Moa

If you could change one thing in Halo: CE, what would you?

Well keep in mind that Quake has at least 2 (but more often 3 or more) armors on map that spawn 25 seconds after you pick them up and a mega health pickup that spawns 35 seconds after you pick it up. And these pick ups are there even in 1v1s (duels).

When you play 4v4s (tdm or ctf) all of the maps have at least 4 armors 1 mega health and at least one powerup that spawns every 120 seconds.

My point here is that pickup spawntimes in Quake are a lot lower (besides powerups) and due to the fast movement you can pretty much fight for pickups all the time. The game will not really have long times where nothing will spawn any time soon. Camping is not really an option in the game because you will lose major pickups and your oponent would be able to build up a stack that gives huge advantages in every fight.

The thing is Halo CE is not Quake and I prefer static in CE (also in every Halo as well) as much as I prefer dynamic in Quake.

I think dynamic can work in CE, there just needs to be some adjustments and changes in terms of how long the items run on the timer in relation to the size of the map.  

yea in quake the movement is a lot faster which is why 25/35 seconds work.  and there are maps where mega spawns on a 2 minute timer ala vertical vengeance and that works well too.  

so CE dynamic timers can work, just gotta test and switch things up.  and ce timers are already longer than quake timers in the first place.   

one question is tho how can someone prefer static in CE over dynamic when there isn't a CE to test dynamic in the first place.  i dont think it's ever been tested.  

im not saying i prefer dynamic timers for CE, just want to see how it would play out.  maybe it can be better.  

Thats like me saying i prefer dynamic over static in Quake Live, when i've never played Quake with static timers.   Maybe Quake with static timers would be even better, idk lol.  

It's interesting to me that that some competitive Halo players would want dynamic timers.  The only Halo that used that was Halo 2, but I believe MLG would have used a drop-spawn method to make static timers if forge existed in that game.

What one thing would I change about CE? Dirty disc error. Some days that little problem seemed to occur more than others and it was always so annoying.

It's interesting to me that that some competitive Halo players would want dynamic timers.  The only Halo that used that was Halo 2, but I believe MLG would have used a drop-spawn method to make static timers if forge existed in that game.

What one thing would I change about CE? Dirty disc error. Some days that little problem seemed to occur more than others and it was always so annoying.

I think most are talking about quakes version versus halo 2's version. I'd be interested in trying out quakes timers in Halo CE just to see what it does to gameplay. People who time and are in a disadvantageous spot have the ability to contest the next cycle from multiple points. Adding in this element in my opinion would create a lot of power for the team that's already in control, and make it very difficult for the losing team to regain control.

Quake at least has an in-game clock so I can instantly do the math when I see an opponent grabs an armor or health. No in game clock would make the timing for the losing team a pain the ass.

I would change instaspawning after the game is over so that I can have the other team suck my glorious balls

• Upvote (+1) 8

As others have said, remove the jump delay. and maybe increase the weapon swap speed.

And whoever said we should add bullet drop.... this aint battlefield bro.  We play halo to avoid that kind of shit.  just stop it

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pistol is OP. I'd probably make it a 7sk.

the king of the scrubs has spoken

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Spartans breaking out in spontaneous dance post-game.

Videos of Mila Kunis and Rainn Wilson having sex after getting a perfection.

• Downvote (-1) 1

What if you spawned with Pistol in hand instead of AR? Would this help/hurt game play?

I personally like listening for the switch to see if I can hone in on where someone spawns. 

static requires less thinking. quake requires a lot of timing skill, multiple items, and it all resets when you allow your opponent to get the items.

dynamic wouldnt hurt halo, it would just make it more challenging.

static requires less thinking. quake requires a lot of timing skill, multiple items, and it all resets when you allow your opponent to get the items.

dynamic wouldnt hurt halo, it would just make it more challenging.

I always read you name as TUPAVOR, and then correct myself after when I see your avy.

What if you spawned with Pistol in hand instead of AR? Would this help/hurt game play?

For 2s it absolutely would hurt it, players having that small window of being defenseless is critical to allowing the controlling team to punish players for death/ bad spawning. For 4s i would say players should not even spawn with an ar therefore decreasing the defenseless window and decreasing the weapon clutter on the ground. (Im not a big fan of find the needle in the haystack once someone dies with rockets.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

No one is mentioning how quake is played 1v1 and CE is played 2v2. In quake, the dynamic timers and different spawn times will cause the items to spawn in sequence rather than all at once. This is good in a 1v1 bc it focuses the battle to specific areas at certain times. If everything spawned static, there would be times where players could earn uncontested items just because 2 or 3 things are spawning at once. It would spread the game out too thin, and it'd be a coin flip as to which one your opponent will go for.

This isn't the case in CE. It's 2v2 nature allows for at least 2 of the 3 major items to be relatively contested every time. The action doesn't need to be funneled like it does in Quake. Also, the static timers create both a fair chance for the losing team every minute, and an interesting meta for the battle over items. This wouldn't happen in Quake because you would just take whatever item your opponent wasn't going for. It's why Chill Out isn't that great of a 1v1 map. However, if you put dynamic timers on Chill Out, it would play 1v1 a lot better.

• Upvote (+1) 4

No one is mentioning how quake is played 1v1 and CE is played 2v2. In quake, the dynamic timers and different spawn times will cause the items to spawn in sequence rather than all at once. This is good in a 1v1 bc it focuses the battle to specific areas at certain times. If everything spawned static, there would be times where players could earn uncontested items just because 2 or 3 things are spawning at once. It would spread the game out too thin, and it'd be a coin flip as to which one your opponent will go for.

This isn't the case in CE. It's 2v2 nature allows for at least 2 of the 3 major items to be relatively contested every time. The action doesn't need to be funneled like it does in Quake. Also, the static timers create both a fair chance for the losing team every minute, and an interesting meta for the battle over items. This wouldn't happen in Quake because you would just take whatever item your opponent wasn't going for. It's why Chill Out isn't that great of a 1v1 map. However, if you put dynamic timers on Chill Out, it would play 1v1 a lot better.

quake 2v2 and 4v4s work well with dynamic timers.  tdm is still being played (in competitions) by europeans on esreality to this day.  the quakecon tournament this year is 2/3rds 4v4 and there is less emphasis on duel.  

ya im not saying slapping on dynamic to the current CE would work 100%, other things would need to be tweaked.  But just like everything else, it would be interesting to see how a CE with tweaked settings would work with dynamic timers.  Never seen it played out.  cant count it out based on speculation

• Upvote (+1) 1

quake 2v2 and 4v4s work well with dynamic timers. tdm is still being played (in competitions) by europeans on esreality to this day. the quakecon tournament this year is 2/3rds 4v4 and there is less emphasis on duel.

ya im not saying slapping on dynamic to the current CE would work 100%, other things would need to be tweaked. But just like everything else, it would be interesting to see how a CE with tweaked settings would work with dynamic timers. Never seen it played out. cant count it out based on speculation

Yes, of course dynamic timers CAN work in 4v4. We saw this with the powerups in every game since H2. But even that one item often becomes a snowball effect for the controlling team when only they know the exact time. If you applied that to every power item on the map, I think you'd see a lot less close games and a lot more slippery slope blowouts, particularly in MM where top teams aren't playing each other. And like someone said, Quake items make a distinct sound that alerts everyone when they have been picked up, whereas CE items' spawn time would become increasingly unknown for the losing team as the game wore on.

CE has a pretty large degree of slippery slope as it is. Static timers is the best tool for alleviating that. Dynamic timers in CE would certainly exacerbate it. I for one like that every minute is somewhat of a fair chance for both teams. Think about how many CE games are lopsided as it is. Close games would be even more rare with dynamic timers. Technically it would widen the skill gap, but this is one instance where I feel it would be detrimental to the game. @@chaosTheory, I'd love to hear you weigh in on this.

Yes, of course dynamic timers CAN work in 4v4. We saw this with the powerups in every game since H2. But even that one item often becomes a snowball effect for the controlling team when only they know the exact time. If you applied that to every power item on the map, I think you'd see a lot less close games and a lot more slippery slope blowouts, particularly in MM where top teams aren't playing each other. And like someone said, Quake items make a distinct sound that alerts everyone when they have been picked up, whereas CE items' spawn time would become increasingly unknown for the losing team as the game wore on.

CE has a pretty large degree of slippery slope as it is. Static timers is the best tool for alleviating that. Dynamic timers in CE would certainly exacerbate it. I for one like that every minute is somewhat of a fair chance for both teams. Think about how many CE games are lopsided as it is. Close games would be even more rare with dynamic timers. Technically it would widen the skill gap, but this is one instance where I feel it would be detrimental to the game. @@chaosTheory, I'd love to hear you weigh in on this.

ya thats why i said you cant have it work with how ce is now.  things need to be worked around and tweaked to suite it. like having distinct sounds when an item is picked up.  what im saying is it can work, we dont know how well it can work with tweaks since its never been done.  its weird to just call it off like "nope it just wouldnt work at all with ce" we really dont know.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

ya thats why i said you cant have it work with how ce is now. things need to be worked around and tweaked to suite it. like having distinct sounds when an item is picked up. what im saying is it can work, we dont know how well it can work with tweaks since its never been done. its weird to just call it off like "nope it just wouldnt work at all with ce" we really dont know.

I'm not trying to write off the discussion. I'm curious to see how it would work too. I just don't think it would work well and I'm explaining why I think that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not trying to write off the discussion. I'm curious to see how it would work too. I just don't think it would work well and I'm explaining why I think that.

ok i see.  sorry for being a little ignorant to your point.  

Well check bungies take on the H2 pistol :kappa::weback:

Bungie gave us dat 1.5c Pistol...

1.5 clips.... lmao