Sign in to follow this  
HaloParent

Halo Parents

First, we would like to extend our sincere appreciation to AGL for keeping Halo 4 alive.  Our son's first love is and always will be competing in Halo tournaments, and without you that would have been taken from him.

We have supported him, laughed with him, cheered for him, cried with him since 2007.  We scrape money together to ensure he can attend these events and Knoxville was his 13th competition.  We've run out late at night getting him a new battery pack, gone to 4 different stores hunting down the correct mic., called countless establishments trying to locate the tough to find adapters, all so he can continue his online practice. We do it without hesitation, so he can follow what he is passionate about, Halo 4.

We are not the only parents that have done this and much more, because we love you, and are so very proud of you. 

To the players...take a moment, walk up to your parents, give them a hug, and say "Thanks".

That's a really nice story and I think what you do for your son is amazing. I wish my mum had been the same when I was always trying to game. It's hard for parents in this generation to realise that gaming is more than just endless hours of shooting enemies and talking trash.

First, we would like to extend our sincere appreciation to AGL for keeping Halo 4 alive.  Our son's first love is and always will be competing in Halo tournaments, and without you that would have been taken from him.

We have supported him, laughed with him, cheered for him, cried with him since 2007.  We scrape money together to ensure he can attend these events and Knoxville was his 13th competition.  We've run out late at night getting him a new battery pack, gone to 4 different stores hunting down the correct mic., called countless establishments trying to locate the tough to find adapters, all so he can continue his online practice. We do it without hesitation, so he can follow what he is passionate about, Halo 4.

We are not the only parents that have done this and much more, because we love you, and are so very proud of you. 

To the players...take a moment, walk up to your parents, give them a hug, and say "Thanks".

this is awesome! lets hope he progresses and gets himself known!

My parents supported me by not bothering me when I wanted to sit in the basement, and pound Coronas during my respawn timer, after I got home from baseball.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What an excellent post :)

That's a really nice story and I think what you do for your son is amazing. I wish my mum had been the same when I was always trying to game. It's hard for parents in this generation to realise that gaming is more than just endless hours of shooting enemies and talking trash.

I agree. My parents see it as a distraction from the real world. I bought myself the 7h headset using T2's discount and it was about 80 dollars. They got mad at me for spending $80 on a gaming headset because there are plenty of earphones that will do the job just fine for 20-30 dollars. Still using the 7h's a year and a half later, good headset

Your son better watch his grades , because he hasn't been doing to well lately. Looking good for him at the moment, now that he has some new wheels.

I agree. My parents see it as a distraction from the real world. I bought myself the 7h headset using T2's discount and it was about 80 dollars. They got mad at me for spending $80 on a gaming headset because there are plenty of earphones that will do the job just fine for 20-30 dollars. Still using the 7h's a year and a half later, good headset

Parents don't understand that money is only an obstacle if you don't see the worth in something. For instance, you know what it feels like to own a quality set of gaming headsets, but they're expensive and worth it to you. Where as a non gamer would be like "that's a ridiculous amount of money for that ". 

Parents don't understand that money is only an obstacle if you don't see the worth in something. For instance, you know what it feels like to own a quality set of gaming headsets, but they're expensive and worth it to you. Where as a non gamer would be like "that's a ridiculous amount of money for that ". 

Most of us see very clearly what the worth of Halo is.  You guys/gals are passionate about it, work on your craft everyday in order to improve, you lose matches only to come back with a determination to win the next time.

That's what life is all about.  Those characteristics will assist you as you become older, to achieve whatever your goals are.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Most of us see very clearly what the worth of Halo is.  You guys/gals are passionate about it, work on your craft everyday in order to improve, you lose matches only to come back with a determination to win the next time.

That's what life is all about.  Those characteristics will assist you as you become older, to achieve whatever your goals are.

The gaming community in general need more parents like you.

I think people in general dont understand that some people see value or quality in some things when others dont. I spend 175-250 dollars on soccer cleats. Some people see that as absolutely ridiculous and I can see why... I played 4 years of college soccer (Just played my senior year -_- ) after having played since I was very young. I found plenty of value in investing in quality cleats bc there is a huge gap in quality when you are purchasing cleats. They last longer, more durable, are made of better material, mold to your feet better etc. etc. It is all about the value you find in something and not the price tag on it.

I think people in general dont understand that some people see value or quality in some things when others dont. I spend 175-250 dollars on soccer cleats. Some people see that as absolutely ridiculous and I can see why... I played 4 years of college soccer (Just played my senior year -_- ) after having played since I was very young. I found plenty of value in investing in quality cleats bc there is a huge gap in quality when you are purchasing cleats. They last longer, more durable, are made of better material, mold to your feet better etc. etc. It is all about the value you find in something and not the price tag on it.

I hope you bought copa mundials or adipures III's. Only boots worth buying :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Great to hear, always supporting your son in whatever he chooses. I was fortunate to ahve a mother who did the same for with soccer, who drove me to games all over, tournaments, tons of practices, while having 2 siblings that played high level as well. I am sure your son is as proud to have parents like you guys to how proud I am of my mom

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope you bought copa mundials or adipures III's. Only boots worth buying :)

lol I have bought plenty of boots in my day.... my favorites were either some diadoras I had when I was a freshmen in high school or some t90 lasers I had my sophmore year of college, brought me some goals! lol

Haha I know what you mean, not only paying that much for cleats, I have to pay around the same amount for my goalie gloves as well. It made that difference to the point where the team I play on now pays for my equipment :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haha I know what you mean, not only paying that much for cleats, I have to pay around the same amount for my goalie gloves as well. It made that difference to the point where the team I play on now pays for my equipment :)

Oh yeah I know keepers and their gloves... lol I wish I could have played semi-pro somewhere, I guess I still could. I just woop up on scrubs in adult leagues anyways....  :unclesudd:

Who is the player with these parents? I am so curious right now.

It doesn't really matter. I would never say, as the player would be embarrassed.  Just know that we are proud of the commitment and perseverance you display towards what you love to do.

^^ That, and as a parent of a player I know that there is a lot of us that support our kids. Fortunately mine ended up getting Stipends from MLG and still has sponsors but for the first 5 years since he was 12 his mom and I were his sponsor and biggest fans (still are his biggest fans) Watching AGL 7 on stream PaPaMikwen and MamaChig were nervous wrecks watching their boys. It's about family and passion and support and understanding. Many of the parents that don't support their kids and esports would be the first one to their kids football game which is wonderful but be the first one to twitch or battlefield too!

^^ That, and as a parent of a player I know that there is a lot of us that support our kids. Fortunately mine ended up getting Stipends from MLG and still has sponsors but for the first 5 years since he was 12 his mom and I were his sponsor and biggest fans (still are his biggest fans) Watching AGL 7 on stream PaPaMikwen and MamaChig were nervous wrecks watching their boys. It's about family and passion and support and understanding. Many of the parents that don't support their kids and esports would be the first one to their kids football game which is wonderful but be the first one to twitch or battlefield too!

BRAVO!!!! Mikwen and Chig are prime examples of young men that have, with the guidance and love of their parents, persevered and become some of the top players on the circuit.  Both, will do well in whatever endeavors they ultimately decide to pursue.

On the flip side, there are 100's of players who will never reach the level of Mikewn or Chig.  These young men continue to get knocked down, yet they get up, practice, and come back to fight again.  As parents, that's really all we can ask of our kids.  You're all learning to become fine young men.

Well, congratulations to you and your son for being wonderful.

To bad my parents didn't let me travel/with my team so I couldn't go to events.

AGL OC better happen soon so I can get back into Halo.

Well said. My friends and family think the amount I spend on Golf is insane. Outside of gaming it is my biggest hobby and something I love to do. Naturally that means I spend a lot of money doing it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well said. My friends and family think the amount I spend on Golf is insane. Outside of gaming it is my biggest hobby and something I love to do. Naturally that means I spend a lot of money doing it.

Exactly! Its about the value you see it, not others! My girlfriend is in love with purses, shoes, and iPhone cases (like most other girls) its crazy to me sometimes that she spends that much on all of that, but thats what she loves so the value to her is all that matters! its all about perceived value. I paid 400 dollars for my xbox three years ago, (black slim) some people think im crazy for doing that but I have had so much fun playing on it and the payback is well worth the investment. Its all about the value you see in whatever your hobby is, whether thats gaming, sports, hunting, shopping, computers, tbs, etc etc. 

As a parent the challenge I always face is teaching my kid that "you don't get something nothing". I am more than willing to support my kid in any endeavor he grows a passion for. At the same time he best notice the trash cans need to be brought in, the pool needs cleaning and my car needs to be washed. I not saying he would have to do all this in one day, I am just saying it's a lot easier for me to buy him a new headset after my pool has been cleaned??

Like my father always told me, "If you have completed all of your assigned tasks at work and still on the clock, pick up a broom and sweep"