Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

Black Tusk Studio's New IP Next "Halo"

First off, before you dismiss another game as trying to compete as "the next halo", you have to realize the studio who is making this claim has hired the lead developer who MADE Halo CE. This is the same developer who LEFT production of Halo 2 to work on Shadowrun for roughly 5 years because he wanted to focus on creating a highly competitive FPS title... so keep that in mind.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with whatever information I can find out about Black Tusk Studio's new IP title. Unfortunately the teaser at E3 didn't do it any justice in terms of telling us anything about the game, but I'm sure we'll find out more in the future. I can do my fair share of speculating, and have been following black tusk's movement as close as I can in these past few months, however they're keeping things quite the secret.

For now, I'll post the teaser video as well as some speculation I had and have had over the course of the announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DXsJdTJQIFA

While the teaser tells us nothing, two things stand out in my mind. They're also HUGE assumptions. First is the uniforms of the man in the video reminds me slightly of the RNA corporation from Shadowrun. Second, is the pistol that they show. John's had a thing about creating powerful and utility pistols that come with a degree of difficulty. In both titles he made the weapon have an ability to be a hold out weapon, although the effect in shadowrun comes with tech skills and pacing.

Third speculation comes from reading online reports of them not being able to showcase more because of a lot of difficulties they've had in creating the game. Shadowrun was in a similar position because of the difficulties they had in multiple areas.. balance of weapons/skills etc... but mostly the use of teleport. Being able to teleport smoothly was extremely difficult to code and it created frustration when developing levels, since teleport can be used through walls floors objects and ceilings.

I'm very much hoping that we see true successor to the Shadowrun FPS, although they won't be able to use the name shadowrun, which is a good thing. 

Like I said, HUGE speculation... but I'm looking forward to what a studio with a ridiculous amount of money can do when they have John as a lead developer.

Before E3, Black Tusk's IP was #1 in terms of hype for me. Was disappointed that's all we got. I'm not sure if MS have commented on a release date but judging by the lack of info now, I'm guessing not at launch. Halo 5 (2014) and Black Tusk's IP are really the only exclusives I care about and won't be available for a while. That really set in stone for me to not get an X1 at launch when I already have a high-end rig (Titanfall and Battlefield 4).

As for the speculations in the OP, they're likely and makes sense. I don't think it's going to be as similar to Shadowrun as you apply though. The short glimpse of the setting we got from the teaser had no similarities to Shadowrun. They'll for sure be elements from the FPS Shadowrun and Halo: CE, but I think it's going to stand on it's own as a fresh title.

I am hoping we get a lot more info on this game before E3 2014.

The speculation is a long shot for sure. Other than there being both a lot of darkness and stealth in shadowrun's opening video,  there really isn't anything to compare on.

I'm pretty disappointed too that there isn't much more to go off of. I'm also hoping they take their time and make sure everything is right before they launch the game. There were multiple reasons for shadowrun's death... $60 price tag for a multiplayer only disc with maybe 12 maps and 4 classes. Using the name "shadowrun" when it was already established as a tabletop RPG. Competing with Halo 3. And the fact that FASA shut down and couldn't do any DLC's, despite the fact that new maps and a new class were already in certification :(

My inner "fanboy" tells me that if John Howard is lead developer on a new IP title at microsofts biggest in house studio, that he'll probably utilize that to shake things up a bit. I think he worked on Prey 2, which I can't comment on. I never played it, but his FPS games have always been revolutionary.

Yeah at the conference when they announced this....I was expecting some actually game play to get a gist of what the game is like, not 20 second teaser.

Well I also was really hyped for Black Tusk's IP and expected more than the teaser we got..... and honestly the teaser puts me really off :/ The direction is nothing like I expected and I already lost some interest.   Hope we get something the next months

I never played Shadowrun so I don't have the same hype level as you guys.

It's $5 new. There's usually at least one lobby up at any time on any day, usually 2-5 up. There are tournaments and "king of the map" 2v2's as well as katana battles that happen frequently. The game has a dedicated community so it's worth picking it up if you're a fan of competitive FPS games.

@ Inxy - We don't know just yet what exactly they mean by creating the next halo. Personally I just think they mean the next big future shooter. I don't expect books tv shows or the same level of reception. Hey they could always set their bar low and make the next Halo 4.

edit: I'm guessing because it's more of a stealthy intro, people are claiming that this could be something in the Syphon Filter series. Not a bad series, but not that great either. Unless they revamp the series it'd be rather stale in todays standards.

It's $5 new. There's usually at least one lobby up at any time on any day, usually 2-5 up. There are tournaments and "king of the map" 2v2's as well as katana battles that happen frequently. The game has a dedicated community so it's worth picking it up if you're a fan of competitive FPS games.

@ Inxy - We don't know just yet what exactly they mean by creating the next halo. Personally I just think they mean the next big future shooter. I don't expect books tv shows or the same level of reception. Hey they could always set their bar low and make the next Halo 4.

edit: I'm guessing because it's more of a stealthy intro, people are claiming that this could be something in the Syphon Filter series. Not a bad series, but not that great either. Unless they revamp the series it'd be rather stale in todays standards.

I'll definitely check it out. 

Yeah when I first saw the trailer the dude looked like Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter. Yeah Syphon Filter would have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

and honestly the teaser puts me really off :/ The direction is nothing like I expected and I already lost some interest. 

I feel the same. I was hoping it would have been in a fantasy setting. Those shooters are always more fun because there aren't that many limitations unlike ones that aim to be realistic.

According to John Howard's LinkedIn Profile he is currently a Creative Director at Microsoft in Redmond.  Now I could very well see him working closely with Black Tusk in Vancouver but he may not be as involved as you hope he is.  Unless you have other sources that prove otherwise, his influence on the studio and their new IP can only be assumed.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jchoward

Here is the link to his profile.

According to John Howard's LinkedIn Profile he is currently a Creative Director at Microsoft in Redmond.  Now I could very well see him working closely with Black Tusk in Vancouver but he may not be as involved as you hope he is.  Unless you have other sources that prove otherwise, his influence on the studio and their new IP can only be assumed.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jchoward

Here is the link to his profile.

I actually signed in to write something similar. When the first rumors started popping up there were a bunch of sites listing he was working with black tusk studios. I ended up bringing that information over to the Halo Council a while back and nothing more came up from it. Then I posted about it another time and someone questioned me for sources. I went back to all these sites I had saved and just about every single one had been removed. I was able to find maybe one or two sources that were poorly worded and had no information.

It wasn't until last week did I hear that the lead developer on Black Tusk Studios was actually the previous lead dev from Crysis 2. I was still hoping that howard was involved somehow.

Not gonna lie, I'm losing hope that this has something to do with John Howard.

I tweeted someone earlier today who seemed to know a bit more about Black Tusk Studios asking if he knew anything about howards involvement... he thought I was talking about australia's prime minister :(

What I do know is John Howard does work in Redmond in an studio with no more information than that. I do know others work in a studio in Redmond but I'm unaware if those are separate projects. 

Redmond studio contains:

Alex Liu - former Naughty Dog Game Designer on Uncharted 3 and worked on The Last of Us

Don Norbury - former Irrational Games AI Lead on Bioshock Infinite

Clint Bundrick - former Irrational Games Combat Design Director and Principal Combat Designer on Bioshock Infinite

Joseph Faulstick - former Irrational Games Producer on Bioshock Infinite and Bioshock1

Ian Vogel - former Irrational Games Senior Designer on Bioshock 1 and Game Designer on System Shock 2

John Howard - former Halo Combat Evolved Lead Designer

One problem is that Microsoft Studios' HQ is in Redmond.. so who knows what he's working on. I know black tusk is right down the road bout an hour away.. I'm really hoping they're utilizing him, since they mentioned how Black Tusk has the right to borrow talent from any other microsoft studio...

I feel the same. I was hoping it would have been in a fantasy setting. Those shooters are always more fun because there aren't that many limitations unlike ones that aim to be realistic.

Probably exactly my reasons. 

I knew the sentence "the next Halo" was meant in terms of big IP and everything, but I also thought about something Sci-Fi. This seems more like a new James Bond/Perfect Darkness

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he is working more directly with Black Tusk Studios, his past job title had him as a Microsoft guy that worked with MS First Party studios to do Lead Design for the already established teams (Bungie and FASA).  So he could be doing something very similar with Black Tusk, also his previous job was in Vancouver, so he may still live there and work more closely with Black Tusk studios while checking in with MS back in Redmond.  It's tough to say, but let's just hope he is involved in a significant way.