Sign in to follow this  
Animosity

We need to WELCOME the "CoD Kids"

This might be an unpopular opinion, but  I dont think " we need to welcome Cod Kids".

By this I dont mean we should be hostile towards new players trying out Halo just because they usually play Call of Duty, but this whole " toxic community" talk is just missing the point.

There has been pointless hostility and endless trolling on any kind of forum or chat platform I have ever used. Heck I bet there is some guy calling others idiots for no reason on a forum about kniting.

The fact this is the internet and that you are anonymous just makes some people behave like complete assholes, and no amount of  threads calling for people to be nice to eachother will change that.

I try to be as respectful on the internet as I would be in person, and I encourage everyone else to do the same but I believe most people have already made the choice if they want to be nice or not.

This means its up for the moderation to make sure that certain rules obeyed. Since XBL is so large it is much harder to control than this site for example, but reporting the people that step out line is really all you can do.

• Upvote (+1) 2

if they weren't willing or able to bring it back for H2A then I highly doubt they will for Halo 5, we can dream though.

H5 is a completely new game, if they wanted to bring in a clan system similar to Halo 2's, they can. Just like how H5 will have a spectator mode and no previous Halo game has had one. Bringing back the clan system for H2 in MCC was probably too hard of a job considering it was built into the OG Xbox architecture. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

well I've been playing games for about 15 years at this point, I'm kind of manic most of the time and I have Asperger's so it may just be the nature of the game for me, but regardless would you mind teaching me Hard Way Sensei? any kind of advice on how to control myself better would be appreciated :)

Lol, I don't really know how to describe it.  I guess it just came with maturity, and seeing the same things over and over again.  When you get outright bullshitted, just know that it wasn't your fault.  And if you find yourself getting so mad that its affecting your decision making, just take a break.  I kinda developed a "bullshit threshold", where if something is so egregious that its just gonna infuriate me if I keep playing, I just stand up and turn off my Xbox.  That's helped a lot.  And look for reasons to get excited and encouraged too.  When something good happens, try to let good things carry the same weight on your mind that negative things do.

Its still a work in progress for me.  I'm just glad I'm not breaking things anymore to be honest.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Each Halo has gotten worse,,, and until that changes we are in the same boat as COD. 

As I would welcome with open arms any and all COD kids - - I do not see many, if any jumping off of the COD ship to join the Halo clan. 

COD will always have something new, and huge dev support with every title.  Its an uphill battle for 343 to try to compete with the machine that is COD. 

You're totally right. I miss saying "good game" in the post game lobby after I lost.. Like, I still say it, but it seems like nobody else does anymore. It's similar to when all the new people came up in Reach, there's just no respect, on any side, really. It's silly. Everyone should just treat each other nicely. New guys, respect the older guys who know the game, learn from them. Veterans, teach the newbies. You can't really hate them for not getting in on the fun that is Halo, especially when many of them just weren't old enough to really enjoy it when it was big. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

and im a nice guy always say gg and enjoy meeting new people

I enjoy feigning sincerity:

"Hey nice game everyone!.....ya bunch of fkn random loser virgins!"

• Upvote (+1) 4

H5 is a completely new game, if they wanted to bring in a clan system similar to Halo 2's, they can. Just like how H5 will have a spectator mode and no previous Halo game has had one. Bringing back the clan system for H2 in MCC was probably too hard of a job considering it was built into the OG Xbox architecture. 

halo 5 will have spectator mode? anyway my point was that H2 was the only game in the series to have it and considering that they want to give H2 the full anniversary treatment you would think that bringing back the clan would be about as big priority as ever, it may be difficult to recreate the old system but even then making a new system for H2A would be about as difficult as it would for H5 minus the time difference, so yeah don't get your hopes up too much.

Lol, I don't really know how to describe it.  I guess it just came with maturity, and seeing the same things over and over again.  When you get outright bullshitted, just know that it wasn't your fault.  And if you find yourself getting so mad that its affecting your decision making, just take a break.  I kinda developed a "bullshit threshold", where if something is so egregious that its just gonna infuriate me if I keep playing, I just stand up and turn off my Xbox.  That's helped a lot.  And look for reasons to get excited and encouraged too.  When something good happens, try to let good things carry the same weight on your mind that negative things do.

Its still a work in progress for me.  I'm just glad I'm not breaking things anymore to be honest.

yeah I have a "stupidity threshold" myself where if someone is acting dumb enough I don't even bother taking them seriously, some people are so fucking obnoxious and unbearable to be around that you try to ignore their existence, but yeah I get what you're saying so thanks :) 

We've had this discussion before, and I agree that you should be rewarded for investing the effort to get good at the game.  That's what social is for.  Ranked should provide an alternative.  I don't know why you want to take that away.

Also, there is no good reason to be an asshole to someone online through messages or chat.  I've been guilty of this in the past too, but I'm really trying to change my tune in Halo, and do my part to turn our culture around.  I'm honestly embarrassed of it.

I said I agreed with you.  But that doesn't mean common sense and work ethics need to be thrown out the window.  When an option is given to escape the reality that the majority of gamers are bad and should lose, it takes away both symbolic and literal meaning of why at least the majority of skilled players got good in the first place.  I agree that people should be more open to newcomers, that doesn't mean the newcomers need to be bowed down too and treated like they have been playing the game for years.

It would be like if you go to work and your boss decides to take away half your pay and give it to a new employee as a bonus who isn't that good at his job to increase his "motivation" to get better.  I'm sure the new employee will be pleased and will probably make him want to do better, but it took away from someone who has been working for a lot longer and payed his dues before.  Or a better example would be that the new employee was given better benefits than the older employees and was told "Be sure to tell your friends about this!  Come work for us and get better benefits than our previous employees!  Each new employee gets better benefits than the previous!"

Allowing lesser skilled players to avoid the social hierarchy all together pretty much tells the previous generations that had to deal with it that all the work they did and what was entitled to them amounted to nothing.  They can reap what they earn only if the lesser skilled players allow it.  Which of course most won't.  Hell, playing QL on Steam with it's higher population numbers is clearly showing just how much lesser skilled players don't want to allow the higher skilled to earn their rewards.  People constantly quitting games left to right as soon as they realize they're playing a veteran.  First thing they ask at the start of a match is "What's your rank? or am I playing against no life tryhards again"?

• Downvote (-1) 1

halo 5 will have spectator mode? anyway my point was that H2 was the only game in the series to have it and considering that they want to give H2 the full anniversary treatment you would think that bringing back the clan would be about as big priority as ever, it may be difficult to recreate the old system but even then making a new system for H2A would be about as difficult as it would for H5 minus the time difference, so yeah don't get your hopes up too much.

Yes, they've hinted at it many times and they know the importance of it.

Yes, they've hinted at it many times and they know the importance of it.

343i are teasers, hinting at it and confirming it are two completely different things.

but yeah I recall doju (I miss him :() saying something along the lines of if its just your typical type of spectator mode then it'll just be failure because of how great FPS's have been lately at handling it (particularly COD) so its not like them just putting any ole spectator mode into the game will do, they'll have to have something impressive to say the least if they want a serious competitive advantage.

Is it just me or are cod players generally younger than halo players?

Most cod players I've encountered have been 15-18 years old

It doesn't cost you anything to say "good game". It's not like you have to sit there and make a statistical analysis, "Was this actually a good game??"

It's like if someone says "Good morning, how are you?" You don't sit there trying to figure out how you actually feel at that moment, you just say "I'm good, how are you?"

Being civil takes pretty much 0 thought.

One of the guys I play with is quite good (50's etc) but the thing that most impresses me is his attitude. He pretty much never gets mad at the game, just kind of laughs stuff off if bullshit happens to him. I think part of it is the nature of playing Halo 3 in 2014, but I think he also has the greater perspective that no matter what happens to you - in a couple of minutes that specific game will be over and it will just be a memory. Even shitty experiences can be funny in hindsight.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wonder should we go as far as going on forums that are primarily Cod populated and posting halo things there like forge maps and stuff to see who tries it.

It doesn't cost you anything to say "good game". It's not like you have to sit there and make a statistical analysis, "Was this actually a good game??"

It's like if someone says "Good morning, how are you?" You don't sit there trying to figure out how you actually feel at that moment, you just say "I'm good, how are you?"

One of the guys I play with is quite good (50's etc) but the thing that most impresses me is his attitude. He pretty much never gets mad at the game, just kind of laughs stuff off if bullshit happens to him. I think part of it is the nature of playing Halo 3 in 2014, but I think he also has the greater perspective that no matter what happens to you - in a couple of minutes that specific game will be over and it will just be a memory. Even shitty experiences can be funny in hindsight.

what you are speaking of isn't necessarily good attitude/behavior but more like formalities, your friend is likely happy because he's playing a game that he enjoys, I remember when I used to play L4D I would play it constantly and never really got mad, L4D2 however infuriated me so much I just quit and never returned, so yeah better game usually equals better behavior IMO.

343i are teasers, hinting at it and confirming it are two completely different things.

but yeah I recall doju (I miss him :() saying something along the lines of if its just your typical type of spectator mode then it'll just be failure because of how great FPS's have been lately at handling it (particularly COD) so its not like them just putting any ole spectator mode into the game will do, they'll have to have something impressive to say the least if they want a serious competitive advantage.

It wasn't just one tease, they were asked if MCC were going to have one and I believe Frankie said that MCC won't but they definitely understand the importance of one. Their first ViDoc for H5 was eSports focused, that says A LOT to me.

It wasn't just one tease, they were asked if MCC were going to have one and I believe Frankie said that MCC won't but they definitely understand the importance of one. Their first ViDoc for H5 was eSports focused, that says A LOT to me.

you mean that Halo the return video? yeah that was sweet, but still until they confirm it don't be too optimistic, saying they "understand" the importance of one is usually a PR way of saying "we don't care, but we know you do"

you mean that Halo the return video? yeah that was sweet, but still until they confirm it don't be too optimistic, saying they "understand" the importance of one is usually a PR way of saying "we don't care, but we know you do"

IMO, it was just a way of saying that while it isn't a viable option for MCC, H5 will have one but we can't announce that yet because it's too early down the road for that. 

IMO, it was just a way of saying that while it isn't a viable option for MCC, H5 will have one but we can't announce that yet because it's too early down the road for that. 

that's just the kind of thing 343i would do lol, we'll just have to wait and see I guess is the only thing I can really say.

If you take a look at some of the most successful pro gamers - no matter the game - one of the biggest reasons they are successful is their attitude. Not just in winning and losing (sportsmanship) but in the actual game itself, their self control can be the difference between winning and losing a match. It's an aspect of the competitive gaming scene that really goes undervalued in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lol Good luck. I've been saying this shit for years. The "ONLINE" community will always be rude. It's just our job to call it out and exterminate.

Lol Good luck. I've been saying this shit for years. The "ONLINE" community will always be rude. It's just our job to call it out and exterminate.

I agree. I could care less about good sportsmanship in COD, when it comes to Halo, I care.

I wonder should we go as far as going on forums that are primarily Cod populated and posting halo things there like forge maps and stuff to see who tries it.

I feel like that forum would shit on you real quick.

I said I agreed with you.  But that doesn't mean common sense and work ethics need to be thrown out the window.  When an option is given to escape the reality that the majority of gamers are bad and should lose, it takes away both symbolic and literal meaning of why at least the majority of skilled players got good in the first place.  I agree that people should be more open to newcomers, that doesn't mean the newcomers need to be bowed down too and treated like they have been playing the game for years.

It would be like if you go to work and your boss decides to take away half your pay and give it to a new employee as a bonus who isn't that good at his job to increase his "motivation" to get better.  I'm sure the new employee will be pleased and will probably make him want to do better, but it took away from someone who has been working for a lot longer and payed his dues before.  Or a better example would be that the new employee was given better benefits than the older employees and was told "Be sure to tell your friends about this!  Come work for us and get better benefits than our previous employees!  Each new employee gets better benefits than the previous!"

Allowing lesser skilled players to avoid the social hierarchy all together pretty much tells the previous generations that had to deal with it that all the work they did and what was entitled to them amounted to nothing.  They can reap what they earn only if the lesser skilled players allow it.  Which of course most won't.  Hell, playing QL on Steam with it's higher population numbers is clearly showing just how much lesser skilled players don't want to allow the higher skilled to earn their rewards.  People constantly quitting games left to right as soon as they realize they're playing a veteran.  First thing they ask at the start of a match is "What's your rank? or am I playing against no life tryhards again"?

Your analogy would hold up if you searched social and waited there for hours trying to find a game, but couldn't because all the bad players were hiding in low level ranked games.  I can 1000% promise you this won't be the case.  You will always be able to search social and womp on shitty kids.  After getting my 50 in Team Slayer in Halo 3, I 5 starred Social Slayer (2,000 wins in the playlist).  That's not going anywhere.

We have a very different view of ranked.  From what I understand, you view ranked games as an escape for new players from the hopeless beatings that would happen if they matched against anyone.  And in a way, you're right.  But 1, most new players see ranked and steer clear because they're intimidated by the word, and 2, I don't think it's a bad thing to offer players an alternative that lets them match similarly skilled players, learn at their own pace, and gauge their progress with visible skill ranks.  I think that's awesome, actually.  Not to mention that without this alternative, good players seeking a challenge have no choice but to play gamebattles, because they would never be able to match another good team (See Titanfall, Battlefield, CoD before League Play, etc).

Ranked doesn't replace anything.  You are still getting what you want.  All it does is provide a way for players to learn the game gradually, and a way for good players to consistently get challenging games, if they want them.