belucheez

Game of Thrones Discussion

Where else would that information come from? Of course it's from the books.

Do you read the books? The foreshadowing makes it obvious of what's going to happen with Jon, and him joining the White Walkers is not it.

Jon is actually a Child of the Forest, I really don't see how you missed that? How embarrassing.

I did not read the books.

Also, you can get information or origins of characters not in the book/show/game etc. I was under the impression the information about the Night's King was limited to his appearances in the book.

Also, you can get information or origins of characters not in the book/show/game etc.

No you can't, apart from the recently released A World of Ice and Fire. I think you're underestimating how much backstory is in the books. If you're so interested in the character's backstories, read ASOIAF. It's all from there.

As a pure show watcher, I consider speculation based on the books to be spoilers... A lot of times, the stuff that happens in the books, happens in the show, just delayed or slightly different.

I did not read the books.

Also, you can get information or origins of characters not in the book/show/game etc. I was under the impression the information about the Night's King was limited to his appearances in the book.

Just so you know the nights king in the books is a completely different character than the one in the show. The leader of the white walkers is referred to as the Great Other in the books. That description you had of the nights king was the one in the books who was said by GRRM, is just a figure of the past like Bran the builder.

Also like Ender said jon can't become a WW but can become a wight possibly.

Jon is actually a Child of the Forest, I really don't see how you missed that? How embarrassing.

Eh, I doubt it. R+L=J is a more plausible theory, as Ned never was the cheating type.

And I'd assume that they will incinerate Jon's corpse, would be weird if they don't.

I may read the books now since the show is basically caught up to them from what I understand... I saw some spoilers for what supposedly hasn't been said yet while on reddit, so I figure I might as well read shit to get a better idea of the world.

As for what I saw on reddit:

Apparently Catelyn stark is... kind of alive. Weird really, I can't think of any reason for her to be alive really from what I've seen in the show, perhaps the books give some inclination before the reveal.

The other thing was the other Targaryen, Aegon. It seems he is making a claim for the Throne? I guess that's okay... just feels a little odd to thrust another character into the power cycle right after dismissing one.

Is there any other major stuff I would find in the books that isn't in the show? Other than stuff that has been changed.

There is a rather large Greyjoy storyline that has yet to be introduced.  That is probably the biggest thing.  

I may read the books now since the show is basically caught up to them from what I understand... I saw some spoilers for what supposedly hasn't been said yet while on reddit, so I figure I might as well read shit to get a better idea of the world.

As for what I saw on reddit:

Apparently Catelyn stark is... kind of alive. Weird really, I can't think of any reason for her to be alive really from what I've seen in the show, perhaps the books give some inclination before the reveal.

The other thing was the other Targaryen, Aegon. It seems he is making a claim for the Throne? I guess that's okay... just feels a little odd to thrust another character into the power cycle right after dismissing one.

Is there any other major stuff I would find in the books that isn't in the show? Other than stuff that has been changed.

Aegon is seeking to be Dany's husband more-so than the throne. He was going to meet here in Meereen, but Tyrion convinced him to impress her with an army of his own instead, so he went to Westeroes and is going to attempt to cause havoc, waiting for Dany to arrive.

There is a rather large Greyjoy storyline that has yet to be introduced.  That is probably the biggest thing.  

Forgot about them. I assume they team up with LF and destroy the boltons.

I don't consider backstory spoilers. Don't listen to these fools.

That's what I thought too - can't spoil things that happened already.

If you haven't read the books and really enjoy the show, do yourself a favor and just read them. They are infinitely better than the show. Even the ones that are considered "bad". Even if you are a slow reader you can probably get through all of them before the Winds of Winter is released. Amazon even sells the book set for like $26. And even if you know the plot from watching the show, there are plenty of characters which are entirely omitted from the show or some which are portrayed differently. And there are quite a few variations in the story which may surprise you. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is there a place to listen to all the GoT books on audio? 

Legally? Audible, your first book is for free, but then it's 19 bucks for each book. I'd just buy the books bundle instead as it's MUCH cheaper.

Having watched all the seasons over the last few months and not read the books it just all feels very same-y. Dont really get to spend much time with the characters apart from the moments where they push the plot along. The only ones with any depth are those from the beginning. Tyrion is probably the most interesting because he gets a lot of good dialogue. Jon Snow's death was pretty hilarious, why betray him after making the decision to let all the wildlings through the gate?

light lazy entertainment after work/10

Jon Snow's death was pretty hilarious, why betray him after making the decision to let all the wildlings through the gate?

Because being in the watch meant that the wildlings were enemies, regardless of the white walker threat. So Jon broke the oath that stood for thousands of years, thus he was betrayed.

Are the wildlings actually sworn enemies of the night's watch or were they just kind of adopted because they didn't have Others to fight anymore?

Because being in the watch meant that the wildlings were enemies, regardless of the white walker threat. So Jon broke the oath that stood for thousands of years, thus he was betrayed.

Yeah but Thorne still let them through the gate and then surreptitiously decided to shank Jon. Made no sense.

Yeah but Thorne still let them through the gate and then surreptitiously decided to shank Jon. Made no sense.

Leave them out beyond the wall to die and become walkers.

Or let them through, wait til everyone leaves, then betray him.

Makes sense if you think about it. 

so youre saying they agree with Jon's decision to let the wildlings through, which would mean there just killing him because what, they didnt like him?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Leave them out beyond the wall to die and become walkers.

Or let them through, wait til everyone leaves, then betray him.

Makes sense if you think about it. 

How does that make sense?  If they agreed that letting them through the wall was a better alternative to letting them die and become walkers then wouldn't they essentially be agreeing with Jon's thought process?  

• Upvote (+1) 1

There was no guarantee of Jon's death if Thorne had not let Jon and the wildlings back through the Wall. Thorne knew that Jon had scaled the Wall once before; there was a chance he could do it again and let the wildlings through himself. Given that he executed a well-liked member of the Watch in Janos Slynt for disobeying orders, among other things, the safer course of action (regarding Thorne's life) was to let them pass through and attack Jon once he was alone.