Sign in to follow this  
Animosity

Was Halo 4 really THAT bad?

It's irrelevant to the question "would I rather go play CoD"? 

Whoa. 

How about, would you have quit halo and gaming if halo was the first halo out. (plenty of people did quit) Including myself. Only started playing again because of MCC. 

The reality of it is that I would've probably played it but would never have gotten into the competitive aspect of it, which would never lead to me getting involved in the community, and thus none of you would know who I am. 

It wasn't a fun game, there's realy no need to take the discussion any further. It wasn't a fun game simply relative to how fun previous halo was, it's just not fun in general.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think that Halo 4 still would have been the premiere xbox shooter of its time. The only gripe with that order is that there would have been SO much community complaining about all the changes in CE.

Releasing Halo 4 with all it's extra features and such a couple of games prior to Halo: CE would be disastrous; like stepping backwards. I realize that Halo: CE is far superior from a gameplay / skill standpoint, but fans would not likely see it that way in that instance.

The vast majority of people being fans of Halo after the first release (Halo 4 in this instance) would be fans of things like flinch, load-outs, and armour abilities, being that Halo had not ever been without them. Those of us who just objectively (nostalgia and muscle memory aside) don't like those things would just not be fans of the franchise and wouldn't play it.

In any case, yes: Halo 4 is that bad. But it's not without its merits: shot registration is phenomenal, Forge is great despite its obvious and well-documented flaws, etc. Even without other Halo games to compare it to, though, it would still turn a lot of people off. If it had de-scope, the "red X", spectator mode, better Forge environs / textures, no sprint (or at least no sprint playlists & it were optional in custom games), didn't have loud-outs, and had on-map 1-time-use equipment in place of armour abilities (even if the equipment was that of the armour abilities but the usage dynamic were changed) all at launch, I suspect it would have faired much, much better and would likely still have a decent population today.

Would it have stayed in MLG and regained the standings it had in the days of Halo 3? Who knows. But it definitely would have been more fun, and thus, more popular and longer lasting.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Simple answer is yes, yes it was.

If Halo 4 "came out first" then it would have been a mildly entertaining game but would never have taken off the way Halo CE did thus never spawning the sequels.

no seriously think about it... how long could you could you go on playing LAN with the same 3 friends on H4 vanilla maps??

Yes, mostly due to the excessive autoaim and magnetism.

At a competitve level

-Every player had a BR like Roy

-Every player had a sniper like Snipedown.

Also, F&+# sprint and AAs.

ahahaha!

Yes.

Lol I'm glad someone here can appreciate the silent awkward neutral feeling in your body followed by an explosion of warmth and awesome smelling colors while blood cells over your eyes cloud the room to the beat of the music. Halo 4 just never got past that awkward monotone of depressant vs stimulant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

it was better than default reach but we already had to endure reach's shenanigans

also that situation would be pretty funny.

reach releases with zb right off the bat with b creek, damnation, prizoner, headlong, hang em as the first maps.

then they would release 100% bloom and maps like swordbase and we'd be like wtf

We'd be having so many hr vs h3 debates like we do h2 vs h3. h3 maps>hr. hr dmr>h3 br. halo3 snipe> hr. yada yada

then we'd have halo 2 and we'd be like holy shit.

then we'd have halo ce and every1 would be like wtf. honestly don't know what would happen. guess we'll see.

tho it's not even that far fetched...

halo 4's forge < reach < h2 (vista) < halo ce. only thing out of place here is halo 3's even tho i think h3's is at least prettier.

halo 4's theater < reach < h3.

halo 4's medals < reach < h3

halo 4's aiming < reach < h3 < h2 < hce

halo 4's fileshare/browser < reach < h3. pregame fileshare > reach's browser

halo 4's ranks < reach's < h3 < h2

halo 4's xp < reach's < h3.

it's depressing thinking about this stuff

Still play h4 instead of reach cause I hate armor lock but h4 is a bad game. The features of h4 is bad but the fact that you get shot and stayed zoomed in just makes me wanna play h3 again

Still play h4 instead of reach cause I hate armor lock but h4 is a bad game. The features of h4 is bad but the fact that you get shot and stayed zoomed in just makes me wanna play h3 again

Then why the heck are you playing it at all?  (just curious)

Then why the heck are you playing it at all?  (just curious)

cause I'm sure halo 5 will have sprint so figure get use to playing with sprint

I know... The Reach music was the war drums, got your blood pumping.

Halo 3 music made you feel like you were amongst gods with its majestic feel.

Halo 4 made you feel like you were in the desert in an Arabian film.

I disagree, Reach's music always gave me a chill down my spine, agree with the other 2 I suppose.

cause I'm sure halo 5 will have sprint so figure get use to playing with sprint

I wouldn't be so sure, I think the chances of 343i removing sprint is a helluva lot better than them ever making the MCC was, can't say for sure but don't go making too many assumptions considering 343i's track record.