ThatTrueLegend

Why do a lot of people hate Halo?

"it takes too long to kill people" is a perfectly valid complaint.

They just take it too far with CoD SWAT-esque kill times. The sad part is that CoD fanboys and dedicated h1 nerds like myself have been asking for faster kill times for years and it still isnt happening.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They just take it too far with CoD SWAT-esque kill times. The sad part is that CoD fanboys and dedicated h1 nerds like myself have been asking for faster kill times for years and it still isnt happening.

yeah they might as well make the official starting rifle in halo 5 the nerf gun, would be funny at least.

Aim assist, regenerating health, 2 weapons at a time, being a console game, bringing FPS to the mainstream

I highly respect your opinion perhaps more than anyone else's here. When you explained to me why you hated h3 it opened my eyes to see an aspect of FPS I had not given much thought to.

But again I am confused. The kill times now for h4 or reach are fine. I couldn't imagine cutting them in half and have anything close to the entertaining engagement we have today.

If again you would be so kind as to enlighten me I would be most appreciative.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Because the this generation of gamers aren't used to halo like we were. When we were starting gaming halo was like the thing to play, if you didn't play halo and were a hardcore gamer you sucked ass. Now it's call of duty all the kids are asking their parents for the new call of duty for Christmas other than a halo game. People don't understand how good games actually are if all they know is call of duty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are people such big haters of Halo? Like, I've never actually realized how much people hate Halo until reading some YouTube comments recently, it's crazy.

Youtube comments are always full of hate, I wouldn't take it to heart or give it any real justification.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fact: You will never find anything of worth in a Youtube comment section, its where the internet trolls originated I am pretty sure.

The easy answer as to why people hate Halo is because the internet hates all Huge AAA franchises it seems and even Indie developers these days. I have yet to meet anyone IRL who actually hates a video-game, the internet is a place of exaggeration because people crave attention and most of the time are not looking to eloquently state their position and find it easier to get their point across by being a dick.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ii played cod and. Now learning halo and I like it it's more of a challenge than cod but younger people will get a cod game cause it's easy even tho halo back in the day was bigger than other fps

I've heard "It's unrealistic", "I can't spawn with a Sniper Rifle if I want", "I want to put attachments on my guns", "it takes too long to kill people" (which is okay to say but they want an AR to kill someone as if it were CoD), "you jump too high" (about Reach), "no killstreaks", "having a shield makes it too easy", and a few other things. I heard most of these while Halo 3 was still big.

Most people I know now IRL don't hate Halo, but they're disinterested because of Reach and/or Halo 4.

Ill be honest, if I were just now getting into Halo I would not have liked it either.  It is a pretty difficult game to do well at compared to games like COD where anyone can go in and get a few kills.

I always found it funny when people bring up the whole "It's not realistic" argument.  As if COD or any other game is realistic in the least.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo gets a lot of hate for many reasons.  First, the older arena shooter communities of Quake and Unreal Tournament view Halo as an arena shooter defect.  Since Halo was slower than the other arena shooters during it's prime, the other communities hated the fact that the majority of casuals left Quake and UT for the "easier" console Halo.  This is a very strong notion that still exists today.  If you ever bring up Halo in Quake forums for example you might as well as delete your account.  Second, Halo during it's reign was practically the only online console game that a lot of people played.  A lot of people hated Halo 2 specifically because it destroyed any competition that other online console games such as Rainbow Six or Conkers Live and Reloaded could throw at it.  Halo 2 killed variety in the XBL market.  Third, newer and easier games came out and now many players look at Halo the same way Halo players looked at Quake and Unreal Tournament.  As a old game that only "no lives" could play.

The summary: Halo is the middle ground between the old really hard shooters of Quake and UT, and the new shooters of CoD, Gears, Killzone, etc.  Both the older and newer communities see Halo at a negative light.  Because Halo was something different than those from both sides wanted.  Halo was Halo, and that's the gist of it.  Halo is it's own thing and that pretty much makes it an easy target for ridicule.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cause they played, got destroyed, complained, and went to COD. 

You have to have a competitive drive to be good at Halo. You have to WANT to improve. 

Unlike COD where you can hop on once a week and destroy. 

Ill be honest, if I were just now getting into Halo I would not have liked it either. It is a pretty difficult game to do well at compared to games like COD where anyone can go in and get a few kills.

I always found it funny when people bring up the whole "It's not realistic" argument. As if COD or any other game is realistic in the least.

It is not a realistic shooter where you drop when shot and that is half the reason I love halo. The other half is that the futuristic theme provides the cohesion for the futuristic armor so it feels realistically futuristic. And I am not trying to be funny with that tongue twister.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone has probably already touched on these points, but for the benefit of doubt, here goes.

PC shooter fans from the '90s and onward resent Halo because it has fragmented their communities or stolen potential newcomers.  They don't call Halo an arena shooter.  They bash on its arguably noob-friendly features such as gratuitous aim assist (sometime necessary) and regenerating shields and health.  Sometimes they're right, but sometimes they need to accept that Quake and Unreal Tournament aren't the only good competitive shooters out there.

There's Doom and Duke Nukem, too! :kappa:

Players of arcade shooters such as CoD dislike Halo because it's strange, and also it can be really slow at times, especially after Halo 1.  This is another reason why faster kill times (less than one second for the utility weapon) would be great: a means to draw in that hyperactive crowd.  And despite its many flaws, Halo is still very skillful; the learning curve causes inexperienced players to denounce the game.

Finally, there is the group that neither plays Halo nor cares about   shooters in general.  They hate Halo because they see others doing the same, particularly within our own community.  When someone who knows little of Halo apart from the story sees a vehement rant insulting the developers and the game itself relentlessly, that someone comes to the conclusion that the game sucks.  This is why we need to denounce the poorly made mechanics of each Halo game rather than the whole game or the developer.  First impressions matter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I highly respect your opinion perhaps more than anyone else's here. When you explained to me why you hated h3 it opened my eyes to see an aspect of FPS I had not given much thought to.

But again I am confused. The kill times now for h4 or reach are fine. I couldn't imagine cutting them in half and have anything close to the entertaining engagement we have today.

The kill times are still slow enough slow that if you are four-shot in the back of the head, you can still turn around and put some shots on your opponent. You will die if he has perfect shots, but you still slow the game down with the redundant damage that won't finish the kill (inb4 teamshot argument). The minimum kill time should be able to eliminate that threat before they can turn around, if[\b] you have really, really good shots. Think of it as an assassination back smack.

Instead of slowing things down and making them easier, things should be faster and more skillful. Balance power with skillfulness, that's what I always say.

Also look up chaosTheory's interview video with Scott "Gandhi" Lussier on UGC if you want some more Halo philosophy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The longer kill times slow the game down. It diminishes the power of the individual player, forces a reliance on having multiple players target the same individual, and in the absence of a team-shot it affords the shot at player the chance to run. In essence, it lowers the skill gap and makes for a more forgiving game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

futuristic theme provides the cohesion for the futuristic armor so it feels realistically futuristic. And I am not trying to be funny with that tongue twister.

suspension of disbelief basically