Tribal

Halo: Reach vs Halo 4 Poll

Halo: Reach vs. Halo 4  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which game was better overall?

If we're talking about competitive settings, then Reach by far.

If we're talking about the rest of the game, I still prefer Reach. I had more friends who played Reach as opposed to Halo 4. I think Reach's campaign is better, firefight was better then spartan ops imo and it wasn't much but the start of Reach had everyone playing arena because it was fun to fight for the top rank, even though it wasn't THAT hard to get. What did you have to play for in Halo 4?

Campaign is actually the one and only thing where I would take Halo 4 over Reach. Reach's campaign is so incredibly dull.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Campaign is actually the one and only thing where I would take Halo 4 over Reach. Reach's campaign is so incredibly dull.

Wat????

Reach drew you into the emotional bonds of the team better than any other campaign. It was the best story told. May not be enough action pack, I can agree. But it was overall better than any other title.

I made a comment to this point some time back. They made v7 after six tries to get it right then they tossed all that work down the drain. I mean where did the learning curve go?

v7 means version 7 of MLG's tournament gametypes. 343 had nothing to do with v1-6. All they did was patch Reach to allow no bloom, and MLG ran with it and made v7.

To their credit, they did put in stopping power and bleed through in H4, and none of the weapons needed to be paced much for bloom, so they did improve some things from Reach.

I'm telling you guys, if you think vanilla Reach is better, play an hour of H4 Rumble Pit, and then play an hour of Reach Rumble Pit. H4 absolutely destroys it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not a huge campaign fan to begin with, but Halo 4's is the only one I've played just once over and that's it, didn't have fun with it and that's the one campaign that I thought was dull. I also actually enjoyed some of the challenges in Reach for campaign, so that might of scored it some bonus points =p.

Wat????

Reach drew you into the emotional bonds of the team better than any other campaign. It was the best story told. May not be enough action pack, I can agree. But it was overall better than any other title.

I don't care about the emotional bonds of Noble Team. If I cared about story, I'd go watch a movie. Reach's campaign had easily the blandest, most monotonous combat of the franchise thus far, and the drab visuals make things even worse. It's extremely boring to watch and play.

I felt like it wasn't very good at all at getting the player to connect with Noble team. None of them had much personality, except Jorge, who was basically the 'gentle giant' archetype. It is very hard to describe each member with more than 1 word because each of them are assigned only a single identifiable trait, Jorge being the exception. Kat - smart, Emile - tough, Carter - leader, Jun - ?Russian?.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe Kat's character was written to be smart, but her in-game AI was atrocious to the point where it had to be intentional. Oh, and she died from being an idiot, too. LOL HALMETZ WHO WEARS HALMETZ RITE GUIZE?

Jun is a smug dickweed who would always open fire and wake everyone up when I'd try to go stealth in Nightfall. Bungie's failsafe to make sure the campaign never got too interesting, I guess.

Even assuming we're using the default, non TU not ZBNS Reach settings it's still better than H4 currently.  In Reach team slayer you get AAs and there is bloom and there are lots of good maps, but in H4 you get ordnance drops, random weapons spawns, default sprint, then AAs, descope, bloom on some weapons, the flagnum in flag gametpyes, loadouts, mediocre to awful maps, and a fucked up spawn system

I have things I enjoy in both.

Halo Reach, for Multiplayer, mostly Invasion, SWAT, and Forge World. What I don't like? Jorge, Carter, and (by default) B312 are the least cliche characters of the bunch. I wanted to punch Jun.

Halo 4, DLC maps are good if you can avoid the monstrosity, Complex, I found the Campaign epic. Almost Tolkien. What I don't like? Join In Progress in the antiquated form, unbalanced loadouts, Complex although I already said that, broken lighting making things look almost gaudy.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Wat????

Ide say ODST had the best campaign. Reach felt like a really corny, clichéd story.

• Upvote (+1) 1

vanilla reach, I know the gameplay is objectively worse but the game felt more complete to me, h4 always felt half assed so it's gettin my vote.

edit; thinking back on it, simply the fact I can get de-scoped makes vanilla reach more fun to play than h4, 4s br is just so unsatisfying. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Both were bad and good, but in different ways.

In terms of the campaign, both did terribly. Reach's campaign had both a bad story and bad gameplay. The story was less about the fall of Reach, and more about what country backroad Noble Team was taking. There were no large battles (the Halo 3 double Scarab battle has yet to be topped, and that's kind of sad). They made no use of the squad system (allies in Reach were almost totally useless) and scrapped Halo 3's excellent "Revive" mechanic for important main characters (which I guess is why they had to make Noble Team total dummies; they had to compensate somehow). They did almost nothing of significance except deliver the Cortana fragment. The characters of Noble Team were living cliches (I only cared a little after an intelligent B.Net user did an interesting "profile" of Kat and Emile) and their deaths were not very memorable. Even though the story conflicts with the books, the events that happened in Reach are so unimportant it limits how "bad" the story can be, in the sense that it doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the other games.

Halo 4's campaign had good, well done gameplay...and then a chain of events some might dare to call a "story" or "plot". There are decent battles, the Prometheans are a challenge (if not a little repetitive), the AI aren't TOTALLY INCOMPETENT and aside from the Mammoth level being totally broken, I actually enjoyed the gameplay. In contrast, the story is the worst one to ever sport the "Halo" brand and whoever wrote it should be reassigned to any position they choose, so long as they do not get to touch a pencil, pen, or word processor. All the art/lore discrepancies:  Master Chief's new armor (lolnanobots), the total facial restructuring of Jackals, and the Infinity, which will feel out of place in no matter how many explanations it is given. Master Chief being the "chosen one", the entire relationship between MC and Cortana feeling like fanfiction written by a horny 15 year old boy, Cortana's art being drawn by hornier 12 year old boy, trying to make Master Chief anything but a "slate" character, the Didact being designed by a Harry Potter fan, any character designed by 343 being either incredibly annoying (Del Rio, Sarah Palmer) or being entirely pointless yet having a gigantic plot shield (anybody in Spartan Ops, ect.), the poor integration of the Multiplayer/Singleplayer universes, Spartan IV's having almost no point in the main story except to integrate said singleplayer/multiplayer universes, the fact that you had to read books to even begin to understand the significance of the Didact...and that's just scratching the surface.

In terms of "co-op" modes, Reach's Firefight was burdened by bad AI, and the enhanced customization was a double edged blade; while the experience could be enhanced, the number of official "joke" Firefight modes choked out ones actually based on survival in MM. Outside of that "customization", ODST's Firefight is better in every single way.

lolSpartanOps. That is all.

In terms of multiplayer, pre-ZB Reach is the worst multiplayer version of Halo to date. However, bloom and sprint kind of worked in SWAT and Snipers, and Invasion is legitimately the most innovative Halo feature since Halo 2's ability to be played online, and makes the best of Reach's awful mechanics by embracing them and other asymmetrical aspects of Invasion, and puts them in a totally new light by implying that things aren't supposed to be fair and consistent as a foil to Halo's ordinary arena gameplay. Other than that, it was awful and I would be repeating thousands of people before me by elaborating on what's wrong with vanilla Reach, so I won't. Post-patch Reach, however, is a totally different story, and that easily surpasses the best non-modded Halo 4 settings, and imo is at a level that rivals Halo 3.

Same deal with 4; perma-sprint, obnoxious levels of aim-assist, awful power weapons (lolSAW), ordinance stuff, so on and so forth. The difference is that Turbo wasn't even close to the level of improvement the ZB patch was, and didn't fix a lot of issues that are inherent with Halo 4. 

Overall:

Multiplayer: ZB Reach>H4>>>>>>>Big Rigs>>>>>>>Vanilla Reach

Campaign (Story): HR>H4

Campaign (Gameplay): H4>HR

Co-op: HR>H4

Forge: Equal (Halo Reach has precise movement for objects, H4 has Forge Islands. Both have a lot of unique advantages and disadvantages. )

Theater: HR>H4 (Campaign theater)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forge: Equal (Halo Reach has precise movement for objects, H4 has Forge Islands. Both have a lot of unique advantages and disadvantages...

There were only two things of value from forge island. The skybox was a quarter mile high and there was a Myst over the water. That is it. It was deficient in every other way. Only ravine was worse.

A big plus for forge 4 was magnets which was incredibly helpful in forging circular architecture.

Nothing will ever come close to being as bad as Reach at launch.

You will hardly ever hear me say negative things about anything Halo, but Reach was a detriment to the competitive Halo experience until 343 stepped in and fixed it. 

Sundance put it best when he said, "Bungie left us with a game that was a disservice to the Halo franchise."

True true, but MLG actually had Reach on the circuit. 

And guys, most of us played Reach for a year or so. A good amount stuck around for v7 to come out. Reach was not unplayable at launch. H4 was. 

Everything about Reach was terrible.  I at least had fun in Halo 4 in a non halo sense but just as a more casual game.  Also we can credit reach with being the beginning of the end.  If it had been good, we may not be in this hole we are today.

I enjoy playing competitively, so its not even close, Halo: Reach is better in that sense. Reasons? Not to mention all the issues including sprint... WHY DO YOU STAY ZOOMED IN WHEN YOU GET SHOT AND IT JUST MAKES YOUR RETICULE JUMP? It makes challenging even decent snipers literally impossible. 

Inb4 downvotes Halo 4's campaign was better. RIP Cortana :'((((((((((

True true, but MLG actually had Reach on the circuit. 

True true, but MLG actually removed Reach from the circuit.

Round 1: Halo 4 out of the box was better than Halo Reach out of the box

Round 2: Halo Reach's NBNS patch was better than Halo 4's "Turbo" patch

Reach was better overall imo.

However the moral of the story here is that you shouldnt have to patch the hell out of games to make them halfway decent. NBNS on Reach, and the turbo patch on 4 were introduced so late that it honestly didnt matter, the damage had been done.  First impressions are everything for gaming.. and just life in general.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Round 1: Halo 4 out of the box was better than Halo Reach out of the box

Round 2: Halo Reach's NBNS patch was better than Halo 4's "Turbo" patch

Reach was better overall imo.

However the moral of the story here is that you shouldnt have to patch the hell out of games to make them halfway decent. NBNS on Reach, and the turbo patch on 4 were introduced so late that it honestly didnt matter, the damage had been done.  First impressions are everything for gaming.. and just life in general.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say you shouldn't have to patch the hell out of games to make them playable.

Only thing I disagree with is that Reach was better overall, but neither game is worth bragging about. 

True true, but MLG actually removed Reach from the circuit.

I thought they removed it when H4 came out, had one event for H4, then dropped that too. I guess I'm wrong, but I do think it's longer life with MLG says something about it. 

I joined the forums September 1st of this year and I feel like I've read every argument made on this thread at least a dozen times before. This is nothing new hah.

Reach MLG, best Halo you can play on XBL right now. H4, great hit detection... and that's about it.