Wilfram

Could CoD: AW possibly strengthen Halo's fanbase?

Normally, I can't stand new topics with lengthy, thought out topics and usually just like ones with simple topic titles, but I feel like this deserves at least a page or two of discussion, and I want to elaborate my point as much as possible. So bear with me.

After months of watching, rewatching, and watching for a third time nearly every video on YouTube that has been released concering Halo: MCC, I decided to take the time out tonight to learn what I could about the next Call of Duty installment to see what's going on in their neck of the woods.

When looking at videos (not the comments sections!) on YouTube from major CoD YouTubers such as Whiteboy7thst, and looking around on a couple of prominent CoD forums, about 75% of the content I came across from the hardcore fanbase was worry that Advanced Warfare was doing the same thing that Halo 4 did: borrowing features from other games, and leaving the community with a game that was a disservice to the Halo franchise.

To give a small example-

Several pundits made immediate connections to Titanfall after seeing the first AW multiplayer trailer, a stigma that still continues today with every multiplayer gameplay that Sledgehammer releases. Call of Duty + double jumps and jet packs sounds like Titanfall minus wallrunning to most fans it seems.

As a fan of competitive Halo, I hope that CoD practically vanishes from the competitive console gaming spotlight just as Halo did when 4 was released. I believe AW might have the same issues that H4 did in AW's own right.

If (and i do realize it's a huge *if*) people leave CoD: AW in it's one year cycle in search of something else, what better for the Halo community for them to turn to than Halo: MCC?

Do you think that it's too early to judge? Maybe all games have worrisome fans before it comes out? Hopefully this is a topic that isn't silly to most, because after researching for the past 5 or 6 hours about AW and what the CoD community thought so far, I believe that it has the potential to weaken CoD's fanbase, and possibly strengthen Halo's.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No.

as you said COD AW looks an awful lot like titanfall to many people (I had similar impressions after just watching like a minute B-roll) so to say that it will somehow mean the return of halo or w/e is just silly.

this is the way it goes down, halo 4 tried to copy COD (and failed) and ended up giving Black Ops 2 better sales, now AW is copying titanfall and (assuming it fails) will just mean more interest in titanfall, now if you like titanfall maybe this is good news for you but in regards to halo I don't see it helping too much at all.

The game looks like its next to a total departure from the CoD franchise. As someone that doesn't really care for CoD I'm actually more interested in this one than the recent CoD titles but I also immediately stopped and realized how different it was and how I felt when Halo started down that path. I wouldn't be surprised to see the audience for the next CoD title be somewhat different than the traditional one because its wildly different. Hard to say if they will lose or gain more players with the shift but usually things like this have a large negative impact.

I think it probably won't make a difference as far as Halo population goes though. People will play Halo because they like it and not because CoD sucks.

No.

as you said COD AW looks an awful lot like titanfall to many people (I had similar impressions after just watching like a minute B-roll) so to say that it will somehow mean the return of halo or w/e is just silly.

this is the way it goes down, halo 4 tried to copy COD (and failed) and ended up giving Black Ops 2 better sales, now AW is copying titanfall and (assuming it fails) will just mean more interest in titanfall, now if you like titanfall maybe this is good news for you but in regards to halo I don't see it helping too much at all.

I feel like some CoD guys are just gonna play the game regardless because it's CoD. But if some people leave the game because they don't like it, it's not crazy to think that they'll turn to Halo: MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As soon as I saw the thrusters/double jumping shit and wall-running in Titanfall I knew the game would suck. Allowing that much freedom to every player on the map spells custerfuck. And while a good clusterfuck is good for a laugh every once and while, it can't make the basis of a good game. If the next COD really does have double jumping and jetpacks, then the game will suck as well.

Devs need to learn that restrictions are necessary for good gameplay. More options doesn't always mean better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The game looks like its next to a total departure from the CoD franchise. As someone that doesn't really care for CoD I'm actually more interested in this one than the recent CoD titles but I also immediately stopped and realized how different it was and how I felt when Halo started down that path. I wouldn't be surprised to see the audience for the next CoD title to be somewhat different than the traditional one because its wildly different. Hard to say if they will lose or gain more players with the shift but usually things like this have a large negative impact.

I think it probably won't make a difference as far as Halo population goes though. People will play Halo because they like it and not because CoD sucks.

I agree with your first statement. AW will be an extremely different Call of Duty. My point that I'm trying to drive across is I think that it's awesome that Halo: MCC will be out for kids who stop playing CoD to pick up and try out. I feel like MCC would be the perfect way for a kid who is tired of CoD to get into Halo.

As soon as I saw the thrusters/double jumping shit and wall-running in Titanfall I knew the game would suck. Allowing that much freedom to every player on the map spells custerfuck. And while a good clusterfuck is good for a laugh every once and while, it can't make the basis of a good game. If the next COD really does have double jumping and jetpacks, then the game will suck as well.

Devs need to learn that restrictions are necessary for good gameplay more options doesn't always mean better.

I'm not sure I could say that after playing Quake/Tribes (not the recent Tribes) but that was on PC long ago.

edit: aimed mostly at jetpacks/quickly moving about with lots of freedom. Obviously the games I mentioned had the restriction of being quite difficult to land shots in comparison to CoD

Devs need to learn that restrictions are necessary for good gameplay. More options doesn't always mean better.

Couldn't agree more. Devs really struggle (and with good reason) with finding the line between not fixing what isn't broken and pleasing people who want something new.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like some CoD guys are just gonna play the game regardless because it's CoD. But if some people leave the game because they don't like it, it's not crazy to think that they'll turn to Halo: MCC.

Why would they? the only market that the MCC appeals to are fans of the series and people who are interested in halo but have never really had the chance to play it, I can see a certain amount of 10 year olds jumping shit at best but even then I'm not sure if that's the kind of audience that you would like to see in halo.

Why would they? the only market that the MCC appeals to are fans of the series and people who are interested in halo but have never really had the chance to play it, I can see a certain amount of 10 year olds jumping shit at best but even then I'm not sure if that's the kind of audience that you would like to see in halo.

Obviously MCC is targeted at fans of the series, and I doubt the preteen audience of CoD is going to jump ship. Those are the CoD kids that I expect to stay with CoD simply because it's CoD. I'm talking about people who are CoD fans first, FPS fans second. There's no doubt in my mind that guys that are fed up with Advanced Warfare will pick up a copy of MCC before/after they're sick of Advanced Warfare. Maybe they played a little CE or 2 in their day and want to play again.

My point is that I could see a lot of people saying goodbye to Advanced Warfare by January, and I think it could really benefit the Halo community that MCC is on shelves everywhere to be picked up by people looking for an FPS (new or familiar) that isn't CoD.

Obviously MCC is targeted at fans of the series, and I doubt the preteen audience of CoD is going to jump ship. Those are the CoD kids that I expect to stay with CoD simply because it's CoD. I'm talking about people who are CoD fans first, FPS fans second. There's no doubt in my mind that guys that are fed up with Advanced Warfare will pick up a copy of MCC before/after they're sick of Advanced Warfare. Maybe they played a little CE or 2 in their day and want to play again.

My point is that I could see a lot of people saying goodbye to Advanced Warfare by January, and I think it could really benefit the Halo community that MCC is on shelves everywhere to be picked up by people looking for an FPS (new or familiar) that isn't CoD.

how many people do you seriously know that only play one game? I mean you seem to think that COD kids are just ignorant and only play COD all day eryday like its crack or something, I think their is a good amount of the (gaming) population that is more "go with the flow" and only do things because they have friends that do it and stuff but I can't see a regular COD player just ignoring every other game on the market and just playing that game exclusively.

to be fair to your point both games are releasing within a week which means that if AW was a complete flop you could see some level of player fatigue which could result in MCC fairing better than expected, but even then you could just as easily say that AW will just drown out halo MCC like with what happened with halo 4.

honestly this is starting to sound more and more like a BELI343 type of thread than anything, you want the MCC to succeed so desperately that you are willing to make incredible assumption/predictions about something that may or may not even matter to a game like halo, you just gotta accept the fact that the MCC is a niche product and will likely not do nearly as well (in overall sales and population) as the main titles have, if you really care about the success of the MCC and halo in general then try doing more to support it yourself and don't rely so much on others.

I have no problem with the new features for cod AW but it's remind me of to many games which is why I'm trying to learn halo instead as everyone is saying cod aw is gonna be like halo 4. Cod aw still will be played cause cod takes no skill most people like that instead of playing halo cause they probably suck

how many people do you seriously know that only play one game? I mean you seem to think that COD kids are just ignorant and only play COD all day eryday like its crack or something, I think their is a good amount of the (gaming) population that is more "go with the flow" and only do things because they have friends that do it and stuff but I can't see a regular COD player just ignoring every other game on the market and just playing that game exclusively.

to be fair to your point both games are releasing within a week which means that if AW was a complete flop you could see some level of player fatigue which could result in MCC fairing better than expected, but even then you could just as easily say that AW will just drown out halo MCC like with what happened with halo 4.

honestly this is starting to sound more and more like a BELI343 type of thread than anything, you want the MCC to succeed so desperately that you are willing to make incredible assumption/predictions about something that may or may not even matter to a game like halo, you just gotta accept the fact that the MCC is a niche product and will likely not do nearly as well (in overall sales and population) as the main titles have, if you really care about the success of the MCC and halo in general then try doing more to support it yourself and don't rely so much on others.

I would never wish failure on anyone- even CoD. You're reading too much into the point I'm trying to get across. Aside from a competitive gaming standpoint, I hope and believe that CoD will have a very successful year in sales, population per day, twitch viewership, etc. just as they do each year. I wish CoD nothing but the best, and my only pox I'd put on CoD is that I wish it would disappear from MLG and Halo take the stage again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would never wish failure on anyone- even CoD. You're reading too much into the point I'm trying to get across. Aside from a competitive gaming standpoint, I hope and believe that CoD will have a very successful year in sales, population per day, twitch viewership, etc. just as they do each year. I wish CoD nothing but the best, and my only pox I'd put on CoD is that I wish it would disappear from MLG and Halo take the stage again.

oh... so your speaking from a competitive standpoint? perhaps it could, from what I've heard MLG does have a soft spot for halo and assuming AW does poorly and MCC does well (relatively speaking) I could see the MCC becoming the premiere competitive FPS title.

btw COD isn't a person, its a fish/game type thing.

If anything. The releasing of another shit CoD title every year will kill the CoD community and some will come to Halo. Majority of CoD players are just wanting some hyper active SMG twitch shooter. Competitive CoD? I don't know I don't keep up with competitive Call of Duty. Call of Duty doesn't even seem competitive to me. Nothing like Halo or Counter Strike. 

oh... so your speaking from a competitive standpoint? perhaps it could, from what I've heard MLG does have a soft spot for halo and assuming AW does poorly and MCC does well (relatively speaking) I could see the MCC becoming the premiere competitive FPS title.

btw COD isn't a person, its a fish/game type thing.

I thought COD had an exclusive deal with MLG to be the only FPS on the circuit

I thought COD had an exclusive deal with MLG to be the only FPS on the circuit

I didn't know that... in any case MLG cares about profit the most and if COD is doing poorly and halo is doing well (again, relatively speaking) then I wouldn't be too surprised to see halo back on the circuit to some degree.

No.

I don't think it means that it AW's failure would spark more interest in Titanfall. I never played the game, and didn't see much more than a trailer about it, but I'm pretty sure not too many people actually liked it. 

I think MCC appeals to people who haven't played Halo before, as well as the original Halo players. It's literally 4.5-5 games on one disc..for $60. That's an awesome deal. Especially when they're all so different. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wow I didn't know this. Smart Activision. 

fixed.

I don't think it means that it AW's failure would spark more interest in Titanfall. I never played the game, and didn't see much more than a trailer about it, but I'm pretty sure not too many people actually liked it. 

I think MCC appeals to people who haven't played Halo before, as well as the original Halo players. It's literally 4.5-5 games on one disc..for $60. That's an awesome deal. Especially when they're all so different. 

my point was that if AW reminded people of titanfall why wouldn't they go for the real thing?

I agree that the MCC is a great deal, however it won't be the juggernaut that some people are claiming it'll be, in hindsight MS/343i should've launched halo 4 along with halo 1-3 in the first place, they could of made it into a launch title (which would've sold XB1's like hotcakes) or even following the release date of the current MCC it would've been easier for a game like halo 4 to fill in the void that a game like AW would have, so really the MCC is going to be kind of the opposite of Reach/4 because it'll meet (most) of its expectations in terms of quality but it won't sell too well.

no

honestly i think the radar in normal well all halo modes except a couple kill it for a bunch of casuals.  some like the radar.  but alot probably get turned off by it

• Downvote (-1) 2

no

honestly i think the radar in normal well all halo modes except a couple kill it for a bunch of casuals.  some like the radar.  but alot probably get turned off by it

wtf are you talking about?

this thread is about whether or not Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare will be a flop, and whether or not that would benefit the Master Chief Collection.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To me Ghost was the Halo Reach of the series and it looks like now CoD AW is there Halo 4.  MCC will draw in some new people but will mainly draw the people who played it when those games were in there prime.  I see us actually getting a lot of new players when Halo 5 Guardians come out.

I just think it's awesome that MCC will be on the shelves *if* Advanced Warfare is a huge flop. MCC is more than a gift to Halo fans. Like Rolex said, It's 4 full games and more for the price of one. Advanced Warfare's failure doesn't directy correlate to a bigger Halo fanbase, and I'd be such a Halo fanboy to say so. I'm just saying it can't hurt it if people turn away from CoD and MCC is available for purchase.

To me Ghost was the Halo Reach of the series and it looks like now CoD AW is there Halo 4.  MCC will draw in some new people but will mainly draw the people who played it when those games were in there prime.  I see us actually getting a lot of new players when Halo 5 Guardians come out.

halo 5 is a mystery really, on one side I would like to say that 343i will follow up on the MCC (and yes this means they can't simply ignore halo 4) and they'll go for something more traditional, but on the other you could say that because of the MCC that it will give 343i more flexibility because simply put they can just relegate most of the old school halo players towards MCC and instead focus on doing something a little bit more ambitious, but yeah its hard to tell at this point.

I just think it's awesome that MCC will be on the shelves *if* Advanced Warfare is a huge flop. MCC is more than a gift to Halo fans. Like Rolex said, It's 4 full games and more for the price of one. Advanced Warfare's failure doesn't directy correlate to a bigger Halo fanbase, and I'd be such a Halo fanboy to say so. I'm just saying it can't hurt it if people turn away from CoD and MCC is available for purchase.

its important to note that a far worse game (competitively speaking) could come up and take COD's place, I don't much care about COD but judging from everything I've seen and heard it has become a halfway decent competitive FPS in the last few years, I guess the devil you know is better than the devil you don't you could say.

but in general I think it would be a good thing for COD to go the way of the dodo, not only to give more room to other IP's, but also because I believe CoD never really earned its success, it was kind of like the Twilight of the gaming world.