Sign in to follow this  
elitenoob94

Who do you think is the GOAT?

Pistola would have passed ogre 2 in event wins if there were still events EASILY 

Where's the Bravo laughing gif when you need it

Ogre 2 is GOAT, best player right now is Pistola. Pistola is not the GOAT, he hasn't been around long enough to build the accolades even close to Ogre 2. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ogre 2 is GOAT, best player right now is Pistola. Pistola is not the GOAT, he hasn't been around long enough to build the accolades even close to Ogre 2.

/thread

A way beter discussion would be top 10 of all time

If you vote for anyone other than Ogre 2, people will -rep you lol. Pistola would have passed ogre 2 in event wins if there were still events EASILY 

-rep away kids

Ogre 2 had 20+event wins and 3 national championships before Pistola joined him, what had Pistola accomplished before he joined FB? 

I can make the same argument that Pistola+Roybox were not winning until they teamed with Ogre 2, his leadership and game knowledge is underrated. He understands team Halo and what it takes to build a winning team devoid of ego issues that have de-railed other Halo teams in the past.

Pistola wouldn't of won as much without Ogre 2 either. Plus Ogre 2 and FB would of racked up so many more wins in H2 if that game was continued on the circuit, he had to push the reset button and has shown he can win with different players in different Halo games better than anybody else.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's Ogre 2. Plain and simple. It's not even much of a contest. No one comes close to his list of career accomplishments, milestones, and achievements.

These posts are mostly coming from people who haven't competed at events / never did well... I can say without a doubt that Pistola is the best player I have ever played against at a tournament. 

With that said, there's a fine line between the "best" and the "greatest." Ogre 2 is definitely the GOAT, and will always be considered the GOAT of all console shooters. Winning events isn't / will never be an easy task, so accomplishing that feat 31 times will never be rivaled. 2gre possesses not only amazing skill, but what makes him so great is his game knowledge and anticipation of what will happen, or where to be... he's not "nerdy" like RyaNoob, but it's like he has a sixth sense that few players possess in the game. 

kbye

• Upvote (+1) 1

While Pistola may be the best player currently, there is no doubt that Ogre 2 is the GOAT.  31 event wins.  Never lost a 2v2 with his brother.  There's no competition, the title invariably goes to Ogre 2.  Should another player rack up more than 31 official event wins in any time span, I would reconsider, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Ogre 2. Seriously, how can it be anyone else? The amount of disrespect Ogre 2's given by some people is a tragedy.

Here's the thing. Despite popular belief, you can't carry someone to a first place finish. Saying Pistola is the sole reason why Ogre 2 has two more national championships is ignorant. Ogre 2 has two more national championships because of himself. Because he recognizes, not only what makes himself a great player, but what makes a great team. So Pistola showed up and he started winning tournaments again? No. That's not what happened. What happened was Ogre 2 had already built a team from the ground up. A team he knew could win, even after being on the same legendary squad for four years. He teamed with Victory X for the entirety of the 2009 season. Fearitself was also teaming with them for a good majority of that year. What did the community do? They shit on him, saying that he should retire the FB name, that Vic and Fear weren't worthy of teaming with him. What they needed was a fourth that complimented them. It took them an entire year to find one, but that entire time, nobody on the MLG forums even considered that Fear and Vic were capable of winning tournaments(even though Fear won two in 2008). Pistola was merely a final piece on a team that had already been built by Ogre 2 to win. A great team of three can't win without a great fourth. But a great fourth can't win without a great team of three.

The Instinct team in HR is a good example two duos coming together and making it seem like it should have happened years ago. Remember when I said a player can't be carried to a first place finish? A player can't be carried to 42-1.

Ogre 2 is hilariously enough, underrated these days. He's not flashy like he once was, instead has a very consistent and stable play style. A play style that other players can build around. He doesn't go major positive every game anymore but even when he does, nobody notices. But then people notice when Ogre 2 goes negative and they say he's washed up. It's the new crowd of Halo players. Their frame of reference is Pistola. But that's the difference. The old crowd can take a look at Pistola and know that he's a top 5 player of all time, some even say top 3, despite the fact that he's played in games that barely have a skill gap. The new crowd don't look at Ogre 2 and see the GOAT. They just see a guy who seems like nothing special. It's ignorance.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ogre 2.

The only argument that could be made against him is; If Halo wouldn't have died, and MLG had continued with Halo this whole time. Pistola may have surpassed 2gre in event wins, and possibly national titles. But my argument to that would be that 2gre would probably be on those teams... So... 2gre FTW.

This is probably literally impossible given that MLG was down to five-ish events per season - and because the smartest thing Pistola and Ogre 2 ever did was team up.

I know how many wins Tom has, but that doesn't change someones opinion on who they view being the GOAT. In fact, I know I'm going to get flamed for this but the Ogre twins are washed, and Pistola is in my eyes a reincarnation of their skill. As said in recent posts, if Halo were to be on the circuit longer, Justin would've passed Tom up. 

I kind of agree with this post. If there were a machine that made a pair of twins into one person then Ogre1+Ogre2=Pistola.

2gre is still the fucking  :goat:

Ogre 2. Seriously, how can it be anyone else? The amount of disrespect Ogre 2's given by some people is a tragedy.

Here's the thing. Despite popular belief, you can't carry someone to a first place finish. Saying Pistola is the sole reason why Ogre 2 has two more national championships is ignorant. Ogre 2 has two more national championships because of himself. Because he recognizes, not only what makes himself a great player, but what makes a great team. So Pistola showed up and he started winning tournaments again? No. That's not what happened. What happened was Ogre 2 had already built a team from the ground up. A team he knew could win, even after being on the same legendary squad for four years. He teamed with Victory X for the entirety of the 2009 season. Fearitself was also teaming with them for a good majority of that year. What did the community do? They shit on him, saying that he should retire the FB name, that Vic and Fear weren't worthy of teaming with him. What they needed was a fourth that complimented them. It took them an entire year to find one, but that entire time, nobody on the MLG forums even considered that Fear and Vic were capable of winning tournaments(even though Fear won two in 2008). Pistola was merely a final piece on a team that had already been built by Ogre 2 to win. A great team of three can't win without a great fourth. But a great fourth can't win without a great team of three.

The Instinct team in HR is a good example two duos coming together and making it seem like it should have happened years ago. Remember when I said a player can't be carried to a first place finish? A player can't be carried to 42-1.

Ogre 2 is hilariously enough, underrated these days. He's not flashy like he once was, instead has a very consistent and stable play style. A play style that other players can build around. He doesn't go major positive every game anymore but even when he does, nobody notices. But then people notice when Ogre 2 goes negative and they say he's washed up. It's the new crowd of Halo players. Their frame of reference is Pistola. But that's the difference. The old crowd can take a look at Pistola and know that he's a top 5 player of all time, some even say top 3, despite the fact that he's played in games that barely have a skill gap. The new crowd don't look at Ogre 2 and see the GOAT. They just see a guy who seems like nothing special. It's ignorance.

I feel like people think he's washed because he didn't perform in CoD that well.

Who thinks he is washed? He is a great player. I don't think he is the best player. I never have. He is definitely top 3 in the world though. All because something says he isn't the greatest preforming player in the game doesn't mean they're being disrespectful towards him and it doesn't mean he is washed up. 

EDIT: I see who called him washed. Sure, he might not be as good as he used to be at Halo. But keep in mind, he is playing Halo 3 online. And...they dont play and practice that game like they used to when it was on the circuit. If he practiced as much as he did back then now, he would be just as good if not better. 

When it comes to specific games this is who I think is the best player who played it. its my opinion so keep that in mind

Halo 1- didn't watch. too young and never heard of MLG

Halo 2- Ogre 2

Halo 3- Pistola

Halo Reach- Roy/formal

Halo 4- Kinda hard to put a name on anyone for this game. Such a bad game. Sat here thinking for a few minutes and cant even come up with anything

These posts are mostly coming from people who haven't competed at events / never did well... I can say without a doubt that Pistola is the best player I have ever played against at a tournament. 

have you played basketball professionally? what about football? i'm assuming nah...but you prolly have an opinion on who the greatest player is in either sports....right? now you see why the bolded has no place in this thread? you don't need to attend and event or place high to use your eyes and common sense to measure greatness.

When it comes to specific games this is who I think is the best player who played it. its my opinion so keep that in mind

Halo 1- didn't watch. too young and never heard of MLG

Halo 2- Ogre 2

Halo 3- Pistola

Halo Reach- Roy/formal

Halo 4- Kinda hard to put a name on anyone for this game. Such a bad game. Sat here thinking for a few minutes and cant even come up with anything

Halo 4 shouldn't really count for that much. Many pros and fans left the scene (including me) shortly after H4. I have no idea what the teams even were in H4 and the only events were small events. Nothing matched the large tournaments MLG use to host so the competition pool was much smaller. 

Ogre 2 has bee a dominant force throughout his career in Halo and his career has spanned all the major Halo tournament games (H1-Reach). Although Pistola is an amazing, amazing player, GOAT he is not. 

Walshy. Fanboy since 05 sorry

Same, Walshy was my favorite player but that doesn't mean he is objectively the greatest. It also does kind of matter to most people which Halo he was the greatest at, which is why comp merit does matter to alot of comp gamers when judging their respective series. Its part of the reason Smash players still play SSBM or Quake players still play Quake 3, the high skill ceiling is part of what makes it fun on a comp level and a real accomplishment to be great at as you can constantly improve your skill and be learning new things.

I am not sure if the "Wizard" play-style Pistola is known for would work in Halo CE for example, anticipatory skills and playing a control game are alot important than being to stay alive forever. I am sure he could adapt well but he would have to adjust his play-style accordingly like Ogre 2 had to with new Halo games. 

Not only has Tom "Ogre 2" Ryan won countless Halo events & championships, but he also has Shadow Run tournament wins under his belt as well.  I'm going to have to go with Ogre 2 on this one.

LAN'd with Tom twice in the past month or so, can confirm he is the GOAT boys.  He's MJ, you can all argue over who LeBron is, but they'll never be MJ.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's the thing. Despite popular belief, you can't carry someone to a first place finish. 

*cough* Maniac *cough*

I am not disagreeing with your main point, though. 2gre is  :goat:

For me Pistola is the king but Ogre 2 is set in stone.

Realistically Ogre 2 then Pistola but Pistola is my choice. What he's done in the time-frame and age he's done it in

*cough* Maniac *cough*

I am not disagreeing with your main point, though. 2gre is  :goat:

Just because Maniac is a mediocre player overall doesn't mean that he was carried at the one tourney that he won. Even mediocre players can have solid tourneys every once in a while. Besides, that was the 09 championships... it was weird. So that's more of an exception rather than the rule.