Cursed Lemon

Halo 1: Final

I have never had the opportunity to play a CE LAN competitively. What is the biggest difference between on/off-host players; how big of an edge is it for the host team?

-Offhost has more shot lead.

-Offhost aiming/movement is a bit stiff for a lack of better words.

Imagine you have tiny weights on your wrists and ankles while the other team has no weights tied to them. There is a clear disadvantage but a better team or exceptional performance can easily beat the host team.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have never had the opportunity to play a CE LAN competitively. What is the biggest difference between on/off-host players; how big of an edge is it for the host team?

Imagine you have tiny weights on your wrists and ankles while the other team has no weights tied to them. There is a clear disadvantage but a better team or exceptional performance can easily beat the host team.

Pretty much this. While it's not a huge difference (like on XBC/XLink, for example), there is still enough of a discrepancy to justify playing a series twice (each team plays on-host/off-host) so as to rule out the host advantage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just for the sake of time, I'm so grateful for NHE. Maybe people can use all that extra time to actually learn the new maps. Lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, with NHE does everyone have the metaphorical weighty feeling or does the "hostman" fix it?

So, with NHE does everyone have the metaphorical weighty feeling or does the "hostman" fix it?

every1 has the little weights

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you're interested.

Wait there was a spawn that was removed for Halo 1 Final?

Which version do you feel plays better (if it even makes much of a difference)?

Wait there was a spawn that was removed for Halo 1 Final?

Which version do you feel plays better (if it even makes much of a difference)?

https://youtu.be/P5WxegoBq40?t=711

Watch where P1 spawns.  It was left out accidentally by Jeff, I think.  I do not think it is a big deal, there are a lot of spawns at 1 anyway.  The accidental removal of the spawn only guarantees the random from the corner at 1 (check halospawns.)  You could still get the random before, but you had to stand a very particular way.  To me it changed mostly nothing.  Pretty sure I asked my TN lan group when I found it if anyone saw a downside, and no one thought it made a big deal.  If you COULDN'T have gotten a random before, I think it would have changed things.

You can actually see me show my teammate the random right after spawning.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there a place where one can follow the technical/development discussions regarding Halo 1: Final? On another forum, on discord, or something?

Is there a place where one can follow the technical/development discussions regarding Halo 1: Final? On another forum, on discord, or something?

Halo 1: Final is no longer in development. Focus has shifted to NHE. You can find some info here:

http://www.halo1final.com/NHE/#

Development discussions remain private due to their technical nature, and due to the fact that decisions are rapidly being made in order to progress. More frequent blog updates would be nice, but on the other hand there's value in keep things under wraps until there's something to show. If the discussions were more open Jeff, insidi0us and Dman would have encountered must more resistance from the community and they wouldn't have been able to actually release anything so quickly.

I intended to write NHE, not final. Thanks for the info anyway.

The need for privacy I can understand, but I would have hoped that at least some details were shared either in this thread or in blogs on the H1F website.

It would also be very useful if some of the more knowledgable participants at the Beach LAN would contribute theri thoughts on the status of NHE. Hard Way wrote a little bit on reddit, but I would love to read other perspectives as well.

I intended to write NHE, not final. Thanks for the info anyway.

The need for privacy I can understand, but I would have hoped that at least some details were shared either in this thread or in blogs on the H1F website.

It would also be very useful if some of the more knowledgable participants at the Beach LAN would contribute theri thoughts on the status of NHE. Hard Way wrote a little bit on reddit, but I would love to read other perspectives as well.

I only LAN NHE now, unless I'm playing new maps, and I love it.  My only complaint is that I have to go back and play on/off host for new maps.  It takes less time, I can play different teams faster, everyone is theoretically on the same playing field.  I know some players do not like it, but if I'm lanning at my place, it's all NHE except for new maps.  I just uploaded a ton of NHE lan vids to my Youtube if you're wondering how it looks.  I've only played NHE on...4 different stations, and it all felt good to me. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I only LAN NHE now, unless I'm playing new maps, and I love it. My only complaint is that I have to go back and play on/off host for new maps. It takes less time, I can play different teams faster, everyone is theoretically on the same playing field. I know some players do not like it, but if I'm lanning at my place, it's all NHE except for new maps. I just uploaded a ton of NHE lan vids to my Youtube if you're wondering how it looks. I've only played NHE on...4 different stations, and it all felt good to me.

The feel varied pretty heavily at BL5 from station to station. I wasn't the only one that noticed it. I feel like the feeling was amplified for me though because I was legitimately one of the worst players there, so I was getting smashed on most games. I just had a really hard time adapting to it.

That said, NHE is freaking incredible, and I have a ton of respect for what Dman and crew have done. I just need more reps on it, preferably when I'm not playing way over my head.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find it hard to believe that something as precise as a computer is more likely to be the cause of players' perceived inconsistencies than sleep deprivation, hunger, adderall, alcohol, mood, or just simply being a human who cannot perform the same action repeatedly with 100% accuracy. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks for the replies.

@Missingno: I noticed you uploaded a bunch. Haven't had time to watch yet, but I will. But small variations in latency are not necessarily so easy to catch on a vido imho.

EDIT: The BeachLAN final was uploaded yesterday as well, btw:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find it hard to believe that something as precise as a computer is more likely to be the cause of players' perceived inconsistencies than sleep deprivation, hunger, adderall, alcohol, mood, or just simply being a human who cannot perform the same action repeatedly with 100% efficiency. 

Preach

Hey guys,

I'm a long time Xbox Halo 1 fan and just found out about the PC custom edition and Halo 1: Final the other day. I'm working on a modded Xbox or two for me and my friends to play Final and want to check out the custom edition on PC as well. My only issue is I can't find a PC edition to download and my computer doesn't have a disc drive to install a physical disc. If possible I want to avoid buying an add on disc drive. If anyone here knows of a place to download it or knows of any other solutions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey guys,

I'm a long time Xbox Halo 1 fan and just found out about the PC custom edition and Halo 1: Final the other day. I'm working on a modded Xbox or two for me and my friends to play Final and want to check out the custom edition on PC as well. My only issue is I can't find a PC edition to download and my computer doesn't have a disc drive to install a physical disc. If possible I want to avoid buying an add on disc drive. If anyone here knows of a place to download it or knows of any other solutions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Discord room in my signature and ask about Custom Edition in the main chat

We are trying to plan a small Halo C.E. LAN in Dallas.  We may just do off/on host but we would prefer to use NHE.  

I am looking into buying an og xbox for the LAN. I did some looking around on ebay and it seems like when searching for modded xbox, it is never clear how it was modded and the price is usually much higher.   I have found a lot of the green xboxs for really cheap, and they come with controllers and power & a/v & ce, but they are not modded.  

I am wondering if is the cheaper route to just buy a regular xbox and mod it myself.

Does anyone know the best way to get a modded xbox running NHE?  Good place to buy a modded xbox?

Does it require hard modding, or just soft modding?  

I am so clueless. Pleases help.  

Hey guys,

How are you modding boxes?  Buy them modded, or just doing it your self?   Do you have a guide?

We are trying to plan a small Halo C.E. LAN in Dallas.  We may just do off/on host but we would prefer to use NHE.  

I am looking into buying an og xbox for the LAN. I did some looking around on ebay and it seems like when searching for modded xbox, it is never clear how it was modded and the price is usually much higher.   I have found a lot of the green xboxs for really cheap, and they come with controllers and power & a/v & ce, but they are not modded.  

I am wondering if is the cheaper route to just buy a regular xbox and mod it myself.

Does anyone know the best way to get a modded xbox running NHE?  Good place to buy a modded xbox?

Does it require hard modding, or just soft modding?  

I am so clueless. Pleases help.  

How are you modding boxes?  Buy them modded, or just doing it your self?   Do you have a guide?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just wanna say that me and my group of friends really appreciate all of the work that was put into this project.  This revived Halo for us.  We had a LAN last night and had ten people there, it was a great time.  Most people were reluctant to play the new maps at first but now they're really starting to like them.  I'm getting started learning more about map making and modding and hopefully I can contribute in the future.  Any advice pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated  :) .  Keep up the good work guys!

• Upvote (+1) 4