RansTheMan

Halo Showdown Casting Criticism/Review Thread

Dont get me wrong, everyone casting did a fantastic job ( and by no means could i personally be as good as them) but here is what needs to be worked on and why Maven was imo the best caster this weekend.

What needs to be worked on:

- "Hype casting" needs to be toned down. I know halo isnt as slow as a game like CS but not every second of a halo match can be casted like something amazing is happening. By no means stop talking but talk slower, at a normal volume and rotate through players and radio cast what they are doing. 

- Back stories/what people are known for. This needs to be done before the series and then never talked about again. The amount of times i heard snipedown is known for his sniper or FiS backstory.... Again, talk about the game, not the players. 

- Staying on a single player for to long. This happened a lot, and caused unneeded filler time for the casters. I know this isnt the casters fault (and we dont have a spectator mode) but this could also help with my first and second point. 

Those are just the 3 big things that i saw this weekend. I felt like Maven did the best because he was honestly the only person that was enjoyable to listen to after the first hour. Obviously he has things to work on as well like to much off topic filler in games. 

Maybe im just soft and am annoyed more easily by (imo) unnecessary loudness and talking. Feel free to disagree and discuss  :maven:

• Upvote (+1) 9

I still dont understand why the chat was hating on maven, I honestly think this is the best maven has casted after months of casting CoD I think CoD helped him as a caster.

What needs to be worked on

- "Hype casting" needs to be toned down. I know halo isnt as slow as a game like CS but not every second of a halo match can be casted like something amazing is happening. By no means stop talking but talk slower, at a normal volume and rotate through players and radio cast what they are doing. 

Absolutely this.

Some of the games I saw I actually thought someone was going to pass out from the amount of emphasis. Let it flow naturally, there are so many opportunities in Halo for the gameplay to work with the caster and it is always so obvious when it does. I don't even need to tell them because they know what to do, listen below; measured, building, genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBIJa8Yo3k

• Upvote (+1) 9

I still dont understand why the chat was hating on maven, I honestly think this is the best maven has casted after months of casting CoD I think CoD helped him as a caster.

The one thing you should do is not to take the chat seriously. The way it was then and even now is the worst chat I've seen in awhile. Especially when 85% of the chat is just spam and trolls.

• Upvote (+1) 2

consecutive 5-10 minute countdowns with no commentary is BULLSHIT

that was a serious slap in the face

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I kinda liked the way Bravo was exaggerating everything, the first few matches were such a drone to watch through then he just made everything exciting. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mavenn was the only one who made me legitimately laught out loud.  I can't really stand this generation of ultra polite and politically correct halo.  I'm just waiting for the players to say "I just wanna thank God and thank my team.  I couldn't have done it without them".  Woooow, so interesting.  It sounds like you are recieving a middle school attendance award.  Mavenn teasing Goldenboy would have been better if Goldenboy could have rolled with the jokes better and shot some back at Mavenn.  Build players' bios and then develop "storylines" between them, X is Y's rival et c.  Drama.  Is.  Fun.  Mavenn.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Yeah it's nice having professional casters but brav + Alex were honestly giving me a headache.

Plus Alex still does the whole 'future tense' stuff all the time, like saying "and snipedown is going to get the headshot on riotz" AFTER it has happened :p

Keen to see Maven + Gandhi duo in the booth.

Bravo almost made me 4G0iuqC.gif  when he started shouting. 

Maven has improved so much since I first saw him 

Goldenboy was a little too hyped 

Bravo way over the top 

Ghost did good

• Upvote (+1) 4

Keen to see Maven + Gandhi duo in the booth.

Gandhi will no longer be casting Halo or CoD since he got hired at Hirez 

Him and Maven were perfection  :(

The loudness of the commentators was extreme for me. I think I'm alone with my issues but it was mostly prevalent when Bravo was commentating. It basically sounded like Bravo was yelling into my room forcing me to turn down the volume and no longer being able to hear the actual game play.

As far as the people commentating, I thought everyone was fine, minus Maven  saying salty 4.

I really thought Ghost did a good job explaining the game types, strategies, and also the reasoning behind individual plays. 

Edit: also, audio mixing was a little off: game sound was too quiet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish someone could dissect the game while it was happening like @@Missingno did with his Halo 1 videos posted here. There might not be anyone out there that could do this on the fly, but that would be amazing! 

I wish they would explain what's happening, and why  for those who are watching that don't play Halo much or don't play competitively. Anyone can just regurgitate whats visually happening.  

Overall they aren't terrible ( Ghost and Bravo being on the bottom end of the four mentioned ). Is there anyone out there that's a good caster that maybe should be given a shot? I'd love to see some new blood on the casting scene.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I enjoyed all of them but the over hyping did get extreme a lot of times. I personally thought Ghost was the biggest contributor of the over hype. He went insane with any basic sniper kill or anything. Aside from that he was really good at explaining things about the game and a good castor. My two favourite overall were actually GoldenBoy and Bravo. Definitely seemed like they could talk about more stuff instead of talking about the same things so many times like someone mentioned earlier about Snipedown. I think I heard them talk about Ogre 1's Lockout game at least 6 times, and Ghost would mention Neighbor every game.

Ghost seemed abnormally more hyped than usual that event with his casting, like he was just randomly screaming "WHOOOOO" every time Snipedown took someone's face off with snipe. Also the high-pitched black person voice or whatever he was doing got annoying after awhile, he still was the most informative caster with the knowledge and the player background, but he needs to tone it down a little bit all the casters do.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I enjoyed the casting, the "hype" made the game more exciting for me.

One thing I want to see is to listen in on the team's communication, since it shows you whats going on within the team and guides new players on the right way to communicate. 

Maven was great, I was laughing for a while when he said that Dietrich from TFG came out of a UFC match.

Team-TFG.jpg

But seriously, does he not scare you?

• Upvote (+1) 1

consecutive 5-10 minute countdowns with no commentary is BULLSHIT

that was a serious slap in the face

I think there was so much downtime because the internet at the event was subpar and I think they were playing on dev kits, hence why there were so many issues and replays. The boxes had to be reset after every game and with Xbox 1 LAN being shitty, I guess it took a while for everything to get set up and working. I don't think they were purposely making us wait longer, it's just unfortunate.

I would assume the next event they do runs much smoother. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Golden boy keeps it professional and takes it very seriously which is great. Much of his commentating comes off as inauthentic and forced though. It's not a football game, it's halo, golf commentators don't yell because it doesn't work with golf and neither does the over hype thing golden boy does with halo.