CyReN

Halo 2 Anniversary Pre-Release Feedback Thread

I see a lot of people saying to lower the auto aim/magnetism, and while I haven't played h2a personally, I have played halo 2 classic, and anyone else familiar with h2 classic can tell you it had a lot of magnetism. The games look comparable to me in that regard.

I see a lot of people saying to lower the auto aim/magnetism, and while I haven't played h2a personally, I have played halo 2 classic, and anyone else familiar with h2 classic can tell you it had a lot of magnetism. The games look comparable to me in that regard.

does H2A have a strafe as good as H2 though?

I haven't had to read this whole thread but I was writing down things I saw that were bad while watching this weekend. Most of these have been mentioned but I'll post all of them for emphasis:

1) Sniper ROF. We saw so many quick double shots with no delay in-between shots and no recoil. I believe the rate of fire needs to be slowed down and/or add some recoil.

Also, why does the snipe sound like a shotgun?

2) hit markers of any kind need to go. This isn't COD.

3) that screen shake tho. Holy earthquake batman. If your gonna have light flair from the explosion you need to ditch the shake, or find a balance between the two. Total blindness and disorientation from nades that aren't even hitting you is bullcrap.

4) sword weapon swap speed and/or lunge distance. I don't mind the lunge so much as it's pretty true to old halo. But the fact you can weapon swap to sword and imediatly sword lunge is a bit much. So maybe just a slight delay with that sword swap.

5) the kill text location. (Like where it says "you killed that noob"). I don't like it being top left. Put it back bottom left and make it less distracting.

6) Medals: the medals suck. Just give us H3 or reach style medals. And there had better be a perfection medal unlike h4. I want him to say it at the end of the game. And the sniper headshot medal needs to be one medal like h3. I don't wanna have to question my own headshot like in h4.

6) flag carrier movement speed is a bit fast

7) grenade indicators need to go

That's all I can think of for now I'll update as I think of more.

• Downvote (-1) 6

If h2a gets maps and some of these tweaks from a competitive and spectator experience it will do big things.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've had a few opportunities to play a good amount of matches over the weekend at Fan Expo Toronto, I have gameplay on my channel and that I am planning to upload to my channel as well.

Overall, I think the game is great. It's very similar to classic Halo 2, it is definitely better than Reach and H4, and runs very fluidly.

The things that I think need to be changed are:

• Remove Grenade Hitmarkers
  • Remove/Heavily Reduce Screen Shake
  • Slightly increase movement speed/make strafing more responsive
  • Increase BR Rate of Fire slightly to match H2 Classic
  • Slight Decrease in Rate of Fire of Sniper

Other than that I don't believe there is anything much that really detracts form the gameplay - yes the medals may be considered a little much but really I'm not that nitpicky about small things and as long as it doesn't hinder the gameplay I don't really care. Reduction in the aim assist in my opinion is something that I don't think will happen... If you ever play Halo 2 classic you can tell there is a considerable amount of magnetism/aim assist. Also, the rate of fire for the sniper rifle is pretty much on par with Halo 2 classic as well in my opinion. We wanted Halo 2, and we are getting it, and some things don't change from the core of the original game. I'm honestly pretty satisfied with the game so far... it's still in production and we have at least another two months and I think 343i has been doing nothing but taking the right steps.

If you are interested in watching the gameplay I have uploading and more I will be uploading my channel is Youtube.com/DrewskysChannel

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't had to read this whole thread but I was writing down things I saw that were bad while watching this weekend. Most of these have been mentioned but I'll post all of them for emphasis:

1) Sniper ROF. We saw so many quick double shots with no delay in-between shots and no recoil. I believe the rate of fire needs to be slowed down and/or add some recoil.

Also, why does the snipe sound like a shotgun?

2) hit markers of any kind need to go. This isn't COD.

3) that screen shake tho. Holy earthquake batman. If your gonna have light flair from the explosion you need to ditch the shake, or find a balance between the two. Total blindness and disorientation from nades that aren't even hitting you is bullcrap.

4) sword weapon swap speed and/or lunge distance. I don't mind the lunge so much as it's pretty true to old halo. But the fact you can weapon swap to sword and imediatly sword lunge is a bit much. So maybe just a slight delay with that sword swap.

5) the kill text location. (Like where it says "you killed that noob"). I don't like it being top left. Put it back bottom left and make it less distracting.

6) Medals: the medals suck. Just give us H3 or reach style medals. And there had better be a perfection medal unlike h4. I want him to say it at the end of the game. And the sniper headshot medal needs to be one medal like h3. I don't wanna have to question my own headshot like in h4.

6) flag carrier movement speed

7) grenade indicators

That's all I can think of for now I'll update as I think of more.

This is Halo 2, don't forget that.

Also, the sniper sounded amazing, sounded like a 50 cal.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I actually didn't mind the screen shake too much, perhaps it needs to be toned down but I thought it added an extra level of difficulty to shooting while being grenades. If I were to put my thoughts in a list I'd say

Gameplay related

• Tone down screen shake
  • Condense hitboxes. (I remember sniping being easy but not as easy as it looked this past weekend..)
  • Remove grenade hitmarkers
  • Less aim assist.
  • Reduce flag run speed significantly.

Other feedback

• Make the medals more noticeable and cut the amount of medals down by about 40%
  • I'd prefer the old BR reticle but its not a priority in my opinion.

Edit: I also do not have a problem with the sniper ROF or the gun sounds.

Also, the sniper sounded amazing, sounded like a 50 cal.

Maybe it's just been too long since I've played h2, but I was stating those from the perspective of overall competitive gameplay. Most of what I posted was small things that aren't game breaking.

For the most part I just wanna see hit markers go away along with screen shake & nade indicators. I'd like to see the medals go back to h3 style because it's encourages and supports "flashy" play and big moments, which is good for the spectators which is good for the competitive scene in general.

Maybe it's just been too long since I've played h2, but I was stating those from the perspective of overall competitive gameplay. Most of what I posted was small things that aren't game breaking.

For the most part I just wanna see hit markers go away along with screen shake & nade indicators. I'd like to see the medals go back to h3 style because it's encourages and supports "flashy" play and big moments, which is good for the spectators which is good for the competitive scene in general.

Changing things like the sniper rate of fire are not going to happen, even if we wanted them to change, we should create a new game, not remake an old game only to alter it's original content.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Screen shake should be toned down, if it isn't removed completely. I am okay with grenade indicators but less so the grenade hit markers. I am happy the sniper doesn't fire at 3000RPM anymore. Sword lunge might have been a bit OP. I actually am not sure why there is the little white whatsit above weapon drops but that is just kinda weird. Seemed like a random implement and I guess if I played it I would know how detrimental it is. I really like the dynamic map elements, and saw a lot of times where the sanc ones could have been used better, maybe put the trigger on the back wall :/

For being a pre-released build I thought the game was amazing.

Keep:

Hitmarkers

Grenade indicators

First point to make is that Hitmarkers actually let you know if your shots are registering. Second, grenade indicators arnt really even that bad, a nicely placed nade will be hard to dodge.

Overall we need to learn to adjust to new things in halo and all new evolved qualities.

133SGq9.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

Changing things like the sniper rate of fire are not going to happen, even if we wanted them to change, we should create a new game, not remake an old game only to alter it's original content.

But one thing bravo said this weekend was this was h2a, not classic. He said there will be that classic h2 experience in mm, but that the h2a gameplay would be different. So I think this is where we can have most of the h2 experience but tweak what isn't the best for competitive play, and for when you want good ok classic h2, you'll still have that. That is what I was trying to say.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But one thing bravo said this weekend was this was h2a, not classic. He said there will be that classic h2 experience in mm, but that the h2a gameplay would be different. So I think this is where we can have most of the h2 experience but tweak what isn't the best for competitive play, and for when you want good ok classic h2, you'll still have that. That is what I was trying to say.

Fair enough, but you also have to remember this is still Halo 2. At the heart of the coding, it's Halo 2. You can change things, but with a 2 month gap until release, changing anything now could be unrealistic. It would take too much time changing code and game play to really know if it's worth the change.

Oh I also don't like weapon markers. That's one of the worst features of h4 and it closes skill gap. I'm sorry but if your a noob and you wanna get good you need to put in the effort of learning weapon spawn locations and timing. That creates skill gap. Having the game tell you when things drop or where they drop not only is visually unappealing but hurts online play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If I'm correct, EXcellence 3-0'd everyone besides dropping one game to TCM? The skillgap is back.

Excellence was down 2-0 to Triggers Down I'm pretty sure. They came back and won the series though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fair enough, but you also have to remember this is still Halo 2. At the heart of the coding, it's Halo 2. You can change things, but with a 2 month gap until release, changing anything now could be unrealistic. It would take too much time changing code and game play to really know if it's worth the change.

Agreed. But the more of this feedback they can implement before release the better, and they can always TU after the fact.

I'm sure that no matter what we will be pleased with the end product.

If I'm correct, EXcellence 3-0'd everyone besides dropping one game to TCM? The skillgap is back.

No. Triggers Down went up on them 2-0, and then they fought back and won 3-2. Best series of the weekend

No. Triggers Down went up on them 2-0, and then they fought back and won 3-2. Best series of the weekend.

yeah wtf was i saying. cant believe i forgot that detail.

Things that need to be changed / fixed

• Bleedthrough to make the melee reliable.
  • Tone back the Grenade-quakes.
  • Flag speed

Things that need to be removed

• Grenade indicator's
  • Grenade Hitmarkers

(I prefer having the hitmarkers on shots because of online)

Other than that stuff, this game looks amazing. I just hope they have another arena map planned.

I want Midship but they are remaking it for Halo 5 so I don't see them using it for H2A, so hopefully Warlock or something.

It doesn't add anything to the gameplay either, though. 

True it doesn't add anything but it doesn't detract from gameplay. Its one of those things that just is a staple of modern fps games and makes the game a little more welcoming to new players without being noob friendly.

I think the sniper rate of fire should be slowed down a little. 

The sniper rate of fire was almost exactly the same in H2 classic as it is in H2 Anniversary! To change it would be wrong !!!

• Upvote (+1) 4

H2A is screaming to have more than 6 maps. Forge maps are great and all. But there are times where I want to see an actual map instead of objects that I see in every forge map.

Yo Bonnie Ross herself did say possible DLC could be on the way after launch!!! Hyppppppppeee!!! 

• Upvote (+1) 4