Sign in to follow this  
UE Realist

Bumper Jumper Question

I am an old school Halo guy and never transitioned to the now popular "Bumper Jumper" control scheme. Since seeing the Master Chief Collection being announced I have put some serious thought on making the transition to the new scheme. Has anyone else done this transition after putting years into the original default format? How long will it take until the "comfort zone" kicks in? Ive been using the "Jumper" schematic in Destiny to help prepare me and it's been tough. LOL

Really not worth it if you're planning on playing mostly H2 classic. But if you want to play H2A or H3 then I'd definitely recommend it. It took me about 2-3 weeks of playing on it everyday to get a comfortable feel for it. By the way the jumper on Destiny isn't really too similar to BJ on Halo. Only similarity is jump is left bumper

• Upvote (+1) 2

Really not worth it if you're planning on playing mostly H2 classic. But if you want to play H2A or H3 then I'd definitely recommend it. It took me about 2-3 weeks of playing on it everyday to get a comfortable feel for it. By the way the jumper on Destiny isn't really too similar to BJ on Halo. Only similarity is jump is left bumper

Yea I figured, I just want to get into the habit of thinking LB means jump instead of A. Its so natural for me to hit A without thinking when I need to reprogram my instincts to the bumper. I can see the advantages in terms of not having to take your fingers off the sticks when jumping.

Boxer should have reload"x" on a bumper and melee on the left trigger "b." bxr and dub shots for days.

Index finger for grenades n jumping. Middle finger for right bumper and ring/middle for right trigger

But thats should...

I switched to BJ in about 2011 or so, can't remember exactly when. But I noticed my game improved markedly. I don't even jump a lot for no reason, but when I do have to jump, it has saved me many times.

Although admittedly, my transition was made easier by virtue of the fact that I hadn't played Halo since Halo 2 so I didn't have a lot of fresh muscle-memory habits to break. Had I not, for all intents and purposes, skipped H3 during its prime, and the beginning of Reach, the transition would have likely been a lot more difficult.

I'll say this though: it only took me about a handful or two matches for me to get it down. Considering I'm way out of my prime, that's saying something lol.

Having done the switch myself fairly recently, i recommand it, i found it way more versatile. Also, you will not have dramatic changes in the control schemes switching from a title to another on the MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I jump back and forth between Halo games pretty frequently. I find it only takes a few games to really get used to it. I made the switch to BJ back when H3 was getting big. It took me about 3-4 hours playing nothing but custom games.

We made up some rules that didn't exist in the game such as you have to be constantly jumping. Also to get used to the melee button switch to RB, we made everything close quarters with constant jumping. 

It was the dumbest type of gameplay I think I've ever seen, but it was a great way to mass program your hands to the new scheme. As a disclaimer, I will say that you probably have more Halo experience than I did when I was making the switch, but I've been playing video games since about 1991 and always had the A=jump mentality and was able to overcome it. 

Well when I changed from the Default Halo 3 settings to 'Southpaw', it took about 15 or so games for me to be pretty much completely comfortable with it. I reckon it would be a similar time frame for you to learn the ins and outs of bumper jumper.

I play bumper jumper on Halo 2 vista, and its sad to say the button glitches "feel" easier but that doesnt mean they are easier. I just like bumper jumper. I hope bumper jumper doesnt impact h2 in a negative way like some people feel it will.

Like in the case of double shot, instead of having to move your finger to X whether it be your thumb, or your pointer finger(claw) its easier to hit B as opposed to moving all the way to X to double shot.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Im pretty comfortable now and I think Im going to ride with this configuration for a while. 

Thanks for the feedback guys! Im pretty comfortable now and I think Im going to ride with this configuration for a while. 

Ya I would hold off on trying to get comfortable with Bumper Jumper. I'd say if you if really wanted to switch button configs, it's looking like Boxer may be your best bet across all the titles in the MCC. I'll probably switch back to Boxer from Bumper Jumper soon.

Bumper jumper is great in H2A, the only complaint I have with it is that the Xbox One controllers have an interesting LB and RB and pressing that RB button is difficult as it is kind of sticky. (Just from experience) It could be the Xbox controller itself, but other than that I am in love with Bumper Jumper! 

I played Halo's 1 and 2 on default/boxer, and i was able to make the switch to Bumper Jumper without any issues.  It's hard to think back to the launch of H3, but I have been switching between H:CE and H3 recently (from Boxer to Bumper Jumper), and it probably takes me 5-10 games to where I don't hit the wrong buttons anymore.  I would think that the length of time it takes to get comfortable with a new controller scheme would vary by the individual.  I wouldn't worry about which scheme you will use in MCC, there are going to be universal layouts, so just use whichever one works best for you.  

It didn't take me that long to get used to it. Honestly a couple days and you'd be fine. 

depends, will you be playing h5 as well? because h5 will have spartan abilities, you might prefer a config that has the abilities on LB, instead of on A. not sure how regular those "spartan abilities" will be used, but its something to keep in mind ^^

if just MCC, bumper jumper is the best, unless you play claw.

I am using default and I am thinking of convert to Bumper Jumper. Tried last night with some Spartan Ops. Well, lol. Old habits are kind of hard to get over. I do notice the joy of jumping whenever I like to so perhaps doing a 25 episode run is in order to get use to it. 

I am using default and I am thinking of convert to Bumper Jumper. Tried last night with some Spartan Ops. Well, lol. Old habits are kind of hard to get over. I do notice the joy of jumping whenever I like to so perhaps doing a 25 episode run is in order to get use to it. 

Took me about a week to get use to it in H3 so just keep at it :D 

5 hours of effective game time is how much time I find is required to get fully accustomed to a radically different control scheme or mouse sensitivity.

5 hours of effective game time is how much time I find is required to get fully accustomed to a radically different control scheme or mouse sensitivity.

Bumper Jumper, however, is not radically different.

2-5 games and you'll have it.

though rarely in heat of the moment situations you'll accidentally press the wrong button.

It's easier to play a different game and come back to a new control scheme than just switching in between matches.

This may be true but there is no game to play but halo...... :)