Sign in to follow this  
kikko9

About Armor customization

What kind of customization would you like to see on Halo 5?

I personally think that with Reach we (lol) reached the apex in terms of spartan customization.

What I'd personally like to see back on Halo 5 are:

- a lot of variants of the same helmet (and I'm not talking about shitty skins like on H4).

- a real "color editor". I don't want to use the same 4 fucking colors they give us every game.

- armor effect. Why don't they allow me to use flying hearts? :( they were so cute

- Playable Elite omg why did they disappear

- stop removing emblems please. There are some players who can't use the emblem they used on H2 because of I don't know why. I mean emblems identify you like your gamertag does.

I know this sounds more like a Halowaypoint post but I just love customization don't you?

• Upvote (+1) 1

removing elites was ironically one of the best things they did with halo 4, not only did it get rid of the problem with hitboxes, it also made it better customization wise because instead of working on different models they just went with a single version and expanded on it, frankly why anyone still thinks bringing back elites into MP is a good idea eludes me.

I really do miss armor effects though, inclement weather was easily the primary reason for me to even play reach in the first place and frankly considering the limited replayability value of halo 4 (got bored in about 2 days) I think armor effects would have been in dire need.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope the mark 6 helmet is already unlocked in h5

Dear 343i, I will never ever care about campaign, I don't play halo for single player, please give us the damn helmet right off the bat.

Also more emblems please, I see no reason why they can't have ~100 different emblems.

In terms of look, Halo 3 had the best customization by far. Everything looked Halo-ish (besides Hayabusa, but that was a nod to Ninja Gaiden). Reach's armor didn't look bad, but you never really changed your armor, you placed armor on-top of your default armor. It made all the Spartans look bulky (armor effects were ugly and got annoying quick as well). I liked the options for Halo 4, but holy shit, I felt like I was playing a Japanese game with those designs.

Linking armor unlocks to achievements in Halo 3 was the best way. So basically, this is what I want for Halo 5

• Halo 3-like design
  • Unlock armor via achievements
  • The same amount, if not more, options as Halo 4
And Elites and their hitboxes can go away forever. I've seen every pro-Elite argument. They're all basically this, "I just-I just like them, okay!" or "I was an Elite in Halo 2 and Halo 2 is awesome!", with no real reason why they shouldn't be gone.

- a real "color editor". I don't want to use the same 4 fucking colors they give us every game.

They can't do this. Players would match the color of the map and basically be invisible. It's why black hasn't returned.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I say unlock armor through a combination of progression, achievments, and in-game rank (this may be a stretch). My reasoning is that it's a well rounded distribution. In Reach it was too grind heavy, and while in 3 I thought it was pretty good, it was largley campaign based. Not to mention there's bound to be a ton more armor, so they can't all be in achievments.

Basic armor, just a little expansion from H3. I'm not big on all the fancy armor options, I like to keep it basic

I hope the mark 6 helmet is already unlocked in h5

Dear 343i, I will never ever care about campaign, I don't play halo for single player, please give us the damn helmet right off the bat.

Also more emblems please, I see no reason why they can't have ~100 different emblems.

That's the point of the helmet - to get people involved in campaign. Don't understand why somebody wouldn't want to play Halo campaigns, they're amazing. Even for people who prefer multiplayer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

removing elites was ironically one of the best things they did with halo 4, not only did it get rid of the problem with hitboxes, it also made it better customization wise because instead of working on different models they just went with a single version and expanded on it, frankly why anyone still thinks bringing back elites into MP is a good idea eludes me.

And Elites and their hitboxes can go away forever. I've seen every pro-Elite argument. They're all basically this, "I just-I just like them, okay!" or "I was an Elite in Halo 2 and Halo 2 is awesome!", with no real reason why they shouldn't be gone. They can't do this. Players would match the color of the map and basically be invisible. It's why black hasn't returned.

Two playable species with asymmetric base traits enhance asymmetric gametypes like Invasion. When the map, the spawns, the weapons, the vehicles, and the objectives are already placed in an asymmetric fashion, the species' base traits should be asymmetric as well.

I'm not suggesting playable Elites in every playlist because then the Elite hitbox has to be identical to a Spartan's, which would never work. I'm suggesting that asymmetric game types like Infection or Invasion benefit from the inclusion of a second species with unique base traits.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Less Armor than H4 but each armor feeling more distinct and unique from each other.

definitely better color selection.

Elites should only be playable in firefight versus and custom games.  in both cases they should have different base traits, hitboxes, and maybe even different new mechanics.

make new map DLC free, but make new armor DLC packs that you have to buy.

And most important thing: make your HUD change visuals depending on the helmet you're using.  This should be toggleable on each helmet, since some will always want the default HUD, but the visor outline should be significantly different on Rogue than on the Mark VI.

I think of all the things, that's the biggest thing to ask for.  but it's part of why I think there shouldn't be such a huge number of armors.

And of course, the attachment system from reach should come back, hopefully with more variety.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really do miss armor effects though, inclement weather was easily the primary reason for me to even play reach in the first place and frankly considering the limited replayability value of halo 4 (got bored in about 2 days) I think armor effects would have been in dire need.

A lot of Machinima directors use Elites to get the shots that they need. I don't care for Elites either. But they for others they have a reason to be in multiplayer.

A lot of Machinima directors use Elites to get the shots that they need. I don't care for Elites either. But they for others they have a reason to be in multiplayer.

That type of machinima is long dead though.

Two playable species with asymmetric base traits enhance asymmetric gametypes like Invasion. When the map, the spawns, the weapons, the vehicles, and the objectives are already placed in an asymmetric fashion, the species' base traits should be asymmetric as well.

I'm not suggesting playable Elites in every playlist because then the Elite hitbox has to be identical to a Spartan's, which would never work. I'm suggesting that asymmetric game types like Infection or Invasion benefit from the inclusion of a second species with unique base traits.

Invasion was fun because of the objectives, not the Elites. It can work just as fine without them.

I think Halo 3 did it best. The armors were simple, you had to unlock them through ranking up, playing campaign, finding things in the campaign, or doing specific things in the multiplayer. 

I didn't really like how in Reach and H4 I could be shooting at a guy and not even be able to tell what kind of armor he was wearing. I think a testament to how good the armor in Halo 3 was is the fact that when I'm playing that game in the short amount of time it takes to zoom in on an enemy and headshot him with a sniper, I can tell he's wearing a rogue helmet, katana chest, and CQB shoulders or something like that. That wasn't the case in any of the later Halos. There were too many types of armor and they were too detailed and similar to others. 

I know this probably won't happen but whatever. There's probably going to be at least 25 helmets alone. 

They could make some sweet armor permutations for DLC as well. Why they haven't done that, I don't know why. Full armor sets like how LoL has skins for champions. Could use that a method for bringing Halo 3 armor sets, such as Hayabusa (even though that was because of some link to Ninja Gaidan). I'd pay 1.99-2.99 for them, assuming the game is enjoyable enough for me to want to spend additional money on it.

They could make some sweet armor permutations for DLC as well. Why they haven't done that, I don't know why. Full armor sets like how LoL has skins for champions. Could use that a method for bringing Halo 3 armor sets, such as Hayabusa (even though that was because of some link to Ninja Gaidan). I'd pay 1.99-2.99 for them, assuming the game is enjoyable enough for me to want to spend additional money on it.

They added that Football-like armor in the Champions bundle

They added that Football-like armor in the Champions bundle

Yea but, going to the Halo section of the Xbox Store and actually buying armor settings for whatevver reason they exist.

Yea but, going to the Halo section of the Xbox Store and actually buying armor settings for whatevver reason they exist.

I rather the armor packs be included in map packs than being distributed in a microtransaction way.

I rather the armor packs be included in map packs than being distributed in a microtransaction way.

Have both? No reason it couldn't co-exist.

Have both? No reason it couldn't co-exist.

Because unlike LoL, Halo is $60, a game where microtransactions have no place in. If history tells us anything, it's when a non-F2P developer gets into the microstransaction, they realize how much money they are getting and it only gets worst for the consumer. They start cutting content or making it near impossible to unlock content in-game, encouraging us to buy it with real money. Forza is already in this shit hole. I rather 343 stick with map packs+bonuses, something that is worthwhile of our money.

Microstransactions in a non-F2P game should be a crime.

Because unlike LoL, Halo is $60, a game where microtransactions have no place in. If history tells us anything, it's when a non-F2P developer gets into the microstransaction, they realize how much money they are getting and it only gets worst for the consumer. They start cutting content or making it near impossible to unlock content in-game, encouraging us to buy it with real money. Forza is already in this shit hole. I rather 343 stick with map packs+bonuses, something that is worthwhile of our money.

Because history has shown it not have been done well, doesn't mean it can't be.

The MP could be free, micro transactions for the campaign(s), maps, armor perms, etc. Have designated unlocks for armor that cannot be bought. It can work, just need to be open to it. That would be what I would do.

The MP could be free, micro transactions for the campaign(s), maps, armor perms, etc. Have designated unlocks for armor that cannot be bought. It can work, just need to be open to it. That would be what I would do.

I'm going to pray tonight thanking the Halo gods that you're not part of 343

I'm going to pray tonight thanking the Halo gods that you're not part of 343

So you're going to tell me, there is no way possible that could work? There's be much more wide variety for DLC that can be done.

Edit: To say Microtransactions have no place is absurd, since they are already part of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't see why exactly microtransactions wouldn't work. It's an ancillary revenue cash flow that is attached to a finished product/service. The inclussion of microtransactions doesn't mean that the game purchased at $60 isn't complete, only that there are additional cosmetic changes that could be made through purchase. If you think about it, aren't map packs a form of ancillary revenue as well? Are gamers detered from purchasing the game at $60 knowing that an additional $15-30 will be around the corner for more content? No.

Your arguement lacks any fundamental basis. Your essentially saying that because the game comes at such a high price tag, that additional purchases shift the price-elasticity of the base product in a negative manner. You're arguing that the game isn't actually priced at $60, but at the price of $60 + $ of all possible future ancillary transactions. That simply isn't the case as microtransaction purchases, or what is available for purchase, does not take anything from the core game itself.

In short, having to pay for insignificant aesthetic changes is irrelevant to the price of the game. Microtransactions are perfectly viable, much in part due to the fact that they bring next to nothing to the game itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see why exactly microtransactions wouldn't work. It's an ancillary revenue cash flow that is attached to a finished product/service. The inclussion of microtransactions doesn't mean that the game purchased at $60 isn't complete, only that there are additional cosmetic changes that could be made through purchase. If you think about it, aren't map packs a form of ancillary revenue as well? Are gamers detered from purchasing the game at $60 knowing that an additional $15-30 will be around the corner for more content? No.

Your arguement lacks any fundamental basis. Your essentially saying that because the game comes at such a high price tag, that additional purchases shift the price-elasticity of the base product in a negative manner. You're arguing that the game isn't actually priced at $60, but at the price of $60 + $ of all possible future ancillary transactions. That simply isn't the case as microtransaction purchases, or what is available for purchase, does not take anything from the core game itself.

In short, having to pay for insignificant aesthetic changes is irrelevant to the price of the game. Microtransactions are perfectly viable, much in part due to the fact that they bring next to nothing to the game itself.

I'm talking about trends that microtrandactions start. Also, you and Lotto are arguing two different things where Lotto wants the multiplayer to be free with microtransactions, which I'm 100% against.

I'm talking about trends that microtrandactions start. Also, you and Lotto are arguing two different things where Lotto wants the multiplayer to be free with microtransactions, which I'm 100% against.

I no where stated I wanted that, I said it could. It was a simple hypothetical situation, also you said non-F2P games should have microtransactions so I was trying to work with you. Dont be so daft.