Ziethen

Anime & Manga Thread

Sword Art Online was good for 10 episodes. After that, shit hit the fan, plot went to shit, characters started becoming less interesting and it's just another awfully paced anime at the end of the day. Just like Attack on Titans. 

Now, if you guys want some actual good shit, watch them movies by Shinkai, that new one is godlike. That's how you make an anime!

Wait till the alicization arc starts, that's when the plot takes huge improvements (characters development, pace, environments etc.)   :D

DBZ has to have the worst sub of all time. Dubs for shows like One Piece and Fairy Tail are pretty bad. Some are good, but for a long time voice acting for dubs were mostly half assed and terrible. It's starting to get better in the last few years though.

I watch Fairytail in dubs(well I haven't watched it in awhile). I unno, I guess im use it it. I sometimes watch it in subs, but if it gives me the option I'll watch it in dubs most of the time.

Samurai Flamenco is awesome, also need to finish watching the Seitokai OVAs since the second season is finally happening. 

As for subs/dubs, I feel that dubs seem to change some of the context. I'm guessing that some of the translations probably don't sound too great when voiced so they change lines around to make them sound more natural.

Sword Art Online was good for 10 episodes. After that, shit hit the fan, plot went to shit, characters started becoming less interesting and it's just another awfully paced anime at the end of the day. Just like Attack on Titans. 

Now, if you guys want some actual good shit, watch them movies by Shinkai, that new one is godlike. That's how you make an anime!

You talking about 5 cm per second guy, Makoto Shinkai?

He's made some solid movies, he has a good sense for character dev and all his work have these beautiful landscapes that are like a character in themselves. 

Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in our Early days are great watches... less of the action that most people are used to when watching an anime but fantastic storylines.

Some other winners are:

Ergo Proxy

Planetes

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Last Exile

Ghost in the Shell

Black Lagoon

GTO

Welcome to the NHK

Wolfs Rain

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Beck

Sword of the Strangers

High School of the Dead

You talking about 5 cm per second guy, Makoto Shinkai?

He's made some solid movies, he has a good sense for character dev and all his work have these beautiful landscapes that are like a character in themselves.

Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in our Early days are great watches... less of the action that most people are used to when watching an anime but fantastic storylines.

Some other winners are:

Ergo Proxy

Planetes

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Last Exile

Ghost in the Shell

Black Lagoon

GTO

Welcome to the NHK

Wolfs Rain

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Beck

Sword of the Strangers

High School of the Dead

I've seen Welcome to the NHK. Pretty good and a very unusual anime. Heard lots of good things about The Girl Who Lept Through Time, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I've seen Welcome to the NHK. Pretty good and a very unusual anime. Heard lots of good things about The Girl Who Lept Through Time, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I think that's what drew me to it, I'd never quite seen anything like it and it was hilarious.  :)  Girl who Leapt Through Time is a good watch, I just finally watched it a couple months ago, because it kept coming up on peoples top anime lists and I was desperately searching for something new and interesting.

Berserk's returning????????

Sorry, I haven't been on this site in a month. It's supposed to, after Mirua finishes this 6 chapter mini-series called Gigantomkhia that was supposed to be a weekly release, but after the first chapter it went on hiatus. Fuck.

Sorry, I haven't been on this site in a month. It's supposed to, after Mirua finishes this 6 chapter mini-series called Gigantomkhia that was supposed to be a weekly release, but after the first chapter it went on hiatus. Fuck.

Lol how do you even go on hiatus after the first chapter?!? Did they only plan out one chapter?

Lol how do you even go on hiatus after the first chapter?!? Did they only plan out one chapter?

Uhm, well he's already told the exact number of pages it's going to be--240 ish--and knowing Mirua, he does have it planned out, but he probably found something he doesn't like so he's gonna go back and edit it for 15 years till it's perfect. 

WAIT I JUST SEARCHED AND THE 2ND CHAPTER WAS OUT 4 MORE AND THEN BERSERK IS BACK

Uhm, well he's already told the exact number of pages it's going to be--240 ish--and knowing Mirua, he does have it planned out, but he probably found something he doesn't like so he's gonna go back and edit it for 15 years till it's perfect.

WAIT I JUST SEARCHED AND THE 2ND CHAPTER WAS OUT 4 MORE AND THEN BERSERK IS BACK

Yay only 4 more years to go then! Even with it so far away, I'm still hyped for more Berserk
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know about you guys, but I am happy that the intro to One Piece has finally changed. It's been awhile!

Never got into One Piece because most shounen is pretty garbage, but I started Hunter x Hunter last week and oh my god it's one of the best series I've ever watched.

One Piece is worth the time to watch. Also HxH is an awesome anime! Are you watching the 1999 or the 2011 version?

One Piece is worth the time to watch. Also HxH is an awesome anime! Are you watching the 1999 or the 2011 version?

I want to watch One Piece, but there are so many episodes

I'm really late into Naruto, I started when there was already like 250+ episodes of Shippuden. I watche all of Naruto. Such a grind cause I though Naruto was pretty boring when compared to DBZ or just in general. It was kinda worth it though cause Shippuden is pretty good so far.

I also want to watch One Piece. Not really concerned on finishing it or catching up, just looks like a show I can watch slowly.

The only time I will watch subs is if its something I really want to watch.

Attack on Titan is one of those shows.

But I prefer dubs.

and the first 100 are straight garbage.

I don't know about the rest. the comedy really ruins the experience for me. My little brother watches it/reads the manga and tells me its the goat, but nah...

But yeah, hxh 2011 is really good. the earlier one, not so much. it moves a lot slower.

The fighting scenes are still pretty "meh" to me, if the director would have just copied yyh's(same writer) fighting scenes, it'd be goat.

Naruto is pretty boring after so many episodes. the last 100 especially. Shippuden is what it should have been all along (aka naruto should have been written/directed like shippuden).

log horizon is a good "trapped in a video game" anime. Similar to SAO but they are still pretty different. I like LH better.

And I usually watch anime subbed because there is no dubbed available. I prefer dubbed though because I don't have to devote 100% of my time to reading subtitles. I can watch dubbed without paying full attention. Steins gate is one of the animes that starts off rather slow. I watched the first 3 episodes subbed and I just couldn't proceed farther. 3months later I try again but dubbed, and I blast through the entire thing in 3 days.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dubs. If it doesn't have it I don't mind, I enjoy the sound of the Japanese language, just don't like having to read the show. Prefer to just appreciate the animation.

Naruto is pretty boring after so many episodes. the last 100 especially. Shippuden is what it should have been all along (aka naruto should have been written/directed like shippuden).

Yeah Naruto is so boring. Was there hype during Naruto or was it Shippuden that made it hype? Cause Naruto is bunk and I've watched all the episodes so I know it doesn't get any better til Shippuden.

Yeah Naruto is so boring. Was there hype during Naruto or was it Shippuden that made it hype? Cause Naruto is bunk and I've watched all the episodes so I know not doesn't get any better til Shippuden.

well there was some decent hype. It was the next dbz as it was showed on toonami when it aired the saturday night block. It was talked about in my middle school and on the rec sports teams I was on. But after toonami died, I didn't really see it mentioned anywhere except rage comments on youtube videos saying "naruto will beat luffy, goku, superman, etc."

I'm not really the right person to ask though. I live in the middle of nowhere and I didn't start no lifing the internet until late 2009. shippuden is what got me interested in anime though. before that I was all "Dbz or yyh" or bust.

It was easy for me to pick up shippuden b/c i have an amazing memory. i had stopped watching naruto after it stopped airing on toonami, but somehow I caught wind of the shippuden before it made it to the 10 episode mark back in 2007 or something, so it had to have had hype.

also this explains a lot. When I said the "last 100 episodes are ass," I was just repeating what my friends had told me. I had tried watching them as well about 3 times in the middle of nowhere, and they were pretty bad so I just concluded they were right.

Even though it debuted some time after the manga, the anime quickly caught up, since one anime episode usually covers one or two manga chapters. To prevent overlapping, the anime's producers tend to organise content from the manga chapters into long, uneventful sections followed by short bursts of action, sometimes adding filler content in between. By the time the Sasuke Retrieval Arc ended in the anime (episode 135), the series was at a point where it was quickly gaining on the manga. At the conclusion of this arc, the anime immediately switched to anime-only episodes to allow the manga to broaden the gap once more. Most of these episodes are stand-alone stories, with a few being part of arcs that were several episodes long, and lasted for a total of 85 episodes in the first series.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

and the first 100 are straight garbage.

I don't know about the rest. the comedy really ruins the experience for me. My little brother watches it/reads the manga and tells me its the goat, but nah...

I've heard it takes a while for it to get good, but I really don't feel like catching up on 600 episodes.

Also, there is a new filler arc announced for Shippuden that I am kind of excited about 

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-836729/naruto-shippuden-kakashi-shadow-of-the-anbu-black-ops