Zejik

Forge Maps Remaster DLC Idea For Halo 5.

I don't exactly condone bashing against waypoint,  waypoint is where I (and I assume many) other community members started out, then after some thought and courage I decided that THC (then :beyond:) was a better fit for me, to me waypoint is like a kiddie pool and beyond is like the deep end.

Certain community members are awful though, I see nothing wrong with pointing out stupid post or questionable community members, however don't bash Waypoint as a whole because its a part of halo just as much as anything else.

wasn't really referring to your post too much but I just thought I would give my take on it I guess :mellow:

Whoops replied to the wrong post.... 

Jonah-hill-no.gif

To be fare I did say maybe not.... LOL. I won't lie there are some pretty horrific maps out there. Some of those maps from Team Slayer in Reach make me wanna throw a grunt into a canyon.

Hope we just get a straight up map maker for h5, peeps need to stop being content with forge...timesplitters had one- far cry had one. This is next gen..

Hope we just get a straight up map maker for h5, peeps need to stop being content with forge...timesplitters had one- far cry had one. This is next gen..

go on, I'm listening.

go on, I'm listening.

Haha that's all I got, don't understand how the natural progression from forge wasn't just a straight up map maker or just build the multiplayer maps in a type or forge and give the same assets to the players. Don't see why it's not possible.

Thinking of a more powerful version of this, always thought forge was a piss take since this was out before h3. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

forge is somewhat arguable, I don't think personally removing forge entirely or going full out with a map maker/terrain editor is the best solution really, I think it may be better to scratch the idea of forge maps entirely and instead work on making all the typical run of the mill maps into more (for the lack of a better term) forgeable environments, kind of in the middle approach really but I think its a decent idea that might work better than what they've been doing or what they could do.

oh yeah and I remember that game, everyone has their flings don't they?

• Upvote (+1) 1

forge is somewhat arguable, I don't think personally removing forge entirely or going full out with a map maker/terrain editor is the best solution really, I think it may be better to scratch the idea of forge maps entirely and instead work on making all the typical run of the mill maps into more (for the lack of a better term) forgeable environments, kind of in the middle approach really but I think its a decent idea that might work better than what they've been doing or what they could do.

oh yeah and I remember that game, everyone has their flings don't they?

This as well as what I'd like to see, surely it's possible for them to build the maps with totally forgeable pieces but we won't get it unless we get our voices heard and demand something better. Yeah FCs single player fantasmo, never delved into mp that much always was impressed with it's editor though apparently it only got better in the sequels

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fare I did say maybe not.... LOL. I won't lie there are some pretty horrific maps out there. Some of those maps from Team Slayer in Reach make me wanna throw a grunt into a canyon.

Yeah I was just trolling, it's a good idea in theory, there are some great forge maps that actually deserve to be remadw as 'real' maps, but we just cannot trust 343i / the community to choose the good maps

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I was just trolling, it's a good idea in theory, there are some great forge maps that actually deserve to be remadw as 'real' maps, but we just cannot trust 343i / the community to choose the good maps

For the record, the vetting process for maps has improved dramatically since Reach as many of the individuals responsible for pushing some of those awful maps have since left the scene. Now the selection process is pretty much lead by Warholic, Fated Fire and Psycho Duck, all of which are top notch forgers and all 'round individuals.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dude, not trying to take credit for this, but I posted a topic about this a while ago. Can't remember if it was on here though.

I definitely mentioned it on Twitter.

I actually got into a mini-argument with Gandhi on Twitter because he said they should have a contest where the winning map gets made into an actual 343-designed map and there would be a tournament intertwined with/after the contest. I showed him a tweet from weeks before that where I tweeted to 343 that exact idea minus the tournament part, lol.

This idea I first heard of from an old Gandhi's thoughts(he probably got from someone else) is amazing the developers save time and money compared to designing new maps. Plus is increases the map pool for competitive maps. 

Yes, me lol.

He claims he didn't get it from me and got pissy with me when I linked my tweet to 343 that described this weeks before his "Gandhi's Thoughts" video (where he claimed it was like, "the best idea ever" lol).

But whatever. I'm sure someone may have mentioned it a long time before me some place. But so far as I know, I was the first to mention it to 343 (bsangel, Bravo, and HaloWaypoint's twitter at the time) via Twitter. It's still on my feed somewhere, waaaaay down there...

OMG NO PLEASE NO Symplex a disc map?

Forge maps need to stay forge maps and that because forge always limits forgers.

With a real map editor we would create more complex maps than...symplex.

Yes, but the point is that some Forge maps, despite Forge's limitations, push the boundaries of what most Forge maps usually result in. Not only that, but if they took a good/decent Forge map and remade it, those limitations would be removed and certain things the creator wanted to do but couldn't, could then be done/applied, be it purely cosmetic elements or structural elements.

For example, I know one thing that is sometimes VERY difficult to do, depending on the map, is create elevation variations. A lot of maps end up just being one flat level, with ramps to another flat level, etc. Having small elevation variations throughout one/each floor is sometimes insanely difficult to properly pull off, and therefore is often left out/neglected.

Yes, me lol.

He claims he didn't get it from me and got pissy with me when I linked my tweet to 343 that described this weeks before his "Gandhi's Thoughts" video (where he claimed it was like, "the best idea ever" lol).

But whatever. I'm sure someone may have mentioned it a long time before me some place. But so far as I know, I was the first to mention it to 343 (bsangel, Bravo, and HaloWaypoint's twitter at the time) via Twitter. It's still on my feed somewhere, waaaaay down there...

Not trying to knock ya here man, but it's not exactly the most novel of ideas. Pleanty of forgers have commented about how they'd like to see something like this in years past.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not trying to knock ya here man, but it's not exactly the most novel of ideas. Pleanty of forgers have commented about how they'd like to see something like this in years past.

Read my post: I mentioned that I was pretty sure someone had mentioned something like it before, but that as far as I knew, I was the only one who'd brought it straight to 343 and got a response from them about it (well... a response from bsangel, anyway lol).

This as well as what I'd like to see, surely it's possible for them to build the maps with totally forgeable pieces but we won't get it unless we get our voices heard and demand something better. Yeah FCs single player fantasmo, never delved into mp that much always was impressed with it's editor though apparently it only got better in the sequels

well this has been one of the main problems within the halo community, its easy to "get our voices heard" but who's exactly? and for what reason? I mean the halo community has plenty of differing opinions, debates, and at times arguments about halo and such which is good in some ways but bad on this level because it means that a developer just gets mixed signals and no matter what they do it just ends up hurting one community while helping another, forge is one of those things that I haven't heard any real consensus on and has (as others have said) usually torn communities apart, I don't really see an end in sight I suppose but I think 343i could do something at least doesn't infuriate the majority of players.

For the record, the vetting process for maps has improved dramatically since Reach as many of the individuals responsible for pushing some of those awful maps have since left the scene. Now the selection process is pretty much lead by Warholic, Fated Fire and Psycho Duck, all of which are top notch forgers and all 'round individuals.

how has the "process" exactly changed as you remember it? I know the people have changed and such but in terms of the way maps are put into MM I'm curious as to how it has changed, for better and/or for worse.

how has the "process" exactly changed as you remember it? I know the people have changed and such but in terms of the way maps are put into MM I'm curious as to how it has changed, for better and/or for worse.

The process was never a problem (IMHO), it was more who was involved in finding the maps, and who had any say on if they got pushed through to the MM sustain team. I can't say anything about the process after the 343i MM Sustain Team takes the maps, but I can definitely say that up until that point we're in much better hands the before.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's good to hear

Dude, not trying to take credit for this, but I posted a topic about this a while ago. Can't remember if it was on here though.

I definitely mentioned it on Twitter.

I actually got into a mini-argument with Gandhi on Twitter because he said they should have a contest where the winning map gets made into an actual 343-designed map and there would be a tournament intertwined with/after the contest. I showed him a tweet from weeks before that where I tweeted to 343 that exact idea minus the tournament part, lol.

Sorry I didn't know. It just popped into my head one day. I did figure someone else had to have the idea at some point. Just didn't really have the time to look at the time.

I can't even think of any Forge maps I particularly like. I guess it's because Forge hasn't been in a good Halo game yet.

Go look at any map Solo XIII has created and you tell me you don't like any of them. I dare you. 

He's probably the best forger in my opinion

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorry I didn't know. It just popped into my head one day. I did figure someone else had to have the idea at some point. Just didn't really have the time to look at the time.

No worries dude. Like I said, I'm definitely not the first ever to think of it for sure. But I have brought it to 343's attention, and Jessica (@bsangel) said she loved the idea and would pass it along (for whatever that's worth lol).

Go look at any map Solo XIII has created and you tell me you don't like any of them. I dare you. 

He's probably the best forger in my opinion

That dude has some maps in Murder Minersd I think.

Better Idea:

- Make Forge so much better for Halo 5, so great and good looking maps can be build.

- 343 to Hire some of the best Forgers there, so they can make a better Forge and have good Forge maps ready for Launch. Actually this guys could help on disc maps too.

I've tweeted them saying to hire talented forgers as map devs. Won't ever happen sadly, I'd pack up and head over their the next day if I could design halo maps for a living.