Sign in to follow this  
Goat

WIP: Forerunner Arena Map

This is an unfinished map I'd like some feedback on. 

draft

LlT9v1b.jpg

l69lZPb.jpg

overview

6KLClxB.jpg

middle bridge viewed from one base

kAuAvyg.jpg

top mid looking towards the cave
KhCOkqm.jpg

older version of top-mid
cKx2ETs.jpg

view of top-mid from cave balcony
wQbNkRh.jpg

one side spawn looking at top-mid and the path beneath it
UYecrwy.jpg

the tunnel under the bridge with the base door and a jump up visible
ReOX2Jh.jpg

bottom mid with path towards bottom cave
hTvM2vz.jpg

bottom cave tunnel with proposed sniper
DLyvIUk.jpg

cave balcony
TqjGJL5.jpg

cave
0x8dM1U.jpg

side spawn with eventual path into the side of the base
jnH4zqH.jpg

outer tower with path partially built
W5riR53.jpg

This was a 2-8 player slayer and objective map with a promethean/forerunner palette. Its design spanned a year and the aim was to provide both a visually appealing and fast-paced gameplay experience. With the help of forgers @@RipShaDe 41, @@SilentRaine and @@Eshkii, we iterated on the basic design to draw closer to that goal. However, fearing that I'd fall short of that goal, I suspended it. 

Since it's unfinished, you can clearly see various paths missing.  The main layout consists of two overlapping Y paths with intersecting routes that connect the spawn hives and jump ups at the verticies. It's almost taking Halo 3's Narrows and bending it inwards, but here there are more counter sightlines and jumps.

Most of the aesthetics are functioning as cover, callouts, jumps or LOS blockers for spawns, but I made sure not to commit to any of them if it compromised the overall design. Nevertheless, it reached a point where I was unsure if the layout was even going to be good. I didn't feel as though the bases were interesting enough or if there was any particular area I'd want to vie for during Slayer. I also was very conscious of any potential spawning issues.

What do you guys think? Is it worth building for Halo 2 Anniversary, or does the current design need more work?  

• Upvote (+1) 1

At first glance, the map looks sick and should be finished. But one concern is what the changed palette will mean for porting the map (from an aesthetic perspective as opposed to the actual layout).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Agree with both of you. It has been a concern of mine that H2A wouldn't replicate the pale gray and black cleanness. These, along with the orange highlights and angular geometry comprise the Promethean palette, which is as much a part of the design as the layout itself. Although I do think the rocks are more crucial, as they are structural. 

I hope they add onto the palette rather than take away from it. I will be especially sad if extraction cylinders are removed 

WHELP IT'S GONNA BE FINISHED NOW! 

Got a whole bunch of rocks to play around with. Hopefully the next palette is clean. Nothing else stands in my way. 

*evil laugh*

• Upvote (+1) 3

still waiting for your reach invasion map that was supposed to be epic

well....halo 2 anniversary has elites, right?  :halo:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks like we will have the tools and objects needed to create these style of designs after all in H2A, pretty excited to start forging again with this new engine. Have you already purchased a Xbox One Goat?

I will be online later if you want to forge some, I need a break from the hellish grind of Destiny.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks like we will have the tools and objects needed to create these style of designs after all in H2A, pretty excited to start forging again with this new engine. Have you already purchased a Xbox One Goat?

I will be online later if you want to forge some, I need a break from the hellish grind of Destiny.

will be picking one up in the next few weeks. 

ran around some maps last night trying to plan them out in H2A. this one will be a lot easier to make than i thought it would, assuming the pieces look nice. i think it'll play very well too, since i'll have some freedom with the extra terrain pieces. there's another route i wanted to add but i wouldn't have had the pieces in halo 4. 

well....halo 2 anniversary has elites, right? :halo:

Three things missing off the top of my head: Invasion spawning,fire teams,and class based teams.

But we can still make multiple objective campaign style game play with scripting.

On the older pic of top mid from the caves you should keep the top part of how you have the two forerunner dishes stuck to each other instead of having them separate in the new version so just take the older top part and add it to the new version I think thatl stick out more and how you had the rocks author to looked more clean well a opinion I thought I'd just hand out ^-^

On the older pic of top mid from the caves you should keep the top part of how you have the two forerunner dishes stuck to each other instead of having them separate in the new version so just take the older top part and add it to the new version I think thatl stick out more and how you had the rocks author to looked more clean well a opinion I thought I'd just hand out ^-^

yep the tower will most likely undergo some significant changes, mostly depending on the pieces in H2A. the important thing though is that it provides cover for top mid without obstructing the balcony area too much. i opened up the roof of the tower to allow grenade throws through it, and the sides also let players stand on it now compared to the old version. with more rocks at my disposal, i'll be able to ground the tower to the cliff more neatly and in general make it look more badass. 

Just stopping by to give an update before MCC releases. 

I've added a few conceptual pieces to the OP. Going off of the design in H4, I managed to close off the paths and block out the missing areas in Forge. However, when I ran around the design testing the sightlines, I grew disappointed with the layout. 

-I don't really feel like there's an interesting location for players to vie for during slayer. The bridge was supposed to be the main point of contention with other routes offering counter sightlines around it. With the current design, I don't feel like this is accomplished in a meaningful way.

-The map doesn't feel vertical enough to me. Early drafts had more imposing structures over the bridge and the bridge was a great deal smaller. The map will obviously be descaled and I'm sure I can mess with height, but I'm not sure how that will affect the sightlines and jump-ups.

-In keeping with the bridge theme, the map doesn't feel very "bridge-like". Early concepts featured more death pits so perhaps I may have to reintroduce those. I feel like if that theme is lost, there wont be much reason for the bridge to exist in the first place. 

-The angle from the cave balcony to the bridges when you're going up the bridge from the base lobbies feels very awkward. I designed it with this angle in mind, but I'm starting to feel like 45° might be too steep. I've tried various methods of softening this angle, but anything I do feels unnatural or blocks too many sightlines. 

-The bases are too simple and 1-dimensional. Compared to the design of the rest of the map, they feel lazy and don't leave much of an impression (although I did plan a few nice aesthetics to make them visually appealing). I feel like they may also limit my potential to spawn players safely.

-The map lacks memorable gameplay dynamics or encounters.

As most people who are familiar with me know, this is the stage where I often scrap maps. While I could build this verbatim and have it playable in H2A, i'm not comfortable putting out something with a glaring amount of flaws. I'm willing to redesign entire areas of a map while it's in the concept phase, but once it's playable, I want to make sure I have committed to the paths I've already built. 

I have a similar idea gestating in my mind that I'm trying to squeeze out onto paper. I want to go for that cozy 2-3 level feel of Guardian, but at the same time significantly lower the standoffish gameplay that I was never fond of on that map. I want players to constantly vie for a dominant height-advantage, but require them to sit elsewhere on the map to lock down those locations. Lastly, I want these setups to be very deliberately breakable, with its unpredictability relying on the teams' execution. These new goals render the map in the OP obsolete, but expect to see many of the structural, thematic and aesthetic elements carry over. 

Just a few more days!