iWatty

Best Halo Players of All Time

OMG THIS PICTURE. Where did you find this lol?

Googled his name lol. Now if only I could find his Ascension Ninja Tactics video.

My Top 10

1. Ogre 2

2. Pistola

3. Walshy

4. Ogre 1

5. Roy

6. T2

7. Snipedown

8. Gandhi

9. Elamite Warrior

10. Lunchbox

• Upvote (+1) 1

In terms of impact on the game, Ogres and Walshy revolutionized Halo 2v2 and 4v4 and were the "firsts" to do so many things in the game that impact goes beyond just stats. I know there were some other HCE pros(TDT) who were probably just as impactful in terms of developing the meta and innovating the game, but I dont see any other team who impacted the game as substantially.

You have to remember this was before the "Twitch and social media age" we live in today where the optimal strategy to Lockout Ball or how to position yourself on Prisoner 2v2 would be common knowledge to most top teams at the click of a button. When players went to events it might truly be the first time they see a strategy or a way a team plays. This in my opinion, is something that Halo is missing today as its just not as exciting to watch when no major change in the meta really occurs or no new player emerges and shocks us like Karma or Ghost did in 06' by displaying a new play-style. Truly the "godfathers" of Halo.

In terms of a modern innovator(H3 and on) Pistola could be the most impactful player just because he brought a new style to the game and showed everyone how to play modern Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In terms of impact on the game, Ogres and Walshy revolutionized Halo 2v2 and 4v4 and were the "firsts" to do so many things in the game that impact goes beyond just stats. I know there were some other HCE pros(TDT) who were probably just as impactful in terms of developing the meta and innovating the game, but I dont see any other team who impacted the game as substantially.

You have to remember this was before the "Twitch and social media age" we live in today where the optimal strategy to Lockout Ball or how to position yourself on Prisoner 2v2 would be common knowledge to most top teams at the click of a button. When players went to events it might truly be the first time they see a strategy or a way a team plays. This in my opinion, is something that Halo is missing today as its just not as exciting to watch when no major change in the meta really occurs or no new player emerges and shocks us like Karma or Ghost did in 06' by displaying a new play-style. Truly the "godfathers" of Halo.

In terms of a modern innovator(H3 and on) Pistola could be the most impactful player just because he brought a new style to the game and showed everyone how to play modern Halo.

I could say the same thing about XBL

After reading Cursed Lemon's post, it's inspired me to create a list of my own, but instead of a top 10 I'm going to talk about a top 3 from multiple area's of the game like, overall skill, sniper, 1v1, ect.

Overall - The best there is ranking everything you can think of.

• Ogre 2 - Duh.
  • Walshy - Do I need to speak for him as well, nah.
  • Strongside - Picking the 3rd person wasn't as obvious as I thought it would be. Ultimately, my decision led me to Strongside due to success over multiples titles, national wins, plenty of event wins, great individual skill, check his placing for FFA in H2, as well as team skill. Other than the Ogres and Walshy, there aren't many players who can claim this much success over multiple games
  • Honorable Mention - Tsquared - Some might not agree with me here but I believe he is top 5 easily due to a few things like success over multiple titles, national wins as well as a few event wins and the expose he generated for the Halo community.

Strategist - Who were the smarted players

• Walshy - Captained the greatest Halo team to the most events wins in history. Even when the team was beat, he learned how to overcome the loss and win again - losing to '06 Carbon for example. Even when he wasn't winning events, every team he joined he managed to improve their winning chances - '09 Carbon for example.
  • Pistola - If you've watched him play over the last 8 years you'd know he's one of the smartest players when it comes to combat. 98 out of 100 times he's making the best decision he can for his team or his own life. It's rare to see players this talented who can not only tear your team apart but are also incredibly difficult to kill.
  • Shockwave - Dethroning of the infamous Final Boss in 2006 - nuff said.
  • Honorable Mention - ElamiteWarrior - I was going to have Shockwave as my HM but after looking through the names and thinking about who was worthy of the number 3 spot, I couldn't put anyone else in the number 3 spot. Now this leads me to Elamite. Great teammate, tons of wins, success in multiple games, capable of coaching great teams and overall a very solid player. Elamite doesn't get thrown into discussion more enough.

Up and coming - Who had great success in short amount of time establishing legitimacy

• Snipedown - First event, 7th place. Second event, 2nd place. Third event, 1st place. 4th Event, 1st place WITH a different team. From my knowledge, no player has come close to doing what Snipedown did in 2008.
  • RoyBox - 5k in Halo 2. First event, 4th place. They would place outside of the top 8 once in 2007 and would never place outside of the top 8 again. Wouldn't get their first win until 2010 but during that time they had many top 2 finished and took many teams to the brink of elimination.
  • Walshy - First event, top 8, the next 9 events would all be 1st place finishes. Walshy would go on a 4 year tear not finishing outside of the top 2 until 2008. You could argue Walshy had a better up and coming than anyone else however, due to the popularity of the games back then, I believe the competition was much stiff during Halo 3.
  • Honorable Mention - Lethul - I gave this one to Lethul because it only took him two events to get his first win and then he repeated the next event with a different team just like Snipedown, not many players can say they've repeated event wins let alone with a different team. However, if I were to choose another player to give this to, you could argue Saiyan or Shockwave.

Most Underrated  - Title says it all, players who don't always get the credit they deserve.

• Victory X - This was a no brainier for me. Never placed outside of the top 8 more than a few times. His worst placing is 14th which was his first event ever. He's also got a 3-peat with a national title at the end of that. With his long reign in the top 8 of Halo and his consistency, Victory X is definitely one of the best to play the game. I think due his non flashy plays, as well as staying out of the lime light most of the time played a major factor into why he went unnoticed a lot.
  • Defy - A long time veteran who does have a couple of event wins under his belt that just never seem to get much recognition. I thought during Halo 3 he was a fantastic player that was always consistent too. I think due to him never getting another win during the rest of his playing time lead to a lot of people just over looking him as a solid player.
  • Mackeo - Although his gaming career was short lived, people only tend to remember the faces he would make during games. But, looking past those faces, Mackeo was a solid player to have, especially if you look at his placings. His worst placings was top 16 right before he retired.

Best Trash Talk - "I got some toilet paper for you T2."

1. Gandhi - No one else even comes to mind on the best trash talk

2. Walshy - In H2 trash talk was much more prevalent and Walshy was extremely good and getting in your head during the game. I mean, who doesn't remember T2 needles? During H3 his trash talk was still there, but it was more PG and family friendly if you will.
  3. Everyone Else  - Maybe my memory doesn't serve me well but I don't remember anyone else having a strong presence in the trash talk area. Random players would randomly talk trash during events, no one was quite as consistent as Gandhi and Walshy.

Most Exciting - Who gets you the most pumped?!

1. Naded - Everyone's favorite long time, non winning, insane snipes, raw talent, Halo player. One of the few players people can get really excited to watch.
  2. Snipedown - Just like Naded, the dude is full of raw talent and seems to pull off incredible plays.
  3. Pistola - Fan favorite, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like him or at least doesn't enjoy his game play.
  4. Honorable Mention - OG players - I'm talking about players like Shockwave, Gandhi, 2ger, Walshy, the players who have been around for a long time. Seems like no matter what team they're on, or who they're playing with, people get hyped.

I think I'm done for now, I'll come up with some more top 3 later.

• Upvote (+1) 2

After reading Cursed Lemon's post, it's inspired me to create a list of my own, but instead of a top 10 I'm going to talk about a top 3 from multiple area's of the game like, overall skill, sniper, 1v1, ect.

Overall - The best there is ranking everything you can think of.

• Ogre 2 - Duh.
  • Walshy - Do I need to speak for him as well, nah.
  • Strongside - Picking the 3rd person wasn't as obvious as I thought it would be. Ultimately, my decision led me to Strongside due to success over multiples titles, national wins, plenty of event wins, great individual skill, check his placing for FFA in H2, as well as team skill. Other than the Ogres and Walshy, there aren't many players who can claim this much success over multiple games
  • Honorable Mention - Tsquared - Some might not agree with me here but I believe he is top 5 easily due to a few things like success over multiple titles, national wins as well as a few event wins and the expose he generated for the Halo community.

Strategist - Who were the smarted players

• Walshy - Captained the greatest Halo team to the most events wins in history. Even when the team was beat, he learned how to overcome the loss and win again - losing to '06 Carbon for example. Even when he wasn't winning events, every team he joined he managed to improve their winning chances - '09 Carbon for example.
  • Pistola - If you've watched him play over the last 8 years you'd know he's one of the smartest players when it comes to combat. 98 out of 100 times he's making the best decision he can for his team or his own life. It's rare to see players this talented who can not only tear your team apart but are also incredibly difficult to kill.
  • Shockwave - Dethroning of the infamous Final Boss in 2006 - nuff said.
  • Honorable Mention - ElamiteWarrior - I was going to have Shockwave as my HM but after looking through the names and thinking about who was worthy of the number 3 spot, I couldn't put anyone else in the number 3 spot. Now this leads me to Elamite. Great teammate, tons of wins, success in multiple games, capable of coaching great teams and overall a very solid player. Elamite doesn't get thrown into discussion more enough.

Up and coming - Who had great success in short amount of time establishing legitimacy

• Snipedown - First event, 7th place. Second event, 2nd place. Third event, 1st place. 4th Event, 1st place WITH a different team. From my knowledge, no player has come close to doing what Snipedown did in 2008.
  • RoyBox - 5k in Halo 2. First event, 4th place. They would place outside of the top 8 once in 2007 and would never place outside of the top 8 again. Wouldn't get their first win until 2010 but during that time they had many top 2 finished and took many teams to the brink of elimination.
  • Walshy - First event, top 8, the next 9 events would all be 1st place finishes. Walshy would go on a 4 year tear not finishing outside of the top 2 until 2008. You could argue Walshy had a better up and coming than anyone else however, due to the popularity of the games back then, I believe the competition was much stiff during Halo 3.
  • Honorable Mention - Lethul - I gave this one to Lethul because it only took him two events to get his first win and then he repeated the next event with a different team just like Snipedown, not many players can say they've repeated event wins let alone with a different team. However, if I were to choose another player to give this to, you could argue Saiyan or Shockwave.

Most Underrated  - Title says it all, players who don't always get the credit they deserve.

• Victory X - This was a no brainier for me. Never placed outside of the top 8 more than a few times. His worst placing is 14th which was his first event ever. He's also got a 3-peat with a national title at the end of that. With his long reign in the top 8 of Halo and his consistency, Victory X is definitely one of the best to play the game. I think due his non flashy plays, as well as staying out of the lime light most of the time played a major factor into why he went unnoticed a lot.
  • Defy - A long time veteran who does have a couple of event wins under his belt that just never seem to get much recognition. I thought during Halo 3 he was a fantastic player that was always consistent too. I think due to him never getting another win during the rest of his playing time lead to a lot of people just over looking him as a solid player.
  • Mackeo - Although his gaming career was short lived, people only tend to remember the faces he would make during games. But, looking past those faces, Mackeo was a solid player to have, especially if you look at his placings. His worst placings was top 16 right before he retired.

Best Trash Talk - "I got some toilet paper for you T2."

1. Gandhi - No one else even comes to mind on the best trash talk

2. Walshy - In H2 trash talk was much more prevalent and Walshy was extremely good and getting in your head during the game. I mean, who doesn't remember T2 needles? During H3 his trash talk was still there, but it was more PG and family friendly if you will.
  3. Everyone Else  - Maybe my memory doesn't serve me well but I don't remember anyone else having a strong presence in the trash talk area. Random players would randomly talk trash during events, no one was quite as consistent as Gandhi and Walshy.

Most Exciting - Who gets you the most pumped?!

1. Naded - Everyone's favorite long time, non winning, insane snipes, raw talent, Halo player. One of the few players people can get really excited to watch.
  2. Snipedown - Just like Naded, the dude is full of raw talent and seems to pull off incredible plays.
  3. Pistola - Fan favorite, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like him or at least doesn't enjoy his game play.
  4. Honorable Mention - OG players - I'm talking about players like Shockwave, Gandhi, 2ger, Walshy, the players who have been around for a long time. Seems like no matter what team they're on, or who they're playing with, people get hyped.

I think I'm done for now, I'll come up with some more top 3 later.

You've really done your research, eh  :Halo:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was thinking about Vic X and Defy while making my list. Definitely underrated. 

VicX for sure. specifically because he's won multiple events. Spectators only remember the trash talk, clutch plays or dirty plays.

I could say the same thing about XBL

True, I feel like all the Wiki Walk-throughs and advantages gamers have today to easily learn games kind of ruin the excitement/challenge of having to figure games out on your own, and people are mastering games much faster as a result.

You would think developers would be able to make more challenging games appeal to a broader audience as a result, but its been the opposite. Even games like Dark Souls are not that hard when you have tutorials for every boss, and walk-throughs for every level available to you.  The same goes for MP gaming, some of my fondest memories were of discovery through experimentation and learning stuff like "superbouncing/button glitches" from other people online, I dont feel like modern games are as "new" to me as a result as they were in those days.

True, I feel like all the Wiki Walk-throughs and advantages gamers have today to easily learn games kind of ruin the excitement/challenge of having to figure games out on your own, and people are mastering games much faster as a result.

You would think developers would be able to make more challenging games appeal to a broader audience as a result, but its been the opposite. Even games like Dark Souls are not that hard when you have tutorials for every boss, and walk-throughs for every level available to you.  The same goes for MP gaming, some of my fondest memories were of discovery through experimentation and learning stuff like "superbouncing/button glitches" from other people online, I dont feel like modern games are as "new" to me as a result as they were in those days.

That has less to do with accessibility and more with the fact that halos meta has not undergone any real changes for a long time. Its pretty easy to figure out "new" maps when they are just rehashed versions of old ones whether in design trait or literal remake. We have had midship for 10 years now, i dont think its too rediculous to expect most players to have figured it out by now.

Top 5

1. Ogre 2

2. Walshy

3. Ogre 1

4. Pistola

5. StrongSide

The Other 15 in no particular order

Gh0s7ayame

Legit

Naded

Roy

Lunchbox

Richie Heinz

Saiyan

Shockwave

Snip3Down

Elamite Warrior

Ace

T2

Neighbor

Zyos

Honorable Mentions in no particular order

Victory X

FearItself

Hysteria

Gandhi

SK HaloGod

Mackeo

All of these are opinionated, coming from a 14  year old. Yeah. I know.

That has less to do with accessibility and more with the fact that halos meta has not undergone any real changes for a long time. Its pretty easy to figure out "new" maps when they are just rehashed versions of old ones whether in design trait or literal remake. We have had midship for 10 years now, i dont think its too rediculous to expect most players to have figured it out by now.

Midship was not in HR or H4, so I dont know why people keep saying that. I dont consider Onyx or whatever the "Mid-ship-like" map in that game to be Mid-ship especially when there is sprint in the game.

I do think is room for innovation in the Halo formula but I think it has to be an actual improvement/natural evolution of the classic Halo formula not a replacement. I dont see things like AA's, weapon load-outs, and sprint as a "natural evolution" or increasing the depth of the game at high levels and that has been the problem with Halo MP innovation. It might of semi-worked at the casual level when most games are chaotic as is, but the intermediate/top level wasn't considered and it didn't fit in with an Arena-style FPS aimed at making you work for map control and weapon advantages.

RippinHeads vs. terry15 in a 1v1 with rumble pit settings.

Also, any list that doesn't have Karma on it somewhere is automatically wrong.

I'm down for it ;) x

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1. 2gre

2. Pistola

3. Walshy

4. Roy

5. Ogre 1

6. Lunchbox

7. Snipedown

8. Strongside

9. Karma

10. Elamite

Top part of this list was easy, but the bottom was hard as hell. Really wanted to throw in some of the CE gods like Killer N, but it didn't feel right considering how heavily I weighted longevity and consistency.

Edit: Forgot one of the twins  :wutface:

Baffles me that people include 2gre and walshy and then dont have 1gre on their list lol. Those 3 have the top 3 spots locked in for a long time. Id have pistola and roy after them in that order.

• Upvote (+1) 2

7. Strongside

8. Karma

9. Legit

10. Elamite

Karma over Elamite?  Karma stopped mattering after Halo 2 while Elamite kept being on of the best players.

He should maybe be above Strongside as well for the same reason.

Baffles me that people include 2gre and walshy and then dont have 1gre on their list lol. Those 3 have the top 3 spots locked in for a long time. Id have pistola and roy after them in that order.

I actually forgot Ogre 1, tbh.

Karma over Elamite?  Karma stopped mattering after Halo 2 while Elamite kept being on of the best players.

He should maybe be above Strongside as well for the same reason.

But Karma won an event in H3, as did Strongside. So they were hardly irrelevant. Also they were to H2 what Ola and Roy were to H3, the 1a and 1b of individual skill. You just didn't try to challenge those guys in a 1v1.

Elamite is one of my favorite players, and there's probably a notable Instinct bias on my list. I felt like a homer even putting him on this list.

I never liked lists like these. Online warriors are never ever mentioned, and I am not thinking about myself. There are people out there that constantly knocks out pros from online Tournaments and beats them in online matches. 

• Downvote (-1) 5

Karma probably has the greatest single year of Halo ever, so he should be on everyone's list. And before you idiots respond, YES, a year like Karma had in 2006 is enough to put him on your list.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why is there no Love for Neighbour? The kid fucking destroys at this game.

I was wondering. 2gre is no doubt the GOAT, best Halo player. But would I be wrong to say Walshy is the most recognisable to casuals and people from outside of Halo bubble?