Moa

If you could change one thing in Halo: CE, what would you?

What we are gaining by reducing the power of the rockets.

For one, we gain a means of dealing with rocket campers. I just think that rockets would be a bit less brainless if OS was able to keep it in check.

For one, we gain a means of dealing with rocket campers. I just think that rockets would be a bit less brainless if OS was able to keep it in check.

Assuming rockets are in contestable areas (and they are in CE) then someone certainly wasn't camping to acquire them in the first place.

If they choose to "camp" with them past that then they'll miss out on earning camo, OS, and snipe in the following minute. If they want to move to acquire those items, then they're not really camping now are they. Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The shitty jumping and nuclear bombs that they call grenades.

I can understand why a player coming from a different Halo game would want to change the jumping mechanics of Halo 1 but I don't understand your issue with the grenades in Halo 1. I'm curious what would you change about Halo 1's grenades? IMO grenades are pretty well balanced in Halo 1, I think that the misconception of grenades being OP in Halo 1 comes from people not fully understanding the physics of the grenades. 

Grenades are balanced in Halo 1 because they have to come to a rest before exploding and they can't be air burst. Plasma grenades in Halo 1 are underwhelming as well, they take three seconds to detonate and they don't one-hit players that are directly standing on them.

What also balances out frag grenades in Halo 1 is the fact that depending on the amount of players that there are in a game you will spawn with either more or less grenades to prevent grenade spamming and accidental betrayals. The amount of four players and under everybody in the game will spawn with four frag grenades because there is less players in the game, five to eight players everybody will spawn with two frag grenades to prevent grenade spam, 9 to 16 players everybody in the game will spawn with only one frag grenade to prevent grenade spam.

Before attempting to play Halo 1 I find it important for players to understand and embrace that grenades play a huge role in Halo 1's meta. Any minor change to Halo 1's grenade physics could greatly impact the meta of the game. I'm going to link you to a couple of videos that I suggest that you should watch so you can get a different perspective of Halo 1's grenade mechanics.

BTW the only issue that I have with Halo 1's grenades is the fact that the explosions of grenades can mess with the trajectory of other grenades.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If they choose to "camp" with them past that then they'll miss out on earning camo, OS, and snipe in the following minute. If they want to move to acquire those items, then they're not really camping now are they. Doesn't seem like an issue to me.

Not really true. u just camp with rockets, then poke out once the the timer is coming up on damnation/chillout. or you can be like the illinois crew and camp pink on chillout until rockets are coming up again. You got more than enough approaches out of pink like shotty portal, top Pr ramp, side doors, and snipe bridge. I don't have an issue with it, because you definitely don't want to just go out with rockets when you don't know where the enemy or even if you do they can always kill you while the rocket is traveling and then you lost rockets for 1 kill. The only thing that grinds my gear is when they camp with camo cause then you get those 25minute damnation games.

But camping with rockets isn't all that good when people know you're doing it. You just flush tons of grenades and you'll most likely get them 

• Upvote (+1) 1

BTW the only issue that I have with Halo 1's grenades is the fact that the explosions of grenades can mess with the trajectory of other grenades.

this is actually an important part. It's how you kill campers in pink or ofc get the montage stick. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

this is actually an important part. It's how you kill campers in pink or ofc get the montage stick. 

Yeah I know, just because I personally have an issue with it doesn't mean that I would recommend removing it from the game. I just don't like accidentally betraying my teammate or being accidentally betrayed because of it.

Thats a map design issue, nobody camps with rockets on priz, derelict or hang em high.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Personally I like how there's a hierarchy of powerups/rockets. It further promotes map movement because everyone wants what's best (rockets + camo) and this is reflected in the way the map flows when everyone's paying attention.

I also don't know where you're getting the idea that there's a "rocket campers" problem. If you're not timing it, the people that are timing it will get it, and use it. That's all there is to it, really.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's a good point Cujjer makes. Additionally, since OS is usually placed in a more favorable position than Rockets or Camo, it makes sense that it would be weaker. And I've always thought that it's important for the offense to have an advantage over the defense in order to reward good play, like how in soccer/futbol the size of the goal is balanced so that a striker always has the advantage over the goalkeeper in a no-pressure scenario.

that's how it is currently.

I guess I'm too much of a bk to have hit one. :prayers:

It's a good point Cujjer makes. Additionally, since OS is usually placed in a more favorable position than Rockets or Camo, it makes sense that it would be weaker. And I've always thought that it's important for the offense to have an advantage over the defense in order to reward good play, like how in soccer/futbol the size of the goal is balanced so that a striker always has the advantage over the goalkeeper in a no-pressure scenario.

The OS is inherently offensive though. It's meant to enable an aggressive push, it's not a defensive tool. If anything, the rocket launcher is more defensive, it enables and rewards passive play where you can camp and lock down a portion of the map. The OS often isn't placed in a more favorable location than rockets and it also can't be naded to you so you literally have to put yourself in a vulnerable and predictable spot to get it unlike the launcher.

The OS is inherently offensive though. It's meant to enable an aggressive push, it's not a defensive tool. If anything, the rocket launcher is more defensive, it enables and rewards passive play where you can camp and lock down a portion of the map. The OS often isn't placed in a more favorable location than rockets and it also can't be naded to you so you literally have to put yourself in a vulnerable and predictable spot to get it unlike the launcher.

Again, its a map design issue. Any offensive quality the OS has to offer is overridden by how it is positioned on the map. People 'Camp' with OS both top priz and derelict. The only reason you see aggressive play on chillout and damnation with it is because it is placed in the weakest place on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Again, its a map design issue. Any offensive quality the OS has to offer is overridden by how it is positioned on the map. People 'Camp' with OS both top priz and derelict. The only reason you see aggressive play on chillout and damnation with it is because it is placed in the weakest place on the map.

"OS camping" has counterplay though, as you can burn their OS by just shooting and retreating. There's no equivalent tactic to effectively counter somebody camping with rockets. With OS, the player is incentivized to chase down an opponent to take advantage of the extra shielding while it lasts, whereas with rockets the player is incentivized to play it safe and wait for an easy kill. If OS provided counterplay to rockets, then the rocket guy would like to move to try and prevent the other team from getting it, which improves map flow.

The map design argument is of course valid, but it's not the whole story because some maps simply can't help but make rockets ridiculous due to being room-based or whatever. I have no problems at all with rockets on maps like Hang 'em etc, but it can be pretty obnoxious on maps like Chill Out and Decidia and there's nothing inherently wrong with the design of those maps, it's the fault of the sandbox on that occasion.

Make sniper in snipe room on Damnation spawn less.

Only spawn on your teammate 1 time then get random spawn after that until he dies. The amount of times I spawn with an enemy looking at me is just plain ridiculous. This should limit the snowball effect of Halo 1.

Powerups shouldn't be able to be naded. You should be punished for not getting top control on Damnation and not be able to nade camo.

Nerf the pistol to a 4sk so the weapon sandbox is actually viable

Make the needler a viable weapon and make it so you can quick camo with it

Put the sniper on Hang em High in an actual place that you can get it in game without fucking dieing to anyone from anywhere on the map. I like the sniper placement at shotguns for objectives games. Should be like that all the time, IMO.

Square off camo on Beaver Creek so it cannot become stuck.

Slight buff to the AR so you can beat someone in close range that has a pistol. I think Halo 5 does a really good job of this. Close range weapons should beat mid/long range weapons between players of equal skill in close range. I feel crippled with a weak sidearm like the AR.

Buff the plasma rifle so it actually does damage. Probably the most useless weapon in Halo history, IMO.

Other than that Halo 1 is a great game and has aged quite well. Definitely has a high skill gap

• Downvote (-1) 1

No penalty for holding down trigger to fire

Only spawn on your teammate 1 time then get random spawn after that until he dies. The amount of times I spawn with an enemy looking at me is just plain ridiculous. This should limit the snowball effect of Halo 1.

Powerups shouldn't be able to be naded. You should be punished for not getting top control on Damnation and not be able to nade camo.

Put the sniper on Hang em High in an actual place that you can get it in game without fucking dieing to anyone from anywhere on the map. I like the sniper placement at shotguns for objectives games. Should be like that all the time, IMO.

Slight buff to the AR so you can beat someone in close range that has a pistol. I think Halo 5 does a really good job of this. Close range weapons should beat mid/long range weapons between players of equal skill in close range. I feel crippled with a weak sidearm like the AR.

Buff the plasma rifle so it actually does damage. Probably the most useless weapon in Halo history, IMO.

Other than that Halo 1 is a great game and has aged quite well. Definitely has a high skill gap

I can't tell if you're trolling.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Anything in particular you don't agree with?

Everything.

You're basically trying to make the game hold the player's hand now. I will try to type a response to this when I get home later today

I don't think he's trolling. I used to have a lot of the same complaints before I started getting really nerdy with the game.

Before I begin I gotta say I really don't know you so I'm trying to do this objectively :)

Make sniper in snipe room on Damnation spawn less.

Any reason why? Of all the complaints I've heard about Dammy, too many snipers isn't one of them.

It's understandable to want this if your experience is from solo-queuing in MCC, but if you're playing in a match where everyone is about the same skill level and you all know the spawns, that situation is avoidable.

Why? Something I love about CE is that there aren't that many "static" guaranteed power positions. Sure green is nice but you can take it back if you can grab the camo and rockets. "Dynamic" power positions change depending on what's coming up and ensures map movement. Dammy is already a pretty campy map, I don't even want to think about what it would be like if bottom players were always stuck bottom.

Plus: nade tricks are fun :P

Elaborate? Most of the other weapons still have their uses. CE's never been about a perfectly-balanced matrix and it's the imbalance that sets it apart. Games like Quake and Unreal Tournament have a bunch of viable weapons and that's fine too, but one of the reasons that Halo grabbed me by the balls was because of how satisfying the pistol felt. There are others ways to make other weapons viable besides nerfing the pistol.

Again, if your experience is from MCC, this is understandable because the shotgun and plasma rifle are complete shit. In OG the PR and shotty are viable, and so is the Plasma Pistol (but it's most situational, ex: burning someone's OS).

Not sure about making it viable but I can't argue about making it so you can quick-camo. Seems like an oversight more than a design choice IMO.

Gotta learn to nade the snipe. You can get it from almost anywhere in the map. I kind of like how it's not a huge snipefest. I think by making the sniper more accessible you'd have really flippy-floppy games (more so than they already are, because of all the spawn traps and randoms).

Can't argue with this.

I disagree, same argument I make against nerfing the pistol applies to this.

Again, this is an MCC problem. Plasma Rifle is a real son of a bitch in the original version. It freezes the shit out of you, especially if you're off-host.

Glad you're enjoying yourself. What background do you come from, out of curiosity? Seems like you're just getting into it (no offense meant if you've been playing for awhile, but that last statement makes me think you're just getting started with the best game in series) ;)

• Upvote (+1) 4

Some of these opinions are new to me, and I'd love to hear more/give some of my thoughts. I cut out some stuff I don't specifically care to comment on, hope that's cool.

I don't know if I agree with giving a teammate a random each time after spawning in proximity once. I feel this complicates the spawn system, and one of the things I appreciate about CE is the simplicity on the surface. I think if you're playing against similarly skilled players (ideal circumstance), this wouldn't be an issue. I guess under realistic circumstances of not everybody being on the same page, this is an issue and I can definitely see where you're coming from.

If you couldn't nade powerups, I think it would harm Dammy more than it would help. You can get sniper up top, I've seen people nade rockets, and if you were almost guaranteed camo as well I feel the position would be too powerful to combat.

I kind of like the needler as an embarrassment weapon, but in the grand scheme of things if they could creatively make viable, that's probably for the best.

I half agree with you about the Hang 'em high sniper issue. At a top level I like the fact that you have to sacrifice a grenade to get a sniper rifle, also giving away your position if the other team noticed the sniper go flying. But at a level where people don't know nade tricks, it is completely inaccessible. I don't know what I think.

I feel a buff to the AR would make the shotgun less viable. I notice a lot of people pass over the shotgun anyway, so I don't know how useful the shotgun would be anymore.

Have you played the original CE? In that one, the plasma rifle slows you down when you get shot with it, making turning and movement very slow. I'm not sure if I like having weapons have such a huge impact on movement, but at least in terms of weapon power, I wouldn't say it's most useless.

When Halo 5 kids get greedy.

Pretty sure the Halo 5 kids are playing Halo 5.

It's all the new MCC players that are posting in here, I think. Which is fine, better CE MCC than Halo 5 in my book.

Pretty sure the Halo 5 kids are playing Halo 5.

It's all the new MCC players that are posting in here, I think. Which is fine, better CE MCC than Halo 5 in my book.

What new MCC players?

NOTHING, CE IS PERFECT!!!!.

Am I doing a good impersonation of the Beyond hivemind ???

I am disappointed that you have that impression of many of the posters on here. The suggested changes in this thread are receiving responses that are written by people who have spent a considerable amount of time with the game. I hope that you will get involved with the discussion and converse with an open mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please refrain from name-calling.