Sign in to follow this  
Animosity

We need to WELCOME the "CoD Kids"

I feel like each Call of Duty is getting worse, and with the MCC being inevitably good, and Halo 5 having great potential I feel that plenty of call of duty players will try to switch to halo, (as the halo players tried to do with reach and halo 4) The halo community is recovering from a pretty devastating crash and we need any support we can get! I'm tired of the "stick to cod kid" garbage we hear and see every day. If we want the community to grow we need to welcome and befriend these players trying to make the switch. Personally they welcomed me very warmly(on ghosts) and I plan on returning the favor(on mcc/h5) I just want to help the community! 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Our community needs to be more welcoming in general.  We have a very toxic attitude once decent players start playing each other.  It's like we're mad when we get challenging opponents.  That's when all the post game messages calling each other homophobic slurs, and demanding 1v1's starts happening, because our hyper-inflated, fragile ego was bruised.  How about we start recognizing this for what it was...a good game.

If there's one thing our community really needs to fix, its the hostility in place of sportsmanship.  I guarantee you, if you messaged "gg, party up?" instead of "nice host f*****)", you'd probably make a new, good friend every day.  And, that person you messaged is exposed to some good manners for once, see's that as more normal, and is more likely to do it himself.  Ta da, better community.

I agree 100% Sometimes we just need to set the ego down and admit we got out played instead of freak out, telling the person they are good will lead to them wanting to party up and you most likely getting better. It's a win win situation.

Our community needs to be more welcoming in general.  We have a very toxic attitude once decent players start playing each other.  It's like we're mad when we get challenging opponents.  That's when all the post game messages calling each other homophobic slurs, and demanding 1v1's starts happening, because our hyper-inflated, fragile ego was bruised.  How about we start recognizing this for what it was...a good game.

If there's one thing our community really needs to fix, its the hostility in place of sportsmanship.  I guarantee you, if you messaged "gg, party up?" instead of "nice host f*****)", you'd probably make a new, good friend every day.  And, that person you messaged is exposed to some good manners for once, see's that as more normal, and is more likely to do it himself.  Ta da, better community.

this.

I still find it lolworthy that current Halo fans somehow think they're are better than Call of Duty fans, or more intelligent. They're sort of like the gaming equivalent of this:

realmusic7.jpg

upvote if u know what a REAL arena fps is (HALO 2) not this COD CRAP !!!... bring back BUNGIE !!!! u say hardscopes, i say button glitches ..... u say nadeshot, i say suddoth 2!!!!

Nah but srs, I'm having trouble grasping the idea that people will actually be coming to Halo. I do think that people are way too critical of modern gamers' intelligence, and I also believe that people will always have a tendency to gravitate towards the more refined experience. I've said before that more "refined" or challenging experiences like Dark Souls are successful because their fanbase gains a little bit of pride in being able to play a game that 1. respects them, 2. is oldschool af and 3. forces them to change their perspective on games.

So if people pick up the MCC, they're probably going to either go to H2C or H2A. Both of these definitely have potential to be seen as "refined" to a younger player. The main factor in that, I think, would be the lack of sprint. People fucking love when a game doesn't let them do something they would come to expect - that may sound sarcastic, but I'm serious. It forces a perspective shift, and they suddenly gain respect for the game. "Wait, you don't need sprint to have a good game? Wow. I think I'll play this some more."

So yeah, I think Halo will be pulling a few new fans, but I'm also hoping that I'm not just being too optimistic. And also, despite how I may sound, I don't think Halo is the best thing gaming has to offer or anything.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I still find it lolworthy that current Halo fans somehow think they're are better than Call of Duty fans, or more intelligent. They're sort of like the gaming equivalent of this:

realmusic7.jpg

upvote if u know what a REAL arena fps is (HALO 2) not this COD CRAP !!!... bring back BUNGIE !!!! u say hardscopes, i say button glitches ..... u say nadeshot, i say suddoth 2!!!!

Nah but srs, I'm having trouble grasping the idea that people will actually be coming to Halo. I do think that people are way too critical of modern gamers' intelligence, and I also believe that people will always have a tendency to gravitate towards the more refined experience. I've said before that more "refined" or challenging experiences like Dark Souls are successful because their fanbase gains a little bit of pride in being able to play a game that 1. respects them, 2. is oldschool af and 3. forces them to change their perspective on games.

So if people pick up the MCC, they're probably going to either go to H2C or H2A. Both of these definitely have potential to be seen as "refined" to a younger player. The main factor in that, I think, would be the lack of sprint. People fucking love when a game doesn't let them do something they would come to expect - that may sound sarcastic, but I'm serious. It forces a perspective shift, and they suddenly gain respect for the game. "Wait, you don't need sprint to have a good game? Wow. I think I'll play this some more."

So yeah, I think Halo will be pulling a few new fans, but I'm also hoping that I'm not just being too optimistic. And also, despite how I may sound, I don't think Halo is the best thing gaming has to offer or anything.

I agree, I think PC gaming simply dominates right now in the entertainment and competitive aspect. My heart still belongs to halo though.

Can we please not use their shitty slang? thanks

These days whenever I win in halo 3 i get a called a bad 50 for some reason, and sometimes after a loss I'll get people calling me bad when I'm the only one to go positive. I hope people like these can't afford an xbone.

I'm tired of the "stick to cod kid" garbage we hear and see every day.

I have to be perfectly honest here, I've never once heard someone say this in response to a person who has innocently come from Call of Duty to Halo. If I've ever heard someone say "stick to CoD kid", it's simply been from one Halo fan to another, and is used as an insult to imply that the other person is terrible at Halo and should stick to easier games.

I don't believe that there really is this issue that you speak of where CoD players try getting into Halo and then are treated as outcasts and bullied and pushed away. I do however think that there is an issue where gamers in general are not nice to each other, and it would certainly be nice to see people actually being respectful and friendly to each other on Xbox Live. I personally don't think that's going to change though, unfortunately.

I have to be perfectly honest here, I've never once heard someone say this in response to a person who has innocently come from Call of Duty to Halo. If I've ever heard someone say "stick to CoD kid", it's simply been from one Halo fan to another, and is used as an insult to imply that the other person is terrible at Halo and should stick to easier games.

I don't believe that there really is this issue that you speak of where CoD players try getting into Halo and then are treated as outcasts and bullied and pushed away. I do however think that there is an issue where gamers in general are not nice to each other, and it would certainly be nice to see people actually being respectful and friendly to each other on Xbox Live. I personally don't think that's going to change though, unfortunately.

In 2005 when Halo 2 was just getting started I was playing on a gamertag with chaosTheory in it and it was right around the time that Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was popular. Once I started winning more and more rumble games, people in the lobbies started telling me "go back to Splinter Cell you combo/sword/rocket/whatever ***!" This happened around once a day (sometimes more) for months.

Some things never change.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What we need to do, hoping to hell HMMC has some sort of clan system for Halo 2, is create one for GoBeyond. That way, the community grows and in doing that, we attract people, throw some customs up one weekend, and play some Slayer, recreate that good sportsmanship. You may not have done well, but but still Good Game. 

You know, there may be 50's in Halo 2 and 3, that are snotty teenagers, but not all "pros" are like that. 

What we need to do, hoping to hell HMMC has some sort of clan system for Halo 2, is create one for GoBeyond. That way, the community grows and in doing that, we attract people, throw some customs up one weekend, and play some Slayer, recreate that good sportsmanship. You may not have done well, but but still Good Game. 

You know, there may be 50's in Halo 2 and 3, that are snotty teenagers, but not all "pros" are like that. 

They said H2 won't have a clan system. 

We could all just put Beyond in front of our GT like you  :Halo:

It's not the same though. :( I hope they bring back Clan system for H5.

I recall the first time I played MLG (it was called MLG originally) settings, although I don't remember every single thing that was said I will never forget how I felt, I was so excited to play competitive settings for once and then to hear nothing but hate throughout the entire match was just sickening, I quit out like halfway through because of how unbearable it was, to have my former teammates message me saying stuff "noobtrash" and shit a few minutes later, it didn't deter me personally but if I were someone new to halo or someone that was more sensitive to these sorts of things I probably would have given up on competitive halo at that point.

It's not the same though. :( I hope they bring back Clan system for H5.

if they weren't willing or able to bring it back for H2A then I highly doubt they will for Halo 5, we can dream though.

While I agree with this.  But that's the sad truth of why most people got good not only in Halo but in games in general.  No one wakes up one day and says, "I want to get good at this games because I want to play against others that are good and be challenged!"  Most people say, "I want to get good so I can start owning and feel like a god!"  Personally, I got good in shooters and fighting games back then because I was forced too. 

Back then there was no matchmaking systems.  It's was either get good or lose forever.  No other outcomes or choices to be made when every online game was the exact same.  Even when matchmaking started with H2 it was very easily exploited and it massively was, IE deranking and making new accounts just to pwn lesser skilled players.  Online gaming unlike it's competitive gaming counterpart has no sense of morals or obligations to give two shits about your opponent.  Online gaming is more like a war than it is a sport.

Your expecting two generations of gamers that grew up with online gaming being a place where only the strong survived to suddenly change their attitudes?  And your also expecting the majority of gamers who want to get good not to seek their rewards for getting good in the first place?  Hate to break it to you but most gamers above average skill level have no intentions of competitive at a high level or go to tournaments.  They got good mostly to win and pwn more than they lose.  Getting good must have it's real rewards, not just a silly rank saying that your good.  Getting good should feel like your a rich man.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

While I agree with this.  But that's the sad truth of why most people got good not only in Halo but in games in general.  No one wakes up one day and says, "I want to get good at this games because I want to play against others that are good and be challenged!"  Most people say, "I want to get good so I can start owning and feel like a god!"  Personally, I got good in shooters and fighting games back then because I was forced too. 

Back then there was no matchmaking systems.  It's was either get good or lose forever.  No other outcomes or choices to be made when every online game was the exact same.  Even when matchmaking started with H2 it was very easily exploited and it massively was, IE deranking and making new accounts just to pwn lesser skilled players.  Online gaming unlike it's competitive gaming counterpart has no sense of morals or obligations to give two shits about your opponent.  Online gaming is more like a war than it is a sport.

Your expecting two generations of gamers that grew up with online gaming being a place where only the strong survived to suddenly change their attitudes?  And your also expecting the majority of gamers who want to get good not to seek their rewards for getting good in the first place?  Hate to break it to you but most gamers above average skill level have no intentions of competitive at a high level or go to tournaments.  They got good mostly to win and pwn more than they lose.  Getting good must have it's real rewards, not just a silly rank saying that your good.  Getting good should feel like your a rich man.

We've had this discussion before, and I agree that you should be rewarded for investing the effort to get good at the game.  That's what social is for.  Ranked should provide an alternative.  I don't know why you want to take that away.

Also, there is no good reason to be an asshole to someone online through messages or chat.  I've been guilty of this in the past too, but I'm really trying to change my tune in Halo, and do my part to turn our culture around.  I'm honestly embarrassed of it.

i play games to have fun, not get good. i just play the fun games so much that i get good at them/want to get better at them

I agree we will see a increasing number of new players for MCC and H5 .

and im a nice guy always say gg and enjoy meeting new people

I wish I could say the same for myself, I don't know what it is about MP that makes totally chill people into animals, I remember at one point I was in a game with pistola (this was like forever ago) and I ended up muting myself shortly after the game began because I knew I would just disrespect him/embarrass myself, I ended up getting into SP for a while which worked well but I had to sell my 360 for $, I think some people just need to accept the fact that they aren't meant for competitive play.

I wish I could say the same for myself, I don't know what it is about MP that makes totally chill people into animals, I remember at one point I was in a game with pistola (this was like forever ago) and I ended up muting myself shortly after the game began because I knew I would just disrespect him/embarrass myself, I ended up getting into SP for a while which worked well but I had to sell my 360 for $, I think some people just need to accept the fact that they aren't meant for competitive play.

I used to lose my freaking mind on this game.  It took years of work, but my mental game has gotten a lot stronger.  It's a skill that needs to be worked on, just like anything else.

I used to lose my freaking mind on this game.  It took years of work, but my mental game has gotten a lot stronger.  It's a skill that needs to be worked on, just like anything else.

well I've been playing games for about 15 years at this point, I'm kind of manic most of the time and I have Asperger's so it may just be the nature of the game for me, but regardless would you mind teaching me Hard Way Sensei? any kind of advice on how to control myself better would be appreciated :)