Cursed Lemon

Halo 1: Final

Yep. Though doubt this will ever become a thing.

It would be really cool to see something like this tested out. Remotely controlling an xbox wouldn't be too hard to set up, and you could stream the video from the host box at a low framerate so people can navigate easily. The idea of having a host behind a fiber connection would be really cool, but it would require at least one box to have two people. Even do a 3 person ffa would be kind of fun to me, but that's probably just me.

The original xbox can only run one executable at a time so having the xbox do it is out of the question.

Not sure what you're talking about Devilman. What I was saying is having the host box be somewhere different than where people are trying to play (hopefully in between them and with a better connection). Then, you could either have someone man the host box and coordinate with them through a chat or find a way to allow one of the people actually playing to control the host box remotely.

Here's another idea @ might like: What if NHE could be set up in a way that in a situation where there is only one person on a box, have them join with two people and spawn the extra player up where host is, effectively giving that person the split screen view. Now that would be quite a problem the tackle in figuring out the logic behind that and may mess up other things, but would be kind of cool. Maybe find a way to figure out like if the second controller is plugged into ports 2-3, then it's someone actually playing. But if it's in port 4, it should be spawn up in the host box.

Cyrix, I understand you want to have the host box somewhere different.  You said remotely controlling an xbox wouldn't be too hard to set up and I was just letting you know that you cannot remotely access an xbox while a game is running.  That leaves you only the following options (none of which are convenient or easy to do):

1. Have somebody host games for you.

2. Use a computer to emulate an xbox controller and have it interface the host xbox through the usb/controller port.  Then remotely control the computer to host games.

3. Build a robot hand that can use an xbox controller.  Hook it up to a computer and then remotely control the computer controlling the robot hand to host games.

Unless I'm missing something there is no other way to allow the people actually playing to control the host box remotely.  That may change after the xbox is emulated at full speed, however that is several years off at the current rate xbox emulation is progressing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah, that makes sense Devilman. I guess to me this would be creating some version of #2/3, and that wouldn't be too hard to do, but trying option 1 first to test it out.

Getting a KB/M adapter for the original xbox is pretty cheap nowadays, and sending keyboard commands using something like an arduino is pretty basic, so I think it would be possible to setting something up where a remote use could SSH in to a computer that sends commands to the host xbox. Ideally instead of having the remote user navigate through all of the options, they could just worry about map/gametype and a script sets everything up.

Colocating a 1U server box that has an xbox and a NUC inside of it wouldn't be unrealistic, and would have that benefit of being behind a fiber connection. But I think some thorough testing of NHE on xlink would be in order first, and if you had 6 people in 3 locations you could even rotate host and not sit out for too long.

Yeah I like watching them too. Although I'll rarely, if ever, play competitive 2's :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah keep 'em coming, good stuff @@Missingno

Let me add to this and say that it's great to have in-depth explanations of the new maps. I think the main reason they aren't played quite as much as the vanilla maps is that there's this impression that the new maps don't have the same level of depth. Understandable, but the perceived lack of depth is not due to poor map design, but rather because there's less information about them. So every video that shows map tricks, including nade tricks and player spawn stuff, is encouraging. Exhibit, Imminent, Downrush & Decidia play very well, and I hope people start exploring and finding new tricks on these maps and share them with other players.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Idea for NHE: If there is a way to script in mp maps, script the host player to switch into dev/spectator/scripted cam that provides a top down view of the map, or switches between a few views in key parts of the map. Would put the host box to good use and add some cool cameras angles that could be spliced in with the game film to make things more spectator friendly.

Idea for NHE: If there is a way to script in mp maps, script the host player to switch into dev/spectator/scripted cam that provides a top down view of the map, or switches between a few views in key parts of the map. Would put the host box to good use and add some cool cameras angles that could be spliced in with the game film to make things more spectator friendly.

This would impact performance. Ex: when the host suffers a frame drop, the off-host boxes also suffer the same drop. This is much more apparent when a 2-box is hosting, but it also occurs when a 1-box is hosting (think Xlink).

That being said, it's theoretically 100% possible to script in even fancier stuff like flythroughs of the maps, and call in a sequence of scripts at the beginning of a match that cycles through the camera tracks.

Would be cool to test, maybe using a 128mb ram box would end up covering the extra performance needed. Maybe a 4th both could be designated as a camera box! Just thinking out loud.

I also then wonder if you could do some things to help performance on the host box like enable wireframe, disable video rendering, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would be cool to test, maybe using a 128mb ram box would end up covering the extra performance needed. Maybe a 4th both could be designated as a camera box! Just thinking out loud.

I also then wonder if you could do some things to help performance on the host box like enable wireframe, disable video rendering, etc.

These are questions for the Xbox modding channel in the Discord, those guys might know what to do. The wireframe idea is a good one, but it's a devmode cheat and I don't think it can be enabled/disabled using a map script.

Not sure if this is where I've been posting these or if anyone cares but here you go.

Helpful stuff as always man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Give a noob some help. Have modded box. Have downloaded it. What do now.

Use an FTP program like Filezilla to move the files to the box. 

So after moving them to the box all is well?

If you copied the files over to the E drive already, just turn on the console and go into the File Explorer and navigate to where you dropped it. Launch the default.xbe of the mod you want to play

Also let's Xlink this week sometime

If you copied the files over to the E drive already, just turn on the console and go into the File Explorer and navigate to where you dropped it. Launch the default.xbe of the mod you want to play

Also let's Xlink this week sometime

I've got Thursday off so after I get all this shit done I'll see what I can do. I'll message you on discord when I have an hour or so. 

I have never had the opportunity to play a CE LAN competitively. What is the biggest difference between on/off-host players; how big of an edge is it for the host team?