolutely devastating spawn traps that really hurt the map.

• Upvote (+1) 2