Moa

If you could change one thing in Halo: CE, what would you?

An easy enough way to think about it is, if you do less than half damage to an opponent and he dies, you get the assist. If you do more than half damage to an opponent and then he dies, you don't get the assist. I one time did all the factors, and I forget the results, but using a TsK as a starting point:

I shoot him once and you shoot him twice to finish the kill = assist for me

I shoot him twice and you shoot him once to finish the kill = no assist for me

• Upvote (+1) 4

Up the DPS on the AR just a tad.

Or make the Needler useful somehow. I guess the projectiles could move faster or something, but strafing that shit is easy.

You don't like the football field radius for flag auto pickup?

Best is throwing balls at people. Here hold this.

• Upvote (+1) 4

weapon spawn times changed to halo 2's time of drop, or at the very least h3 time of pickup.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 14

For the assist mechanism: the only guaranteed way to get an assist is to hurt someone with a single attack. A single pistol shot, a single melee, a single grenade. Do any more than that and it breaks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

weapon spawn times changed to halo 2's time of drop, or at the very least h3 time of pickup.

is this a joke or are you out ya mind? 

• Upvote (+1) 6

For the assist mechanism: the only guaranteed way to get an assist is to hurt someone with a single attack. A single pistol shot, a single melee, a single grenade. Do any more than that and it breaks.

I remember there being additional variables too. Like, I could grenade or shoot you and take away health, then your shield recharges and someone else kills you, I'd still get the assist. Something weird like that. I was playing around with all the ways regarding shield recharge and I finally said fuck it.

I remember there being additional variables too. Like, I could grenade or shoot you and take away health, then your shield recharges and someone else kills you, I'd still get the assist. Something weird like that. I was playing around with all the ways regarding shield recharge and I finally said fuck it.

There's definitely something to that. Sometimes if you grenade yourself and later get back meleed by your teammate (back at full shields), you'll end up with a suicide rather than a betrayal.

I believe the game you all are describing already exists, its called halo reach. Please stop.

is this a joke or are you out ya mind? 

I've never liked the idea of a 30 second or 1 minute fixed spawn for a power weapon. I've always felt it was one of the VERY FEW small details that reduced depth of team vs. team dynamics in CE (in a very small manner). I think it requires more awareness on the player and teams part when weapons aren't coming up at the exact same time, every time, every game. I always felt dynamic weapon drops in the latter titles was something that grew to be unique about halo as an arena style shooter and something that set it apart from other popular arena titles.

I enjoy seeing battles for power weapons in CE and latter halos, i just prefer the effect of the latter titles.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I've never liked the idea of a 30 second or 1 minute fixed spawn for a power weapon. I've always felt it was one of the VERY FEW small details that reduced depth of team vs. team dynamics in CE (in a very small manner). I think it requires more awareness on the player and teams part when weapons aren't coming up at the exact same time, every time, every game. I always felt dynamic weapon drops in the latter titles was something that grew to be unique about halo as an arena style shooter and something that set it apart from other popular arena titles.

I enjoy seeing battles for power weapons in CE and latter halos, i just prefer the effect of the latter titles.

Except when you have no idea when a power item is coming up, you can't make a push.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can understand liking dynamic powerups, but H2's weapon spawn system was utter garbage.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No its not unique, Quakes powerup spawns have always been like that the difference is you can hear when someone picks them up from quite a distance plus they spawn at really quick intervals (25 seconds for armor 35 for mega health). There is a difference between a player needing to be good to pickup on powerup times and it just being impossible if a team made the effort to hide it. The part i bolded is what really confused me, power items have a very small impact over the outcome of a game relative to halo 1 in later halos how is that a good thing? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Except when you have no idea when a power item is coming up, you can't make a push.

I mean... this is kind of the "checkmate" to that argument.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I respect the CE faithful's approach to combat any possible alteration to their first love (Much as i would do with halo 2)... but we have opposing opinions for the same reasons, and i'm not going to stop believing that dynamic drops would actually add something to the game.

I respect the CE faithful's approach to combat any possible alteration to their first love (Much as i would do with halo 2)... but we have opposing opinions for the same reasons, and i'm not going to stop believing that dynamic drops would actually add something to the game.

Adding "dynamic" drops would completely change the game. No map would play the same, it would just turn into Halo 2/3/R/4's style of "distract 'n flank". Static times for power ups and power weapons is why Halo 1 (especially in 2's) has a reason to move around the map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone explain the crouch nade glitch to me?  Also, how was the assist stat broken?

When you're crouched and throw a nade, you stay crouched for like a half second. Can be very frustrating when in a fight. Doesn't happen often though, I'd say its only happened to me a handful of times in the past decade.

The assists statistic doesn't work the same way as other Halo's. Its a mystery to me, I gave up worrying about it long ago. 

Should also add that, on your screen when you're stuck in crouch for that half a second, you're character model is actually standing up.

Took me a while to find that out, and explained plenty of frustrating "how the fuck did he hit me?" moments.

• Upvote (+1) 2

in halo 3, reach, and 4, the competitive community purposely made it so you couldn't control the weapon spawns like that because of reasons stated on this thread on others. I like halo 2's mechanics in quake, but quake is a 1v1 game and it also plays tons faster than halo 2.

and there are lots of people who would say the only thing wrong with halo 2 is the weapon spawn system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was gonna say, the only Halo game with truly dynamic weapon spawns was Halo 2.

Although you could of course dirty weapons in H3 by exploiting the drop spawn system, picking the weapon up before it had time to settle. I don't really count that as dynamic spawning since it requires specific circumstances.

IIRC you could also prevent a sniper from respawning entirely if you picked it up as ammo.

I'd change the Pistol from a 5SK to a 6SK to the body. That would make turning on an opponent while down a shot much more viable and also help in 1v2 scenarios. If you get into a true 1v2 where you each see eachother at the same time, now at least one of them has to 3-shot in order to beat you, otherwise you can actually score a kill and get out alive.

Eg: you 3-shot one of them before that player can land their 3rd shot, and then the other player lands their 3rd shot to the body, you now survive (5 shots taken) and can live on. With 5SK, you'd simply die. I find that the 5SK to the body makes it incredibly difficult to win a true 1v2 against any half-decent players because that 1 less shot they need is so crucial. As the lone player, you're never going to win a 1v2 by going for bodyshots regardless of 5/6SK, so the extra shot to the body to kill doesn't affect the lone player at all, whereas it's quite a big deal for the 2 players. Making the individual more powerful and reducing the emphasis on team-shooting is a good thing in my book.

I'd also remove the jump delay. Jumping in a firefight is an inherent risk, the delay makes it so that jumping is dubious and hence gives players fewer viable ways of out-maneuvering their opponents.

definitely set the bullet spread to 0, and then maybe as an additional test the magnetism to 0 just to test how it plays out especially on longrange maps :)