Moa

If you could change one thing in Halo: CE, what would you?

All of this and

Pistol:

Reduce bullet/reticle magnetism (I honestly don't know the difference)

Increase bullet speed by 30-50%

Decrease reticle size

Sniper:

Give it just a little bit of magnetism, just a little to make it a tad more effective. Like seriously, not that much.

Increase its bullet speed so it is significantly greater than the pistol's, for lore and effectiveness

More maps like dammy, chill out, priz. Halo ce 1.5 maps?

All weapons receive some kind of bonus from hitting the head

Add a gravity effect for bullets, so they travel on an arc; greater skill curve for long range fights

Spawn with 2 nades, can hold 4

frags can hit you and not take all your sheilds

Removal of infinite ammo glitch

I'd rather have BXB than BLB

I don't care much for backpack relaods either, because to me, it hinders my suspension of disbelief.

I think it would be better if quick camo was activated by meleeing with any non-scope weapon, rather than after firing a shot

Buff the AR to the point where it is a more legitimate new player option, mostly buff its accuracy and bloom mechanics

reduce shotgun's magazine to 6 or 8, and make it have a tighter spread, capable of longer range kills if a headshot is landed

secondary weapon on character models back

hold x to enter vehicles

I disagree with altering the mechanics of the pistol and sniper, especially bullet drop.

Bullet magnetism curves the bullet to hit the target; reticle magnetism can use friction (slows down aiming input when reticle is red) or snapping (forcefully adjusting the angle).

BLB and BXB would be similar in H1 since unless you claw you need to take your thumb off the stick, but BLB is more risky because you can die from the grenade.

Similarly, shooting a nonscoping weapon is better than just meleeing because it tells the opponent that you have cloak. Risk vs reward.

I would eliminate the pistol's spread completely. I would also eliminate the Needler so we wouldn't have to say "except the Needler.". There was one more thing I haven't seen here, but I can't remember it.

I disagree with altering the mechanics of the pistol and sniper, especially bullet drop.

Bullet magnetism curves the bullet to hit the target; reticle magnetism can use friction (slows down aiming input when reticle is red) or snapping (forcefully adjusting the angle).

BLB and BXB would be similar in H1 since unless you claw you need to take your thumb off the stick, but BLB is more risky because you can die from the grenade.

Similarly, shooting a nonscoping weapon is better than just meleeing because it tells the opponent that you have cloak. Risk vs reward.

I would eliminate the pistol's spread completely. I would also eliminate the Needler so we wouldn't have to say "except the Needler.". There was one more thing I haven't seen here, but I can't remember it.

Why "especially" bullet drop? Gravity could be a great way to add depth to an already deep metagame, especially given the way that weapons operate in CE: they are projectiles.

Bullet magnetism in CE is pretty high, but its not always a sure thing at long range when strafe is factored in. Combine this with the fact that the Pistol's reticle is rather large, player models are rather small, and ranges can get rather long, we get a lot of scenarios where it looks like a player is shooting perfectly, the enemy is entirely inside the reticle, mostly in the middle, but due to long range, slow projectiles, and a kind of ineffective bullet magnetism function, he is missing. 

I've been watching a lot of CE lately, and there is just a whole lot of missing. I think there is a point where people can land shots too easily, like in Halo 2 and halo4 dmr, but man people miss a lot, especially with the pistol and sniper. 

I think that if projectile's speeds are buffed a bit, but bullet magnetism/reticle magnetism decreased, you would have a similar skill gap, but a more viewer-friendly and faster-paced shooting meta.

these are my counter points :)

there are just so many nades in CE, it doesn't need BLB

• Downvote (-1) 1

like threeshotpistol said. completely remove footstep sounds and also remove any sound your character makes for 2seconds off spawn. you shouldn't be able to hear people spawning, much less across the entire map

• Upvote (+1) 1

Considering Halo CE's position, I wouldn't want to change much. Really wouldn't want to touch any weapon performance, since that aspect of the game is well established... Perhaps replace the ladders with grav lifts and fix the jump delay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Add more character development, in some way, to the campaign and fix the splatter problems with the Ghost. Decrease sniper RoF and make the handling of the vehicles more responsive.

180 glitch

Pistol spread

smaller pistol reticle

jump delay

buff the needler so that it actually has a purpose, and let it quick camo

let plasma nades one hit kill if you stand on them, and reduce their fuse time

add insta-splodes with plasmas (personally i think this should be in all Halo games)

on screen timers and score

hold X to pick up objectives

make splatters like other Halo games

buff the warthog's chaingun massively

Sidewinder's base ports would be 2-way

Add theater and forge (Dere rockets, Chiron rockets, Sidewinder port, Rat Race's stupid Camo time, BG and HeH's random powerup, etc)

Fix the player model so that a rocket guy actually appears to be looking at you while jumping

Backwards betrayal penalty

4-box system link limit

More than 2 teams

Add modern gametypes

I could think of more.  The game isn't perfect.  It's just extremely good, and the best we have by a long shot.

All of this!

Add in hijacking vehicles.

Reskin the Pistol as a BR (but keep it the same, it'll appease the legions of BR kids)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Add a timer

Remove aiming glitches (180)

No auto-use on objectives and health packs

Bumper jumper

Better netcode

One other thing would be to improve the sound effects. The pistol and frag/rocket explosions are super flat and low quality - I really liked how CE:A improved on these.

Remove The Library from the game. The worst campaign mission ever made. 

Just my opinion, but The Library > all of ODST.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just one thing? Buff the Needler just so the claim of the weapon sandbox having no dead weight no longer needs that particular disclaimer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why "especially" bullet drop? Gravity could be a great way to add depth to an already deep metagame, especially given the way that weapons operate in CE: they are projectiles.

Bullet magnetism in CE is pretty high, but its not always a sure thing at long range when strafe is factored in. Combine this with the fact that the Pistol's reticle is rather large, player models are rather small, and ranges can get rather long, we get a lot of scenarios where it looks like a player is shooting perfectly, the enemy is entirely inside the reticle, mostly in the middle, but due to long range, slow projectiles, and a kind of ineffective bullet magnetism function, he is missing. 

I've been watching a lot of CE lately, and there is just a whole lot of missing. I think there is a point where people can land shots too easily, like in Halo 2 and halo4 dmr, but man people miss a lot, especially with the pistol and sniper. 

I think that if projectile's speeds are buffed a bit, but bullet magnetism/reticle magnetism decreased, you would have a similar skill gap, but a more viewer-friendly and faster-paced shooting meta.

Bullet drop could have unforeseen effects in addition to alienating most of the Halo community, even those who play H1 and understand the merits of skillful mechanics.  For instance, it could make the high ground even more difficult to counter.  The high ground advantage already includes peak shooting and a lesser vulnerability to grenades; it is paramount in light of H1's philosophy of opportunistic counters to maintain a balance of advantages and not get carried away.

In your second paragraph, you described a player who was not leading his shots effectively.  It could have been your girlfriend or it could have been Ogre 2--the game should not forgive mistakes, especially when forgiveness compromises such a perfect range inhibitor as travel time.  I will however concede that the reticle could be smaller.

I don't know about you, but I love watching players miss shots with powerful weapons, even more when they are professionals.  At the end of the day, the most exciting part of a first person shooter is, for me, the shooting.  If the shooting isn't exciting, neither is the game.

As for the BLB vs BXB argument, I believe that something as powerful as an instant kill should have a lot of risk.  If you mess up the BXB, you could get killed by the other player.  If you mess up the BLB, the same could happen, or you could kill yourself with the grenade.  I also think it's good that you need to give up something in order to perform an instant kill.

People missing has alot more to do with the players in the videos your watching having very good movement that stretches beyond your standard strafe back and forth along with positioning themselves so that unless they are about to enter a battle that is very in their favor they can retreat.

@bold 

I really cannot believe you said that, creating a skillful game should be the first priority followed by making it viewer friendly. 

Remove host advantage/code the multiplayer connection better.

Not sure if that goes against the spirit of the OP question, but it's really the largest issue with CE and the most important change to make.

This thread is making me very, very sad. 

I understand fixing the 180 glitch and maybe (big maybe) altering a few weapon/nade/player spawns but that is about it (and the only reason I'm deferring that is because Patch has played more CE than I could dream of playing so I trust his opinion). Fucking with magnetism, aim assist, etc etc is a recipe for disaster. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-Remove Pistol spread.

-Make Pistol Reticule smaller.

-Buff Plasma Grenades so that standing under them kills.

These are the main things I would change if I could change it.

Goddam, the vehicle physics are what make H1 BTB so special and different from the other games - the other team can't blow up your vehicles over and over (I'm looking at you Coag), and vehicles are worth using. Tank splatters are fucking fun - but it doesn't take forever to take out a tank driver as you have the pistol and fucking bomb nades - though the tank is fast. 

Only reason I rank H3 BTB higher is because of extra game modes...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Goddam, the vehicle physics are what make H1 BTB so special and different from the other games

^

It doesn't need realistic splatters, or hijacking, or destructible vehicles.  The vanilla state of vehicles is perfect in my opinion and I would despise any changes to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1