Sign in to follow this  
Animosity

How important are ranked playlists?

These are the top games viewed on Twitch right now. All the games with red boxes around them have a competitive ranking system.

UzFl5sh.png

Ranks probably have something do with the viewership success in my opinion.

League of Legends didn't have a ranking system at launch.  What it DID have was a matchmaking system that still rated you behind the scenes (like what Bungie -said- Reach did and matched you accordingly.  Riot occasionally would tell players their current ranking and release a list of the top players during beta (I ended at rank #314 and got a special summoner icon for it.) -- but it wasn't for months after release that we actually got a ranked playlist in League of Legends.

• Upvote (+1) 1

League of Legends didn't have a ranking system at launch. What it DID have was a matchmaking system that still rated you behind the scenes (like what Bungie -said- Reach did and matched you accordingly. Riot occasionally would tell players their current ranking and release a list of the top players during beta (I ended at rank #314 and got a special summoner icon for it.) -- but it wasn't for months after release that we actually got a ranked playlist in League of Legends.

Surely adding the ranks increased popularity, still supporting his point?

Been playing Halo 1 for 13 years with no ranks, hows that for longevity? 

That is no indication of population longevity whatsoever.  All it tells us is that you've played Halo 1 for 13 years.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Before you talk about ranks, you need to talk about what its apart of and why its important. That being matchmaking, the matchmaking system as a whole is incredibly important in an online multiplayer game and its highly undervalued by pretty much everyone.

Multiplayer isn't just the main reason the majority of players buy these game, its the bulk of the replay value the game has to offer and where the quality of your gaming experience will take place.

Quality game experience - this is why a good matchmaking system is important. To give the best experience as possible. Providing a quality experience will keep your players engaged with the game, increasing the longevity and popularity of it and making them come back.

A ranking system does help provide a better experience by matching players up with others around their skill level, making the games closer and less of a blow out on either side. But while ranks are important, its less about the visible rank itself but the quality of games they help achieve. Now visible ranks don't hurt anything and there are quite a few players that do like going for them so you should include them. They can also help encourage winning and improving.

Now the ranking system isn't the only thing that goes into a good matchmaking system, it is the biggest single thing but there are a lot of little things and little things add up quickly. Such as party restrictions, playlist searching limits, even to the playlists themselves and their structure, not having JIP in the game ever and the list goes on, these are just ones off the top of my head.

While ranks are important, they're merely one of the many pillars that help hold up the foundation that is an online multiplayer games matchmaking system.

I'm terrible at writing.

League of Legends didn't have a ranking system at launch.  What it DID have was a matchmaking system that still rated you behind the scenes (like what Bungie -said- Reach did and matched you accordingly.  Riot occasionally would tell players their current ranking and release a list of the top players during beta (I ended at rank #314 and got a special summoner icon for it.) -- but it wasn't for months after release that we actually got a ranked playlist in League of Legends.

Reach gave me players that just put the game in for teammates, and for opponents it gave me to4. 

Reach did it I guess, but in a very disturbing/unfair way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If a game needs ranks to keep you entertained then something is wrong. 

I agree, the gameplay itself should be what brings the player back.

Been playing Halo 1 for 13 years with no ranks, hows that for longevity? 

Ranks have more meaning besides longevity.

Ranks mean longevity, respect, and proof of skill.

What I mean by longevity: People will naturally want to increase their level so the ranks will keep them coming back to keep playing.

What I mean by respect: Ranks are hard to achieve, the higher you are, the more respected you are, because you've accomplished something that most people can't.

What I mean by proof of skill: When players who want to know how they stack up against the best, they can compare their rank to the best known players. This simple process of letting a player compare their rank to the best players lets that player know where they stand compared to the world. With that information they can then make decisions that would let them know if they're good enough to go compete at tournaments instead of wasting their money losing because they thought they were good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ranks have the power to turn a casual player into a competitive one(see me in my H2 days, I become obsessed with getting better because my rank said I sucked). It adds value and a measuring stick to improvement.

Real competitive players don't need ranks, this is true. However there is a much larger casual base that we should be aiming to transform. I find Ranks to be the superb catalyst for transforming a casual player into a competitive one.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While the ranking system in the Arena at the start of Halo: Reach did match you accordingly, it was incredibly flawed, hence why it basically didn't exist. To make Onyx for a season in the Arena, you had to average over a 1600 rating every game. Side note, ratings only existed in Slayer gametypes...

The problem with Onyx and making the rating as high as it was is that in order to make Onyx, you basically had to stat whore every game, steal kills, and die as little as possible (not really a problem). Say you had a pretty good game, and went 17-8-11 (+6) in a 4v4, you maaaaaaybe would have gotten over a 1600 rating for that game. I'm pretty sure it was actually impossible any more than two players on the winning team to get above a 1600 rating in a game. In the doubles playlist, which no longer exists, Only one player in the game could get it. If you and your teammate split the kills 13 and 12, neither of you would have done "well enough"

It was just so silly that I got a rank maybe two or three times, then the "Arena" playlists fell apart and as I'm writing this, there is only one Arena playlist. It's 4v4 Slayer, and has 161 players in it right now...  

While the ranking system in the Arena at the start of Halo: Reach did match you accordingly, it was incredibly flawed, hence why it basically didn't exist. To make Onyx for a season in the Arena, you had to average over a 1600 rating every game. Side note, ratings only existed in Slayer gametypes...

The problem with Onyx and making the rating as high as it was is that in order to make Onyx, you basically had to stat whore every game, steal kills, and die as little as possible (not really a problem). Say you had a pretty good game, and went 17-8-11 (+6) in a 4v4, you maaaaaaybe would have gotten over a 1600 rating for that game. I'm pretty sure it was actually impossible any more than two players on the winning team to get above a 1600 rating in a game. In the doubles playlist, which no longer exists, Only one player in the game could get it. If you and your teammate split the kills 13 and 12, neither of you would have done "well enough"

It was just so silly that I got a rank maybe two or three times, then the "Arena" playlists fell apart and as I'm writing this, there is only one Arena playlist. It's 4v4 Slayer, and has 161 players in it right now...

That was for seasons 1-6.

From Season 7 on arena was pure win/loss. Bungie just did a poor job advertising it and the playlist supported bad settings. :(

• Upvote (+1) 2

They are very important in Halo. In Halo Reach and Halo 4 the games just go boring fast because there was nothing to work towards. Also, it separates the good from the bad. Which is nice if you're looking to improve.

Not just Halo - they are important in any competitive game. Look at the top eSports games out there right now: League of Legends, DOTA 2, Counter Strike, StarCraft 2 - what do they all have in common besides massive amounts of eSports features and support? Ranking systems, and pretty damn good ones at that. It's what keeps people coming back to play. It's what gives players that drive to always keep improving. Besides the fact that all those games listed are amazing games to begin with, the ranking systems have had massive impacts on each game, especially Counter Strike which has grown massively in 2014 along with other additions to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yet the most popular Call of Duty game of all time had ranked.

People want ranked. It's the CHOICE people want. I hate it when they take it away.

I was merely pointing out that unless the front of your box art has 'Call of Duty' written on it, your game won't last very long without ranks. Whether the most popular CoD had ranks or not is irrelevant. Which, by the way, how did you come up with BoPs2 being the most popular CoD? It's one of my favorites in the series, but I bet if you asked most of the CoD community they'd say MW2.

If it's unclear, I agree with you tho. Let's steer this back toward Halo tho, I shouldn't have even mentioned that other franchise  :Halo:

That was for seasons 1-6.

From Season 7 on arena was pure win/loss. Bungie just did a poor job advertising it and the playlist supported bad settings. :(

Yay! My stupidity and lack of knowledge only helped further prove a point!

Ranks is what keeps a game alive for more than 1 year. CoD is able to sustain a sizable audience by introducing a new installment every year. A true skill ranking system is what was able to keep Halo 2 and even Halo 3 alive for a 3+ year period. It's a necessity unless you're releasing a game every year or so

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ranks is what keeps a game alive for more than 1 year. CoD is able to sustain a sizable audience by introducing a new installment every year. A true skill ranking system is what was able to keep Halo 2 and even Halo 3 alive for a 3+ year period. It's a necessity unless you're releasing a game every year or so

+rep 

This^

It is the best selling Call of Duty of all time, the most played and has retained the highest population since release.

Developers are finally beginning to understand that the choice between ranked and social is something the player makes, and if you take that choice away people lose interest or get upset.

This conversation is about how important ranks are, so speaking about a competing franchise is perfectly relevant.

Most popular CoD of all time has ranks. Most popular PC game of all time has ranks, most popular Halo of all time has ranks. I base popularity on how well it retains playerbase, not on sales figures by the way, though obviously they matter.

People want ranks.

Nothing more need be said

Ranks are important because it motivates people to play, gives them incentive to play, keeps the games close and competitive, that way nobody [usually] gets absolutely raped. And people can have fun.

When kids on Reach who just bought the game since it became free, search MLG playlist, and match people like myself, they get absolutely destroyed. I mean, sometimes it's fun for me, other times, and most of the time it's just boring as hell and I end up trying to get an 8s lobby going. I imagine also that once they get absolutely destroyed by players way better than them, that it makes them not want to play anymore. And it makes it very, very hard to get better. 

Also teams of four should ONLY match other teams of four, like in Halo 3. That should just never happen, it's not fair what-so-ever. I consider that a part of a "ranking system" to be honest.

Also, join-in-progress should be non-existent when it comes to ranked playlist, because what if I get placed into a game where my team is getting destroyed? I just basically took a Loss on my rank. Which is stupid as hell.

There should also be a seperation between social and ranked playlists, for obvious reasons.

It is the best selling Call of Duty of all time, the most played and has retained the highest population since release. 

Developers are finally beginning to understand that the choice between ranked and social is something the player makes, and if you take that choice away people lose interest or get upset. 

This conversation is about how important ranks are, so speaking about a competing franchise is perfectly relevant.

Most popular CoD of all time has ranks. Most popular PC game of all time has ranks, most popular Halo of all time has ranks. I base popularity on how well it retains playerbase, not on sales figures by the way, though obviously they matter.

People want ranks.

Oh I agree, people want ranks. 

I'd just like to see where you're getting this from.

I honestly never got into the H2 scene early enough, so therefore I didn't know how big rank was then. I wanted to be good at the game and I got my first 50 in TS on my first live account. You get better and better the higher you go. I honestly can look back then and see how better I am now than back then. Legitly getting a 50 meant you tried, and that needed skill. 

Cutting the story short, I believe ranks are important because it signifies the skill you have, your accomplishments for trying.