Animosity

BR PROJECTILE or Hitscan DMR?

95 members have voted

1. 1. ON LAN, do you prefer the Halo 3 BR or Reach DMR

• BR (h3)
    • DMR (reach/4)
    • Either

Pretty simple, I know br projectile (leading) was crappy online, but on LAN I feel like it added a nice skill gap to the game, calculating distance and making up for it with leading your shots, I think I prefer Leading over Hitscan.

You?

edit: changed spread to leading.

Needing to lead your shots and having spread are entirely independent of each other. I'll take the perfectly accurate weapon for all players over the questionably inaccurate one any day before even thinking about the projectile vs hitscan argument because consistency in a competitive environment like Halo which aims to spawn all players with equal opportunity is crucial.

Yes, projectile registration is better overall (when it works), but a random spread mechanic works directly in opposition to the projectile system by reducing the skill ceiling significantly - a player may physically be able to aim well enough to lead shots correctly at longer ranges, but when the bullet trajectories vary more the further that distance become the two mechanics are in conflict with each other and the RNG will supercede the shooter's input every time essentially taking part of the player's agency and ability to have an effect on the state of the game out of his hands and leaving it up to the game.

A utility weapon with uncontrollable random spread is an oxymoron.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. The random BR spread is one of the major reasons that I quit Halo in early 2008, and didn't pick it up again until H4 launched (that was a big mistake). Even though the DMR was too easy to use in H4 (never played Reach), at least I knew my bullets would go where my gun was aimed, such was not the case in H3.

Therefore, I would take the DMR over the random BR any day of the week.

Needing to lead your shots and having spread are entirely independent of each other. I'll take the perfectly accurate weapon for all players over the questionably inaccurate one any day before even thinking about the projectile vs hitscan argument because consistency in a competitive environment like Halo which aims to spawn all players with equal opportunity is crucial.

Yes, projectile registration is better overall (when it works), but a random spread mechanic works directly in opposition to the projectile system by reducing the skill ceiling significantly - a player may physically be able to aim well enough to lead shots correctly at longer ranges, but when the bullet trajectories vary more the further that distance become the two mechanics are in conflict with each other and the RNG will supercede the shooter's input every time essentially taking part of the player's agency and ability to have an effect on the state of the game out of his hands and leaving it up to the game.

A utility weapon with uncontrollable random spread is an oxymoron.

dmr has spread. it's inaccurate for headshots past 35m (30m rrr) unscoped. bothersome tbh b/c scoping in at 30-50m is really awkward with a 3x scope.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Couldn't have said it any better myself. The random BR spread is one of the major reasons that I quit Halo in early 2008, and didn't pick it up again until H4 launched (that was a big mistake). Even though the DMR was too easy to use in H4 (never played Reach), at least I knew my bullets would go where my gun was aimed, such was not the case in H3.

Therefore, I would take the DMR over the random BR any day of the week.

the dmr in halo4 has fucking bloom bro. wtf are you talking about l0l
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

dmr has spread. it's inaccurate for headshots past 35m (30m rrr) unscoped. bothersome tbh b/c scoping in at 30-50m is really awkward with a 3x scope.

I'm going to disagree with this until I test it. I'm pretty sure that it's just the bullet magnetism dropping off significantly making it much more difficult to land those shots in a real gameplay environment.

I'm confident that when I've tested the DMR before (first thing I did once the patch came out and ZB was an option) that it was perfectly accurate. The Magnum on the other hand definitely has random spread in addition to potentially having bloom which is about as asinine as projectiel registration being paired with random spread.

I'll get back to you on the DMR spread claim.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty simple, I know br spread was crappy online, but on LAN I feel like it added a nice skill gap to the game, calculating distance and making up for it with leading your shots, I think I prefer Leading over Hitscan.

You?

leading shots and spread had nothing to do with each other....you have to lead shots in halo 1 and there is no spread (unless you hold the trigger on the pistol)...having to lead while having your bullets randomly go in different directions is terrible...it made the BR frustrating to use at longer ranges which fooled ppl into thinking the weapon was difficult and skillful.

I prefer leading over hitscan, but we've only had one good utility weapon with the lead function (h1 pistol)...so for me it's dmr >>> br

I'm going to disagree with this until I test it. I'm pretty sure that it's just the bullet magnetism dropping off significantly making it much more difficult to land those shots in a real gameplay environment.

I'm confident that when I've tested the DMR before (first thing I did once the patch came out and ZB was an option) that it was perfectly accurate. The Magnum on the other hand definitely has random spread in addition to potentially having bloom which is about as asinine as projectiel registration being paired with random spread.

I'll get back to you on the DMR spread claim.

i believe the h4 dmr is perfectly accurate on first shot. just not the hr one

Having to lead your shots is superior skill gap-wise. It makes it possible to navigate around an open area when an opponent is firing at you from a distance, without risking certain death even to less experienced players. It makes basic movement like strafing and jumping much more viable survival tools, and aiming from a distance, require experience in order to be able to calculate how much you have to lead based on how far the target is. It adds to the learning curve by a significant amount.

However, it's important to differentiate this. You can have spread on a weapon, whether it uses hitscan or projectile mechanics. For example, the AR in later games was hitscan, but has visible spread / bloom on it. 

Bloom is just the visual indicator of bullet spread. It's used to show how much of a spread increase there is with continuous fire, but some weapons have static spread, no matter how slow you fire them (and that's usually when the reticle doesn't show it).

All this said, projectile weapons are the most skillful. But I feel like some automatics should keep using hitscan. Most of the time, you won't get a good chance at leading your shots with them anyway. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I prefer the BR spread...more skillful than the hitscan DMR, but I would LOVE if the BR for Halo 5 got hitscan with no spread..or VERY small spread. I like having to hit all my shots precisely with either minimal lead or with hitscan bursts is what I love. Its the pace of the BR that makes Halo with the BR much more entertaining than the DMR.

I prefer the BR. I like the feel of it more the look, and the idea of a 3-burst instead of a single shot. It is more entertaining to use than the DMR. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I simply worded it wrong, better question would have just been would you prefer leading your shots or not leading your shots?

My answer still being, leading. 

I simply worded it wrong, better question would have just been would you prefer leading your shots or not leading your shots?

yea because you have ppl in here actually saying they enjoy spread...and I don't think they know what they are talking about...they are confusing it with leading, when it's not the same thing....no one who enjoys competitive halo should enjoy bullet spread, no one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather lead shots honestly. Maybe I'm weird but something feels "off" about the hitscan, single-shot weapons in the recent Halo games, IMO...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ummm... Anyone would voted for "Br spread" basically said they enjoy random, inconsistent weapons more then a consistent ones.

Poll should be "Hitscan" or "Ballistic projectiles (leading shots)". Br spread is a completely different thing.

In that ^ poll, I'd still vote Hitscan. Being a mostly online player, hitscan is just far more consistent when dealing with online gaming lagg. Maybe ill change that answer once i know for sure how good dedicate servers can be for Halo. But for now, Hitscan all the way.

• Upvote (+1) 6

on lan leading because latency won't have a noticeable effect on how much you need to lead because the latency is so low.

online play how ever i have to side with hitscan because latency causes bullet travel to be highly inconsistent and cause a tone of bloodshots.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Youre asking a question about three different characteristics:

Spread vs Accurate

Projectile vs Hitscan

Burst Fire vs Single shot

Really needs to be broken up. There are separate arguments for each individual part. Which you prefer has more to do with what game you enjoyed the most or started playing competitively more than people care to admit. I feel that there are objectively better things about each though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I assume this is a question about bullet travel time versus instant hit. In which case I think I am leaning towards travel time.

However I don't think projectile physics were very intuitive in Halo 3 or CE. The projectile speed kind of sits in the uncanny valley between hit scan and projectile and a lot of people can mistake it for lag. The solution I think is tracer rounds. Such as that as in Destiny. Tracer rounds I think are good from a target acquisition perspective anyway so I think its all round a good thing.

343 will have to be careful to avoid the varying lead angles based upon lag glitch, and blood shots. But I believe this can be avoided simply through the net code communication order. And they will have to optimist tracking prioritization and update intervals to maintain 1080p 60fps. A 3 burst fast projectile BR is much easier to account for than a slow projectile automatic plasma rifle so I think it should be fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yea because you have ppl in here actually saying they enjoy spread...and I don't think they know what they are talking about...they are confusing it with leading, when it's not the same thing....no one who enjoys competitive halo should enjoy bullet spread, no one.

I prefer spread because it makes more sense as to what would actually happen. Leading your shots means that you put the cursor slightly to the right of an enemy's head and when you shoot, all 3 hit in the same place on the head, correct? I don't want that. I want each shot independent of the other. I know what I said I preferred. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I prefer spread because it makes more sense as to what would actually happen. Leading your shots means that you put the cursor slightly to the right of an enemy's head and when you shoot, all 3 hit in the same place on the head, correct? I don't want that. I want each shot independent of the other. I know what I said I preferred. 

WTF....

lemme get this straight....you want a gun...that has spread...so if you lead...the bullets may not hit your target? jesus fuckin christ....wow....

you want a gun....that just randomly chooses where the 3 bullets go when you shoot...a gun that maqy choose all 3 bullets to go away from your intended target...

this might be the most outrageous thing i've read on a halo forum....but more power to you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Upvote (+1) 1

WTF....

lemme get this straight....you want a gun...that has spread...so if you lead...the bullets may not hit your target? jesus fuckin christ....wow....

you want a gun....that just randomly chooses where the 3 bullets go when you shoot...a gun that maqy choose all 3 bullets to go away from your intended target...

this might be the most outrageous thing i've read on a halo forum....but more power to you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yup.

...Yup.

Yup.

...Yup.

halo 3 fucked your head up...completely bro...again, more power to you...enjoy