Animosity

Will the pro circuit be the same as it was?

I've been wondering this basically since MCC was announced, I do plan on competing in the game and putting my absolute best effort into it, I want to be a "name" that kind of guy that walks around at an event and people are like, "oh I've heard of him!" Now obviously that's not easy but it's truly something I am working towards, my question for you guys is how many "known" players or "pro" players are you expecting to return, OR who do you think we will not see at these events?

With all respect to the previous pros of Halo 2 and Halo 3, I was pretty excited knowing that some of them have moved on and will not be competing in the upcoming MCC, NOT because it will make my road easier, but because I want to see new people, I want some kids to show up to the first event MCC that never really had pro points in previous years and just upset a few of the "big named" players.

I know a few Halo turned CoD players are coming back, but what do you guys think the pro circuit will be like?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think MLG-scale tournaments are going to be possible. The community is going to be split up between games too much and it's going to be impossible to field enough players for each game for the payouts to be big enough unless we hold the tournaments in a parking lot with one guy using a Dazzle to capture shit. 

Ergo, I don't think many of the former pros will be competing, but I don't think that many people will be showing up to begin with. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think MLG-scale tournaments are going to be possible. The community is going to be split up between games too much and it's going to be impossible to field enough players for each game for the payouts to be big enough unless we hold the tournaments in a parking lot with one guy using a Dazzle to capture shit. 

Ergo, I don't think many of the former pros will be competing, but I don't think that many people will be showing up to begin with. 

Fair enough, I can see what you're saying and my only real "argument" would be that Sundance tweeted something like "1028 MCC copies should do the trick" back when the collection was announced, but you're right I think the esports community will simply split into whatever game they were best at back in the day. 

Not with MCC, no. Cursed Lemon hit the nail on the head about the community split. However, there will be tournaments, they just won't be 2006-2010 MLG sized ones.

Now, with regards to Halo 5: Guardians, there may potentially be. That's all dependent on what the game turns out to be: more like Halo 1 thru 3, or more like Halo: Reach & Halo 4, or some weird mixture. Who knows.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fair enough, I can see what you're saying and my only real "argument" would be that Sundance tweeted something like "1028 MCC copies should do the trick" back when the collection was announced, but you're right I think the esports community will simply split into whatever game they were best at back in the day.

Yes im not the only one who seen Sundances comment
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Not with MCC, no. Cursed Lemon hit the nail on the head about the community split. However, there will be tournaments, they just won't be 2006-2010 MLG sized ones.

Now, with regards to Halo 5: Guardians, there may potentially be. That's all dependent on what the game turns out to be: more like Halo 1 thru 3, or more like Halo: Reach & Halo 4, or some weird mixture. Who knows.

Very true, and if Halo 5 IS good, could that mean the life of MCC could be short? That'd honestly be really unfortunate. 

Very true, and if Halo 5 IS good, could that mean the life of MCC could be short? That'd honestly be really unfortunate. 

Meh, I don't think H5 (if it's great) will cut the legs off MCC; There will always be an audience for CE and H2C, even if only for customs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MCC is our chance to be Smash.  Host lots of local/regional grassroots tournaments across multiple games to keep the scene alive while people wait for the next big title.

• Upvote (+1) 6

As long as a sizable amount of money is up for grabs, pros will always be around.  I am sure people will come back to compete.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would like it to be big again, and very similar to the way it used to be. If the mainstage for Halo includes sound-proof boxes I'll flip. It ruins the atmosphere. 

I expect a decent amount of pros to be around. A lot of them have moved on, but I think there will be that handful of veterans that everyone respects and looks up to. That'd be cool. 

I also think that when H5 comes out, even if it's a good game, and MLG picks it up, a good amount of people will keep playing MCC. That's only going to be an issue because I feel like those that will stay with MCC would be many of the people that would have been willing to travel to events. 

The idea of the current, newest game being the most exciting can't be highlighted enough. It's the most important thing for dev's and pretty much for tournament leagues as they want to grow their fan base. So no, most likely there won't be anything big for h2 and definitely not ce.

If MCC does HCE and h2 the way they said they will function, then MCC is really about not being forced to play shit halo online anymore and simply choosing to play what you enjoy most. It's about relaxing with friends and competing with ranks online. The reality of competitive halo is that it's always been a pretty terrible life decision to delay education or career ambitious on hold in favor of possibly making a couple hundred bucks every three months playing halo. From a selfish standpoint though, I would love for big halo tournaments to happen again because they're extremely entertaining when it's not hr or h4.

As long as a sizable amount of money is up for grabs, pros will always be around.  I am sure people will come back to compete.

BUT I THINK............

I'd rather have a good, new halo game than be forced to play stuff I've already been playing for years because of 343's incompetence.

No, but seriously... I don't know about a "Pro Circuit", but the tournament scene should do well.  Potentially we have 4 games (Halo: CE, Halo 2 Classic, Halo 3 and Halo 2 Anniversary) that can be played competitively.  Will the community be split between the games they play? YES, 100% it will. The Halo: CE elitist will be playing Halo: CE, Halo 2 kids will be playing Halo 2 and the Halo 3 kids will be playing Halo 3. (You get what I'm saying.)  The thing is the "HALO COMMUNITY" as a whole needs to come together and support the tournaments that are thrown. Either that be by competing or viewing.  If we honestly want to grow as an "esport" this needs to be done.  As of now we have seen 343i and ESL have worked together on pre release events.  We can only hope that they'll be working together on events after the game comes out.  We also have two tournaments that have already been announced IG (Iron Gaming) is holding a tournament December 12th-14th in Columbus, OH. Word on the street is it will be Halo 2 Classic. AND UGC St. Louis on January 2nd-4th, again will be Halo 2 Classic.  We also have interest from UMG. UMG with their online tournaments, wagers matches, and LIVE events could be huge for Halo.  So ideally we have four tournament organizations (ESL, IG, UGC, and UMG) potentially hosting online and LAN events. As for MLG hopping on the Halo train?  I believe they want to, BUT Halo being partnered with twitch and MLG being a direct competitor of twitch, I don't see MLG running tournaments for MCC, or at least it's a VERY SLIM CHANCE. 

I do believe that we will see a solid amount of tournaments being held for Halo MCC.  We may even see a Halo MCC Global Championship. :D

• Upvote (+1) 4

My biggest concern is how MLG would deal with MCC being 4 different games. MLG would be stupid not to run a halo event in my opinion and I know they want to because they love classic Halo, but how they do it is where I have a bit of fear. Personally I see them running it the same way they did the FGC at Anaheim, H2 as the main event and H1 and H3 as smaller side events. Hopefully you will be able to play in all 3 but I don't see that as a priority.

Halo never had twitch/MLG.tv and all the online events between major LAN events to keep the fan-base interested and in touch with the teams during its time on the pro circuit(well it sort of did during Reach...). Just imagine if we had that in H3 for example, and we got to see Str8 Rippin win nationals and then slowly deteriorate,  Walshy getting dropped from FB, the 2010 FB squad formation with Pistola, ect.. there would of been ALOT more interest in the scene from it being readily accessible to fans at virtually all times. I believe the MCC/H5's viewer-ship can smash the old viewer-ship out of the water if we build up the community again, especially if H5 is supposedly being made for competitive play and will have e-sport features.

I could honestly see Twitch having a big deal with halo right now (just look at the two events already for the unreleased game) 

No, but seriously... I don't know about a "Pro Circuit", but the tournament scene should do well.  Potentially we have 4 games (Halo: CE, Halo 2 Classic, Halo 3 and Halo 2 Anniversary) that can be played competitively.  Will the community be split between the games they play? YES, 100% it will. The Halo: CE elitist will be playing Halo: CE, Halo 2 kids will be playing Halo 2 and the Halo 3 kids will be playing Halo 3. (You get what I'm saying.)  The thing is the "HALO COMMUNITY" as a whole needs to come together and support the tournaments that are thrown. Either that be by competing or viewing.  If we honestly want to grow as an "esport" this needs to be done.  As of now we have seen 343i and ESL have worked together on pre release events.  We can only hope that they'll be working together on events after the game comes out.  We also have two tournaments that have already been announced IG (Iron Gaming) is holding a tournament December 12th-14th in Columbus, OH. Word on the street is it will be Halo 2 Classic. AND UGC St. Louis on January 2nd-4th, again will be Halo 2 Classic.  We also have interest from UMG. UMG with their online tournaments, wagers matches, and LIVE events could be huge for Halo.  So ideally we have four tournament organizations (ESL, IG, UGC, and UMG) potentially hosting online and LAN events. As for MLG hopping on the Halo train?  I believe they want to, BUT Halo being partnered with twitch and MLG being a direct competitor of twitch, I don't see MLG running tournaments for MCC, or at least it's a VERY SLIM CHANCE. 

I do believe that we will see a solid amount of tournaments being held for Halo MCC.  We may even see a Halo MCC Global Championship. :D

I like the idea of what you are saying - but I also think it is a good idea to be aware of who was here on day one, and who is jumping in as opportunists in the situation as far as tournament organizers are concerned. Blindly supporting anybody who runs Halo is a dangerous game, and I think we clearly saw that with AGL.

I understand it may have not been viable to run Halo a year ago, but I have to admit it bothers me to see organizations all about Halo all the sudden, when it is clear they are just trying to make a quick buck.  This isnt meant to be an insult to any tournament organizers in any way, and business is business but it is something I have (and I am sure others have noticed) since E3.

I think that 343/ESL is the best bet here though obviously, and I am personally hoping for some type of league or consistent tournaments so we dont have to deal with more amateur hour organizations.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

I really don't think we need MLG to succeed for the time being. MCC is a great opportunity for the community to host smaller scale tournaments, livestream them, and keep the community from going anywhere until Halo 5 is announced. If Halo 5 pleases the audience, there's no reason to think Halo won't be big again, #WeBack, but this year is going to be a year of rebuilding and revitalizing.

Halo will need consistent viewers in order to have any chance on any circuit. 

Once Halo stops being a title that gaming leagues "throw money away" on,, then maybe we will see some success from a competitive standpoint. 

We may see a MCC exhibition tournament, just to show off the new title - but that will prob be it for MLG's sake. 

I can see Halo returning to the Pro Circuit- I honestly believe if the Pro Circuit held events where gameplay was from all 4 halo titles was incorporated, it would make for some wicked tournaments and a good spectator experience. 

This MMC is quite an innovative game release- I have not seen anything like this before- 4 old games that have been revamped available for the price of 1. I think we should utilize all of them to see who is the ULTIMATE HALO TEAM.