ThatTrueLegend

Why do a lot of people hate Halo?

Why are people such big haters of Halo? Like, I've never actually realized how much people hate Halo until reading some YouTube comments recently, it's crazy.

These kids in YouTube comments were just going off and on about how Halo takes no skill, and etc...

I'm assuming they've never actually played the game and they're just talking out their ass, but let's not assume, and actually see if there's a real logical reason besides the fact that "it's unrealistic" or "it takes no skill because you have a shield". 

Are people just fanboys of their games like we are to Halo or what?

I don't get it, and want to know what other people think.

I'm a HUGE Halo fanboy, but I'm not a huge hater of any other game out there. I'll just simply say "I don't like it." But when it comes to other people, it always seems like they always just talk shit on Halo. I could understand if it just simply wasn't their cup of tea, but people seem to bash it a shit ton.

And I'm curious as to why. 

Maybe because they're just 11 year old kids who love CoD, and are obviously irrational, but that'd be assuming once again.

Discuss.

EDIT: Probably should of taken "a lot of" out of the title, but whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would say they're just blinded fanboys to their game and are conditioned to hate Halo as it rivals (or used to rival) CoD.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The vast majority of that is people under the age of, let's say, 20 or so who grew up on "newer" games like Gears of War, CoD, etc.

The assumption (on their part) is that, because Halo doesn't have a million attachments and perks and upgrades, etc., and that it's core mechanics are leaner than most modern FPS games, that it is therefore is easy.

Which anyone who's played Halo for more than 5 minutes knows is utter bullshit, obviously. But it's the way the world works sometimes: it's trendy to hate on old shit, to a point, and then suddenly love it again when the pendulum swings and it "comes back into style" so to speak.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about people like that. Aside from being totally ignorant, they're all around total penises in general more often than not. Besides, that's all some people do on the internet: hate. Happens with pretty much everything, not just Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are people just fanboys of their games like we are to Halo or what?

There are definitely people who are just fanboys, but there are also people who halo doesn't appeal to, for one reason or another, and who have genuine issues with it that you probably wouldn't disagree with, but look past because what is there appeals to you.  Or some people just have personal issues with things like the art style, the pace of the game, the enemy design, the map design, or even the scale of combat. (many battlefield players must have trouble adjusting to smaller-scale games)

And of course not every game is for everybody, sci fi isn't for everybody, and shooters aren't for everybody.

Usually the people who have sincere problems with it beyond fanboyism aren't the ones posting nasty comments on youtube, though.

It's because they're bad at it. Call of Duty is just so appealing to fidgety youngsters because it's fast and easy. COD and now Bungie with Destiny too uses sth called instant combat resolution. You get in a fight and will die or get the kill (which usually is very straighforward and doesn't require much work).

Kids get frustrated when they need to actually think during the game and work hard for the kill. They also get frustrated when the combat ends up a draw with noone dying.

I should say I'm talking fps kids. Theres a whole other group of gamers who enjoy tactical gaming, like the Starcraft crowd.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I would wager that a lot of the hate you see online (YouTube, message boards, etc.) are CoD fans.  These CoD fans hate on Halo for the same main reason that Halo fans hate on CoD; it's not their favorite game/shooter.  

Granted, I think there are a lot of reasons to prefer Halo over CoD, with the skill requirement being the biggest reason.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why are people such big haters of Halo? Like, I've never actually realized how much people hate Halo until reading some YouTube comments recently, it's crazy.

These kids in YouTube comments were just going off and on about how Halo takes no skill, and etc...

yeah......I ad-block YouTube Comments for a reason 

It's because they're bad at it. Call of Duty is just so appealing to fidgety youngsters because it's fast and easy. COD and now Bungie with Destiny too uses sth called instant combat resolution. You get in a fight and will die or get the kill (which usually is very straighforward and doesn't require much work).

Kids get frustrated when they need to actually think during the game and work hard for the kill. They also get frustrated when the combat ends up a draw with noone dying.

I should say I'm talking fps kids. Theres a whole other group of gamers who enjoy tactical gaming, like the Starcraft crowd.

Simply put, this. 

Although back in the day Halo was bigger than 90% FPS titles out there and everyone talked and loved Halo, now it's between BF and CoD.

I hear "it takes too long to kill people" way too much.

One thing I can see pissing off reach and 4 players is the fact that there's no party matching or ranking system so a bunch of random new players will often match full teams. By the way this is another reason why a ranking system is so important but I've seen casuals not want one for some reason.

If I played Halo like some of the people I see playing, I'd hate it too.

It's like if I crashed a vehicle every time I got behind the wheel, I wouldn't like driving all that much.

• Upvote (+1) 2

People who don't play Halo have a hard time understanding it. People get angry at things they don't understand on the internet. 

-because they like twitch shooters

-because they're on playstation

-because its slower

-because they like military over sci-fi shooters

-because its harder to get into

-because they're unfamiliar/never played it

a lot of reasons, but keep in mind the most played fps, COD, is also one of the most hated haha just overall a lot of hate in the fps community lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because kids these days dont know what a true FPS is.

They just want to have everything easy for them to go and unlock, and not take time to understand the game and work at it. Halo is one of the only FPSs on console you have to work at just a bit to get decent at it. Kids love having it easy on them so alls they have to do it run corners and blast away, which can be fun in some cases. If its hard, they hate it. And most kids dont play FPSs for the story/campaign..they just are miltiplayer try hards.

I hear "it takes too long to kill people" way too much.

One thing I can see pissing off reach and 4 players is the fact that there's no party matching or ranking system so a bunch of random new players will often match full teams. By the way this is another reason why a ranking system is so important but I've seen casuals not want one for some reason.

Crazy how long killtimes is something alot of us complain about too. Feeling powerless sucks and shooting someone for a very long amount of time and watching them ghandi hop away is irritating no matter how long you play the game.

because the internet is a cesspool of hate and anger? seriously when was the last time you saw Youtube comments that weren't negative or inflammatory?

honestly if you want to hear what people really think then ask friends/family or really just about anyone outside of the internet and you'll likely hear more satisfying answers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because since the launch of the 360/PS3 generation, when console gaming REALLY took off, Halo has been absolute shit. It's no surprise people hate halo when we have seen nothing but garbage for the last 7 years.

If i didn't enjoy CE & H2 so much, i would have lost all hope for Halo shortly after H3 was released, and never looked back. Cause really, halo for the most part is a shit game. Campaign's in my opinion are terrible, nearly as bad as Destiny's campaign/story. And since H2, Halo hasn't been a enjoyable online experience for most people.

As a whole, i hate the halo franchise. If it wasn't for Halo 2, and then meeting a awesome group of "local" people to Play NBNS Reach with, i would have walked away from it all a long time ago. Well, MCC would be bringing me back anyways because of CE & Halo 2 on dedi's. But yeah, I give Halo as a franchise, 4/10 at most.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In real life, I get a lot of "Oh, another Halo game, cool, not" 

I remember being at a cosplay convention at one point and I remember talking to someone about the game they were playing and they were like "uh yeah this is Call of Duty... whatever" and I got giggly and stuff, I think the gaming industry has become far too saturated for its own good, new IP's would be welcome.