Nj Pro

LAN on Wheels

LAN on Wheels-I have had this idea for a while. The concept is you provide a venue, we provide a LAN with 8 full setups and host regional tournaments. 

Attached is a spreadsheet that goes over the financials with a very rough estimate. 

2zqekoz.jpg

My question is would you guys attend such events? 

Is 40 too much for a cover?

Again, this is a rough estimate, so feel free to download spreadsheet and play around with the variables- Cover charge, payout, costs. 

But my question again is WOULD U ATTEND an event like this? 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Very interesting concept I've seen before.  I would definitely attend a small event if the game I play was supported (Halo CE and 2 mostly). 

Were you thinking of doing cross-state events as well? If so, that's a pretty hefty variable cost (gas, maintenance, est.). 

Btw props on the spreadsheet! 

Pretty sweet idea man. It would be awesome if you lived in a city big enough to have enough teams for this! I live in a town of about 750,000 people and we used to have huge tournaments for halo, fighting games, and madden. Several hundred people at hotels, and malls out here. Red bull even sponsored a tournament here way back. It seems that scene has died though. We have a very nice lan center that hosts Call of Duty (biggest console shooter ATM) tourneys and only about 20 kids showed up if I remember correctly. That was with a decent amount of advertisement including a spot on the radio.   

Hopefully your tourney scene is better than ours! Your idea could definitely work. 

I swear this has been done before....

So if it has, see if they still exist, if they don't why not? Figure out how they failed and how it can be improved. But for sure I have seen a LAN on Wheels style truck before.

Good luck, could be sweet. I would format it instead of tournaments, more focused on kids birthday parties/special events etc. Tournaments on the side.

I swear this has been done before....

So if it has, see if they still exist, if they don't why not? Figure out how they failed and how it can be improved. But for sure I have seen a LAN on Wheels style truck before.

Good luck, could be sweet. I would format it instead of tournaments, more focused on kids birthday parties/special events etc. Tournaments on the side.

That's such a better target market than competitive gaming LOL. Easier to manage, more profitable, and i can charge up the ass.

I think $500 - $1000 is a fair price- comes with LAN setup, pizza, food, chips, and some BS "chachies."  I may be even able to charge more with a "premium package."- 

$750 is average to spend on a child's birthday for a husband and wife with 100K + income. LINK

There seems to be an interest in young kids playing videogames with parents that have large incomes. 

Great idea my dude. 

Where would you plan on setting up operations?

Are you just a LAN Rental, or is this a RV sort of set up?

Why isn't the vehicle covered in the initial cost outlay?

What really distinguishes you from other LAN options?

How do you plan to market yourself?

How many units will you have? Do customers have to buy the whole package?

Is your # of People column an accurate portrayal of how many you can support? (Looks like only 8 XB1's to me, tad rough for 32 People)

Why aren't you accounting for tax expense?

How do you plan to finance this? Cash on hand or through debt?

I understand this is only a rough estimate, but perhaps taking a harder look at it before pushing forward would be a good idea.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Alright, I just drafted up a pretty extensive Excel Workbook that's broken down over a 24-month timeline, fully furnished with CF's, P&L, and Balance Sheet. I'm not sure how to post it in here though.

For the sake of simplicity, I've modeled Units as single days you're fully booked for the month. To alter the inputs, only change them in the Scenario columns, as to change any values anywhere else in the book will disrupt the entire calculation. To switch between the two scenarios, all you have to do is change cell H 6 on the Input page between 1 or 2.

Also, CoGs should represent your Event Payout as well as Concession (Food and Drink) expenses.

I'll post it when someone explains to me how to upload this darned thing into a thread.

I also don't mind helping you draft up a SWOT and Competitive Forces analysis to help round off your business plan. ;)

Cheers!

I would attend an event if it we're held at a state fair or something. However I would never spend $750 on birthday parties. If that is how America spends its money then no wonder many people near retirement age don't have any savings. Especially for my 1-3 year old who will not remember it. Fuck. I like your idea but that link just blows me away.

Apparently I can't post the Workbook here, but I uploaded it to Google Drive for anyone to be able to view... Careful though, the format wasn't ported too well from Excel and it's now a 100+ page document.

@Nj Pro I can e-mail you the actual file later so you can get a better glance at it.

Any business has hidden costs 

Divide your cost between fixed and variable.

There is a lot of expenses that you haven't included. Insurance (van and liability) - Are you going to incorporate or solo ownership- I don't know if DOT has special permits that regulate what you want to do or if needs a commercial license plate - Advertisement - You will need an accountant to set it correctly -  etc, etc.

Don't kill the messenger but your expense estimates are way of base and to low.

I'm not saying that is impossible but you need to do more research.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright, I just drafted up a pretty extensive Excel Workbook that's broken down over a 24-month timeline, fully furnished with CF's, P&L, and Balance Sheet. I'm not sure how to post it in here though.

For the sake of simplicity, I've modeled Units as single days you're fully booked for the month. To alter the inputs, only change them in the Scenario columns, as to change any values anywhere else in the book will disrupt the entire calculation. To switch between the two scenarios, all you have to do is change cell H 6 on the Input page between 1 or 2.

Also, CoGs should represent your Event Payout as well as Concession (Food and Drink) expenses.

I'll post it when someone explains to me how to upload this darned thing into a thread.

I also don't mind helping you draft up a SWOT and Competitive Forces analysis to help round off your business plan. ;)

Cheers!

Yeah i would love to look at your spreadsheet- As for the 4ps of the marketing aspect, i haven't really took a direction/ looked into it. 

I was planning on servicing the Tri-state area.

Any business has hidden costs 

Divide your cost between fixed and variable.

There is a lot of expenses that you haven't included. Insurance (van and liability) - Are you going to incorporate or solo ownership- I don't know if DOT has special permits that regulate what you want to do or if needs a commercial license plate - Advertisement - You will need an accountant to set it correctly -  etc, etc.

Don't kill the messenger but your expense estimates are way of base and to low.

I'm not saying that is impossible but you need to do more research.

Ya i know there are a large amount of costs missing, it was just a rough estimate.I have a minivan and insurance and was just going to do it under to the table at first- to see if there is demand for it.

Advertising would mostly be through WOM, attending NJhalos and educating players about this service, posting fliers in local sports arenas, parks, etc.

I live on Long Island and I think this would be awesome. Funny enough gaming trucks for birthday parties do seem to be big here, my cousin actually had that as his birthday party a few months ago.

• Upvote (+1) 1