Sign in to follow this  
Joseph

Halo: The Return

Watched this multiple times already but didn't get a chance to say it yet, unbelievable job @Snipetality 

Everything was on point, music fit really well, too! Can't wait until November :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've watch this multiple times and I just realized I haven't said anything in this thread yet. Superb job, Snipe! This couldn't be any more perfect.

That SUNDANCE interview is from at least 2 years ago now. Halo was on the table then, then it died and was buried. I hope it comes back, but I'm cautious. There's such a long way to go to build the level of tournaments, teams, players and infrastructure that was there. MLG apparently never made money with Halo even at it's height and 343i isn't a tournament company, so it should be interesting to see if MLG steps back in to lead the charge with Halo because if they don't, they might lose out to another organization.

MLG made their choice that when things weren't hot they jumped. We do not need them anymore. We need to focus on making our content the best it can be, make sure we are loud with hype to spread awareness and hope 343 gives Halo seasonal tournaments. MLG has shat on the face of Halo 100 times and casuals will not become fans of competitive Halo with the way MLG ran Halo and I do NOT want to see MLG have control over where pro players participate at events. 

It is MLG's fault Halo did not have a home for the past 4 years. MLG killed smaller tournament holders back in the day by putting players on MLG ONLY contracts ( And I dont even think it was over contracts either. I think MLG simply threatened to ban pros who played anywhere else ) and the consequence of us accepting this was we had nowhere to go. 

MLG holding events are fine, but if they try to force players to only play/stream on MLG.TV and only play at events, they need to get F&%KTTT and we have 343/ESL to take care of us.|

Even then, we need to take care of ourselves from now on. 

MLG made their choice that when things weren't hot they jumped. We do not need them anymore. We need to focus on making our content the best it can be, make sure we are loud with hype to spread awareness and hope 343 gives Halo seasonal tournaments. MLG has shat on the face of Halo 100 times and casuals will not become fans of competitive Halo with the way MLG ran Halo and I do NOT want to see MLG have control over where pro players participate at events.

It is MLG's fault Halo did not have a home for the past 4 years. MLG killed smaller tournament holders back in the day by putting players on MLG ONLY contracts ( And I dont even think it was over contracts either. I think MLG simply threatened to ban pros who played anywhere else ) and the consequence of us accepting this was we had nowhere to go.

MLG holding events are fine, but if they try to force players to only play/stream on MLG.TV and only play at events, they need to get F&%KTTT and we have 343/ESL to take care of us.|

Even then, we need to take care of ourselves from now on.

That's just not true. It is not MLG's fault that Halo didn't have a home, Halo didn't have a home because the games were dog shit and people didn't have fun playing them. MLG is a business, they're not a charity. They ran Halo tournaments better than anyone else in terms of productions, commentating, content, analysis, ect. They have vastly more financial resources than everyone else and I don't think anther league is poised to do it for halo. 343 is again a dev and not going to be a long term option.

343 is again a dev and not going to be a long term option.

There are devs out there who do a lot for their comp scene. It depends how seriously 343 take eSports.

There are devs out there who do a lot for their comp scene. It depends how seriously 343 take eSports.

It's fair to say imho is that they operate under completely different business models and 343i would have to pull a virtual 180 to do that. 343i makes there money from enormous sales of their games, not esports. 

What I imagine will happen is that 343i will drum up a lot of publicity and ingratiate themselves with the competitive audience for future sales from map packs to games but not to start selling tournament passes or getting other sponsors. This is great but it still leaves the need for a tournament league to run Halo.

It also depends on how well 343 can integrate Halo e-sports into the Halo community as a whole and make that an attractive option for the average player. As of right now, Halo's e-sport audience is not big enough to warrant much attention from the developers.

343 has to make Halo e-sports accessible through in-game streams, social media, through community fund-raising like Valve does, through a universal comp rule-set in Halo so casuals dont feel alienated, or other methods because as of right now if I am a default Halo player how do I get into Halo e-sports? By going to Teambeyond.net? By happening across a pro player stream on Twitch? By playing Team Throwdown once getting my ass handed to me playing a foreign game of vastly different rules and maps from default?

343 has shown they will be involved in the tournament scene moving forward and a "central hub" for Halo entertainment/news like the Halo channel on Twitch is a step in the right direction, but Halo e-sports has never been and is still not accessible or attractive to the average player. We have to accept we are a niche community for a reason and little "new Halo players" have actually become integrated into the competitive scene in the last few years and care about the scene like the "old guard" does. How many new Halo players know who Final Boss is or who players like T2 or Ogre 2 are?

Halo has major hurdles to over-come to expand Halo e-sports into the main community like we see with other e-sports from the development and the community side. Its NOT just a matter of getting the most L33T competitive Halo and getting back into MLG and we will be "back" like some people think it is.

It's fair to say imho is that they operate under completely different business models and 343i would have to pull a virtual 180 to do that. 343i makes there money from enormous sales of their games, not esports. 

What I imagine will happen is that 343i will drum up a lot of publicity and ingratiate themselves with the competitive audience for future sales from map packs to games but not to start selling tournament passes or getting other sponsors. This is great but it still leaves the need for a tournament league to run Halo.

It also depends on how well 343 can integrate Halo e-sports into the Halo community as a whole and make that an attractive option for the average player. As of right now, Halo's e-sport audience is not big enough to warrant much attention from the developers.

343 has to make Halo e-sports accessible through in-game streams, social media, through community fund-raising like Valve does, through a universal comp rule-set in Halo so casuals dont feel alienated, or other methods because as of right now if I am a default Halo player how do I get into Halo e-sports? By going to Teambeyond.net? By happening across a pro player stream on Twitch? By playing Team Throwdown once getting my ass handed to me playing a foreign game of vastly different rules and maps from default?

343 has shown they will be involved in the tournament scene moving forward and a "central hub" for Halo entertainment/news like the Halo channel on Twitch is a step in the right direction, but Halo e-sports has never been and is still not accessible or attractive to the average player. We have to accept we are a niche community for a reason and little "new Halo players" have actually become integrated into the competitive scene in the last few years and care about the scene like the "old guard" does. How many new Halo players know who Final Boss is or who players like T2 or Ogre 2 are?

Halo has major hurdles to over-come to expand Halo e-sports into the main community like we see with other e-sports from the development and the community side. Its NOT just a matter of getting the most L33T competitive Halo and getting back into MLG and we will be "back" like some people think it is.

@@Velo ESL could be a possible TO to run in conjunction with 343 for the future.

@@Hitman Halo channel is definitely a start, yep. It's not an overnight thing, it will take time if 343 want to push eSports for Halo. The right time to really push for it would be for H5 launch, with them building it up throughout MCC. If H5 can nail the universal settings so casuals can get into the tournaments because the game is similar, that's the best case scenario. Plus, we'll hopefully get an awesome Spec mode which will really help. MCC is the building block to create hype, bring new fans in and keep them going into H5 Beta and then H5 launch.

That's just not true. It is not MLG's fault that Halo didn't have a home, Halo didn't have a home because the games were dog shit and people didn't have fun playing them. MLG is a business, they're not a charity. They ran Halo tournaments better than anyone else in terms of productions, commentating, content, analysis, ect. They have vastly more financial resources than everyone else and I don't think anther league is poised to do it for halo. 343 is again a dev and not going to be a long term option.

Do your research. Players we're has very little resources to promote themselves and MLG did a lot of sneaky shit that bit Halo in the ass 

Until the majority of competitive players players get off of their lazy asses and start PERSISTENTLY running local and online lans/tournaments nationwide and don't stop trying to grow the scene in a friendly way, I won't like hearing people talk about MLG picking up the MCC.  The fighting game community shows us that there is a way to move forward and it's our fault if we don't take it and tournament Halo doesn't take off.  /salt

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do your research. Players we're has very little resources to promote themselves and MLG did a lot of sneaky shit that bit Halo in the ass 

Does your research include event turnouts and VoD numbers in Halo's dying days?

Do my research? haha okay..I've been following the scene and attending events since 05 oh great halo knowledge boy.

You're absolutely right, all the other tournament leagues didn't do sneaky shit..right?

MLG provided a golden age of tournament play in Halo from 04' to 09', no other organization has come remotely close. The powers that be at MLG also love halo and if there's a market to possibly be had to just get to even or barely break it, you better believe they'll do it.

Does your research include event turnouts and VoD numbers in Halo's dying days?

That's not the point. Halo may have killed itself but MLG didn't help the case either. 

Do my research? haha okay..I've been following the scene and attending events since 05 oh great halo knowledge boy.

You're absolutely right, all the other tournament leagues didn't do sneaky shit..right?

MLG provided a golden age of tournament play in Halo from 04' to 09', no other organization has come remotely close. The powers that be at MLG also love halo and if there's a market to possibly be had to just get to even or barely break it, you better believe they'll do it.

I'm sure they will, but if they try to dictate the pros into playing and streaming only where they want to stream, we will end up the same as we did before if Halo 5's quality is poo. We should set our site at 343 and now ESL. 

That's not the point. Halo may have killed itself but MLG didn't help the case either. 

Sundance's tweets... man, those became from exciting to annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Until the majority of competitive players players get off of their lazy asses and start PERSISTENTLY running local and online lans/tournaments nationwide and don't stop trying to grow the scene in a friendly way, I won't like hearing people talk about MLG picking up the MCC.  The fighting game community shows us that there is a way to move forward and it's our fault if we don't take it and tournament Halo doesn't take off.  /salt

You've read my mind. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sure they will, but if they try to dictate the pros into playing and streaming only where they want to stream, we will end up the same as we did before if Halo 5's quality is poo. We should set our site at 343 and now ESL.

You're making a tired old argument that just is not accurate. As you mature, you'll realize you cannot MAKE people do anything. People will do what they WANT to do. So in the context of Halo, it means that if pros like the game and WANT to produce content because they enjoy doing it or think there's a chance they'll make money, then they'll do it. If they don't, they won't. Telling pros they need to put out content doesn't do shit. As SUNDANCE said in the video, the problem with halo never had anything to do with pros putting out a lack of content, it was that the game was dog shit. If you're expecting teenagers to suddenly become mature and stay consistent with putting out content out of the goodness of their heart, you're sorely mistaken.

You're making a tired old argument that just is not accurate. As you mature, you'll realize you cannot MAKE people do anything. People will do what they WANT to do. So in the context of Halo, it means that if pros like the game and WANT to produce content because they enjoy doing it or think there's a chance they'll make money, then they'll do it. If they don't, they won't. Telling pros they need to put out content doesn't do shit. As SUNDANCE said in the video, the problem with halo never had anything to do with pros putting out a lack of content, it was that the game was dog shit. If you're expecting teenagers to suddenly become mature and stay consistent with putting out content out of the goodness of their heart, you're sorely mistaken.

I'm 23 years old, bro and been around a long time too. Don't assume shit just because you're old as fuck. So don't come at me with the mature bullshit. MLG did not help Halo at all with some of the shady shit they did. Period. 

And like Hizel said, we don't need to worry about that shit. The Halo community needs to take care of themselves first outside of big events. Even the 343 events.