Sign in to follow this  
Champloo

Do Melees Need to be Nerfed?

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should the melee be less powerful in future halo titles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

definitely have no problem w/ a system based on hitboxes rather than lunging.  not super sure as to damage, tho.  I like the concept of 75% damage to shields, but not sure bout it in practice

definitely have no problem w/ a system based on hitboxes rather than lunging.  not super sure as to damage, tho.  I like the concept of 75% damage to shields, but not sure bout it in practice

2 beatdowns with a br/dmr should never kill, so i like it because at 75%, a shot to the head will still kill.

2 beatdowns with a br/dmr should never kill, so i like it because at 75%, a shot to the head will still kill.

yeah, I found it a nice change of pace when it was in some reach settings.

definitely into anything that discourages rushing in for melees.  but I'm also considering that removing lunge on its own might be enough to make rushes significantly less of a safe bet, even w/o damage reduction.  would have to play a match with no lunge + those damage settings before I could say how I felt about it.  though it does seem like the right direction.

Hopefully in Halo 5 melees are a lot like Halo 1's melee system so shooting close range happens more compared to someone just trying to melee you an then throwing a grenade an getting you from the grave.

I don't know that they should be "nerfed" per se, but they should be harder to use effectively. Bring back momentum based damage and make it so 2hks only happen when moving forward full speed or jumping. Also dramatic reduction in hitbox size so that you actually have to be aiming at your opponent to land a melee (this would also ideally create other close quarter options, like ducking an opponent's melee).

I'm fine with them killing in 2 hits, but it needs to be harder and the system needs more depth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hadn't really thought of this before but now that it's been brought up I think I really like this idea... The whole, "melee-jump-backwards-headshot" tactic is getting kinda old.

It's fun to pull off and all but ehh, it really isn't all that interesting anymore... It's one way to make melees a little more interesting without button-combos anyway. Maybe 2 melees, give-or-take, at full shields to pop them and then one more to kill...

Wouldn't mind that at all... In fact, it seems like Halo 2 was like that, if I remember correctly.

I don't know that they should be "nerfed" per se, but they should be harder to use effectively. Bring back momentum based damage and make it so 2hks only happen when moving forward full speed or jumping. Also dramatic reduction in hitbox size so that you actually have to be aiming at your opponent to land a melee (this would also ideally create other close quarter options, like ducking an opponent's melee).

I'm fine with them killing in 2 hits, but it needs to be harder and the system needs more depth.

Making melees harder to use effectively in the ways you mentioned are "nerfs." A nerf doesn't just have to be lowering the damage. I agree the system needs to be harder.